The 'Take Care of Me' Society is Wrecking the USA

Yeah......just like those.....

.....huh????

:eusa_whistle:

Clinton/Warren-that would be AWESOME!!!

It would be like having Obama just stay in the oval office.
Something like that......

clint02.jpg

Last edited:
The least among us getting blamed for all that's wrong with this country.

Not very Christian if you ask me.

Gotta love how the left invoke faith when it is convenient to the argument for them. Other than that they scream separation of church and state.

Well hows this one.

The idea you think that engineers, doctors and lawyers such be flipping burgers..is ridiculous.

The least among us getting blamed for all that's wrong with this country.

Not very Christian if you ask me.

Gotta love how the left invoke faith when it is convenient to the argument for them. Other than that they scream separation of church and state.

Well hows this one.

The idea you think that engineers, doctors and lawyers such be flipping burgers..is ridiculous.

Sallow, why do you think it's ridiculous??

I'd rather be flipping burgers than be standing in the line that rations food. If flipping burgers fed my family and put a roof over my head, you're damn straight I'd be flipping burgers. And no, I'm not talking about a 3000 sf house with cable and internet.

Newt Gingrich Says College Students Should Have Jobs, But Did He?

Presidential candidate Newt Gingrich says college students are being coddled, but his own educational record doesn't exactly elicit images of a person who had to struggle to make ends meet while earning a degree.

"Students take fewer classes per semester. They take more years to get through. Why? Because they have free money," Gingrich said in a speech to local Republicans in Florida, according to the Washington Post. "I would tell students: 'Get through as quick as you can. Borrow as little as you can. Have a part-time job.' But that's very different from the culture that has grown up in the last 20 years."

But as the Post notes, Gingrich himself took a different path during college, according to a 1995 Vanity Fair article.

According to the report, Gingrich leaned on family members for money and said he didn't want to get a job while in school.

Gingrich's college experience also included a stint as a history professor at West Georgia College. The Wall Street Journal reports that while working at Georgia College, Gingrich was "often absent as he pursued political goals" and that he "spent little time teaching history."

But perhaps he's just waiting for the right time to exercise his teaching chops: According to Inside Higher Ed, Gingrich previously pledged that, if elected president, he would teach a free online course from the White House.

Newt Gingrich Says College Students Should Have Jobs, But Did He?)

Ha. What a fatass pig moocher..
To be fair to Newt, those college deferments helped keep him from going to Vietnam.

I'm lucky to be old enough to have gotten a decent job when they still existed. So we have a nation of people who want "something for nothing"? When there is "nothing" to get, how can you want for something?

You should be thankful that you didn't graduate from high school (and college?) during a global economy.

Yah, there are some spoiled brats out there, but kids these days do NOT have the same opportunities we had. And anyone who believes that they do have the same opportunities, is sniffing glue; and is out of touch with reality.

I think it depends on what line of business you are in and how much you're willing to apply yourself. I'm in IT and we are always looking for entry level programmers to work with our senior developers.

SNIP:

By MAUREEN MACKEY, The Fiscal Times
January 28, 2012

You’ve played by the rules. Worked hard to put yourself through school. You’ve gotten a decent job and you pay your taxes. You’re faithfully paying down your mortgage and saving money in a 401(k) – all to secure your finances and your future. But now there are a lot more “takers” than “makers” in this country – and the impact is systemic and long-lasting.

A prevalent new “moocher culture” is changing the character of this nation – that’s the core message of A Nation of Moochers: America’s Addiction to Getting Something for Nothing, a new book by Charles J. Sykes, senior fellow at the Wisconsin Policy Research Institute and the author of six previous books.

“This has been the flash point in American politics for the last several years,” Sykes told The Fiscal Times in an interview this week. “In the wake of the Great Recession, we’ve shifted from a culture of celebrating and encouraging those who are productive and hardworking, to a culture where handouts, bailouts, freebies and entitlements dominate. You start to wonder, Why am I paying the freight for those who have been reckless and irresponsible, whether it’s on Wall Street or in Washington or anywhere else in the community? I think we’re becoming a very different nation.”

Excerpts from our conversation with the author follow:

The Fiscal Times (TFT): With so many people out of work and so many suffering – through no fault of their own – how do you draw the line between real need and a so-called “culture of mooching”?
Charles Sykes (CS): That’s obviously the most difficult part, the gray area in the middle. There’s a distinction between needing temporary aid versus using a vast network of dependency as a way of life. Unemployment compensation, for example, is necessary for an amount of time. But when you start getting into 90-plus weeks of unemployment, hasn’t a temporary stopgap now become an excuse for people to avoid taking jobs? A number of economic studies have shown that the longer these benefits are extended, the higher the unemployment rate is. People make a rational calculation that it’s easier to stay on the couch than to get a job that maybe isn’t as great as what they had before.

