There Is No Tomorrow: Bush Proposes $3.11 Trillion Budget

As much as I don't like Bush, how do you place the blame on him, when Congress as a whole is BACKING it?

3.11 TRILLION DOLLARS??? WHAT THE FUCK?? So maybe they'll tinker around with it, and get it to where they like it better..

What would that be...maybe 2.5 Trillion?? 2 Trillion?? What's the god damn difference at this point.

I blame the Democrats and Republicans. They are all in the same boat. Each side gets some votes from the other, so I don’t see that much difference. Also, as far as I remember per my knowledge of political history, each administration has, in one way or another, increased our national debt. Here is a neat web site.

http://www.brillig.com/debt_clock/

Did you even pretend to read my posts? I addressed that.

No you did not. Prior to the dems taking over the system still required that President Bush get one Congressman and one Senator to submit his budget proposals. Further your whine about him "coordinating" closely with Republicans in both houses has zero bearing on the fact that CONGRESS NOT the President creates the Budget. Nor is it somehow unethical or illegal for him and them to have worked closely together.

The last Budget was a dem one and the next Budget will also be a DEM one. Complaining that Bush made it is in fact a blatant lie. Even if everything he asks for is approved, he did not make it. And Democrats not Republicans will have made the Budget.

Which still does not make it him writing the budget.

True.

Correct me if I’m wrong but I think that he can, in a simple way, write a budget if he wants to and send it to congress. He can say “Hey, guys. Please look at this idea that I wrote out and consider it. This is the direction that I want to take.” Then congress can toss in into their stack of stuff to consider or trash as they see fit.

True.

Correct me if I’m wrong but I think that he can, in a simple way, write a budget if he wants to and send it to congress. He can say “Hey, guys. Please look at this idea that I wrote out and consider it. This is the direction that I want to take.” Then congress can toss in into their stack of stuff to consider or trash as they see fit.
The Federal budget process:

http://www.senate.gov/reference/resources/pdf/98-472.pdf

First Monday in February President submits budget to Congress.

February 15 Congressional Budget Office submits economic and budget
outlook report to Budget Committees.

Six weeks after President submits budget Committees submit views and estimates to Budget Committees.

April 1 Senate Budget Committee reports budget resolution.

April 15 Congress completes action on budget resolution.

May 15 Annual appropriations bills may be considered in the House, even
if action on budget resolution has not been completed.

June 10 House Appropriations Committee reports last annual
appropriations bill.

June 15 House completes action on reconciliation legislation (if required
by budget resolution).

June 30 House completes action on annual appropriations bills.

July 15 President submits mid-session review of his budget to Congress.

October 1 Fiscal year begins.
In short it is the President's Office of Management and Budget that writes the Federal Budget. To say Congress writes it is flat wrong. The Congress reviews it, adds and subtracts what they want, and agrees or disagrees with the line items submitted by the President. Then the Congress allocates money for the revised Budget that was submitted by the President. The congress controls the money, the President submits the budget. This year, Bush submitted a budget for $3.11 trillion, which Congress will approve, disapprove, modify.

True.

Anyone in this country can do that.

The fault still lies with the Democratic majority in the end. The budget is their Constitutional purview. If they don't like it, they should send Bush one they do like and keep sending it to him until he signs it.

Except that the GOP controlled everything in Washington from 2002 through 2006, and this is what they wrought.

Blaming the Democrats for the budgetary mess is frackin' joke. Its like blaming the guy who couldn't catch the barnyard animals and not the guy who left the barn door open.

The Federal budget process:

In short it is the President's Office of Management and Budget that writes the Federal Budget. To say Congress writes it is flat wrong. The Congress reviews it, adds and subtracts what they want, and agrees or disagrees with the line items submitted by the President. Then the Congress allocates money for the revised Budget that was submitted by the President. The congress controls the money, the President submits the budget. This year, Bush submitted a budget for $3.11 trillion, which Congress will approve, disapprove, modify.

Wrong again. The President PROPOSES a Budget and those offices coordinate the proposals. EACH and every bill required to CREATE the Budget is created in the House and Senate and MUST be created BY a member of that House.

The President does nothing more than propose. He can not tell Congress what to do, he can not make them write a budget he demands or requests. All he can do is submit a proposal and work to get a member or members of each house to create the actual bill to create the budget he wants.

I suggest you REREAD how the Constitution delegates the powers.

All money BILLS must originate IN the House, the Senate can originate continuations of existing money bills ( meaning the budgets) Both houses have to agree to the same exact bill and meet to work out compromises on the bills that are not identical.

