The United States IS a Christian Nation

SmarterThanHick

Where do our "inalienable rights" come from?

How come all fifty states' preambles mention God?

Article. VII, US Constitution:

"Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven"

Our National Anthem includes these words:

Then conquer we must, for our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner forever shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

“We have staked the whole future of American civilization, not upon the power of government, far from it. We’ve staked the future of all our political institutions upon our capacity…to sustain ourselves according to the Ten Commandments of God.” [1778 to the General Assembly of the State of Virginia]
James Madison

Woah...cowgirl! Stow the we and use the me. There are a hell of as lot of people that would like to toss your dumb christian asses on a boat and send ya packing back to wherever your stupid christianity came from. Lets clear some more land in the mid east and let you whahoouus set up shop right next to where Jesus walked. I am soooo tired of you christian assholes thinking you can run MY country.

With about 80 percent of Americans identifying themselves as Christian, I'd say you're fucked in the head if you think we're going anywhere.

Tell me, what does it matter to you anyhow? If you don't beleive in God then why are you worried about those that do?

Anno Domini - Latin for The Year Of Our Lord

excellent! so the literal translation of "1787 AD" is "in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven" - the EXACT phrase used to date the constitution. It has nothing to do with religion, just dating terms.

Our Lord has nothing to do with religion? You are not smarter than a hick, you are dumber than a rock!

This country was founded in 1776, and it finally shows up on the money almost 100 years later.

Your assertion that "in the Year of our Lord" was also evidence has been debunked, as it has been proven that it was used routinely, not just for countries founded by Christians.

Now? You're printing out what we've just shown you. Way to go Dim Bulb/No Logic!

Remember this?

SmarterThanHick

Where do our "inalienable rights" come from?

How come all fifty states' preambles mention God?

Article. VII, US Constitution:

"Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven"

Our National Anthem includes these words:

Then conquer we must, for our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner forever shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

“We have staked the whole future of American civilization, not upon the power of government, far from it. We’ve staked the future of all our political institutions upon our capacity…to sustain ourselves according to the Ten Commandments of God.” [1778 to the General Assembly of the State of Virginia]
James Madison

Try again ya fucking retard.

Last edited:
You are really afraid of religion, huh? Religion has influenced every one of us in our lives, even you. Everything you believe one way or the other follows you like a shadow STH. Every determination, based on what you think you know.
Afraid? How did you draw that conclusion? Everything I believe one way or another does follow me like a shadow - what does that have to do with religion? You think you can't believe anything without religion? That's kinda sad if you do.

Our Lord has nothing to do with religion? You are not smarter than a hick, you are dumber than a rock!
Let's just put aside the fact that the phrase is simply referring to the formal date, and assume for the sake of argument that it was meant as a religious reference. Whose Lord are you referencing when you say "Our Lord"? You mean the Muslim god? Perhaps you mean the Lord of the castle in New New Jersey? Tell me, which word or phrase in that simple reference of the DATE infers Christianity to you?

You are really afraid of religion, huh? Religion has influenced every one of us in our lives, even you. Everything you believe one way or the other follows you like a shadow STH. Every determination, based on what you think you know.
Afraid? How did you draw that conclusion? Everything I believe one way or another does follow me like a shadow - what does that have to do with religion? You think you can't believe anything without religion? That's kinda sad if you do.

Let's just put aside the fact that the phrase is simply referring to the formal date, and assume for the sake of argument that it was meant as a religious reference. Whose Lord are you referencing when you say "Our Lord"? You mean the Muslim god? Perhaps you mean the Lord of the castle in New New Jersey? Tell me, which word or phrase in that simple reference of the DATE infers Christianity to you?

You're free to believe whatever you want. The truth however is that our forefathers were mostly devout religious men and you are truly a dumbass if you think that their respected religions had no influence on how this country was formed.

Out of curiousity, are you an athiest?

Anything You believe not based on fact is of Religion.

The truth however is that our forefathers were mostly devout religious men and you are truly a dumbass if you think that their respected religions had no influence on how this country was formed.
Oh that's the truth, is it? After we've laid down all the facts which suggest otherwise and you've responded by using lies from religious zealots in a desperate attempt to support yourself, I'm still wrong, eh? Well, by all means, point to these devout religious forefathers. Name me a few. Then tell me what proportion believed religion had a place in national government.

