The young people going hungry in the UK this winter

Vikrant

Gold Member
Apr 20, 2013
The U.S.
What seems to be the problem? The population in the UK is not too large.

---

The sometimes "heavy-handed" use of benefit sanctions has been partly blamed for the rise of food banks. But what does that mean for the young people at the sharp end?

"I'd love to be able to afford some vegetables, I really would," says 19-year-old Yasmin.

"Being a qualified cook, I'd love to make myself a nice risotto or something. But I'm not rich; I'm not posh. I can't afford nice food."

For the last year Yasmin has been living at the YMCA in Burton-upon-Trent.

She is one of an estimated four million people in food poverty - without enough money to make healthy eating choices.

'It's horrible'
The counter-intuitive reality - particularly for poorer women - is perfectly illustrated by what she says next.

"I've gained loads of weight since I've lived in the YMCA because when I'm not eating my body stores the fat and makes me fatter. And then when I am eating, it's just stuff like rice and cheap stodgy stuff. You can't afford to eat nicely," she says.

It's a familiar story among the hostel's young residents.

BBC News - The young people going hungry in the UK this winter

This is sad.

Is there any way to do a lot more gardening?

Does it cost that much to buy a few packs of seeds?

What about cheap/basic staples? Beans are healthier than white rice.

Take bulgur for example.

It's packed with fiber, protein, iron, and Vitamin B6.

1/2 cup bulgur, 1 cup water. Pour into boiling water then place on simmer with lid for 15 minutes, then turn off and let sit for 10. Yields a great, filling meal.

It's parboiled, dried, and cracked wheat. I stock up on it, and the price is worth it because it's so filling and healthy. Also helps scour out the bad cholesterol in your blood tubes. If you've had tabbouleh, you've had bulgur.

Last edited:
I think UK has very cold weather which limits their options of growing food. It will be nice if posters from UK could share their views. I know it may be an unwanted distraction for them as they are busy contributing on 'Muslim Problem' in UK.

What are some of the crops that are grown in UK?
What are non-meat items that are imported?

I personally am a borderline vegetarian. Vegetables are a major portion of my meal. I think lack of vegetables in your diet can create serious health problems.

thing is the girl want Risotto and NICE food . I've heard of families that were poor , they ate lots of oatmeal , fried oatmeal , potatoes , fried potatoes , home made bread but this girl is a qualified cook and she wants Risotto and nice food .

Any veggie grown from the garden I will eat.

Heirloom tomatoes, kale, asparagus and the like are so darned delicious.

Eh.

Healthy food is nice food, imho.

Risotto is just rice and mushroom cooked in vegetable or meat broth. What is a big deal?

Is it so cold there that they cannot grow rice and mushroom there?

Once a day, I drink smoothie. It contains 50% vegetables and 25% fruits and 25% nuts. I buy lots of kale to put it in my smoothie. I feel very energetic after drinking it.

If you can grow your own beets, it is worth it.

I skin mine, cube them, and put'em in the steamer

Very delicious and sweet. Maybe add a spritz of apple cider vinegar.

Once a day, I drink smoothie. It contains 50% vegetables and 25% fruits and 25% nuts. I buy lots of kale to put it in my smoothie. I feel very energetic after drinking it.

Try 'Lacinato' kale. Aka 'Dinosaur' or 'Black Tuscan' Kale. Very good for you, especially when grown. I also juice and drink burdock weed. It is a blood purifier. Bitter, but your body will feel better. Combine with fruit juices/smoothie.

If you can grow your own beets, it is worth it.

I skin mine, cube them, and put'em in the steamer

Very delicious and sweet. Maybe add a spritz of apple cider vinegar.

I am too busy with work and posting on this forum to do any meaningful gardening. My wife on the other hand has too much time at her hand but she prefers to grow useless flowers. You cannot eat those flowers. Total waste of water and soil. Damn most of them do not even have fragrance. If I had time, vegetables is what I would grow.

well , she's the one that highlighted RISOTTO and nice food . Wife tells me that risotto is a little more expensive than white rice which sells at about 70 cents a pound in the USA .

...beets are very low maintenance. :D

They are very healthy and delicious as well. I put beets in my smoothie as well. But can beets grow in a cold weather like UK?

Beets are cold-weather plants. Best grown during Spring and Fall.

Kale, broccoli, brussels sprouts, and cabbages, which are brassicas, also thrive in cold climes.

we eat free Kale until everything freeze up , same with red beets and tops , spinach , mustard greens , turnips . Same with Chinese pea pods .

...beets are very low maintenance. :D

They are very healthy and delicious as well. I put beets in my smoothie as well. But can beets grow in a cold weather like UK?

Beets are cold-weather plants. Best grown during Spring and Fall.

Kale, broccoli, brussels sprouts, and cabbages, which are brassicas, also thrive in cold climes.

That is good. People should concentrate on growing vegetables in their backyard. This has potential to reduce hunger problem.

Last edited:
I used to hate veggies, because they'd always be the supermarket variety.

Sinking my teeth into garden-grown foods, the flavor is much much better. :)

Forum List

Back