The young people going hungry in the UK this winter

interesting , might be off topic but concerning food supposedly being expensive or in short supply in different places . I mean , maybe it is expensive but here in the USA I see an abundance of food although I see food , especially meat rising in price and I see canned food size shrinking from the traditional 1 pound / 16 ounce can. I just work around the rising price by buying cheaper or different foods . The last few years I also try to do healthy eating which to me means lean meat , more vegs , fish [Pollack and kippered canned herring] and more varied foods . Anyway , has anyone heard of the year without a summer . It happened in 1816 and is interesting time period to just be aware of . --- The summer of 16 ---

Fairly lucky as I can get fresh smoked kippers from local smokers, just microwave them add some unsalted butter and some new potatoes on the side. Or try boiled rice mixed with hard boiled eggs cut into chunks flaked smoked haddock or kippers and mixed together in a medium curry sauce, better known as Kedgeree and came from the British Raj as a breakfast dish

I like Cod the best Phoneall , Pollack is also good but I buy cod when I can get it cheap . I cook both the same way , either baked , poached or pan fried . The canned kipper and tuna is good because its cheap and good and doubles as something that can sit on a shelf for years and still be good . Sardines are too fishy tasting for me but I buy them once in a while just because . Smoked fish , we have it but I won't pay for it . If I was a young poor kid that knows how to cook I'd be eating low processed grains like groats and brown rice . I'd eat peanuts and different grinds of oatmeal . I'd eat some cheese which is very cheap in this area and vegetables either raw or cooked . I like simple diets and the extremely simple diet of the Neanderthal seems to be the best and cheapest diet for man . [not that I practice the Neanderthals diet] .

Smoked trout is delicious. Never had smoked kippers...

I love smoked fish. :D

I like Cod the best Phoneall , Pollack is also good but I buy cod when I can get it cheap . I cook both the same way , either baked , poached or pan fried . The canned kipper and tuna is good because its cheap and good and doubles as something that can sit on a shelf for years and still be good . Sardines are too fishy tasting for me but I buy them once in a while just because . Smoked fish , we have it but I won't pay for it . If I was a young poor kid that knows how to cook I'd be eating low processed grains like groats and brown rice . I'd eat peanuts and different grinds of oatmeal . I'd eat some cheese which is very cheap in this area and vegetables either raw or cooked . I like simple diets and the extremely simple diet of the Neanderthal seems to be the best and cheapest diet for man . [not that I practice the Neanderthals diet] .

I suppose I am lucky again as I live less than a mile from the sea and could go out and catch my own cod, haddock, whiting, sea bass, plaice, Pollack, Coley and many other fish. Kippers are a salted herring hung in a hot smoker until nut brown and cooked. What you are calling kippers sound more like roll mop herrings. We also get a fish called Mackerel which is like a miniature version of a Barracuda, very oily and not too everyones taste. Grow most of my own veg and salad, along with apples, pears, cherries and many soft fruits.

you got'er made Phoneall !! The kippered herring is sold by the flat can , about 6 ounces , its good and comes with mustard , hot sauce and other flavorslike smoked . Its good enough for a lunch snack or supper , breakfast if its all you have . 6 ounce can is about a dollar and a quarter . Nice thing about them is that I buy them when I see them cheap and they'll sit in a cupboard for years and still be good .

you got'er made Phoneall !! The kippered herring is sold by the flat can , about 6 ounces , its good and comes with mustard , hot sauce and other flavorslike smoked . Its good enough for a lunch snack or supper , breakfast if its all you have . 6 ounce can is about a dollar and a quarter . Nice thing about them is that I buy them when I see them cheap and they'll sit in a cupboard for years and still be good .

Here you go proper kippers as smoked by Fortunes in Whitby, straight from the sea, cleaned, brined and smoked using oak.

th

See the colour of the oak smoke transferred to the fish, just microwave for 2 minutes and you are ready to go.

Here you go proper kippers as smoked by Fortunes in Whitby, straight from the sea, cleaned, brined and smoked using oak.

th

See the colour of the oak smoke transferred to the fish, just microwave for 2 minutes and you are ready to go.

I am not a big meat eater but I do eat canned kippers every now and then. They are delicious.

Risotto is just rice and mushroom cooked in vegetable or meat broth. What is a big deal?

Is it so cold there that they cannot grow rice and mushroom there?

A decent risotto needs Arborio or for the best risotto the more expensive Carnaroli rice. Both short grain rice that absorb more of the flavor. Tuscan Kale (cavolo nero) grows until after the frost, but it also requires more attention when cultivating it.

Tuscan Kale (cavolo nero) grows until after the frost, but it also requires more attention when cultivating it.

Love that plant. Also known as 'Lacinato' kale. It tastes beter after a few frosts, as the cold changes the chemical composition within the brassica. I give those plants a lot of aged cow manure, compost, and water in fertile, loamy soil. Shading them slightly in the heat of summer helps protect from the intense heat, too. I buy mine online from SeedSavers.

th

Now that I remember, I've tried canned kippered fish. Is it better when not canned?

th

Now that I remember, I've tried canned kippered fish. Is it better when not canned?

I think they store it in olive oil when they can it. It tastes great.

well , canned is canned Wake , packed in some kind of brine , smoke flavor brine , mustard or hot sauce or I've seen it in oil like canola . Fresh smoked is probably better but the canned is cheap and its good . I can buy fresh smoked fish but I don't really like it . Kipper just sits on the shelf , I eat it as a snack / lunch once or twice a week . Eat it with crackers . You can also get kippers in sour cream or a red wine sauce but I'm not interested in that because it needs refrigeration after opening . [sorta like Sardines but better for my tastes] .

Last edited:
Eating and loving canned fish is an acquired taste. But once you acquire it, you will crave it.

there you go Vikrant !! To me its just a way to vary my diet and eat some fish or a light lunch but I'd rather be eating some good kielbasa , old fashioned hot dogs or hot Eyetalian sausage .

there you go Vikrant !! To me its just a way to vary my diet and eat some fish or a light lunch but I'd rather be eating some good kielbasa , old fashioned hot dogs or hot Eyetalian sausage .

Does not sound very appealing. Fish is the pretty much only meat I eat. I used to eat chicken and turkey but I have given up on them.

well sausage is probably my favorite meat / food . I just limit myself because I don't like having a big belly and eating lighter helps achieve that goal .

Does not sound very appealing. Fish is the pretty much only meat I eat. I used to eat chicken and turkey but I have given up on them.

I love chicken. It's my favorite! :) Chickens are delicious animals!

Forum List

Back