What?!

Let me get this straight: anything I believe that isn't fact is religion? So, if I say I like the color blue, that's religious? What if I say something like "I think it's a nice day out"? That's religious too? How about: conservative religious nutjobs sound less intelligent than the rest of the world. Where is the religion in any of these non-fact-based beliefs?

You may want to stop posting in this thread now.

Lonestar_Logic and Intense are not cognitively competent.

That is the only way to explain their answers.

No, I am wrong. My friend points out that Tolkien is writing theology so is Lucas in Star Wars.

The truth however is that our forefathers were mostly devout religious men and you are truly a dumbass if you think that their respected religions had no influence on how this country was formed.
Oh that's the truth, is it? After we've laid down all the facts which suggest otherwise and you've responded by using lies from religious zealots in a desperate attempt to support yourself, I'm still wrong, eh? Well, by all means, point to these devout religious forefathers. Name me a few. Then tell me what proportion believed religion had a place in national government.

What?!

Let me get this straight: anything I believe that isn't fact is religion? So, if I say I like the color blue, that's religious? What if I say something like "I think it's a nice day out"? That's religious too? How about: conservative religious nutjobs sound less intelligent than the rest of the world. Where is the religion in any of these non-fact-based beliefs?

You may want to stop posting in this thread now.

Religion is bases on Belief, not likes. If You believed blue was a nice color, if you believed the day was nice, how would you Prove that. I believe that You are an Anti-God Religious Nut Job. Your Religion is the State, or the Total Bullshit that so easily passes as reason for You. Your Religion Persecutes Others for Believing in Almighty God. Your Religion seeks to harm those You do not understand, rather than Study deeper. It's in your MO. Your pattern is sloppy, and full of holes.

Again. Religion of the Founding Fathers of America Don't forget to accuse me of copying and pasting again, or that note that the Post has no meaning. Jackass.

Religious Affiliation of the Signers of the
Articles of Confederation
Religious Affiliation # of
signers % of
signers
Episcopalian/Anglican 14 29%
Congregationalist 9 19%
Presbyterian 4 8%
Catholic 1 2%
Quaker 1 2%
Huguenot 1 2%
Lutheran 1 2%
Protestant, denomination unknown 18 38%
TOTAL 48 100%

Name of Signer State Religious Affiliation
Daniel Carroll Maryland Catholic
Andrew Adams Connecticut Congregationalist
Richard Hutson South Carolina Congregationalist
Samuel Adams Massachusetts Congregationalist
Josiah Bartlett New Hampshire Congregationalist
William Ellery Rhode Island Congregationalist
John Hancock Massachusetts Congregationalist
Samuel Huntington Connecticut Congregationalist
Roger Sherman Connecticut Congregationalist
Oliver Wolcott Connecticut Congregationalist
Thomas Heyward Jr. South Carolina Episcopalian
John Penn North Carolina Episcopalian
Francis Lightfoot Lee Virginia Episcopalian
Richard Henry Lee Virginia Episcopalian
Francis Lewis New York Episcopalian
Elbridge Gerry Massachusetts Episcopalian
John Banister Virginia Episcopalian
James Duane New York Episcopalian
Edward Langworthy Georgia Episcopalian
Gouverneur Morris New York Episcopalian
Nicholas Van Dyke Delaware Episcopalian
Robert Morris Pennsylvania Episcopalian
Cornelius Harnett North Carolina Episcopalian (Deist)
John Dickinson Delaware Quaker; Episcopalian
Henry Laurens South Carolina Huguenot
John Hanson Maryland Lutheran
Thomas McKean Delaware Presbyterian
John Witherspoon New Jersey Presbyterian
John Walton Georgia Presbyterian
Nathaniel Scudder New Jersey Presbyterian
William Clingan Pennsylvania Protestant, denomination unknown
Joseph Reed Pennsylvania Protestant, denomination unknown
Daniel Roberdeau Pennsylvania Protestant, denomination unknown
Jonathan Bayard Smith Pennsylvania Protestant, denomination unknown
Francis Dana Massachusetts Protestant, denomination unknown
Samuel Holten Massachusetts Protestant, denomination unknown
James Lovell Massachusetts Protestant, denomination unknown
Henry Marchant Rhode Island Protestant, denomination unknown
John Collins Rhode Island Protestant, denomination unknown
Thomas Adams Virginia Protestant, denomination unknown
John Harvie Virginia Protestant, denomination unknown
John Mathews South Carolina Protestant, denomination unknown
William Henry Drayton South Carolina Protestant, denomination unknown
William Duer New York Protestant, denomination unknown
Titus Hosmer Connecticut Protestant, denomination unknown
Edward Telfair Georgia Protestant, denomination unknown
John Wentworth Jr. New Hampshire Protestant, denomination unknown
John Williams North Carolina Protestant, denomination unknown

