The Truth of the Civil Rights Struggle

I live in Phoenix, Arizona and I take a civil rights expert's word on Barry Goldwater.

"Abstract
Dr. King issued this statement regarding the "unfortunate and disastrous" Republican Party's nomination of Senator Barry Goldwater for the Presidency of the United States. The Reverend expounds on his disapproval of the nomination by stating that he represents an unrealistic conservation that is totally out of touch with the realities of the twentieth century."

MLK on the Republican Nomination of Barry Goldwater | The Martin Luther King Jr. Center for Nonviolent Social Change

"Democrats today castigate Republican Senator Barry Goldwater as anti-black. However a review of Senator Barry Goldwater’s record shows that he was a Libertarian, not a racist. Goldwater was a member of the Arizona NAACP and was involved in desegregating the Arizona National Guard.

Goldwater also supported the Civil Rights Act of 1957 and the Civil Rights Act of 1960, as well as the constitutional amendment banning the poll tax. His opposition to the more comprehensive Civil Rights Act of 1964 was based on his libertarian views about government. Goldwater believed that the 1964 Act, as written, unconstitutionally extended the federal government's commerce power to private citizens, furthering the government’s efforts to "legislate morality" and restrict the rights of employers.

It is instructive to read the entire text of Goldwater's 1964 speech at the 28th Republican National Convention, accepting the nomination for president that is available from the Arizona Historical Foundation. By the end of his career, Goldwater was one of the most respected members of either party and was considered a stabilizing influence in the Senate. Senator Goldwater's speech may be found also on the Internet at: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/daily/may98/goldwaterspeech.htm"
Frequently Asked Questions | National Black Republican Association tin_Luther_King__Jr.

So...because your expert says one thing, you plan to ignore the reality of above?

OK.

"On the urgent issue of civil rights, represents a philosophy that is morally indefensible and politically and socially suicidal. While not a racist himself, Mr. Goldwater articulates a philosophy which gives aid and comfort to the racists. His candidacy and philosophy will serve as an umbrella under which extremists of all stripes will stand. In light of these facts and because of my love for America, I have no alternative but to urge every Negro and every white person of good will to vote against Mr. Goldwater and to withdraw support from any Republican candidate that does not publicly disassociate himself from Senator Goldwater and his philosophy."

MLK on the Republican Nomination of Barry Goldwater | The Martin Luther King Jr. Center for Nonviolent Social Change

Yes, let us talk about ignoring reality.

1. The reality in question was Goldwater's record of support for civil rights. You haven't denied same.....

2. Writer that you quote- yes, Faulty, I know who it was- wrote that voting for Goldwater was "socially suicidal."

That turned out to be incorrect.

Here is one aspect of the disaster of voting for the racist LBJ:

1966 LBJ expanded the Aid to Families with Dependent Children program…under FDR, AFDC had been limited to widows, those who had lost their husbands and now lacked a breadwinner at home to help support the children.

Then began to loosen and expand the rules of AFDC eligibility, eventually getting to the point where any woman living alone with children could take advantage of this program. In doing so, they not only bought a large number of new votes, they also incentivized out of wedlock births and single motherhood.

As Charles Murray described in “Losing Ground,” the Great Society incentivized the same negative behaviors that cause poverty in the first place.
Millions of women discovered that they could be better off financially by not marrying.

The only ones who benefited, long term, were the Democrats.
Judging by both LBJ's earlier record of racism, and the results of his program, above, I'm certain that you see my point.

Had Democrats been relegated to the ash heap of political history, there would not be huge numbers of blacks in situations less than enviable.

Look closely at film footage of Martin Luther King’s campaigns, and note impeccably dressed audiences in sober business clothes: middle class gatherings of married parents and intact families. Destroyed by malignant reformers.
Coulter.

Well…. P.C is kicking some ass here, she doesn't need my help. I noticed all the clueless libs can come up with here is” Barry Goldwater” not much substance there. The main point here is the Republican party since its founding has supported civil rights for all people, the democrat party has always been the party of subjugation. True conservatives are for the liberty of all people. The Democrat party should just admit their horrible past and the terrible record on civil rights. The right for individuals to live free has never been part of their failed ideology.