The President has ZERO, NADA, NO , power to create ANY bill in congress, that would include any and all BUDGET bills.

Wrong again. The President PROPOSES a Budget and those offices coordinate the proposals. EACH and every bill required to CREATE the Budget is created in the House and Senate and MUST be created BY a member of that House.

The President does nothing more than propose. He can not tell Congress what to do, he can not make them write a budget he demands or requests. All he can do is submit a proposal and work to get a member or members of each house to create the actual bill to create the budget he wants.

I suggest you REREAD how the Constitution delegates the powers.

All money BILLS must originate IN the House, the Senate can originate continuations of existing money bills ( meaning the budgets) Both houses have to agree to the same exact bill and meet to work out compromises on the bills that are not identical.

The President has ZERO, NADA, NO , power to create ANY bill in congress, that would include any and all BUDGET bills.
That's news to the Office of Management and Budget, that reports to the President, and writes the Budget proposal. The Budget authorization bills do precisely that, authorize. No where in Congress is the Budget written. You are for some reason desperate to exonerate Bush for the Budgets he submitted to the Congress. Of course the President and the Congress both share responsibility for the Budget: the amount of spending, and where the money is spent. In committee, the Congress acts upon the Budget submitted by the President, written by the Office of Management and Budget, and no where in the Congress is the Budget written. In Committee, the Congress modifies, adds and subtracts from the Budget written by the President via the OMB, but be absolutely clear, the Congress does not write the Federal Budget. You may jump through any semantic hoop you like, but the Budget creation process originates with the President. If the President does not like the modifications to the Budget agreed by Congress, then he vetoes the appropriations bill. But go ahead dispute the US Senate outline of the Federal Budget process posted above. What part of "after President submits budget, Committees submit views and estimates to Budget Committees" do you not understand? Do you suppose what these guys are posting is false: "OMB's predominant mission is to assist the President in overseeing the preparation of the federal budget and to supervise its administration in Executive Branch agencies." Mission Statement of the Office of Management and Budget, which reports to the President. http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/organization/role.html. The point of this thread is the wildly out of balance budget submitted by the President. Yet RGS rather than comment on that tries to deflect and claim that the Congress authors the Budget: "You are of course aware that Congress, no the President, creates the Budget," which is patently false.

That's news to the Office of Management and Budget, that reports to the President, and writes the Budget proposal. The Budget authorization bills do precisely that, authorize. No where in Congress is the Budget written. You are for some reason desperate to exonerate Bush for the Budgets he submitted to the Congress. Of course the President and the Congress both share responsibility for the Budget: the amount of spending, and where the money is spent. In committee, the Congress acts upon the Budget submitted by the President, written by the Office of Management and Budget, and no where in the Congress is the Budget written. In Committee, the Congress modifies, adds and subtracts from the Budget written by the President via the OMB, but be absolutely clear, the Congress does not write the Federal Budget. You may jump through any semantic hoop you like, but the Budget creation process originates with the President. If the President does not like the modifications to the Budget agreed by Congress, then he vetoes the appropriations bill. But go ahead dispute the US Senate outline of the Federal Budget process posted above. What part of "after President submits budget, Committees submit views and estimates to Budget Committees" do you not understand? Do you suppose what these guys are posting is false: "OMB's predominant mission is to assist the President in overseeing the preparation of the federal budget and to supervise its administration in Executive Branch agencies." Mission Statement of the Office of Management and Budget, which reports to the President. http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/organization/role.html. The point of this thread is the wildly out of balance budget submitted by the President. Yet RGS rather than comment on that tries to deflect and claim that the Congress authors the Budget: "You are of course aware that Congress, no the President, creates the Budget," which is patently false.

Are you incapable of reality. READ the Constitution. The President can NOT make Congress create a bill he wants no matter how much he wants it.

Are you incapable of reality. READ the Constitution. The President can NOT make Congress create a bill he wants no matter how much he wants it.

I think that he can, indirectly, in a manner of speaking and strategy. He can veto each and every bill that is sent to him until he receives a bill that he said that he wanted. He can be stubborn that way. Yet, I also understand that congress can override the veto - though overrides are hard to come by. So if Bush keeps pushing congress then, short of a veto override, he can make Congress create a bill he wants.

So if Bush keeps pushing congress then, short of a veto override, he can make Congress create a bill he wants.

Not necessarily. Congress has the same power to simply refuse to send a Bill the President likes, just like the President has the power to refuse to sign Bills Congress likes. When that happens, and things start grinding to a halt for lack of a budget, then you get to see who blinks first (i.e. who perceives they have the most to lose).

