Theories on Why Atheists are met with Hostility

"OVERTHINKING"
The art of creating problems that weren't even there.

A year ago one of the nicest people I have known in my life passed away. His name was Dave. A simple man, nice to everyone, giving, thoughtful and genuine. Everyone on the office liked him, it was basically impossible to dislike him.
He was an atheist.
He wasn't disliked by anyone, despite everyone knowing this. He was, however, never judgmental or "holier than thou". He never talked about atheism or religion. Why would he? Usually if a person doesn't believe in something, they don't really think about it. I do not believe that Big Foot exist. I never talk about Big Foot.
Many atheist love to talk about themselves. And love to tell everyone about this badge of honor as they perceive it. That they are enlightened. Smart, not gullible and dumb like everyone else.

An asshole.
Stop being one and people will like you. The best advice anyone can give an atheist.

Atheist reporting for duty sir!

I hate Atheists like we're seeing in this thread. My lack of belief is my own business and I'm not inclined to jam it in anyone's face. It's not my business to convert anyone. I respect religious people for trying to live by a code which gives meaning to their life. I don't dwell on the fact that I find the source of the code to be nonsense, the real world benefits of the code that Christians live by are many and so there's no need for me to go out and "save" people from their religion.

I do not attack people. In fact, I resent the accusation. I try very hard to be respectful and maintain my decorum during discussion on this forum. However, voicing a difference of opinion is the name of the game here and if you see that as an attack I'm sorry for that.

You're like a Hare Krishna at the airport, constantly badgering people with your Atheism. I keep seeing you starting Atheism threads. You're a damn embarrassment to me and other Atheists.

You are ignorant.

We are not trying to impose our beliefs

For some reason Atheism and Leftism have a high correlation. If you object to religious people trying to inject their beliefs into the political system then why aren't you actually launching a damn revolution and rounding up Leftists who have had far more success in terms of IMPOSING their beliefs onto an unwilling society. Leftism is just as much a religion as Christianity.

The reason you haven't is because you like those Leftist beliefs and you have no problem with imposing them on the unwilling. At least be honest - you don't object to Christians advocating their beliefs because this violates your principle, you object because they're your competitor and if you can knock them out then you have a clear field within which to operate and impose your beliefs onto others. You're just using Atheism as a cover for Leftism.

What justification do you use to discriminate against gays? YOUR RELIGION! If it weren't for god(s), what other reason could you have for discriminating against gay people?

I'm not religious, and I'm full out in favor of discriminating against anyone and everyone. It's my human right to do so. You're so damn transparent - discrimination concerns are a LEFTIST worry, they don't arise from Atheist positions. Quit sullying the reputation of Atheists with this Leftist garbage.

Ever notice the lower the IQ the more belief people have in god? Go down south to the bible belt and see if those people will even let you suggest that god is fake.

Clearly you must be the outlier here, right? How to explain your idiocy and your proclaimed Atheism? One would think very few scientists would believe in God and yet many do. Don't they have the mental firepower to figure out what you've figured out?

Don't flatter yourself with the IQ association, trying to capture the spillover effect from some smart people being Atheists. Other smart people believe in God, so does that mean Christians can use the same tactic as you?

69d42728eff859fb7b11b8a41f48d881_zps0c6c43b6.jpg

Why because I speak my mind honestly and openly without fear of others say or think? Posting threads about your viewpoint is the name of the fucking game here, son. You sound like the kind of atheist that would just stand by and let religions plow right over our rights and force their dogma on everyone whether they by into it or not. The only embarrassment here is you. I swear, I try hard not to be an asshole on here, but people with their heads up their ass like you make it fucking difficult.

"OVERTHINKING"
The art of creating problems that weren't even there.

A year ago one of the nicest people I have known in my life passed away. His name was Dave. A simple man, nice to everyone, giving, thoughtful and genuine. Everyone on the office liked him, it was basically impossible to dislike him.
He was an atheist.
He wasn't disliked by anyone, despite everyone knowing this. He was, however, never judgmental or "holier than thou". He never talked about atheism or religion. Why would he? Usually if a person doesn't believe in something, they don't really think about it. I do not believe that Big Foot exist. I never talk about Big Foot.
Many atheist love to talk about themselves. And love to tell everyone about this badge of honor as they perceive it. That they are enlightened. Smart, not gullible and dumb like everyone else.

An asshole.
Stop being one and people will like you. The best advice anyone can give an atheist.

Atheist reporting for duty sir!

I hate Atheists like we're seeing in this thread. My lack of belief is my own business and I'm not inclined to jam it in anyone's face. It's not my business to convert anyone. I respect religious people for trying to live by a code which gives meaning to their life. I don't dwell on the fact that I find the source of the code to be nonsense, the real world benefits of the code that Christians live by are many and so there's no need for me to go out and "save" people from their religion.

