The young people going hungry in the UK this winter

OFF TOPIC information concerning those cute little bunnies . --- Australia s battle with the bunny rsaquo Science Features ABC Science ---

Awww. Look at him! Look at how cute he is! I want to cuddle him, not eat him. :D

r358314_1650546.jpg

out here the deer are known as woods RATS there are so many of them . Bucks can also be dangerous in rut . Lots of deer die on the roads and in the U.P. of Michigan there would be herds of them along the roads as the deer left the thawing swamps [spring thaw] .

yep , chicken is good , tastes just like rabbit !!

Nooo, you can't eat rabbits. They are too cute. :D

They are vermin and can decimate a crop overnight, takes control to control them and they may as well be used as food. Nice flavour when browned then mixed with root veg and water and placed in a pudding bowl with a suet pastry topping

I have a pet rabbit now, and I've had one before. I have no plans on eating him. I used to live in an area where we had tons of rabbits, and I can attest to the fact that squirrels are MUCH more of a nuisance.

Squirrel is nice as well, can be roasted or braised just like rabbit

You people are border line savages.

Not really just true omnivores who can kill to eat and survive, and not eat to kill so the other person cant survive

out here the deer are known as woods RATS there are so many of them . Bucks can also be dangerous in rut . Lots of deer die on the roads and in the U.P. of Michigan there would be herds of them along the roads as the deer left the thawing swamps [spring thaw] .

In the UK we control the deer and will weed out the old, infirm and injured every autumn before the rut begins. Many are unfit for human consumption through their age and other factors so are disposed of by being fed to dogs etc. on the farms. We can get a few young bucks as well if there are too many and these go for venison. Many people pay large sums of money to go on deer shoots and have never tasted venison in their lives, same with partridge, pheasant, grouse and salmon.

In the UK we control the deer and will weed out the old, infirm and injured every autumn before the rut begins. Many are unfit for human consumption through their age and other factors so are disposed of by being fed to dogs etc. on the farms. We can get a few young bucks as well if there are too many and these go for venison. Many people pay large sums of money to go on deer shoots and have never tasted venison in their lives, same with partridge, pheasant, grouse and salmon.

My cousin says the same, the younger deer are better tasting and more tender. He also says that if you hang the deer and let all the blood drain out for several days, it tastes less gamy. I just had some venison steaks last night, and they really taste just like beef to me. A little pepper and some garlic salt and grill them. Delicious. :D

I have to see that I'm not fond of the ground meat though. It seems to be a lot better if you mix it with other meats, like hamburger, ground pork, etc.

hey Chrisl --- my Dad knew a guy back in about 1956 in Scranton Pennsylvania , guys name was Delbert Jone's . Delbert hung his deer on his back porch and my Dad asked him how long he would hang his deer . Delbet said that he hung his deer until the maggots were crawling through it . Just a story that I remember about hanging venison . Delbert and family were very nice people but were 100% hillbillies and Scranton is very close or is Appalachia .

well , just a [my] theory but here in the USA the deer will be controlled as best it can by hunters and car wrecks . In the future [starting in the 90s] it will be controlled by allowing of natural predators like wolves , bear , cougar , coyote and eventually grizzly bar back into rural areas . That's the plan as far as I can Guess as I watch reintroduction of wolves and other predators into the rural USA .

hey Chrisl --- my Dad knew a guy back in about 1956 in Scranton Pennsylvania , guys name was Delbert Jone's . Delbert hung his deer on his back porch and my Dad asked him how long he would hang his deer . Delbet said that he hung his deer until the maggots were crawling through it . Just a story that I remember about hanging venison . Delbert and family were very nice people but were 100% hillbillies and Scranton is very close or is Appalachia .

Should not be maggoty as that imparts off flavours to the meat from the amount of ammonia produced. So should be hung in a cool room until the meat smells slightly bad, like sweaty feet sort of smell. So anything up to 21 days depending on size, a good indication is when the meat goes dark almost black.

well , Delbert was no gourmet I guess but that's the way he did it according to what he told my Dad Phoneall . Thing is that I vaguely remember the deer hanging from his back porch . It was hot and sunny but I don't remember Pennsylvania's deer hunting season . Like I said , the Jone'ses were real hillbillies [good people] . The Jones family mighta been on this north American real estate since the 1600s .

Ewww. Gross. :ack-1: Is that safe to eat then?

well , I don't remember Delberts funeral ChrisL . I think that SAFE may be a modern concept . People are generally tougher than most people think .

well , I don't remember Delberts funeral ChrisL . I think that SAFE may be a modern concept . People are generally tougher than most people think .

Maybe so, but I prefer my food to be maggot free. :D

Many foods are worm ridden which is why they should be cooked right through, there is a sea going parasite that is called the cod worm and it infects most round fish of the cod family. Cooked properly and you cant see the worms, undercook and they can be seen

wife brings in kale , swiss chard , red beet tops , mustard greens , etc , etc and washes off the bugs and snails . If she misses one or some worms , bugs or snails it gets et / eaten .

wife brings in kale , swiss chard , red beet tops , mustard greens , etc , etc and washes off the bugs and snails . If she misses one or some worms , bugs or snails it gets et / eaten .

Extra protein when you think about it, and generally harmless. What makes me laugh is all the vegans and vegetarians that consume large numbers of animals and they don't even know they are doing it. From the humble cheese mite to the yeasts and fungi on all foods

My wife is vegetarian but eats cheese and dairy and pretend meat and vegetables . She has been that way since 18 when she saw a baby seal being clubbed on the telly . She cooks and cleans meat with no problems though . ME , when I see baby seals being clubbed for their skins I just git hungry.

Forum List

Back