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Religious Affiliation of the Delegates to the
Constitutional Convention of 1787, including the
Signers of the Constitution of the United States of America
There were 55 delegates to the Constitutional Convention of 1787 at which the U.S. Constitution was drafted and signed. All participated in the proceedings which resulted in the Constitution, but only 39 of these delegates were actually signers of the document.
From: Robert G. Ferris (editor), Signers of the Constitution: Historic Places Commemorating the Signing of the Constitution, published by the United States Department of the Interior, National Park Service: Washington, D.C. (revised edition 1976), page 138:

Most of the [signers of the Constitution] married and fathered children. Sherman sired the largest family, numbering 15 by two wives... Three (Baldwin, Gilman, and Jenifer) were lifetime bachelors. In terms of religious affiliation, the men mirrored the overwhelmingly Protestant character of American religious life at the time and were members of various denominations. Only two, Carroll and Fitzsimons, were Roman Catholics.
Religious Affiliation # of
delegates % of
delegates
Episcopalian/Anglican 31 56.4%
Presbyterian 16 29.1%
Congregationalist 8 14.5%
Quaker 3 5.5%
Catholic 2 3.6%
Methodist 2 3.6%
Lutheran 2 3.6%
Dutch Reformed 2 3.6%
TOTAL 55 100%

Name of Signer State Religious Affiliation
Daniel Carroll Maryland Catholic
Thomas Fitzsimons Pennsylvania Catholic
Roger Sherman Connecticut Congregationalist
Nathaniel Gorham Massachusetts Congregationalist
John Langdon New Hampshire Congregationalist
Nicholas Gilman New Hampshire Congregationalist
Abraham Baldwin Georgia Congregationalist; Episcopalian
William Samuel Johnson Connecticut Episcopalian; Presbyterian
James Madison Jr. Virginia Episcopalian
George Read Delaware Episcopalian
Daniel of St. Thomas Jenifer Maryland Episcopalian
David Brearly New Jersey Episcopalian
Richard Dobbs Spaight, Sr. North Carolina Episcopalian
Robert Morris Pennsylvania Episcopalian
Gouverneur Morris Pennsylvania Episcopalian
John Rutledge South Carolina Episcopalian
Charles Cotesworth Pinckney South Carolina Episcopalian
Charles Pinckney South Carolina Episcopalian
Pierce Butler South Carolina Episcopalian
George Washington Virginia Episcopalian
Benjamin Franklin Pennsylvania Episcopalian (Deist)
William Blount North Carolina Episcopalian; Presbyterian
James Wilson Pennsylvania Episcopalian; Presbyteran
Rufus King Massachusetts Episcopalian; Congregationalist
Jacob Broom Delaware Lutheran
William Few Georgia Methodist
Richard Bassett Delaware Methodist
Gunning Bedford Jr. Delaware Presbyterian
James McHenry Maryland Presbyterian
William Livingston New Jersey Presbyterian
William Paterson New Jersey Presbyterian
Hugh Williamson North Carolina Presbyterian
Jared Ingersoll Pennsylvania Presbyterian
Alexander Hamilton New York Huguenot; Presbyterian; Episcopalian
Jonathan Dayton New Jersey Presbyterian; Episcopalian
John Blair Virginia Presbyterian; Episcopalian
John Dickinson Delaware Quaker; Episcopalian
George Clymer Pennsylvania Quaker; Episcopalian
Thomas Mifflin Pennsylvania Quaker; Lutheran