I started the Barry Goldwater meme. And MLK Jr explains the Goldwater issue, nicely. I f you read my previous post, yet still made this post, then you are truly clueless.

Or you can argue that you know the civil rights climate of 1964 better than MLK Jr did, in 1964.:eusa_whistle:

Well…. P.C is kicking some ass here, she doesn't need my help. I noticed all the clueless libs can come up with here is” Barry Goldwater” not much substance there. The main point here is the Republican party since its founding has supported civil rights for all people, the democrat party has always been the party of subjugation. True conservatives are for the liberty of all people. The Democrat party should just admit their horrible past and the terrible record on civil rights. The right for individuals to live free has never been part of their failed ideology.

I started the Barry Goldwater meme. And MLK Jr explains the Goldwater issue, nicely. I f you read my previous post, yet still made this post, then you are truly clueless.

Or you can argue that you know the civil rights climate of 1964 better than MLK Jr did, in 1964.:eusa_whistle:

Wrong analysis, Faulty.

King was predicting the future.

I'm merely highlighting what actually happened.

He had to guess; we can see.

Last edited:

Wrong analysis, Faulty.

Liberals are blind

Salt Jones is trashing PoliticalChic here. I leave this thread in his capable, libertarian-destroying logic.

"Democrats today castigate Republican Senator Barry Goldwater as anti-black. However a review of Senator Barry Goldwater’s record shows that he was a Libertarian, not a racist. Goldwater was a member of the Arizona NAACP and was involved in desegregating the Arizona National Guard.

Goldwater also supported the Civil Rights Act of 1957 and the Civil Rights Act of 1960, as well as the constitutional amendment banning the poll tax. His opposition to the more comprehensive Civil Rights Act of 1964 was based on his libertarian views about government. Goldwater believed that the 1964 Act, as written, unconstitutionally extended the federal government's commerce power to private citizens, furthering the government’s efforts to "legislate morality" and restrict the rights of employers.

It is instructive to read the entire text of Goldwater's 1964 speech at the 28th Republican National Convention, accepting the nomination for president that is available from the Arizona Historical Foundation. By the end of his career, Goldwater was one of the most respected members of either party and was considered a stabilizing influence in the Senate. Senator Goldwater's speech may be found also on the Internet at: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/daily/may98/goldwaterspeech.htm"
Frequently Asked Questions | National Black Republican Association tin_Luther_King__Jr.

So...because your expert says one thing, you plan to ignore the reality of above?

OK.

"On the urgent issue of civil rights, represents a philosophy that is morally indefensible and politically and socially suicidal. While not a racist himself, Mr. Goldwater articulates a philosophy which gives aid and comfort to the racists. His candidacy and philosophy will serve as an umbrella under which extremists of all stripes will stand. In light of these facts and because of my love for America, I have no alternative but to urge every Negro and every white person of good will to vote against Mr. Goldwater and to withdraw support from any Republican candidate that does not publicly disassociate himself from Senator Goldwater and his philosophy."

1. The reality in question was Goldwater's record of support for civil rights. You haven't denied same.....

2. Writer that you quote- yes, Faulty, I know who it was- wrote that voting for Goldwater was "socially suicidal."

1966 LBJ expanded the Aid to Families with Dependent Children program…under FDR, AFDC had been limited to widows, those who had lost their husbands and now lacked a breadwinner at home to help support the children.

Then began to loosen and expand the rules of AFDC eligibility, eventually getting to the point where any woman living alone with children could take advantage of this program. In doing so, they not only bought a large number of new votes, they also incentivized out of wedlock births and single motherhood.

As Charles Murray described in “Losing Ground,” the Great Society incentivized the same negative behaviors that cause poverty in the first place.
Millions of women discovered that they could be better off financially by not marrying.

Judging by both LBJ's earlier record of racism, and the results of his program, above, I'm certain that you see my point.

Had Democrats been relegated to the ash heap of political history, there would not be huge numbers of blacks in situations less than enviable.

Look closely at film footage of Martin Luther King’s campaigns, and note impeccably dressed audiences in sober business clothes: middle class gatherings of married parents and intact families. Destroyed by malignant reformers.
Coulter.

