~The Titantic~

I have no problem with people salvaging wrecks. It happens all the time. Yes there are human remains and they should be cared for properly. Over time all of it will degrade into mud anyway. Today when you go to a museum you see archaeological plunder from all over the world. Is there a difference because they were on land and not at the bottom of the sea?

I do have a problem though with all these countries trying to lay claim to treasure that has been salvaged from sunken galleons. These countries never tried to salvage the treasure but when someone does salvage it they want it. Crazy world. They ought to have a law that says that after 100 years a ship is not claimable by the owner. They 100 years to salvage after that anyone can claim it. But of course everybody wants a free ride anymore and wants to reap the rewards of someones hard labor.

The titanic would be impossible to raise since it broke into several pieces most of which no longer exists plus the small problem in that it is 2.5 miles under water.

They had a special on NatGeo Channel a couple of nights ago, with Robert Ballard, the guy who first discovered the Titanic.
He says he was elated when he discovered the wreck....and there were some artifacts brought to surface.
But he says now, that he wishes everyone would leave the wreck as it is....leave it be.
Where it's located, it's pretty much open to anyone who wants to dive down and bring up items from the wreck.......it's an unguarded museum.
Robert Ballard says he would like to see the ship preserved as it is now, no one should be able to bring up anymore items......
He also talked to family members of those that died on Titanic......and they all said the same thing......they lost loved ones in that wreck, and that is their final resting place, people need to leave it alone.
So...maybe something will be done, and no one will be able to go down to Titanic anymore.
I agree, its a mass grave imo and should not be touched, my G Grandfather worked on all 3 Olympic class ships in Belfast and sailed from Belfast to Southampton on her maiden voyage, he got of in Southampton lucky enough.
Ballard never actually discovered the ship but was the first to video the remains, she was first discovered in 1977 by the Royal Navy deep sea research ship HMS Hecate, they began trying to research the wreck in 1980 but due to lack of equipment could not go that deep.

This year marks the 100 year (anniversary) of the Titantic sinking.......April 15, 1912 it went down.
The new National Geographic Magazine has devoted most of the April issue to the Titantic and some new photos were released, showing the ship resting at the bottom of the ocean.
They have begun bringing up larger portions of the ship.......they have previously brought up smaller items, chairs and dishes, which are on display in some museum.
Don't you think they should just have left the ship alone??
I mean...sure, it would be interesting to see the big portions they bring up....but maybe it should have remained buried in the ocean...so many lost their lives.

I wish they would leave the wreckage alone rather than turn it into a carnival attraction

the wreck acording to you that never struck a berg hmmm???

Forum List

Back