Theories on Why Atheists are met with Hostility

AtheistBuddah

Jun 30, 2014
Nice try, internet :)
Below, I have posted a link to a video I recently watched that I feel gives a good explanation for the hostility that many theists have towards atheists and why they often feel threatened by our nonbelief. My purpose for posting it here is to encourage others here to watch it and then post some of their own explanations of why they think atheists are so hated.

"Oh, yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom. But they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em."
-- George Hansen from 'Easy Rider'

Religion has been a mass worldview for millenia. When confronted by those that didn't drink the cool-aid it reminds people how arbitrary and subjective their worldview really is. And that never results in "Oh yeah, I see your point. You're right." so much as "I hate you for reminding me what a dupe I've been!" :)

Heard Dr. Matthew Stewart the other day going over his book documenting how > a few of the framers and were NOT Christian. Heres the book title:

“Nature’s God: The Heretical Origins of the American Republic”

The hostility can also be based upon doubt.

Religion is about convincing yourself that God exists. But everyone is fallible and makes mistakes. What if theists have made a mistake about their belief? Going to houses of worship, studying holy books and praying won't make that doubt go away. It remains there because it is impossible to convince yourself to the point of removing all self doubt. In order for that to happen it must be stepped up to the level of brainwashing but that is not a conviction either.

So for theists who are honest with themselves there is always this nagging doubt and their hostility towards atheists stems from seeing their own doubts in the flesh, so to speak. The religion of theists claims that heathens suffer from all kinds of imaginary problems but in the flesh atheists are normal people leading normal lives. They are friendly, funny, open and giving. They care about others, make donations to good causes, volunteer to help the less fortunate and generally lead good lives.

And they doing all of this without any imaginary deity in their lives. They don't pray, congregate or proselytize. They don't pay tithes or claim that gay marriage will bring about the apocalypse.

Hostility towards atheists is not because they don't believe. Hostility towards atheists is because believers have a hard time dealing with their own self doubts when faced with the normality that is everyday atheism in my opinion.

Religion is about convincing yourself that God exists. But everyone is fallible and makes mistakes. What if theists have made a mistake about their belief? Going to houses of worship, studying holy books and praying won't make that doubt go away. It remains there because it is impossible to convince yourself to the point of removing all self doubt. In order for that to happen it must be stepped up to the level of brainwashing but that is not a conviction either.

So for theists who are honest with themselves there is always this nagging doubt and their hostility towards atheists stems from seeing their own doubts in the flesh, so to speak. The religion of theists claims that heathens suffer from all kinds of imaginary problems but in the flesh atheists are normal people leading normal lives. They are friendly, funny, open and giving. They care about others, make donations to good causes, volunteer to help the less fortunate and generally lead good lives.

And they doing all of this without any imaginary deity in their lives. They don't pray, congregate or proselytize. They don't pay tithes or claim that gay marriage will bring about the apocalypse.

Hostility towards atheists is not because they don't believe. Hostility towards atheists is because believers have a hard time dealing with their own self doubts when faced with the normality that is everyday atheism in my opinion.

I've often thought the same thing. They're see us as their own doubts staring them in the face. Or in the case of the really deluded ones, they believe that we're utterly hellbound and are afraid that we'll get some of our taint on them and drag them down with us.

I've often thought the same thing. They're see us as their own doubts staring them in the face. Or in the case of the really deluded ones, they believe that we're utterly hellbound and are afraid that we'll get some of our taint on them and drag them down with us.

The vast majority of theists are normal ordinary folk who probably don't care about atheists or even see them as a threat either. It is only those who do feel threatened who the ones with the most self doubt. Their beliefs are usually in absolutes and don't allow for any gray areas but they are human and still have to deal with themselves. They can't pray away the doubt so instead they turn it into hostility.

In some respects I feel sorry for them. It can't be easy having to convince themselves over and over again, day after day, that things will be better after they are dead. I suspect that is why they want the 2nd coming during their lifetime. They want to be alive to see their doubts dispelled. But since that is never going to happen they actually spend their lives wishing for them to end. How sad is that?

The vast majority of theists are normal ordinary folk who probably don't care about atheists or even see them as a threat either. It is only those who do feel threatened who the ones with the most self doubt. Their beliefs are usually in absolutes and don't allow for any gray areas but they are human and still have to deal with themselves. They can't pray away the doubt so instead they turn it into hostility.

In some respects I feel sorry for them. It can't be easy having to convince themselves over and over again, day after day, that things will be better after they are dead. I suspect that is why they want the 2nd coming during their lifetime. They want to be alive to see their doubts dispelled. But since that is never going to happen they actually spend their lives wishing for them to end. How sad is that?
A string of thoughtful comments.

I think the above arguments describing belief in the supernatural can be resolved by identifying one of the various dynamics that motivates religious beliefs: The deep seated fear of dying, fear of the unknown and a desire to experience our lives. Perhaps not everyone shares those feeling, perhaps not everyone can.

There does not need to be religions or gods for there to be a purpose or "meaning" in life. One's purpose in life may be incremental and limited but may be of considerable consequence, both in the present and to posterity.

But the struggle over the questions of our existence have no requirements for angry gods. Pondering all great mysteries is the real thing that sets us above the animals. Perhaps in the end, sentient life is the universe's way of trying to understand itself. But I consider that search for answers a noble struggle it's not the religious entities who are doing the search. I applaud the exploration of life's mysteries and it makes me feel good about the human condition. And, what is more courageous than saying, "I want to know the truth?" (wherever it leads).