You and Coulter are both wrong and that's why she will stick to fox news and the view. Why doesn't she take her debate to some of the professors of African American studies?

I'm sure she can best these men and women of a false academic discipline.

Wrong analysis, Faulty.

So your argument is: black Americans of pre-1964 were better off than black Americans of post-1964?

Wrong analysis, Faulty.

So your argument is: black Americans of pre-1964 were better off than black Americans of post-1964?

No argument is necessary if you can read.

1. “…national data covering decennial years from 1890 to 1920 show that blacks out-married whites despite a consistent shortage of black males due to their higher rates of mortality.” http://www.irp.wisc.edu/publications/focus/pdfs/foc121e.pdf

a. This lasted through 1950- until liberals decided that it would be a great idea to subsidize illegitimacy.

b. “…Aid to Families with Dependent Children (AFDC), didn’t begin under Johnson. It started under President Franklin D. Roosevelt’s "New Deal" in the 1930s, which authorized the program to make payment to widows with children. Since then, AFDC has been expanded to cover all unmarried parents with children.” Bestselling author Michael Fumento investigates: "Is the Great Society to Blame? If Not, Why Have Problems Worsened Since ’60s?"
Out-of-wedlock-births among blacks skyrocketed.

c. The biggest drop in black poverty took place during the two decades before the Great Society. Thomas Sowell, “Civil Rights: Rhetoric or Reality?” p. 84.

One would have to be either blind or a Liberal not to see the deleterious effect of "The Great Society" on the black family.

I believe the truth.

Since you have been able to do no more that your usual bloviation, i.e.. unable to find a single error in the OP....

...you know it is the truth, as well.

And....I, for one, see no problem in someone becoming rich.
I believe that what I said is the truth. I did not say tha there is anything wrong with getting rich, especially if it achieved by pandering to boring wannabe intellectuals such as yourself.

"...boring wannabe intellectuals..."

But...really....which am I closer to, boring, or wannabe-intellectual?

I need your opinion, and hang on your every word.
...as do so very many others.

Sometimes I think it's Ms. Truthie....but I know it's really you!
No, wait....it's Forrest Gump!

You are trying so hard, but failing.

Go make some numbered lists and quit boring us.

Conservatives can keep analyzing, searching, translating, quoting, posting, but for all their efforts and intellectual conclusions, minorities keep voting Democratic.

Conservatives can keep analyzing, searching, translating, quoting, posting, but for all their efforts and intellectual conclusions, minorities keep voting Democratic.

I'm searching for truth, reggie....not votes.

Surely you understand the difference.

And, based on the lack of any rebuttal or counter from you fellows.....I have found the truth.

Don't you agree?

The fact is simple. Barry Goldwater was playing politics, when he supported the Civil Rights legislation in 1957 and 1960 then voted against the Civil Rights Act in 1964.

To help the far right out, LBJ did not help it during the 1950s either, because he knew (1) it could not pass, (2) his enemies in the South would use it against him if they could, and (3) he was committed to pass it when the time that it could be passed.

LBJ got it passed in 1964, without Barry Goldwater. LBJ got the Voting Rights Act passed in 1965.

LBJ also got the GOP online with the legislation so that the issue became geographical more than it did party. Good for LBJ. Good for the Dems and the Pubs that voted in favor.

What has happened to my glorious GOP after Nixon, on civil rights? Not a good record at all.

Ahem ...
"I’ve often said that if I hadn’t known Barry Goldwater in 1964 and I had to depend on the press and the cartoons, I’d have voted against the son of a bitch."--Barry Goldwater

"I say further that for this great legislative body to ignore the Constitution and the fundamental concepts of our governmental system is to act in a manner which could ultimately destroy the freedom of all American citizens, including the freedoms of the very persons whose feelings and whose liberties are the major subject of this legislation (Civil Rights Act of 1964)."--Barry Goldwater

"…this bill (Civil Rights Act of 1964) will require the creation of a Federal police force of mammoth proportions. It also bids fair to result in the development of an ‘informer’ psychology in great areas of our national life—neighbors spying on neighbors, workers spying on workers, business spying on businessmen—were those who would harass their fellow citizens for selfish and narrow purposes will have ample inducement to do so. These, the Federal police force an ‘informer’ psychology, are the hallmarks of the police state and landmarks in the destruction of a free society."--Barry Goldwater