Name of Non-Signing Delegate State Religious Affiliation
Oliver Ellsworth Connecticut Congregationalist
Caleb Strong Massachusetts Congregationalist
John Lansing, Jr. New York Dutch Reformed
Robert Yates New York Dutch Reformed
William Houstoun Georgia Episcopalian
William Leigh Pierce Georgia Episcopalian
Luther Martin Maryland Episcopalian
John F. Mercer Maryland Episcopalian
Elbridge Gerry Massachusetts Episcopalian
George Mason Virginia Episcopalian
Edmund J. Randolph Virginia Episcopalian
George Wythe Virginia Episcopalian
James McClurg Virginia Presbyterian
William C. Houston New Jersey Presbyterian
William R. Davie North Carolina Presbyterian
Alexander Martin North Carolina Presbyterian

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Multiple Roles
Of course, virtually all of the "Founding Fathers" had multiple roles in the formation of the country, in the broad sense that takes into account military leadership, financial sponsorship, various miscellaneous state and federal positions, etc. But there were many individuals who had multiple roles among categorie of Founding Fathers ennumerated on this page. That is, they signed more than one of the foundational documents (the Declaration, the Articles of Confederation, the Constitution) or they signed one (or more) of these documents and also served in the First Federal Congress. These individuals with "multiple roles" were: Abraham Baldwin; Benjamin Franklin; Charles Carroll; Daniel Carroll; Elbridge Gerry; Francis Lewis; Francis Lightfoot Lee; George Clymer; George Read; Gouverneur Morris; Hugh Williamson; James Wilson; John Dickinson; John Hancock; John Penn; John Witherspoon; Josiah Bartlett; Nicholas Gilman; Oliver Wolcott; Pierce Butler; Richard Bassett; Richard Henry Lee; Robert Morris; Roger Sherman; Rufus King; Samuel Adams; Samuel Huntington; Thomas Fitzsimons; Thomas Heyward Jr.; Thomas McKean; William Ellery; William Few; William Floyd; William Paterson; William Samuel Johnson; James Madison Jr.; John Langdon; Caleb Strong; Oliver Ellsworth; George Wythe.

No, I am wrong. My friend points out that Tolkien is writing theology so is Lucas in Star Wars.

You are wrong, yet consistent. That has got to count for something.

It's really easy for some to trash organized Religion, History, and demand Proof. What You don't get is that Many of Your Assumptions are based also on things that You do Believe, yet cannot Prove Yourselves. You consistently make Claims that You cannot Support.

You attack something You cannot begin to Understand, Christianity. It is You that are unprepared.

the founding fathers and their surroundings and environment influenced their creation of our country. These men did not do this alone....nearly the entire colony was behind this move to create our country.

IT did NOT happen in a vacuum with only the founding fathers....this had to pass muster with the communities and citizens and legislators and yes, even church communities in all the states when ratified.

All I am saying, is that it is common sense that our creation as a nation was heavily influence by the society that surrounded us...which primarily was made up of Christians, though different denominations of such.

THIS does not mean we are a Christian Nation, as in a Theocracy, because we are clearly not, and we all made certain of such....not just the founding fathers, but all the citizens within all the states agreed to this regarding our federal gvt.

We were a Nation, founded by primarily Christians/(some Deists)

It's really easy for some to trash organized Religion, History, and demand Proof. What You don't get is that Many of Your Assumptions are based also on things that You do Believe, yet cannot Prove Yourselves. You consistently make Claims that You cannot Support.

You attack something You cannot begin to Understand, Christianity. It is You that are unprepared.

You have not supported a claim that the Founders wanted organized religion in government. Not one piece of evidence, period! Almost every Founder with the exception of Paine and Allen were religious, Christians and deists. Almost every last one of them, with the exception of Patrick Henry, did not want an established national religion.

What don't you understand?

Christian Dominationism is not of the theology of Jesus Christ, it is of man, and you are being led down a dark, windy road. I counsel you that you read and follow Proverbs 24:7.