Last edited:
Pheh. :blahblah:
Another name for the more outspoken atheist is "hatetheist". They don't just disbelieve in religion - they hate religion. And all things religious. They are assholes. That is why there is angst against them.
It is that simple.

I love it how theists today are no longer bothered by the big bang theory. When science proves their theories wrong, they just quickly change their position so that the new facts don't conflict with their message.

In the 80's Pope John Paul II admonished the scientific establishment against studying the moment of creation, as it was holy.

Atheists that proselytize.... :blahblah:

Exactly. If you don't believe in something - fine - more power to you. But you don't have to be a dick about it and go on rants about people who do.

A concept not mentioned in the video but happens to be the major source of hostility towards atheists.

Another reason why Pascal's Wager doesn't work. If they're wrong then they wasted their whole lives, waiting for death. Imagine how angry they would be if they could someone know it was all a lie before they died.

A string of thoughtful comments.

I think the above arguments describing belief in the supernatural can be resolved by identifying one of the various dynamics that motivates religious beliefs: The deep seated fear of dying, fear of the unknown and a desire to experience our lives. Perhaps not everyone shares those feeling, perhaps not everyone can.

There does not need to be religions or gods for there to be a purpose or "meaning" in life. One's purpose in life may be incremental and limited but may be of considerable consequence, both in the present and to posterity.

But the struggle over the questions of our existence have no requirements for angry gods. Pondering all great mysteries is the real thing that sets us above the animals. Perhaps in the end, sentient life is the universe's way of trying to understand itself. But I consider that search for answers a noble struggle it's not the religious entities who are doing the search. I applaud the exploration of life's mysteries and it makes me feel good about the human condition. And, what is more courageous than saying, "I want to know the truth?" (wherever it leads).

I'm always happy to see my threads spark thoughtful comments. And what you said about sentient life reminds me of the words of Carl Sagan "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

Exactly. If you don't believe in something - fine - more power to you. But you don't have to be a dick about it and go on rants about people who do.

A concept not mentioned in the video but happens to be the major source of hostility towards atheists.

Another reason why Pascal's Wager doesn't work. If they're wrong then they wasted their whole lives, waiting for death. Imagine how angry they would be if they could someone know it was all a lie before they died.

"OVERTHINKING"
The art of creating problems that weren't even there.

A year ago one of the nicest people I have known in my life passed away. His name was Dave. A simple man, nice to everyone, giving, thoughtful and genuine. Everyone on the office liked him, it was basically impossible to dislike him.
He was an atheist.
He wasn't disliked by anyone, despite everyone knowing this. He was, however, never judgmental or "holier than thou". He never talked about atheism or religion. Why would he? Usually if a person doesn't believe in something, they don't really think about it. I do not believe that Big Foot exist. I never talk about Big Foot.
Many atheist love to talk about themselves. And love to tell everyone about this badge of honor as they perceive it. That they are enlightened. Smart, not gullible and dumb like everyone else.

An asshole.
Stop being one and people will like you. The best advice anyone can give an atheist.

"OVERTHINKING"

A year ago one of the nicest people I have known in my life passed away. His name was Dave. A simple man, nice to everyone, giving, thoughtful and genuine. Everyone on the office liked him, it was basically impossible to dislike him.
He was an atheist.
He wasn't disliked by anyone, despite everyone knowing this. He was, however, never judgmental or "holier than thou". He never talked about atheism or religion. Why would he? Usually if a person doesn't believe in something, they don't really think about it. I do not believe that Big Foot exist. I never talk about Big Foot.
Many atheist love to talk about themselves. And love to tell everyone about this badge of honor as they perceive it. That they are enlightened. Smart, not gullible and dumb like everyone else.

An asshole.
Stop being one and people will like you. The best advice anyone can give an atheist.

I can't speak for other atheists but in my own case I speak on atheism from a social rights standpoint not a religions standpoint. It is of no concern to me what others believe, and I do not feel more enlightened or in any other way superior to those of faith. My concern is only with the actions of those with faith and even then, only when those actions infringe on the inherent rights of others.

Below, I have posted a link to a video I recently watched that I feel gives a good explanation for the hostility that many theists have towards atheists and why they often feel threatened by our nonbelief. My purpose for posting it here is to encourage others here to watch it and then post some of their own explanations of why they think atheists are so hated.

Could it be because they attack people who disagree with them, like you do almost every time you post?

Could it be because they attack people who disagree with them, like you do almost every time you post?

I do not attack people. In fact, I resent the accusation. I try very hard to be respectful and maintain my decorum during discussion on this forum. However, voicing a difference of opinion is the name of the game here and if you see that as an attack I'm sorry for that.

"OVERTHINKING"

He was an atheist.

An asshole.

That's the thing. How many religious assholes say he's going to burn in hell when he dies?

We think/talk about god because it is such a pervasive concept.

And if your side didn't do things like insist America is a christian nation or use religion as a wedge issue to sucker gullible voters into voting against their own financial interests, I wouldn't care much what you guys think. So want to blame someone for this? Blame yourselves. What does Christianity say for you to do? Spread the word? Well if you are going to tell us about god, expect to hear what we think about your god.

And don't tell us we'll go to hell if we don't believe and then get offended when we call BULLSHIT on your story. Any logical thinking person would.

Forum List

Back