The True Black Tragedy: Illegitimacy Rate of Nearly 75% (and it's the fault of the left)

The left will reject this, as they tend to do with the truth. It's the left's own policies throughout the years that have caused the hardships suffered by many blacks. Of course, the left never admits to their own mistakes or acknowledges the horrible consequences of their feel-good programs. They always blame others when they fail miserably. Did they simply fail in their attempt at compassion or did the leaders who introduced the welfare system know that they were keeping blacks down? The left has always sought to make their potential voters feel like victims and make their opposition look like the villains. It's just the opposite.

"Hustlers and people with little understanding want us to believe that today's black problems are the continuing result of a legacy of slavery, poverty and racial discrimination. The fact is that most of the social pathology seen in poor black neighborhoods is entirely new in black history. Let's look at some of it.

Today the overwhelming majority of black children are raised in single female-headed families. As early as the 1880s, three-quarters of black families were two-parent. In 1925 New York City, 85 percent of black families were two-parent. One study of 19th-century slave families found that in up to three-fourths of the families, all the children had the same mother and father.

Today's black illegitimacy rate of nearly 75 percent is also entirely new. In 1940, black illegitimacy stood at 14 percent. It had risen to 25 percent by 1965, when Daniel Patrick Moynihan wrote "The Negro Family: The Case for National Action" and was widely condemned as a racist. By 1980, the black illegitimacy rate had more than doubled, to 56 percent, and it has been growing since. Both during slavery and as late as 1920, a teenage girl raising a child without a man present was rare among blacks.

Much of today's pathology seen among many blacks is an outgrowth of the welfare state that has made self-destructive behavior less costly for the individual. Having children without the benefit of marriage is less burdensome if the mother receives housing subsidies, welfare payments and food stamps. Plus, the social stigma associated with unwed motherhood has vanished. Female-headed households, whether black or white, are a ticket for dependency and all of its associated problems. Ignored in all discussions is the fact that the poverty rate among black married couples has been in single digits since 1994.

Black youth unemployment in some cities is over 50 percent. But high black youth unemployment is also new. In 1948, the unemployment rate for black teens was slightly less than that of their white counterparts — 9.4 percent compared with 10.2.

During that same period, black youths were either just as active in the labor force or more so than white youths. Since the 1960s, both the labor force participation rate and the employment rate of black youths have fallen to what they are today. Why? Are employers more racially discriminatory today than yesteryear? Were black youths of yesteryear more skilled than whites of yesteryear? The answer to both questions is a big fat no.

The minimum wage law and other labor regulations have cut off the bottom rungs of the economic ladder. Put yourself in the place of an employer, and ask: If I must pay $7.25 an hour — plus mandated fringes, such as Social Security and workers' compensation — would it pay me to hire a worker who is so unfortunate as to possess skills that enable him to produce only $5 worth of value per hour? Most employers view that as a losing economic proposition. Thus, the minimum wage law discriminates against the employment of low-skilled workers, who are most often youths — particularly black youths."

Read more:
The True Black Tragedy: Illegitimacy Rate of Nearly 75%

A littl
The left will reject this, as they tend to do with the truth. It's the left's own policies throughout the years that have caused the hardships suffered by many blacks. Of course, the left never admits to their own mistakes or acknowledges the horrible consequences of their feel-good programs. They always blame others when they fail miserably. Did they simply fail in their attempt at compassion or did the leaders who introduced the welfare system know that they were keeping blacks down? The left has always sought to make their potential voters feel like victims and make their opposition look like the villains. It's just the opposite.

"Hustlers and people with little understanding want us to believe that today's black problems are the continuing result of a legacy of slavery, poverty and racial discrimination. The fact is that most of the social pathology seen in poor black neighborhoods is entirely new in black history. Let's look at some of it.

Today the overwhelming majority of black children are raised in single female-headed families. As early as the 1880s, three-quarters of black families were two-parent. In 1925 New York City, 85 percent of black families were two-parent. One study of 19th-century slave families found that in up to three-fourths of the families, all the children had the same mother and father.

