The War on Tubbies...NY Soda Ban

Mike Bloomberg isn't a "liberal".

He most certainly is, regardless of what letter is next to his name.

"liberal" isn't a catch-all phrase that includes everything that you don't like.

Every time that Bloomberg has ran for Mayor, he's run on the "Republican" ballot line. He's always been the "righty" candidate.

First he dropped the r next to his name, second, just because he's not the most liberal candidate running

New York City mayoral election, 2009 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And this is interesting

Michael Bloomberg, formerly a Democrat, was elected as a Republican in 2001 and 2005, succeeding another Republican mayor, Rudolph Giuliani, elected in 1993 and 1997. Bloomberg left the Republican Party in 2008, and is now a political independent.

so he's another Charlie Crist and Arlen Specter, just switch parties for political reasons.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_City_mayoral_election,_2001
WAit there's more
RepublicanMichael Bloomberg
(no separate Republican line)​
LiberalMichael Bloomberg
(no separate Liberal line​
However, businessman Michael Bloomberg, a lifelong Democrat, changed his party affiliation a few months before the election in order to avoid a crowded primary, and ran as a Republican

Last edited:
More of them did than you think, or how did he win in NYC?
NYC isn't as "liberal" as you guys seem to think. Just like everywhere else in the world, MOST people don't really care about politics.

Bloomberg won the same way that most incumbents win - by being the incumbent.

What do you base your view of what "Most New Yorkers" think on?

He's a law and order liberal. Why else does he love using government edicts to play with his pet projects?
Once again, the term "liberal" has a specific meaning - and that meaning isn't "everything you don't like".

I base my experience on living in NYC during the bad old days, and currently, and discussions I have with similar people.
I base my experience on working in NYC politics, including advisory roles on the campaigns of Ferrer and Thompson - both liberal Democrats who ran against Bloomberg.

Yes, he may not be as liberal or progressive as others, but what is he then?
A centrist.
I dont see nanny state health laws as exactly being libertarian.
I certainly didn't claim that Bloomberg was a "libertarian".
Progressives believe in bettering people and society through government regulation. Thats what he is trying to do
I think you'll find that people who self-describe as "progressive" would have a very different definition than you do.

NYC isn't as "liberal" as you guys seem to think. Just like everywhere else in the world, MOST people don't really care about politics.

Once again, the term "liberal" has a specific meaning - and that meaning isn't "everything you don't like".

I base my experience on living in NYC during the bad old days, and currently, and discussions I have with similar people.
I base my experience on working in NYC politics, including advisory roles on the campaigns of Ferrer and Thompson - both liberal Democrats who ran against Bloomberg.

A centrist.
I dont see nanny state health laws as exactly being libertarian.
Progressives believe in bettering people and society through government regulation. Thats what he is trying to do
I think you'll find that people who self-describe as "progressive" would have a very different definition than you do.

Do do you support the soda ban, or the trans fat ban, or the smoking in bars ban?

A centrist.

Do do you support the soda ban, or the trans fat ban, or the smoking in bars ban?

No, no, and no.

Neither do any "liberals" that I know.

(Except for the smoking ban. Some non-smoker liberals I know support that).

The citizens of NY who self-identify as "liberals" or "progressives" didn't vote for Bloomberg - they voted for the Democrat who ran against him.

The centrists, Republicans, and self-identified "conservatives" are the ones who elected Bloomberg.

Most New Yorkers who remember the bad days of the 80's and early 90's still havent grown to trust a Democratic mayor to keep crime in the city down, even if it doesnt make sense.

He's a law and order liberal. Why else does he love using government edicts to play with his pet projects?

if I recall, he also won by having the laws changed so he could run again(?);) but I get your point.

if I recall, he also won by having the laws changed so he could run again(?);) but I get your point.

Yes, he did. It helped that the entire city council was hitting their term limits as well, so by voting to extend Bloomberg's term limits, they extended their own as well.

The nanny state knows what's best for you..SUBMIT to their control whether you want to or not, yup, just a another signpost on the road to liberal utopia and servitude.

-----------------------------:smoke:

The New York City Board of Health on Thursday approved Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s controversial proposal to ban the sale of large sugary drinks in restaurants and other venues, a sweeping initiative that backers hope will reduce obesity and critics decry as government run amok.

Beginning March 12, the city will prohibit restaurants, mobile food carts, delis and concessions at movie theaters, stadiums or arenas from selling sugary drinks in cups or containers larger than 16 ounces. The city will begin fining sellers for violating the ban in mid-June.

The proposal passed by a vote of eight to zero, with one abstention, one absence and one vacancy on the board. Dr. Thomas Farley, the board’s chairman, called the vote “historic.”

NYC Board of Health Passes 'Soda Ban' - Metropolis - WSJ

How about a ban on truckdriving for truckdrivers next Mr. Bloomburg ? This is known to lead to obesity also in life. A truck driver is on the road for around 12 to 13 hours a day, where as he or she sits on his or her behinds for almost 99.9% of that time driving. It is almost impossible to get the right amount of healthy excersize while doing this sort of job, and then the off time is so limited that there is no time to correct then as well.

I say ban truckdriving for truckdrivers, and end obease truckers in America today.

Truckers could be given a new lease on life by Obama and crew, but how the rest of the nation will survive is ummmmmmmm well not known as of yet. Last I heard they were still working on the details. I just wish they would hurry up because truckers are getting fatter and fatter and fatter out there in truckers land. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:

A centrist.

No, no, and no.

Neither do any "liberals" that I know.

(Except for the smoking ban. Some non-smoker liberals I know support that).

Ok, we agree then.

As for the smoking ban I think its ok for resturants, but for dive bars its just silly.

Except of course if the dive bar wants to restrict smoking on its own, then its ok.

He most certainly is, regardless of what letter is next to his name.

"liberal" isn't a catch-all phrase that includes everything that you don't like.

Every time that Bloomberg has ran for Mayor, he's run on the "Republican" ballot line. He's always been the "righty" candidate.

First he dropped the r next to his name, second, just because he's not the most liberal candidate running

New York City mayoral election, 2009 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And this is interesting

Michael Bloomberg, formerly a Democrat, was elected as a Republican in 2001 and 2005, succeeding another Republican mayor, Rudolph Giuliani, elected in 1993 and 1997. Bloomberg left the Republican Party in 2008, and is now a political independent.

so he's another Charlie Crist and Arlen Specter, just switch parties for political reasons.
New York City mayoral election, 2001 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
WAit there's more
RepublicanMichael Bloomberg
(no separate Republican line)​
LiberalMichael Bloomberg
(no separate Liberal line​
However, businessman Michael Bloomberg, a lifelong Democrat, changed his party affiliation a few months before the election in order to avoid a crowded primary, and ran as a Republican

The Liberal Party of New York hasn't had a ballot line in since 2006 - and Bloomberg never ran on the Liberal party line.

I think you might not understand how NY political parties work. It's a unique system.

You could stand to lose some weight. "Tubby" is giving yourself too much credit. Same goes for me.

Forum List

Back