"The two portions of this bill (Civil Rights Act of 1964) to which I have constantly and consistently voiced objections, and which are of such overriding significance that they are determinative of my vote on the entire measure, are those which would embark the Federal Government on a regulatory course of action with regard to private enterprise in the area of so-called public accommodations and in the area of employment—to be more specific, titles II and VII of the bill. I find no constitutional basis for the exercise of Federal regulatory authority in either of these areas; and I believe the attempted usurpation of such power to be a grave threat to the very essence of our basic system of government; namely, that of a constitutional republic in which 50 sovereign States have reserved to themselves and to the people those powers not specifically granted to the Central or Federal Government."--Barry Goldwater

"Government governs best when it governs least - and stays out of the impossible task of legislating morality. But legislating someone's version of morality is exactly what we do by perpetuating discrimination against gays."--Barry Goldwater

"Absolute power does corrupt, and those who seek it must be suspect and must be opposed. Their mistaken course stems from false notions of equality, ladies and gentlemen. Equality, rightly understood, as our founding fathers understood it, leads to liberty and to the emancipation of creative differences. Wrongly understood, as it has been so tragically in our time, it leads first to conformity and then to despotism."--Barry Goldwater

"We see in the sanctity of private property the only durable foundation for constitutional government in a free society. And beyond that, we see, in cherished diversity of ways, diversity of thoughts, of motives and accomplishments. We do not seek to lead anyone's life for him - we seek only to secure his rights and to guarantee him opportunity to strive, with government performing only those needed and constitutionally sanctioned tasks which cannot otherwise be performed."--Barry Goldwater

"The beauty of the very system we Republicans are pledged to restore and revitalize, the beauty of this Federal system of ours is in its reconciliation of diversity with unity. We must not see malice in honest differences of opinion, and no matter how great, so long as they are not inconsistent with the pledges we have given to each other in and through our Constitution. Our Republican cause is not to level out the world or make its people conform in computer regimented sameness. Our Republican cause is to free our people and light the way for liberty throughout the world."--Barry Goldwater

"Where is the politician who has not promised to fight to the death for lower taxes- and who has not proceeded to vote for the very spending projects that make tax cuts impossible?"--Barry Goldwater

"Having spent 37 years of my life in the military as a reservist, and never having met a gay in all of that time, and never having even talked about it in all those years, I just thought, why the hell shouldn't they serve? They're American citizens."--Barry Goldwater

"They think I've turned liberal because I believe a woman has a right to an abortion. That's a decision that's up to the pregnant woman, not up to the pope or some do-gooders or the religious right. It's not a conservative issue at all."--Barry Goldwater

"When you say "radical right" today, I think of these moneymaking ventures by fellows like Pat Robertson and others who are trying to take the Republican party and make a religious organization out of it. If that ever happens, kiss politics goodbye."--Barry Goldwater

"Religious factions will go on imposing their will on others unless the decent people connected to them recognize that religion has no place in public policy. They must learn to make their views known without trying to make their views the only alternatives."--Barry Goldwater

The fact is simple. Barry Goldwater was playing politics, when he supported the Civil Rights legislation in 1957 and 1960 then voted against the Civil Rights Act in 1964.

To help the far right out, LBJ did not help it during the 1950s either, because he knew (1) it could not pass, (2) his enemies in the South would use it against him if they could, and (3) he was committed to pass it when the time that it could be passed.

LBJ got it passed in 1964, without Barry Goldwater. LBJ got the Voting Rights Act passed in 1965.

LBJ also got the GOP online with the legislation so that the issue became geographical more than it did party. Good for LBJ. Good for the Dems and the Pubs that voted in favor.

What has happened to my glorious GOP after Nixon, on civil rights? Not a good record at all.