I do not attack people. In fact, I resent the accusation. I try very hard to be respectful and maintain my decorum during discussion on this forum. However, voicing a difference of opinion is the name of the game here and if you see that as an attack I'm sorry for that.

You're like a Hare Krishna at the airport, constantly badgering people with your Atheism. I keep seeing you starting Atheism threads. You're a damn embarrassment to me and other Atheists.

You are ignorant.

We are not trying to impose our beliefs

For some reason Atheism and Leftism have a high correlation. If you object to religious people trying to inject their beliefs into the political system then why aren't you actually launching a damn revolution and rounding up Leftists who have had far more success in terms of IMPOSING their beliefs onto an unwilling society. Leftism is just as much a religion as Christianity.

The reason you haven't is because you like those Leftist beliefs and you have no problem with imposing them on the unwilling. At least be honest - you don't object to Christians advocating their beliefs because this violates your principle, you object because they're your competitor and if you can knock them out then you have a clear field within which to operate and impose your beliefs onto others. You're just using Atheism as a cover for Leftism.

What justification do you use to discriminate against gays? YOUR RELIGION! If it weren't for god(s), what other reason could you have for discriminating against gay people?

I'm not religious, and I'm full out in favor of discriminating against anyone and everyone. It's my human right to do so. You're so damn transparent - discrimination concerns are a LEFTIST worry, they don't arise from Atheist positions. Quit sullying the reputation of Atheists with this Leftist garbage.

Ever notice the lower the IQ the more belief people have in god? Go down south to the bible belt and see if those people will even let you suggest that god is fake.

Clearly you must be the outlier here, right? How to explain your idiocy and your proclaimed Atheism? One would think very few scientists would believe in God and yet many do. Don't they have the mental firepower to figure out what you've figured out?

Don't flatter yourself with the IQ association, trying to capture the spillover effect from some smart people being Atheists. Other smart people believe in God, so does that mean Christians can use the same tactic as you?

69d42728eff859fb7b11b8a41f48d881_zps0c6c43b6.jpg

You're a fucking joke. I wish I could say that you weren't really an atheist but I can't. We have to own up to the idiots on our side just as much as the Christians have to own up their idiots. You are proof that you can be an atheist and a moron at the same time.

Below, I have posted a link to a video I recently watched that I feel gives a good explanation for the hostility that many theists have towards atheists and why they often feel threatened by our nonbelief. My purpose for posting it here is to encourage others here to watch it and then post some of their own explanations of why they think atheists are so hated.

What a bunch of malarkey.

Atheists "feel" hostility because they force their anti-religious viewpoint onto the world.....anti-Christmas, anti-god bless you, etc... Link those same sentiments to the Libs in the same way the libs link religion to conservatism, and you got your self a culture war. It is as simple as that. While I'm agnostic, I'll side with the conservatives all day long....history and logic and fairness and sustainability being on my side....

Why because I speak my mind honestly and openly without fear of others say or think? Posting threads about your viewpoint is the name of the fucking game here, son. You sound like the kind of atheist that would just stand by and let religions plow right over our rights and force their dogma on everyone whether they by into it or not. The only embarrassment here is you. I swear, I try hard not to be an asshole on here, but people with their heads up their ass like you make it fucking difficult.

Let's talk specifics. What religious dictates are being pushed by Christians which plow over our rights. Give me a list. Then be prepared for my counter-list of Liberal Religious dictates which ACTUALLY plow over my rights.

Next give me a list of religious dogma that you're forced to adhere to. Then be prepared for the counter-list of Liberal Religious dogma that I'm ACTUALLY choking on.

As I noted, you're like the Hare Krishna badgering people at the airport. You give Atheism a bad name. Live your life, don't get into people's business.

Below, I have posted a link to a video I recently watched that I feel gives a good explanation for the hostility that many theists have towards atheists and why they often feel threatened by our nonbelief. My purpose for posting it here is to encourage others here to watch it and then post some of their own explanations of why they think atheists are so hated.

Atheists "feel" hostility because they force their anti-religious viewpoint onto the world.....anti-Christmas, anti-god bless you, etc... Link those same sentiments to the Libs in the same way the libs link religion to conservatism, and you got your self a culture war. It is as simple as that. While I'm agnostic, I'll side with the conservatives all day long....history and logic and fairness and sustainability being on my side....

Quoted for truth, brother.

Let's talk specifics. What religious dictates are being pushed by Christians which plow over our rights. Give me a list. Then be prepared for my counter-list of Liberal Religious dictates which ACTUALLY plow over my rights.