Today's black illegitimacy rate of nearly 75 percent is also entirely new. In 1940, black illegitimacy stood at 14 percent. It had risen to 25 percent by 1965, when Daniel Patrick Moynihan wrote "The Negro Family: The Case for National Action" and was widely condemned as a racist. By 1980, the black illegitimacy rate had more than doubled, to 56 percent, and it has been growing since. Both during slavery and as late as 1920, a teenage girl raising a child without a man present was rare among blacks.

Much of today's pathology seen among many blacks is an outgrowth of the welfare state that has made self-destructive behavior less costly for the individual. Having children without the benefit of marriage is less burdensome if the mother receives housing subsidies, welfare payments and food stamps. Plus, the social stigma associated with unwed motherhood has vanished. Female-headed households, whether black or white, are a ticket for dependency and all of its associated problems. Ignored in all discussions is the fact that the poverty rate among black married couples has been in single digits since 1994.

Black youth unemployment in some cities is over 50 percent. But high black youth unemployment is also new. In 1948, the unemployment rate for black teens was slightly less than that of their white counterparts — 9.4 percent compared with 10.2.

During that same period, black youths were either just as active in the labor force or more so than white youths. Since the 1960s, both the labor force participation rate and the employment rate of black youths have fallen to what they are today. Why? Are employers more racially discriminatory today than yesteryear? Were black youths of yesteryear more skilled than whites of yesteryear? The answer to both questions is a big fat no.

The minimum wage law and other labor regulations have cut off the bottom rungs of the economic ladder. Put yourself in the place of an employer, and ask: If I must pay $7.25 an hour — plus mandated fringes, such as Social Security and workers' compensation — would it pay me to hire a worker who is so unfortunate as to possess skills that enable him to produce only $5 worth of value per hour? Most employers view that as a losing economic proposition. Thus, the minimum wage law discriminates against the employment of low-skilled workers, who are most often youths — particularly black youths."

Read more:
The True Black Tragedy: Illegitimacy Rate of Nearly 75%

Clementine - Here is a few tiny bits of information conveniently missing from your colorful post:

* A major policy of the left wing, additional funding for schools in impoverished neighborhoods, has been consistently blocked by the right wing, giving blacks an automatic disadvantage.

* Racism and bigotry in hiring has had at least some impact on the ability of blacks to get a job.

* Offshoring of the bulk of our manufacturing base to China and India has eliminated many blue collar entry level jobs that were available to previous generations, both black and white.

* ...and please listen to this one!: Over 75% of welfare recipients work, and why? Because wages have not kept pace with the cost of living, this is a little gift from the right wing, who's ties with the Fortune 500 has been instrumental in keeping the Federal minimum wage appallingly low.

So, little Clementine, if you want to tell a story of why so many blacks remain in poverty, then tell the whole story....not just the parts of it you want people to see!
:bye1:

Your excuses don't apply when you look at the way this has progressed over the years. It directly goes along with liberal policies designed to encourage dependency.

None of your points address the fact that despite being a minority, blacks are more likely to be less educated, have children out of wedlock and more apt to break the law. Which side has the majority been trusting over that last 5 decades? It's Dem who have influenced their way of thinking.

Many areas have had more money spent on education but has yielded no results. More money often means filling the coffers of teachers unions instead of helping students. Also, the reason the schools are not as well funded to start with is because there are less tax payers in some areas and less parental involvement in schools. Money does not equal education. Teachers and parents working together is what helps a child learn.

Higher minimum wage generally means less available starter jobs. It's the left that killed middle class jobs that paid well. It's the left that removed the rungs of the ladder that allowed people to go from starter jobs to better paying jobs. Just a high school diploma matters, too, when it comes to getting a job. When students quit school to start having babies, things will generally not improve for them.

Last edited:
Yes and the War on Drugs combined with minimum sentencing which resulted in an ten fold increase in the number of blacks in federal penitentiaries had nothing to do with it.

Just another biased alt right source.
When a woman has five children by five different men, that has nothing to do with the war on drugs.

