The War of Southern Aggression

How can it be an act of treason when you've seceded?

Isn't that kinda like your parents trying to ground you after you've moved into your own house?
Poor analogy.

I think it might be more akin to a cheating husband who decides he wants a divorce and declares:
too bad, I'm keeping the house.

Isn't that kinda like your parents trying to ground you after you've moved into your own house?
Poor analogy.

I think it might be more akin to a cheating husband who decides he wants a divorce and declares:
I think the cheating angle is a bad analogy...Unless you want to use it as the husband stalking you, harassing your guests, and spying on you from Ft. Sumter, after you've dumped him and moved out.

Kevin - it was OUR Fort. It belonged to the Federal Government.

South Carolina had no more right to its possession than Kentucky does to Fort Knox

And the Colonies had no more right to anything than South Carolina did to Fort Sumter.

The colonies had a better right for they had not confederated with their free will expressed by the ratification conferences, committees, and legislatures as had the states. The principle of federalism sublimated state will in the larger will of the Union. And, by fiat, Rogue 9's excellent research sweeps the table on whether SC had a right to Ft. Sumter.

Last edited:

Poor analogy.

I think the cheating angle is a bad analogy...Unless you want to use it as the husband stalking you, harassing your guests, and spying on you from Ft. Sumter, after you've dumped him and moved out.
:lol:

I'm going to have to ponder this one for a bit. lol.

Edit: If you could work a little slave action in there, I think I might be able to ride with it for a bit.

Last edited:

Your analogy presumes, a priori, that secession through the means used by South Carolina is constitutionally legitimate. It isn't.
As soon as I finish reading War and Peace, I'll read the OP.
I repeat my previous post. :razz:

Last edited:

Well, the South got it's ass throughly and justly kicked. And your anology is as adolescent as the rest of your posts.

We've been here before Kevin.

The South fired the first shots even before Lincoln was President.

Yes, in another act of belligerence by Lincoln's predecessor, at least he had the sense not to escalate the situation. This prior incident also shows that Lincoln knew what the consequences of his actions would be, and still went ahead and tried to resupply Fort Sumter. He knew the south would attack, and he knew he could use that to get public opinion on his side for a war with the south.
Buchanan had the cowardice to refuse to execute the duties of his office. South Carolina had no claim to Fort Sumter. Want proof? Here you go:
Committee on Federal Relations
In the House of Representatives, December 31st, 1836

"The Committee on Federal relations, to which was referred the Governor's message, relating to the site of Fort Sumter, in the harbour of Charleston, and the report of the Committee on Federal Relations from the Senate on the same subject, beg leave to Report by Resolution:

"Resolved, That this state do cede to the United States, all the right, title and claim of South Carolina to the site of Fort Sumter and the requisite quantity of adjacent territory, Provided, That all processes, civil and criminal issued under the authority of this State, or any officer thereof, shall and may be served and executed upon the same, and any person there being who may be implicated by law; and that the said land, site and structures enumerated, shall be forever exempt from liability to pay any tax to this state.

"Also resolved: That the State shall extinguish the claim, if any valid claim there be, of any individuals under the authority of this State, to the land hereby ceded.

"Also resolved, That the Attorney-General be instructed to investigate the claims of Wm. Laval and others to the site of Fort Sumter, and adjacent land contiguous thereto; and if he shall be of the opinion that these parties have a legal title to the said land, that Generals Hamilton and Hayne and James L. Pringle, Thomas Bennett and Ker. Boyce, Esquires, be appointed Commissioners on behalf of the State, to appraise the value thereof. If the Attorney-General should be of the opinion that the said title is not legal and valid, that he proceed by seire facius of other proper legal proceedings to have the same avoided; and that the Attorney-General and the said Commissioners report to the Legislature at its next session.

"Resolved, That this House to agree. Ordered that it be sent to the Senate for concurrence. By order of the House:

"T. W. Glover, C. H. R."
"In Senate, December 21st, 1836

"Resolved, that the Senate do concur. Ordered that it be returned to the House of Representatives, By order:

Jacob Warly, C. S.
As the above bill passed by the South Carolina legislature twenty-five years before clearly states, all claim of the state to the site of the fort was extinguished, and it was wholly the property of the United States federal government. South Carolinian insurgents attacked the fort without first being fired upon (from batteries that had also been given over to the federal government in like manner, I might add), which is an act of war, and since they were citizens of the United States, an act of treason as well.

Yes, Fort Sumter was a federal fort, but it was also within the territory of South Carolina. I wonder how many British forts were taken by the Colonies in the Revolutionary War. Obviously they had no claim to those.

