and they call it democracy

and they call it democracy

see the loaded eyes of the children too

trying to make the best of it the way kids do

one day you're going to rise from your habitual feast

to find yourself staring down the throat of the beast

they call the revolution

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCv2MHijyzE[/ame]

If we're a republic, then why the fuck do idiots like Bush Jr. keep calling us a democracy, as well as keep telling others that we export democracy?

Do you really need someone else to tell you that bush was a fool who could barely speak English?

That's what they want you to think.

And even if Bush is as dumb as he seems, it was Cheney doing all the evil shit.

And the GOP provided cover for him.

And just look at GW's agenda. He got everything he wanted. THEY got everything they wanted. Jobs going overseas, check, tax breaks for the rich, check, deregulations, check, and in the end he fucked us for $750 billion. And people don't even blame him. Mad genious.

They privatized the profits and socialized the losses.

And all his oil and defense buddies got rich

What more could he ask for? Oh yea, his legacy. Fuck his legacy.

This is not a Christian nation. The words 'god' and 'Christ' never appear in the Declaration of Independence or the Constitution. Myth believing right wingers always latch onto the word 'Creator' as some proof that this is a Christian nation, never understanding it seems, that the word's definition is open to the reader. I know who I was created by, my parents and I have the DNA to prove it. Who were you created by?

If the Framers had wanted to, they could easily incorporated the Ten Commandmants into the Constitution. They did not. They left out all references to the divine because they were men of the Enlightenment and this government they were creating was to be based in reason not myth.

Those who want to turn this into a Christian nation are working against the intended purpose of the Constitution which was to create a new morality based on reason which can work for all people regardless of which if any religion they believe.

Interestingly enough, this country really wasn't founded on Christian principles like everyone believes either......it was founded on the beliefs of fanatical Christians who were called Puritans.

Personally? I don't think that religion has any place in the government of this country, as we include too many different people of too many different faiths, so, we should just leave religion out of the government.

Because think about it......if we are a "Christian" nation, what happens to all the Buddhists, Taoists, Hindus, muslims, and Jewish people? Do we then subjugate them to second class citizens like the blacks of the early history of this nation?

Interestingly enough, this country really wasn't founded on Christian principles like everyone believes either......it was founded on the beliefs of fanatical Christians who were called Puritans.

Personally? I don't think that religion has any place in the government of this country, as we include too many different people of too many different faiths, so, we should just leave religion out of the government.

Because think about it......if we are a "Christian" nation, what happens to all the Buddhists, Taoists, Hindus, muslims, and Jewish people? Do we then subjugate them to second class citizens like the blacks of the early history of this nation?

Actually the Puritans were over a hundred years before the Constitution was written. Their influence had wained and the period of the Enlightenment was the motivating force in the creation of the Country.

Subjugating all others than Christians is exactly what the 'Christian nation believers' want to do. Thay want to use the power of the government to make everyone live according to their understanding of the Bible.

This is not a Christian nation. The words 'god' and 'Christ' never appear in the Declaration of Independence or the Constitution. Myth believing right wingers always latch onto the word 'Creator' as some proof that this is a Christian nation, never understanding it seems, that the word's definition is open to the reader. I know who I was created by, my parents and I have the DNA to prove it. Who were you created by?

If the Framers had wanted to, they could easily incorporated the Ten Commandmants into the Constitution. They did not. They left out all references to the divine because they were men of the Enlightenment and this government they were creating was to be based in reason not myth.

Those who want to turn this into a Christian nation are working against the intended purpose of the Constitution which was to create a new morality based on reason which can work for all people regardless of which if any religion they believe.

Have you heard about this national day of prayer? Us liberals are hoping that Obama ends the tradition.

Not that we aren't religous people, but it has no business in the White House.

It is inapproproate. Athiests, jews, chrstians, muslims, etc. all voted, and it is not appropriate that Obama recognizes this Eisenhower bullshit during work hours. Obama has a job to do. All the other shit he can do on his own time.

And if he does honor the day, invite all faiths. Athiests too.

Well you obviously have something in common with the president then.

Although I don't think you've made the presidency, yet.

Personally, being an agnostic, I would do away with all symbols of religion in government, since the Constitution makes it clear that we have a secular governement.

I don't think Obama will go there. The GOP would love to lable him 'godless' and he is too smart for that.

How is dis-allowing all religious imagery any different than oppression?

If the power of the government was used to dis-allow religious imagery on private property there would be no difference.

Of course no one is talking about that. What we're talking about is using the power of the government to advance a segament of the population's religious beliefs, for instance, enscribing our money with the phrase "in god we trust", in effect making all people 'endorse' this idea.

How would you like it if our money bore the phrase "there is no god"?

Maybe we should just agree to use money for monetary transactions and not for propaganda.

You're talking about requiring people to hide their religion, or risk being unable to succeed. That's oppression. Which is exactly what separation of church and state was developed to prevent.

You're talking about requiring people to hide their religion, or risk being unable to succeed. That's oppression. Which is exactly what separation of church and state was developed to prevent.

Exactly how have I "talked about people hiding their religion"?

People are free to believe any religion they wish but the Constitution prevents the state from endorsing any religion. Clearly printing religious propaganda on our money is an endorsement of religion.

Again, how would individuals be required to hide their religion?

If no religious imagery is allowed in government, you're suppressing those of faith who choose to acknowledge their faith openly. Also known as "oppression".

If no religious imagery is allowed in government, you're suppressing those of faith who choose to acknowledge their faith openly. Also known as "oppression".

No person employed by the government is prevented from talking or writing about their faith. Nor are they prevented from saying that their proposed legislation is inspired by their religion. They may not however use the power of the state to advance their religion. Forcing their religion on the general public is oppression.

It has been a while but I see that you are still as unreasonable as ever. I’ll try to make this simple for you. Imagine that all government things (buildings, currency, etc.) had reference to God/Christianity removed. Does that mean that I am prohibited from mentioning God to someone that I might see walking down the sidewalk? No. Does that mean that people would be prohibited from inviting people to attend their church? No. Talk, discussion, and even prayer would continue – in the private sector. If you want to participate in such activity, you would be free to do so. You would still be allowed to acknoledge your faith openly - on your own dime (so to speak). Government would not be repressing you.

Forum List

Back