~The Titantic~

Dabs

~Unpredictable~
May 13, 2011
~Tennessee~
This year marks the 100 year (anniversary) of the Titantic sinking.......April 15, 1912 it went down.
The new National Geographic Magazine has devoted most of the April issue to the Titantic and some new photos were released, showing the ship resting at the bottom of the ocean.
They have begun bringing up larger portions of the ship.......they have previously brought up smaller items, chairs and dishes, which are on display in some museum.
Don't you think they should just have left the ship alone??
I mean...sure, it would be interesting to see the big portions they bring up....but maybe it should have remained buried in the ocean...so many lost their lives.

Just a slight aside, but I wonder how many of your (not you specifically, Dabs) ancestors travelled to America on White Star Lines (Titanic's owner)? They were, afterall, one of the first trans-Atlantic shipping companies to offer less expensive accomodation for 3rd class passengers.

This year marks the 100 year (anniversary) of the Titantic sinking.......April 15, 1912 it went down.
The new National Geographic Magazine has devoted most of the April issue to the Titantic and some new photos were released, showing the ship resting at the bottom of the ocean.
They have begun bringing up larger portions of the ship.......they have previously brought up smaller items, chairs and dishes, which are on display in some museum.
I mean...sure, it would be interesting to see the big portions they bring up....but maybe it should have remained buried in the ocean...so many lost their lives.

I wish they would leave the wreckage alone rather than turn it into a carnival attraction

Will they see the iceberg in time in 3D?

I do not know ~LoL~

I have seen the movie many times....but I don't plan on going to the theater and watching it in 3D.
They say it's supposed to make you feel "like you were experiencing it"........fuck that!
I don't know how to swim....so I'm thinking when the boat starts to go under and all that water comes crashing down and around.....I would feel a bit panicky!

What's the sense of preserving a 100 year old wreck at the bottom of the ocean? The human remains are long gone.

What's the sense of preserving a 100 year old wreck at the bottom of the ocean? The human remains are long gone.

But I would think some people would look at it like their final resting place, kwim??

I wish they would leave the wreckage alone rather than turn it into a carnival attraction

I agree.

Quite frankly, I'm sick of all the Titanic crap.

No one who was on that tub is still alive so let's put it behind us already.

Does anyone really care about this shit?

Quite frankly, I'm sick of all the Titanic crap.

No one who was on that tub is still alive so let's put it behind us already.

Does anyone really care about this shit?

Well...some of us do.
Not to make it into a carnival attraction mind you, but it is a part of history.....it was a big moment when it sailed and an even bigger one when it sank!
I just find it fascinating.........

Maybe if you were alive it was a big deal but not any more.

We've had many more spectacular disasters since then so why the fascination with something as mundane as a boat sinking?

Maybe if you were alive it was a big deal but not any more.

We've had many more spectacular disasters since then so why the fascination with something as mundane as a boat sinking?

I think the whole Leanardo Dicaprio movie gave it some juice.

Last edited:
maybe if you were alive it was a big deal but not any more.

the think the whole leanardo dicaprio movie gave it some juice.

$stewie puke.gif

Actually I don't have a problem with them bringing up the stuff as long as human remains(if Any) are left down there. It is a big deal because the sinking changed passenger ship regulations and shows a slice of history long past. When you get on a passenger ship today you know and expect that there is a life boat for every passenger and crew member on board. That is because of the Titanic.

All of my ancestors came to America by way of ship. Asking why is it important is like saying why have Ellis Island since nobody comes to the USA through there anymore. The fame of the Titanic makes people interested in seeing how their ancestors traveled to the USA. Some first class but the majority third class which was a much less pleasant expirence. It gives a lessen in bad corporate policy. It shows the class barriers that exsisted at the turn of the century. It gives an example of how a crew on a sinking ship should act and react. With the Costa Concordia's Captain abandoning ship, it's a lesson that still needs to be taught.

I've seen the exhibit and found it not carnival like at all. Actually they give you a name and at the end you look up whether or not you survived. Out of my five familiy members who went through the exhibit only one of the names of the people given us survived. In the end it's about people and lives lost unnecessarily, the exhibit keeps the memory alive. In Example do you remember anything about the Triangle Shirtwaist fire that happened a year before the Titanic sank? Less people died and certainly tragic but I'm guessing most people haven't. The Titanic if left alone will become just a note in a history book. Those who died deserve better than that in my opinion.

The Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire in New York City on March 25, 1911, was the deadliest industrial disaster in the history of the city of New York and resulted in the fourth highest loss of life from an industrial accident in U.S. history. It was also the second deadliest disaster in New York City – after the burning of the General Slocum on June 15, 1904 – until the destruction of the World Trade Center 90 years later. The fire caused the deaths of 146 garment workers, who died from the fire, smoke inhalation, or falling to their deaths. Most of the victims were recent Jewish and Italian immigrant women aged sixteen to twenty-three;[1][2][3] the oldest victim was 48, the youngest were two fourteen-year-old girls.[4]

Because the managers had locked the doors to the stairwells and exits – a common practice at the time to prevent pilferage and unauthorized breaks[5] – many of the workers who could not escape the burning building jumped from the eighth, ninth, and tenth floors to the streets below. The fire led to legislation requiring improved factory safety standards and helped spur the growth of the International Ladies' Garment Workers' Union, which fought for better working conditions for sweatshop workers.

The factory was located in the Asch Building, at 23-29 Washington Place, now known as the Brown Building, which has been designated a National Historic Landmark and a New York City landmark.[6]

Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Archaeologists dig up graves every day. Lately they treat the human remains with respect but that wasn't always the case and artifacts are always carted away and locked in the basement of some museum. Why not raise the Titanic? It's dark down there and nobody but selected scientists are ever going to get to see it. Raise a few artifacts and display them or sell them. Who cares?

The titanic would be impossible to raise since it broke into several pieces most of which no longer exists plus the small problem in that it is 2.5 miles under water.

The titanic would be impossible to raise since it broke into several pieces most of which no longer exists plus the small problem in that it is 2.5 miles under water.

They had a special on NatGeo Channel a couple of nights ago, with Robert Ballard, the guy who first discovered the Titanic.
He says he was elated when he discovered the wreck....and there were some artifacts brought to surface.
But he says now, that he wishes everyone would leave the wreck as it is....leave it be.
Where it's located, it's pretty much open to anyone who wants to dive down and bring up items from the wreck.......it's an unguarded museum.
Robert Ballard says he would like to see the ship preserved as it is now, no one should be able to bring up anymore items......
He also talked to family members of those that died on Titanic......and they all said the same thing......they lost loved ones in that wreck, and that is their final resting place, people need to leave it alone.
So...maybe something will be done, and no one will be able to go down to Titanic anymore.

Forum List

Back