There are no races.

Discussion in 'Race Relations/Racism' started by ErikViking, Aug 15, 2009.

1. ErikViking

ErikViking VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +105
    I was thinking about how to post my view on this subject. It is so easy to fall in to a scientific discussion on who's report is more accurate to someone else's. So I will try to make my personal opinion understandable in a rather easy way:

So.

There are ways of drawing lines between different people. Those lines which are based on biological differances can be classifieds as races. Now, since some obvious lines have been drawn up based on, for example, the color of the skin it seems as we do have races that are not socially constructed. However there are other lines we have drawn, body types for instance, endomorfs or mesomorfs that exists in all colors and has not been "racified". If we would do the race mapping complete we could end up with one race per person. That would lead us to have no practical use of the term "race". We need to draw the line somewhere. This line is drawn by people living in a certain time at a certain place within a certain society. Making the arbitrary line a social construct.

So in my mind: The race concept between humans is a dead issue.

2. William Joyce

William Joyce Chemotherapy for PC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    Yeah, dude. I mean like, what if the whole universe we're in is just the head of pin owned by a giant, who lives in a whole other universe? And that whole universe was just like, on the head of the pin of an even bigger giant? Then we'd be like, real little and stuff. So like, how can you say we even matter? Dude.

3. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,702
    Hate to beg your pardon. There is a NASCAR race on tv just about every Sunday shortly after lunch!:lol:

4. Yasmin

Yasmin Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I agree with you, among people in general there are different criterias which distinguish them. Racists problems are only invented in order to profit from the so-called inferior.

5. ErikViking

ErikViking VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +105
    Whaterver distinctions between people you personally need to make you feel secure is of course your own business. I just explained how I look upon this question - maybe you would like to do the same?

6. William Joyce

William Joyce Chemotherapy for PC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    Yes.

Much of the business of science is providing labels for things that have enough similarities to make useful observations and predictions. We classify stars, animals, plants, cells, you name it.

No scientist would say that all stars classified as "M1" or "X3" are exactly the same, but they share enough characteristics to label them. That's useful in the gathering of knowledge and for the furtherance of the human enterprise.

Race is well within such classifications. Genetically, a race is an extended family. It is eminently observable both at the street level and under the microscope. Scientists can tell if a person is predominately black, Asian or Caucasian by looking at a DNA sample only.

Oxford lecturer John Baker addressed your concerns adroitly when he said, "the existence of blue-green does not negate the existence of blue or green." In other words, just because there are racial mixes -- and even entire populations like Arab or Hispanic that are what he calls "clinal" populations, doesn't mean that there's no such thing as race.

You can read "Race: The Reality of Human Differences" by Sarich and Miele for a hard slap-down of the whole "race doesn't exist" notion. Sarich is a professor of anthropology emeritus at Berkeley.

In the real world, it's bloody obvious to me that races exist, and that they have differences in behavior, intelligence and group dynamics. Black neighborhoods are DIFFERENT from white neighborhoods. Everyone gets this.

These differences are highly operative at the political and social level in the modern world. Groups band together for power and resources. They do so inevitably at the racial level. Distinctions like geographic borders of a country, income level and even language are less powerful.

Most problematic is the United States' policy of multiculturalism and enforced "diversity." You cannot have a society based on equality when its members aren't equal, period. It's a recipe for disaster.

7. Yasmin

Yasmin Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2

8. Amanda

Amanda Calm as a Hindu cow

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,006
    If race doesn't exist why is it on so many forms I have to fill out?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. Bass v 2.0

Bass v 2.0 Biblical Warrior For God.

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +528
    Those are ethnicities, not biological races. What's white today wasn't white 100-150 years ago.

10. JBeukema

JBeukema BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,705
    Any idiot who says race 'doesn't exist' must also argue that 'species' doesn't exist. Yes, race is a gradient of overlapping populations of individuals with certain genetic traits (phenotypic traits emerging therefrom)- so is speciation. Ever heard of ring species?