Who here knows.................

Discussion in 'Economy' started by nibor, Feb 7, 2008.

1. nibor

nibor Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13
    How to participate in the stock market?:eusa_think:

2. mattskramer

mattskramer Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +359
    That is too vague a question. Books have been written on it. My advice for you is to contact T Rowe Price. A representative there will help educate you and set up any stock or mutual fund account that you want.

3. nibor

nibor Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I don't mean to be vague, I was just wondering if anyone here participates without the so called "experts", and if you do................how, is it absolutely necessary, to use these experts to buy or sell or trade?:eusa_think:

I should explain..........15 years ago I had purchased stock in a company that no one at the time even knew about, the "experts" told me that my investment in a company that they had no knowledge of was dangerous, bordering on stupid, but I did it anyway and last year the stock split 5 for 2, and today is worth more than twice what I bought it for.............but I don't know how to trade??????:rolleyes:

4. mattskramer

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +359
    Okay. I see. I’m not that involved in playing with individual stocks. I don’t pick stocks. Instead, I simply have 2 general mutual funds that tend to follow the S&P 500. I check the funds every year or so and I occasionally add money to them at random. I play it middle-of-the-road safe and don’t sweat the ups and downs of the market. I’m confident that, in the long run (20-40 years), I will get a reasonably nice return. By the way, they are managed by T Rowe Price and Vanguard. I think that those two have good customer service.

5. nibor

nibor Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13
    No one here dabbles alone that can advise me.................?:eusa_whistle:

6. mattskramer

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +359
    I don’t know what to tell you. Get a second, third, and fourth and fifth and sixth and seventh. Don’t trust just one individual. That would be my advice.

7. nibor

nibor Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Your advise seems to be sound Matts, I'd just like to see if anyone else dabbles alone without the manipulation of brokers that are only there to make a living off of your back and hard earned dollars...................that really don't know it all, as much as you'd like to think they do...........I don't invest heavily in their game............but thought we could sort of learn together at least how to play by ourselves if we want to????????:eusa_whistle:

I tried reading some of their books but most times don't completely understand the jargon or methodology, I've always liked playing hunches and many times am right with no formal training.:eusa_whistle:

8. mattskramer

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +359
    There might be bulletin boards suited just for people interested in stocks. I have no idea where they would be. Yet, they might also be breeding grounds for “pump and dump” scams. :eusa_think:

9. nibor

nibor Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Well I ain't pushing anything, nor will I advize how to invest............the shell game that is run by the people on wallstreet is vile................I've got a little stock it does well..............but I'd like to take a little, split it off, and try to play some more hunches and see what shakes.........period.:eusa_whistle:

It's all a game, just like poker.....................and I just thought there was someone who could share with me how to do it????????:eusa_whistle:

10. Paulie

Paulie Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,358
    I would think it's a matter of using your own common sense and forecasting what companies you think, based on their place in the market, will be prosperous. As the times change, it's not really that difficult to see what areas of the market are going to prosper.

It helps when you aren't letting yourself get saturated by mainstream media and TV entertainment. That shit clouds your mind. But even the MSM will give away hints, at times.