Next give me a list of religious dogma that you're forced to adhere to. Then be prepared for the counter-list of Liberal Religious dogma that I'm ACTUALLY choking on.

As I noted, you're like the Hare Krishna badgering people at the airport. You give Atheism a bad name. Live your life, don't get into people's business.

First off, that's like 90% of what I say to Christians right there. That's all I want. They can live their lives and I can live mine.

And you want a list, ok.

Seven states have laws on the books that expressly forbid atheists from running for office.
States all over the country have laws that forbid people from getting married for religious reasons.
Louisiana is trying to make the Bible the official state book.
The Republican Part of Texas, putting it on their website that they "oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills"

Fundamentalist Christians in this country want to turn America into a full blown theocracy and for people like me who study history and actually know what theocracy looks like, that is a terrifying proposition.

The majority of Liberals in the country are Christian. Seriously what bullshit history classes did you people take in school? Or were you just not paying any fucking attention.

The majority of Liberals in the country are Christian. Seriously what bullshit history classes did you people take in school? Or were you just not paying any fucking attention.

Post something real. Terms like "bullshit" and "fucking" don't make your argument, it simple makes you sound like an illiterate regurgitating someone else's thoughts.

Try again.

Seven states have laws on the books that expressly forbid atheists from running for office.

Atheism isn't a religion, so these laws don't violate the Religious Test Clause of the Constitution.

This is no different that regulating who may run for President. I've you're an immigrant, tough luck, no matter how much you love America, you don't meet the condition that the people have set. You can still live as an immigrant, and you and I can still live unmolested as Atheists.

States all over the country have laws that forbid people from getting married for religious reasons.

Too vague, you need to explain what's getting your goat.

So what? Some book has to be the Official State Book, why is the Bible more objectionable than To Kill a Mockingbird or some other book?

The Republican Part of Texas, putting it on their website that they "oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills"

See, I knew you'd be drawing blanks. I have no clue how you're connecting this to religious dogma being shoved down your throat.

Fundamentalist Christians in this country want to turn America into a full blown theocracy and for people like me who study history and actually know what theocracy looks like, that is a terrifying proposition.

Yeah, uhuh, and you can't provide any evidence in support of any of your claims. I hear they're having a sale on tinfoil rolls at the supermarket, you may want to stock up.

First off, that's like 90% of what I say to Christians right there. That's all I want. They can live their lives and I can live mine.

And you want a list, ok.

So, if that's what we want to do, why didn't we do it before now, when we had a majority of America who would have probably gone along with that idea if that's what we wanted to do.

You may study religions in school, but what do your learned masters say the likelihood, and probability is of anyone in the US leading us toward this terrifying proposition?

Who have you heard even suggest such a thing?

Watch the old TV shows and films from the 1960's and older and point out to me where religion made life so unbearable for the people.

To return to a kinder, gentler, more civil time seems to be like telling you to swallow poison.

I think you are over exaggerating your fears.

And fears of what???

What nightmare do you really think Christians have in mind for you?

It might be different if, let's say, we had a history of brutal social crackdowns in this country by the ruling majority. Like in the old USSR.

But the Democrats haven't got that much power yet.

You remind me of a kid who is crying in the Doctor's waiting room in anticipation of the vaccinations he'll have to get for school.

It's better for him to get the shots and they aren't as bad as his fears of them.

Last edited:

And you want a list, ok.

So, if that's what we want to do, why didn't we do it before now, when we had a majority of America who would have probably gone along with that idea if that's what we wanted to do.

You may study religions in school, but what do your learned masters say the likelihood, and probability is of anyone in the US leading us toward this terrifying proposition?

Watch the old TV shows and films from the 1960's and older and point out to me where religion made life so unbearable for the people.

To return to a kinder, gentler, more civil time seems to be like telling you to swallow poison.

And fears of what???

It might be different if, let's say, we had a history of brutal social crackdowns in this country by the ruling majority. Like in the old USSR.

You remind me of a kid who is crying in the Doctor's waiting room in anticipation of the vaccinations he'll have to get for school.

It's better for him to get the shots and they aren't as bad as his fears of them.
The problem with the above is that Christians demand special exceptions/dispensations for their religious beliefs. They're actually fine with breaking the law when it promotes their religion.

I hope I live to see the day when, as in the early days of our country, we won't have any public schools. The churches will have taken them over again and Christians will be running them. What a happy day that will be!

-- Rev Jerry Falwell, America Can Be Saved, 1979 pp. 52-53, from Albert J Menendez and Edd Doerr, The Great Quotations on Religious Freedom

Good Christians, like slaves and soldiers, ask no questions.