* A major policy of the left wing, additional funding for schools in impoverished neighborhoods, has been consistently blocked by the right wing, giving blacks an automatic disadvantage.

* Racism and bigotry in hiring has had at least some impact on the ability of blacks to get a job.

* Offshoring of the bulk of our manufacturing base to China and India has eliminated many blue collar entry level jobs that were available to previous generations, both black and white.

* ...and please listen to this one!: Over 75% of welfare recipients work, and why? Because wages have not kept pace with the cost of living, this is a little gift from the right wing, who's ties with the Fortune 500 has been instrumental in keeping the Federal minimum wage appallingly low.

So, little Clementine, if you want to tell a story of why so many blacks remain in poverty, then tell the whole story....not just the parts of it you want people to see!

I might suggest you do the same:

When I look for new tenants, I use CraigsList because I've had the most success with it. Some of the emails I get are appalling. I can't figure out what they are trying to say or ask. Spelling so bad I can't make out the words they were trying to use. Punctuation that makes reading their emails a jigsaw puzzle.

In most cases I just delete them. I don't want somebody that stupid renting an apartment from me. But during the housing bubble when tenants were hard to find, I had to interview some of them.

What I found is that these nearly illiterate black people had high school diplomas. If I won't respond to them for an apartment, HTF do these people get a job filing out job applications that way? So don't be so quick to blame employers for not hiring blacks. It's not the color of their skin that makes them discriminatory in their hiring. After all, the most favorite color an employer has is green.

Yes, offshoring did get rid of a lot of jobs. There is little anybody can do about that. But I notice you people on the left have no problem with bringing in immigrants to work for less money than Americans for the remaining jobs we have. That lowers wages for all of us white and black.

As for money and schools, the US spends more per capita than any other industrialized country in the world for education. Money is not the problem--parent(s) are the problem in the black community. As for making more money, that's up to the individual--not the government. If you don't make enough money, get the training or enter a career where you can earn the money you need to live comfortably. But if you are going to start from the point of having a child or several children that you can't afford to support, then training is off the table. Don't have kids until you have secure employment that pays enough for you to have a family, and that's something a lot of black people don't do. Raising minimum wage won't help with that problem either.

Yes and the War on Drugs combined with minimum sentencing which resulted in an ten fold increase in the number of blacks in federal penitentiaries had nothing to do with it.

Just another biased alt right source.

So don't blame the criminals, blame an organized and civil society?

Did you ever hear of a book written by a successful excuse maker? How about a movie? Of course not, because excuse makers are generally failures in life. There is no such thing as a successful excuse maker. Now if we can agree on that, don't you think you're augmenting the problem of the black community by telling them they have excuses for their failures?

If we really want to help the black community, the only thing that has a chance at working is tough love. Tough love promotes personal responsibility. Personal responsibility will take you a lot further in life than excuse making.

Sorry, the blame rests with the individual. Blaming political parties is just another way of avoiding personal responsibility.
So who is to blame if someone doesn't earn enough to pay for health insurance?

The individual.

Then why should the rest of us pay for yours?

I wasn't aware that you're paying for my insurance?

I'm paying for the insurance of all the deadbeats that Obamacare is subsidizing - you know, the ones you claim should take personal responsibility.

Sorry, the blame rests with the individual. Blaming political parties is just another way of avoiding personal responsibility.

The individual.

I wasn't aware that you're paying for my insurance?! How generous of you.

The fact remains someone is paying for others, not yours but yes it's happening

I'm paying for the insurance of all the deadbeats that Obamacare is subsidizing - you know, the ones you claim should take personal responsibility.
Oh, good. I am glad that is cleared up. I thought I was going to have to send you a card or something. lol

The individual.

I wasn't aware that you're paying for my insurance?! How generous of you.

The fact remains someone is paying for others, not yours but yes it's happening

Of course it's happening. Bri must have had me confused with some else when he thought us were paying for my insurance. It would be nice to have that extra money, though. I really want to build a mudroom.

Forum List

Back