You have not supported a claim that the Founders wanted organized religion in government. Not one piece of evidence, period! Almost every Founder with the exception of Paine and Allen were religious, Christians and deists. Almost every last one of them, with the exception of Patrick Henry, did not want an established national religion.

Christian Dominationism is not of the theology of Jesus Christ, it is of man, and you are being led down a dark, windy road. I counsel you that you read and follow Proverbs 24:7.

I do not support the claim that Our Founders wanted Organized Religion In Government! Wake the Fuck Up! What is wrong with your reading skills Jake?

I do not support the claim that Our Founders wanted Organized Religion In Government! Wake the Fuck Up! What is wrong with your reading skills Jake?

Son, if you think I am attacking Christianity, you are stone-cold stoned. If you, Intense, think this is a Christian Nation, then you are nuts. And if you are just chattering to hear those great big incisors clicking and clacking on one another, then go gather some nuts.

Locke, Madison, Thoreau, King, were advocates of Conscience. Conscience brings out the best in All of Us. They distinguish between Conscience and Dogma, plainly. That is one argument here. That there is or is not a God is another argument here. That Good or Evil exist at all is another. That Rights exist whether recognized or not is Another. The source of those right that may or may not exist separate from society is another. Is The USA a Christian Nation? Within Government it is Secular. Within the Society it is personal Choice.

Son, if you think I am attacking Christianity, you are stone-cold stoned. If you, Intense, think this is a Christian Nation, then you are nuts. And if you are just chattering to hear those great big incisors clicking and clacking on one another, then go gather some nuts.

Jake, Son, I think the Viagra is cutting off circulation to your brain. :lol::lol::lol:

Religion is bases on Belief, not likes. If You believed blue was a nice color, if you believed the day was nice, how would you Prove that.
Note how you say religious is based on belief, and then go on to contrast the "likes" I stated in a manner of belief!? You even used the same root word to describe it. You're hysterical! And then you end with "how would you prove that"? How do you prove RELIGION? You can't!

So again I say: all beliefs are not religious.

Intense said:
I believe that You are an Anti-God Religious Nut Job. Your Religion is the State, or the Total Bullshit that so easily passes as reason for You. Your Religion Persecutes Others for Believing in Almighty God. Your Religion seeks to harm those You do not understand, rather than Study deeper. It's in your MO. Your pattern is sloppy, and full of holes.
So let's recap the stupidity you've brought to this thread:
  • Using falsified claims and quotes from a biased website, and propagating them as truths because you are too gullible (and dim) to realize they were completely false
  • You claim all beliefs are religion, and then claim the things I believe are not religion.
  • After having no other alternatives with which to refute my claims or support your own, you resort to ad hominem attacks on my religious beliefs, which you don't even know! Let me guess: those beliefs about my religion are really your religion (because they're beliefs!), and it's how Jesus would react to this situation.

Not only are you an uneducated and gullible Christian, but you're bad at following the teachings of Christianity!

You have not supported a claim that the Founders wanted organized religion in government. Not one piece of evidence, period!
Intense, I thought you should reread that.

I do not support the claim that Our Founders wanted Organized Religion In Government!
Hi there. Welcome to The Thread. This thread is debating whether or not the nation (with respect to its government) is Christian or not. You JUST admitted, after pages of trying to show how religious the founding fathers really are, that they did not want organized religion in the government they were founding. Congratulations, you just agreed to our side of the argument.

Jake, Son, I think the Viagra is cutting off circulation to your brain. :lol::lol::lol:
viagra opens blood vessels - it doesn't cut them off. It's like... you have an unnatural talent to just spew forth all the concepts you don't understand, and consistently come out with the wrong answer. You'd think blind luck would have gotten you at least one right answer by now...

Last edited:
Anno Domini - Latin for The Year Of Our Lord

excellent! so the literal translation of "1787 AD" is "in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven" - the EXACT phrase used to date the constitution. It has nothing to do with religion, just dating terms.

It is one more thing that showed that they were not afraid of religion in politics rather they were afraid of politics in religion.

Forum List

Back