Ahem ...
"I’ve often said that if I hadn’t known Barry Goldwater in 1964 and I had to depend on the press and the cartoons, I’d have voted against the son of a bitch."--Barry Goldwater

"I say further that for this great legislative body to ignore the Constitution and the fundamental concepts of our governmental system is to act in a manner which could ultimately destroy the freedom of all American citizens, including the freedoms of the very persons whose feelings and whose liberties are the major subject of this legislation (Civil Rights Act of 1964)."--Barry Goldwater

"…this bill (Civil Rights Act of 1964) will require the creation of a Federal police force of mammoth proportions. It also bids fair to result in the development of an ‘informer’ psychology in great areas of our national life—neighbors spying on neighbors, workers spying on workers, business spying on businessmen—were those who would harass their fellow citizens for selfish and narrow purposes will have ample inducement to do so. These, the Federal police force an ‘informer’ psychology, are the hallmarks of the police state and landmarks in the destruction of a free society."--Barry Goldwater

"The two portions of this bill (Civil Rights Act of 1964) to which I have constantly and consistently voiced objections, and which are of such overriding significance that they are determinative of my vote on the entire measure, are those which would embark the Federal Government on a regulatory course of action with regard to private enterprise in the area of so-called public accommodations and in the area of employment—to be more specific, titles II and VII of the bill. I find no constitutional basis for the exercise of Federal regulatory authority in either of these areas; and I believe the attempted usurpation of such power to be a grave threat to the very essence of our basic system of government; namely, that of a constitutional republic in which 50 sovereign States have reserved to themselves and to the people those powers not specifically granted to the Central or Federal Government."--Barry Goldwater

"Government governs best when it governs least - and stays out of the impossible task of legislating morality. But legislating someone's version of morality is exactly what we do by perpetuating discrimination against gays."--Barry Goldwater

"Absolute power does corrupt, and those who seek it must be suspect and must be opposed. Their mistaken course stems from false notions of equality, ladies and gentlemen. Equality, rightly understood, as our founding fathers understood it, leads to liberty and to the emancipation of creative differences. Wrongly understood, as it has been so tragically in our time, it leads first to conformity and then to despotism."--Barry Goldwater

"We see in the sanctity of private property the only durable foundation for constitutional government in a free society. And beyond that, we see, in cherished diversity of ways, diversity of thoughts, of motives and accomplishments. We do not seek to lead anyone's life for him - we seek only to secure his rights and to guarantee him opportunity to strive, with government performing only those needed and constitutionally sanctioned tasks which cannot otherwise be performed."--Barry Goldwater

"The beauty of the very system we Republicans are pledged to restore and revitalize, the beauty of this Federal system of ours is in its reconciliation of diversity with unity. We must not see malice in honest differences of opinion, and no matter how great, so long as they are not inconsistent with the pledges we have given to each other in and through our Constitution. Our Republican cause is not to level out the world or make its people conform in computer regimented sameness. Our Republican cause is to free our people and light the way for liberty throughout the world."--Barry Goldwater

"Where is the politician who has not promised to fight to the death for lower taxes- and who has not proceeded to vote for the very spending projects that make tax cuts impossible?"--Barry Goldwater

"Having spent 37 years of my life in the military as a reservist, and never having met a gay in all of that time, and never having even talked about it in all those years, I just thought, why the hell shouldn't they serve? They're American citizens."--Barry Goldwater

"They think I've turned liberal because I believe a woman has a right to an abortion. That's a decision that's up to the pregnant woman, not up to the pope or some do-gooders or the religious right. It's not a conservative issue at all."--Barry Goldwater

"When you say "radical right" today, I think of these moneymaking ventures by fellows like Pat Robertson and others who are trying to take the Republican party and make a religious organization out of it. If that ever happens, kiss politics goodbye."--Barry Goldwater

"Religious factions will go on imposing their will on others unless the decent people connected to them recognize that religion has no place in public policy. They must learn to make their views known without trying to make their views the only alternatives."--Barry Goldwater

You'll have to excuse Jake, he didn't learn that at "the U"

Coulter.

You and Coulter are both wrong and that's why she will stick to fox news and the view. Why doesn't she take her debate to some of the professors of African American studies?

I'm sure she can best these men and women of a false academic discipline.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JbrL7G1Cvc]Bishop E.W. Jackson Message to Black Christians. DON'T BE SLAVE TO DEMOCRATS - YouTube[/ame]

Forum List

Back