TFT: Isn’t it a big leap to go from someone on unemployment to a wholesale expansion of dependency?
CS: If we have hungry children, of course we as a compassionate society have an obligation to take care of them. But I think we’re going through a massive concerted effort to expand the number of people who are dependent, who are looking to the government to buy them free breakfast, lunch and dinner, far beyond any reasonable definition of genuine need.

TFT: Is this new learned helplessness, as you describe it, a replacement for the employed-for-life, taken-care-of-for-life notion that many in earlier generations have known?
CS: Maybe. But ultimately the use of other people’s money and the vast expansion of benefits won’t substitute for what used to be provided for by the private sector. You can certainly understand the attraction of the bailouts, the freebies, the handouts, the dependency – for people who are nervous about the economy. But some politicians play upon this anxiety by promising things that are ultimately unaffordable and unsustainable. This endless promise that there’s always enough money in someone else’s pocket won’t work. It’s very seductive in some ways, but it’s not a solution to our economic problems, and it’s changing the culture and character of our society. It’s not the self-reliance and sense of independence and industry that our nation was founded on.

TFT: You worry about the children and the young people coming up.

read it all here.

Radical Right Wing Extremist propaganda. Food stamps, subsidized housing, welfare, medicaid are only given to those that need it and to qualify is not sometimes worth it and they do not even apply. To get $10 in food stamps you have to fill out a 25 page application and devulge you life's history. There are poor people in this country, Steph, and GOD say there would alway be. They are not asking for hand outs but assistance.
White House is the people's house and when you work you contribute to the house hold an when a family member is out of work or disabled, elderly, food is not withheld and they are not kicked out in the cold.
Think, Seph, with all your faculties.:cuckoo:

I contributed to the people's household and has never collected so my share can go to someone who needs it. There is fraud sometimes but shit happens.

Steph. no one "mooch" off food stamps. and social services has a way of weeding out those that need and those that do not and is not as much fraud as you may think.
"Culture mooching?" how dare you and I know what you are implicating?
People who get food stamp do not buy lobster and filet mignon as sometime alleged. I have seen addicts sell their stamps for cash to buy drugs, so drugs is his food, and alcohol is another's food.
48 million people are on food stamps but they don't tell you how much they get. Some can get as little as $10 depending on one's income.
60. How much will I get in food stamp/SNAP benefits each month? | Mass Legal Services

The area that I work in is international business. The culture of mooching is the stereotype of the New American. It goes beyond the lazy welfare recipient. It is the working American who wants more and more for less and less effort. It's the guy who the company will hire for a good job, who is looking to find a way to sue the company and retire on tort lotto. It's taking a chance that the new hire will be a union "salt", who will help the union shut you down. It's the man or women who will demand the right to treat some obscure illness by getting high on medical marijuana while on the job. The American Moocher could very well be happy to get the job, then once having secured the job imagines the employer is an enemy wrongfully depriving the employee of a fair distribution of profits.

Foreign companies who do business here bring over their own supervisory staff, they like to hire from their own ethnic group. Americans have become untrustworthy. Even American companies are hesitant to hire Americans. Americans are developing a reputation and it is not a good one. Even if someone is a professional there is doubt as to their ability and education. The American is perceived as not having been as dedicated or worked as hard as a non-American, as having gotten through school by mooching grades.

If you know of someone perfectly qualified who can't get a job, it's likely the perception employers are developing of the American as moocher on some level.

SNIP:

By MAUREEN MACKEY, The Fiscal Times
January 28, 2012

You’ve played by the rules. Worked hard to put yourself through school. You’ve gotten a decent job and you pay your taxes. You’re faithfully paying down your mortgage and saving money in a 401(k) – all to secure your finances and your future. But now there are a lot more “takers” than “makers” in this country – and the impact is systemic and long-lasting.

A prevalent new “moocher culture” is changing the character of this nation – that’s the core message of A Nation of Moochers: America’s Addiction to Getting Something for Nothing, a new book by Charles J. Sykes, senior fellow at the Wisconsin Policy Research Institute and the author of six previous books.

“This has been the flash point in American politics for the last several years,” Sykes told The Fiscal Times in an interview this week. “In the wake of the Great Recession, we’ve shifted from a culture of celebrating and encouraging those who are productive and hardworking, to a culture where handouts, bailouts, freebies and entitlements dominate. You start to wonder, Why am I paying the freight for those who have been reckless and irresponsible, whether it’s on Wall Street or in Washington or anywhere else in the community? I think we’re becoming a very different nation.”

