The VA "scandal" in context

LAMBRO: Unearthing the depth of the VA's malfeasance - Washington Times

It’s been going on for a great deal longer, too, as a mountain of Government Accountability Office audits can attest over many decades: Countless reports of medical mistreatment; dangerously lengthy delays for ill veterans seeking care; shocking mortality rates when compared with private-sector hospitals for similar surgeries; old, rundown facilities; and aged, broken medical equipment.
Seeing how this is the hot topic of the moment, and a lot of the partisan shrills are jumping up and down because they can attack Obama over this while ignoring, or just blowing off the context of what i call "factual history".

So you have a bloated machine leaking "oil" everywhere and the mechanics ( congress) throwing their hands up in the air and saying " yeah thats a problem" and just stand there watching it.

and tiny flag pins make you patriotic.

Which seems is more of the same over the decades.

Oh we all remember Walter reed right? i remember all that outrage....oh wait..

I recall a more shocking situation when I was writing about GAO investigations in the 1970s and 1980s that told of higher-than-normal fatality rates in VA hospitals.
I dont remember Obama being President at the time.....By chance who was running things back then? Nixon, ford, carter and the saint Reagan.

So the reality is this has been an ongoing problem for decades that covers both the left and the right fairly decently. I know this wont stop the partisans from doing their typical low brow intelligence posting, but maybe this will sway a few people to just say " Hey this needs to stop and everyone is accountable.

As I've said from the beginning, the quality of care from the VA is impeccable, the problems lie within the bureaucracy one has to muddle through to get that care.

The Obamacare rollout was a disaster because funding was limited and a substandard contractor was used for such a massive project.

Get rid of the appointed bureaucrats and replace them with administrative professionals with knowledge of the health are delivery system; then hire sufficient professional clerical healthcare workers on a temporary basis to clear the backlog of disability applications. And find the money to do it.

Impeccable care? Seriously?

Seeing how this is the hot topic of the moment, and a lot of the partisan shrills are jumping up and down because they can attack Obama over this while ignoring, or just blowing off the context of what i call "factual history".

So you have a bloated machine leaking "oil" everywhere and the mechanics ( congress) throwing their hands up in the air and saying " yeah thats a problem" and just stand there watching it.

I dont remember Obama being President at the time.....By chance who was running things back then? Nixon, ford, carter and the saint Reagan.

So the reality is this has been an ongoing problem for decades that covers both the left and the right fairly decently. I know this wont stop the partisans from doing their typical low brow intelligence posting, but maybe this will sway a few people to just say " Hey this needs to stop and everyone is accountable.

As I've said from the beginning, the quality of care from the VA is impeccable, the problems lie within the bureaucracy one has to muddle through to get that care.

The Obamacare rollout was a disaster because funding was limited and a substandard contractor was used for such a massive project.

Get rid of the appointed bureaucrats and replace them with administrative professionals with knowledge of the health are delivery system; then hire sufficient professional clerical healthcare workers on a temporary basis to clear the backlog of disability applications. And find the money to do it.

I've posted the proof here several times. That you don't care to understand the difference between two distinct things is your problem.

It’s been going on for a great deal longer, too, as a mountain of Government Accountability Office audits can attest over many decades: Countless reports of medical mistreatment; dangerously lengthy delays for ill veterans seeking care; shocking mortality rates when compared with private-sector hospitals for similar surgeries; old, rundown facilities; and aged, broken medical equipment.

I recall a more shocking situation when I was writing about GAO investigations in the 1970s and 1980s that told of higher-than-normal fatality rates in VA hospitals.

So, basically, it comes down to the fact that the government can't do anything right.

Didn't I already start a thread about this?

http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/355650-the-va-is-what-you-get-when-the-government-works.html

Nobody cares about your threads. We'd all prefer you just die.

As for funding, here is what I have posted in every thread I see on the same topic. Funding has increase for the last 10 years, and massively. I can't believe people just say BS without at least doing a google on the subject.

Fact check: Was Obama correct on VA funding increases?

Funding was as follows:

2009:$97.7 billion;

2010:$127.2 billion;

2011: $125.5 billion;

2012: $126.8 billion;

2013: $139.1 billion;

2014: $153.8 billion;

2015: $163.9 billion.