Not necessarily. Congress has the same power to simply refuse to send a Bill the President likes, just like the President has the power to refuse to sign Bills Congress likes. When that happens, and things start grinding to a halt for lack of a budget, then you get to see who blinks first (i.e. who perceives they have the most to lose).

Fair enough - agreed

Why should this last Bush budget be any different that those of preceding years? By the time the Bush years are over, his budgets will have blown about $3.5 trillion in money that we did not have. Money that we have had to borrow from overseas and from future generations. From the first Bush deficit budget to the last, I have argued that we are weakened when we borrow and spend such vast sums. Right now, for example, we owe Japan close to $600 billion, China $380 billion, and OPEC $130 billion. How would you like to pay the interest on that? Well, you are. If the Iraq War was a good idea, then we should not have been afraid to actually pay for it with reduced spending elsewhere and a war tax. Instead, Bush just billed the gigantic expense to future generations. How politically weak and economically mindless was that? These past seven years we have been swimming down to Wal-Mart to buy Chinese goods and floating in an ocean of money that we have not even earned yet. Maybe instead of attacking Iraq, we should have just purchased it. And this year, we are seeing the results of Bush economic and energy policy. We have done zero during the Bush years to gain energy independence, and that was deriliction of duty. Bush did zip to develop oil shale or coal gasification. As far as I am aware, not one new nuclear power plant has been started during the past seven years. Because of the Bush derilection of energy policy duty, we now get to suck up the entire shock of $100 per barrel oil, while simultaneously pumping up our enemies, such as Chavez, the Mullahs, and yes, Putin.

Do you think that 9/11 could have anything to do with the Bush defecits?http://www.ccc.nps.navy.mil/si/aug02/homeland.asp

Let me think here the restructering of the intelligence communities, a new cabinet department to protect Americans from terrorism in Dept. of Homeland Defense....guess you would propose leaving this country open for terrorist to attack huh??

Wonder if 800 billion dollars in spending proposed by Obama would make you happy though huh?

Do you think that 9/11 could have anything to do with the Bush defecits?http://www.ccc.nps.navy.mil/si/aug02/homeland.asp

Let me think here the restructering of the intelligence communities, a new cabinet department to protect Americans from terrorism in Dept. of Homeland Defense....guess you would propose leaving this country open for terrorist to attack huh??

Wonder if 800 billion dollars in spending proposed by Obama would make you happy though huh?

We needed a brand new, biggest bureaucracy in US government history, to protect us from terrorists? We can't just get the acts of the alphabet agencies together now that we know what to expect?

You're only argument is to bash the opposition. It's all the OTHER side's fault. That's such a narrow minded way of looking at it. It's BOTH sides' fault!

We needed a brand new, biggest bureaucracy in US government history, to protect us from terrorists? We can't just get the acts of the alphabet agencies together now that we know what to expect?

You're only argument is to bash the opposition. It's all the OTHER side's fault. That's such a narrow minded way of looking at it. It's BOTH sides' fault!

I'm not bashing you or anybody else for that matter. I just didn't agree with your assumptoin. No I think if you think about it, the Dept. of H.S. has thrawted several terrorist attacks.

Steerpike wrote:
Congress has the same power to simply refuse to send a Bill the President likes, just like the President has the power to refuse to sign Bills Congress likes. When that happens, and things start grinding to a halt for lack of a budget, then you get to see who blinks first (i.e. who perceives they have the most to lose).

I can agree with that. Government needs funding. Congress passes a funding bill and sends it to the President. The President vetos it. End of story (almost). When the funds run out, then government starts to shut down. Congress has done its job. What more could be asked for?

I'm not bashing you or anybody else for that matter. I just didn't agree with your assumptoin. No I think if you think about it, the Dept. of H.S. has thrawted several terrorist attacks.

If I think about it? How would I really even know, besides them telling me?

I just find it hard to believe that the greatest, wealthiest nation on Earth can not thwart terrorism properly without the biggest federal government bureaucracy in history being in place. I mean, how did we ever survive as a nation up until it was created? :rolleyes:

It ought to embarrass most people.

If I think about it? How would I really even know, besides them telling me?

I just find it hard to believe that the greatest, wealthiest nation on Earth can not thwart terrorism properly without the biggest federal government bureaucracy in history being in place. I mean, how did we ever survive as a nation up until it was created? :rolleyes:

It ought to embarrass most people.

How are you supposed to know, I guess know you implying that the Dept. of H.S. is lying to everybody too, when does this crap end....Bush misled us to war, Cheney had dinner with terrorist....come on stop the conspiracy stuff....Elvis is really dead.....

Forum List

Back