There Is No Tomorrow: Bush Proposes $3.11 Trillion Budget

Discussion in 'Economy' started by onedomino, Feb 4, 2008.

1. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    Why should this last Bush budget be any different that those of preceding years? By the time the Bush years are over, his budgets will have blown about $3.5 trillion in money that we did not have. Money that we have had to borrow from overseas and from future generations. From the first Bush deficit budget to the last, I have argued that we are weakened when we borrow and spend such vast sums. Right now, for example, we owe Japan close to $600 billion, China $380 billion, and OPEC $130 billion. How would you like to pay the interest on that? Well, you are. If the Iraq War was a good idea, then we should not have been afraid to actually pay for it with reduced spending elsewhere and a war tax. Instead, Bush just billed the gigantic expense to future generations. How politically weak and economically mindless was that? These past seven years we have been swimming down to Wal-Mart to buy Chinese goods and floating in an ocean of money that we have not even earned yet. Maybe instead of attacking Iraq, we should have just purchased it. And this year, we are seeing the results of Bush economic and energy policy. We have done zero during the Bush years to gain energy independence, and that was deriliction of duty. Bush did zip to develop oil shale or coal gasification. As far as I am aware, not one new nuclear power plant has been started during the past seven years. Because of the Bush derilection of energy policy duty, we now get to suck up the entire shock of $100 per barrel oil, while simultaneously pumping up our enemies, such as Chavez, the Mullahs, and yes, Putin.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,432
    I agree with everything you said. Bush has been an economic disaster for this country and we have only just begun to reap the results of his poor stewardship.

Now, I just wish that people would stop saying republicans are better fiscal managers than dem. :eusa_wall:

3. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,987
    And yet THIS budget just like last years will be created and approved by DEMOCRATS, go figure.

4. jillian

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,432
    Right... because they didn't have the balls to tell Bush to pound salt on funding Iraq without requiring benchmarks in an election year.

Not to mention, Baby Bush loves using his veto pen and we aren't veto-proof so they're being wussies.

5. Mr.Conley

Mr.Conley Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +116
    And that somehow excuses this monument to stupidity?

6. RetiredGySgt

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,987
    You are of course aware that Congress, no the President, creates the Budget? All the President can do is submit what he wants. Congress is free to create any budget they chose.

7. Steerpike

Steerpike VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +182
    The fault still lies with the Democratic majority in the end. The budget is their Constitutional purview. If they don't like it, they should send Bush one they do like and keep sending it to him until he signs it.

8. jillian

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,432
    Really? You think so? Bush admitted with impunity that the admin and Congress worked out the budget together when he had a repub majority.

9. RetiredGySgt

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,987
    And yet he has no such Majority and has not since December 2006, Go figure.

10. jillian

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,432
    You won't find an argument from me on that subject. I think they have been abysmal in exercising their oversight power. I also know that's the case because heaven forbid they should have gone into an election year with the repubs yelling that they're soft on terrorism.

Although, frankly, I think they should have told Bush to stick it instead of being repub-lite.