Yes, in another act of belligerence by Lincoln's predecessor, at least he had the sense not to escalate the situation. This prior incident also shows that Lincoln knew what the consequences of his actions would be, and still went ahead and tried to resupply Fort Sumter. He knew the south would attack, and he knew he could use that to get public opinion on his side for a war with the south.
Buchanan had the cowardice to refuse to execute the duties of his office. South Carolina had no claim to Fort Sumter. Want proof? Here you go:
Committee on Federal Relations
In the House of Representatives, December 31st, 1836

"The Committee on Federal relations, to which was referred the Governor's message, relating to the site of Fort Sumter, in the harbour of Charleston, and the report of the Committee on Federal Relations from the Senate on the same subject, beg leave to Report by Resolution:

"Resolved, That this state do cede to the United States, all the right, title and claim of South Carolina to the site of Fort Sumter and the requisite quantity of adjacent territory, Provided, That all processes, civil and criminal issued under the authority of this State, or any officer thereof, shall and may be served and executed upon the same, and any person there being who may be implicated by law; and that the said land, site and structures enumerated, shall be forever exempt from liability to pay any tax to this state.

"Also resolved: That the State shall extinguish the claim, if any valid claim there be, of any individuals under the authority of this State, to the land hereby ceded.

"Also resolved, That the Attorney-General be instructed to investigate the claims of Wm. Laval and others to the site of Fort Sumter, and adjacent land contiguous thereto; and if he shall be of the opinion that these parties have a legal title to the said land, that Generals Hamilton and Hayne and James L. Pringle, Thomas Bennett and Ker. Boyce, Esquires, be appointed Commissioners on behalf of the State, to appraise the value thereof. If the Attorney-General should be of the opinion that the said title is not legal and valid, that he proceed by seire facius of other proper legal proceedings to have the same avoided; and that the Attorney-General and the said Commissioners report to the Legislature at its next session.

"Resolved, That this House to agree. Ordered that it be sent to the Senate for concurrence. By order of the House:

"T. W. Glover, C. H. R."
"In Senate, December 21st, 1836

"Resolved, that the Senate do concur. Ordered that it be returned to the House of Representatives, By order:

Jacob Warly, C. S.
As the above bill passed by the South Carolina legislature twenty-five years before clearly states, all claim of the state to the site of the fort was extinguished, and it was wholly the property of the United States federal government. South Carolinian insurgents attacked the fort without first being fired upon (from batteries that had also been given over to the federal government in like manner, I might add), which is an act of war, and since they were citizens of the United States, an act of treason as well.

Yes, Fort Sumter was a federal fort, but it was also within the territory of South Carolina. I wonder how many British forts were taken by the Colonies in the Revolutionary War. Obviously they had no claim to those.
Did the British fight for their claim to them? Why yes they did.

Was the newly formed United States victorious in the battle? Why yes they were.

Winning. It's what matters.

So, if I amnd my hippie compatriots elected to take cut off a FEDERAL MILITARY BASE here in Maine from receiving supplies, and if we DECLARE that Maine is no longer part of the USA, you would support me, right?

You would not be calling for the FED to send in troops to take back that military base because you believe in STATES rights?

Is that what you apologists for the Southern cause really believe?

Excellent research! It is always amusing to see people pretend that the war was not about slavery.

I thought this was interesting and I actually recall being told about it in school.
These products are peculiar to the climate verging on the tropical regions, and by an imperious law of nature, none but the black race can bear exposure to the tropical sun.

Sadly, there are those that still believe this idiocy.

Excellent research! It is always amusing to see people pretend that the war was not about slavery.

I thought this was interesting and I actually recall being told about it in school.
These products are peculiar to the climate verging on the tropical regions, and by an imperious law of nature, none but the black race can bear exposure to the tropical sun.
Sadly, there are those that still believe this idiocy.
Yep.

That was from the Mississippi Declaration of Secession. A Document as important to them as the Declaration of Independence.

The words preceding those above are: “Our position is thoroughly identified with the institution of slavery — the greatest material interest of the world."

A few sentences later: "a blow at slavery is a blow at commerce and civilization."

Owning human beings to the South: The greatest material interest in the world.

The South fought a war to protect their ability to continue the second worst crime against humanity, slavery, and dressed that crime is fancy rhetoric. They were served a deserved ration of justice by those that fought to preserve the United States of America, and to end this crime in our nation.

The continued resentment of those that regard this as an infringement on their rights only confirms the fact that there is something very sick in a culture that failed the see the immorality and criminality of their actions in that period.

Might doesn't make right.

So, if I amnd my hippie compatriots elected to take cut off a FEDERAL MILITARY BASE here in Maine from receiving supplies, and if we DECLARE that Maine is no longer part of the USA, you would support me, right?

You would not be calling for the FED to send in troops to take back that military base because you believe in STATES rights?

Is that what you apologists for the Southern cause really believe?

Well since I believe in the right of secession it wouldn't make much sense for me to oppose the right of Maine to secede.

The belief in secession today is out of step with historical precedent: you know, secede and bleed!

Might doesn't make right.
But when Might is used for Right, it shines as its own evidence in the Sunlight.

Forum List

Back