-- Rev Jerry Falwell, quoted Freethought Today, December, 1999, cited by Anthony T. Podestra of People for the American Way in, Dietz and Holden, Satiricon, p 44; quoted from Steve Benson "Latter-Day Saint To Latter-Day Ain't"; commemorating the "Tell It Like It Is" Freethought In Media Award, presented on November 5, 1999, by the Freedom From Religion Foundation; excerpted by PAM

Super!

And you want a list, ok.

And fears of what???

Wow. That was horrible. I've heard the above described as the "Father Knows Best" version of a skewed, alternate reality.

Did you realize that in the 1960's, blacks in the south were still drinking from segregated water fountains? Did you realize that it was not the fundamentalist Christians / Christian adherents who were taking the lead in ending that injustice?

It was often the fundie Christians who were furthering that injustice.

Atheism isn't a religion, so these laws don't violate the Religious Test Clause of the Constitution.

This is no different that regulating who may run for President. I've you're an immigrant, tough luck, no matter how much you love America, you don't meet the condition that the people have set. You can still live as an immigrant, and you and I can still live unmolested as Atheists.

Too vague, you need to explain what's getting your goat.

So what? Some book has to be the Official State Book, why is the Bible more objectionable than To Kill a Mockingbird or some other book?

See, I knew you'd be drawing blanks. I have no clue how you're connecting this to religious dogma being shoved down your throat.

Yeah, uhuh, and you can't provide any evidence in support of any of your claims. I hear they're having a sale on tinfoil rolls at the supermarket, you may want to stock up.

Utterly clueless! :cuckoo:

That's the thing. How many religious assholes say he's going to burn in hell when he dies?

We think/talk about god because it is such a pervasive concept.

And if your side didn't do things like insist America is a christian nation or use religion as a wedge issue to sucker gullible voters into voting against their own financial interests, I wouldn't care much what you guys think. So want to blame someone for this? Blame yourselves. What does Christianity say for you to do? Spread the word? Well if you are going to tell us about god, expect to hear what we think about your god.

And don't tell us we'll go to hell if we don't believe and then get offended when we call BULLSHIT on your story. Any logical thinking person would.
^ that

Thumpers are told to convert people and when repulsed, lash out.

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using Tapatalk
that explains the bodies left behind when Jehovah's Witnesses canvas a suburban neighborhood....

Is English not your native language? You are confusing words here. You stated that "No one has the right to tell anyone else what they can, or cannot say." The laws I mentioned are precisely that....telling people that they cannot slander, or perjure themselves, or reveal classified information, etc. And there are penalties for saying things they cannot say. But now you've shifted goalposts by saying no one can actually prevent people from saying what they want. And you're confusing that with prohibiting slander etc. The government does have the right to tell people what they can and cannot say under certain very limited circumstances. Of course that doesn't and can't prevent it except in the cases where people are afraid of the penalties. And of course certain speech can be prohibited, but that's not the same as prior restraint.

Except, as I already explained, nothing actually prevents anyone from saying whatever they want. That makes you wrong, no matter how you twist and turn.

Is English not your native language? You are confusing words here. You stated that "No one has the right to tell anyone else what they can, or cannot say." The laws I mentioned are precisely that....telling people that they cannot slander, or perjure themselves, or reveal classified information, etc. And there are penalties for saying things they cannot say. But now you've shifted goalposts by saying no one can actually prevent people from saying what they want. And you're confusing that with prohibiting slander etc. The government does have the right to tell people what they can and cannot say under certain very limited circumstances. Of course that doesn't and can't prevent it except in the cases where people are afraid of the penalties. And of course certain speech can be prohibited, but that's not the same as prior restraint.

Except, as I already explained, nothing actually prevents anyone from saying whatever they want. That makes you wrong, no matter how you twist and turn.
That was not your original claim.
So what you've done is make a statement, and then when shown your statement is clearly untrue, you now pretend you said something completely different. And you accuse ME of twisting and turning? You have balls.

So what you've done is make a statement, and then when shown your statement is clearly untrue, you now pretend you said something completely different. And you accuse ME of twisting and turning? You have balls.

No he doesn't. If he had balls, he'd stop backpedaling and face up to being wrong.

No he doesn't. If he had balls, he'd stop backpedaling and face up to being wrong.

You, of all people, have no grounds to call someone ball-less.

My original claim, unless I am mistaken, is that no one has the right to tell anyone else what they can, or cannot, say, if that isn't what I said feel free to correct me. Until then, you are twisting because I am 100% correct, nothing you cited as an example in any way prevents anyone from saying something.

Forum List

Back