For once Obama was right, I think. This whole VA problem, in my opinion, is being blown out of proportion but if there is fault to be found it is clearly with the administration.

BOTTOM LINE: Obama was unclear about what he considers the "last" five years during which the country has made progress in VA funding. He may have meant 2009 through 2014, which would represent a $56.1billion increase,or 2010 through 2015, which would represent a $36.7billion bump, according to the VA's Fast Facts.

THE FINDING: Four stars: true.

Despite the uncertainty of whether Obama was referring to the five-year period ending in fiscal 2014 or fiscal 2015, he was right on both counts.

The VA's funding has risen by tens of billions of dollars, and it has reached record or historic levels.

it just goes to show ya that Big Government can't run anything right.....in the free market you provide good service or die...all Government does is create big money pits....

This is just not really entirely true. Yes, the VA has problems but so do civilian hospitals. The truth is though the VA provides good service to the vast majority just like civilian hospitals but it is only going to get worse in civilian hospitals with the influx of new patients that won't have to pay and will by nature abuse the system.

Don't be a partisan hack.

Bush had wait times down to about 135 days, now they average 260, you got something more than an out of context chart.

Now answer my question, name anything maobama has done other than giving lip service?
Link it. And there was even more money in his budget, every year.

Every federal agency gets more money every year even the sequester just slowed the growth, it didn't reverse it. Now back to my link, did you bother to read the promises he hasn't bothered to fulfill?

BTW folks, for those who never served, it is not exactly news that service men and women like to bitch.

These words could only have been spoken by someone who has served, so thanks.

The Professor: Former radio/telegraph operator and member of Second ANGLICO (Air and Naval Gun Fire Liaison Company), United States Marine Corps.

Thanks for your service Professor. I served pretty much the whole of the VietNam war so you can just imagine the bitchin'.

Freewill: Former Machinist Mate first class SSBN 633

These and other problems in the VA’s vast bureaucracy have been exposed in a sea of reports now gathering dust in congressional oversight committees that have failed to effectively address their findings.

Let’s go back seven years ago, when Washington Post reporters — after exposing shockingly shabby, unhealthy conditions at Walter Reed Army Medical Center — found many of the same problems existed throughout the VA’s organization.

They all do it.
BOOOSH

It's all the Left has any more.
The facts are that vets were not dying from delays like this, there was not the fraud by the VA like this under Bush, Obama knew about it in 2008, and Obama did nothing to stop it.

so Freewill what is your solution?

So plasmaballs what is your solution?

i asked first free....Ill answer you after..

I had already answered in post 53 but I should have asked back in that post.

Here was my answer: Find those responsible and make then accountable.

Here is the biggest problem I see with Obama and what I said in another post, he writes checks with his mouth his ass can't cash. In other words he ran with all this rhetoric about how HE was going to fix EVERYTHING but in reality he has fixed nothing, in my opinion. Anyone with experience or common sense doesn't set goals they can not obtain. Obama did just that and failure was a certainty. Now he should just take it like a man and deal with the problem. But no, once again past presidents are being dredged up to try and make Obama look better. I think everyone is getting tired of the same old BS.

I've posted the proof here several times. That you don't care to understand the difference between two distinct things is your problem.

Impeccable means free from fault or error. Are you actually trying to argue that, aside from the massive bureaucracy, the VA is perfect?

So, basically, it comes down to the fact that the government can't do anything right.

Didn't I already start a thread about this?

http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/355650-the-va-is-what-you-get-when-the-government-works.html

Nobody cares about your threads. We'd all prefer you just die.

Yet you keep replying to my posts.

As for funding, here is what I have posted in every thread I see on the same topic. Funding has increase for the last 10 years, and massively. I can't believe people just say BS without at least doing a google on the subject.

Fact check: Was Obama correct on VA funding increases?

Funding was as follows:

2009:$97.7 billion;

2010:$127.2 billion;

2011: $125.5 billion;

2012: $126.8 billion;

2013: $139.1 billion;

2014: $153.8 billion;

2015: $163.9 billion.

For once Obama was right, I think. This whole VA problem, in my opinion, is being blown out of proportion but if there is fault to be found it is clearly with the administration.

BOTTOM LINE: Obama was unclear about what he considers the "last" five years during which the country has made progress in VA funding. He may have meant 2009 through 2014, which would represent a $56.1billion increase,or 2010 through 2015, which would represent a $36.7billion bump, according to the VA's Fast Facts.

THE FINDING: Four stars: true.

Despite the uncertainty of whether Obama was referring to the five-year period ending in fiscal 2014 or fiscal 2015, he was right on both counts.

The VA's funding has risen by tens of billions of dollars, and it has reached record or historic levels.

it just goes to show ya that Big Government can't run anything right.....in the free market you provide good service or die...all Government does is create big money pits....

This is just not really entirely true. Yes, the VA has problems but so do civilian hospitals. The truth is though the VA provides good service to the vast majority just like civilian hospitals but it is only going to get worse in civilian hospitals with the influx of new patients that won't have to pay and will by nature abuse the system.

The difference is civilian hospitals do not pay their managers bonuses for killing people.

The difference is civilian hospitals do not pay their managers bonuses for killing people.

Yet they do. More evidence your head is firmly planted up your ass.

http://www.beckershospitalreview.co...compensation-in-2013-8-trends-to-monitor.html.

Last edited:

Could you provide the name of the individuals so I can forward it to Obama? I am sure he would stop a program that awards people for killing people. Except maybe for the drone program. :badgrin:

What you have done is what is wrong with trying to discuss anything on this board. No one was paid to kill anyone. (expect the drone program)

So plasmaballs what is your solution?

i asked first free....Ill answer you after..

I had already answered in post 53 but I should have asked back in that post.

Here was my answer: Find those responsible and make then accountable.

Here is the biggest problem I see with Obama and what I said in another post, he writes checks with his mouth his ass can't cash. In other words he ran with all this rhetoric about how HE was going to fix EVERYTHING but in reality he has fixed nothing, in my opinion. Anyone with experience or common sense doesn't set goals they can not obtain. Obama did just that and failure was a certainty. Now he should just take it like a man and deal with the problem. But no, once again past presidents are being dredged up to try and make Obama look better. I think everyone is getting tired of the same old BS.
Yep.

Bush had wait times down to about 135 days, now they average 260, you got something more than an out of context chart.

Now answer my question, name anything maobama has done other than giving lip service?
Link it. And there was even more money in his budget, every year.

Every federal agency gets more money every year even the sequester just slowed the growth, it didn't reverse it. Now back to my link, did you bother to read the promises he hasn't bothered to fulfill?

You must be confused, Politifact rated Obama's promise to make the Veterans Administration a national leader in health reform as kept in 2012.

BoNNO48CMAAzagm.png

They changed that now, of course. Do you think it will be the lie of the year this year?

Anecdotal proof is not proof. I have proof that the VA fucked up, and their care sucks. I've posted it twice already. He couldn't go to the VA because he knew that "that they kill people." This was in 2010 mind you. So, impeccable care my backside.

BTW folks, for those who never served, it is not exactly news that service men and women like to bitch.

These words could only have been spoken by someone who has served, so thanks.

The Professor: Former radio/telegraph operator and member of Second ANGLICO (Air and Naval Gun Fire Liaison Company), United States Marine Corps.

Thanks for your service Professor. I served pretty much the whole of the VietNam war so you can just imagine the bitchin'.

Freewill: Former Machinist Mate first class SSBN 633

You were a boomer? They tried to get me to volunteer while I was in school in Orlando, but going out in something designed to shink didn't appeal to me.

We did bitch a lot though.

QW Former Electronics Technician First Class CGN-35.

Last edited:

Yet they do. More evidence your head is firmly planted up your ass.

Hospital and Health System Executive Compensation in 2013: 8 Trends to Monitor.

Your link has nothing to do with what I said, what's your point?

Could you provide the name of the individuals so I can forward it to Obama? I am sure he would stop a program that awards people for killing people. Except maybe for the drone program. :badgrin:

What you have done is what is wrong with trying to discuss anything on this board. No one was paid to kill anyone. (expect the drone program)

Shimeski started a bonus program for VA employees that contributed to increases in productivity, like reducing the waiting lists.

Despite backlogs, VA disability claims processors get bonuses - The Washington Post

I admit to a bit of hyperbole, but the VA actually did pay bonuses to the people that were responsible for the waiting lists and the cover up. Perhaps you should lighten up a little, life is to short to take a message board seriously.

Forum List

Back