Excerpts from our conversation with the author follow:

The Fiscal Times (TFT): With so many people out of work and so many suffering – through no fault of their own – how do you draw the line between real need and a so-called “culture of mooching”?
Charles Sykes (CS): That’s obviously the most difficult part, the gray area in the middle. There’s a distinction between needing temporary aid versus using a vast network of dependency as a way of life. Unemployment compensation, for example, is necessary for an amount of time. But when you start getting into 90-plus weeks of unemployment, hasn’t a temporary stopgap now become an excuse for people to avoid taking jobs? A number of economic studies have shown that the longer these benefits are extended, the higher the unemployment rate is. People make a rational calculation that it’s easier to stay on the couch than to get a job that maybe isn’t as great as what they had before.

TFT: Isn’t it a big leap to go from someone on unemployment to a wholesale expansion of dependency?
CS: If we have hungry children, of course we as a compassionate society have an obligation to take care of them. But I think we’re going through a massive concerted effort to expand the number of people who are dependent, who are looking to the government to buy them free breakfast, lunch and dinner, far beyond any reasonable definition of genuine need.

TFT: Is this new learned helplessness, as you describe it, a replacement for the employed-for-life, taken-care-of-for-life notion that many in earlier generations have known?
CS: Maybe. But ultimately the use of other people’s money and the vast expansion of benefits won’t substitute for what used to be provided for by the private sector. You can certainly understand the attraction of the bailouts, the freebies, the handouts, the dependency – for people who are nervous about the economy. But some politicians play upon this anxiety by promising things that are ultimately unaffordable and unsustainable. This endless promise that there’s always enough money in someone else’s pocket won’t work. It’s very seductive in some ways, but it’s not a solution to our economic problems, and it’s changing the culture and character of our society. It’s not the self-reliance and sense of independence and industry that our nation was founded on.

TFT: You worry about the children and the young people coming up.

read it all here.

Radical Right Wing Extremist propaganda. Food stamps, subsidized housing, welfare, medicaid are only given to those that need it and to qualify is not sometimes worth it and they do not even apply. To get $10 in food stamps you have to fill out a 25 page application and devulge you life's history. There are poor people in this country, Steph, and GOD say there would alway be. They are not asking for hand outs but assistance.
White House is the people's house and when you work you contribute to the house hold an when a family member is out of work or disabled, elderly, food is not withheld and they are not kicked out in the cold.
Think, Seph, with all your faculties.:cuckoo:

I admire your optimistic perspective. The government is capable of weeding out food stamp fraud and voter fraud. It's not as bad as we think. :eek:

I could believe that if I hadn't been lied to so much in the past. I might believe that if I didn't see a mom with 4 or 5 kids texting on her phone wearing her designer jeans and $100.00 tennis shoes paying for cokes, candy and what ever else she decides with her EBT card.

Seriously, you need to use all your faculties to see this happens, a lot, every day. :cuckoo:

Ha. What a fatass pig moocher..
To be fair to Newt, those college deferments helped keep him from going to Vietnam.[/QUOTE]

That. being married. Having two kids. Being too old.

Yeah, I mean, what an effort to go to avoid a war.

Well, it wasn't like he lied to an ROTC officer about wanting to be an officer in order to get a deferment...

I'm lucky to be old enough to have gotten a decent job when they still existed. So we have a nation of people who want "something for nothing"? When there is "nothing" to get, how can you want for something?

You should be thankful that you didn't graduate from high school (and college?) during a global economy.

Yah, there are some spoiled brats out there, but kids these days do NOT have the same opportunities we had. And anyone who believes that they do have the same opportunities, is sniffing glue; and is out of touch with reality.

That still does not give any of them the right to demand what others have rightfully earned. They need to suck it up and put boots on the ground and look for work regardless of what excuses the left uses to encourage them to do otherwise. There are jobs out there for anyone willing to work, might not pay more than minimum wage but there are jobs. I see help wanted signs all over my town, and then welfare recipients who refuse to take them.

Ugh. No one seems to get it. Okay, so there are "help wanted" signs all over your town. That isn't the story in many places in the US. I don't know where you live, but you will not see that in say.....Michigan....Ohio.....Tennessee-hit or miss. Manufacturing is dead.

Man, there are so many things that I could touch on-the price of gas to get back and forth to those jobs.

The point that I'm trying to make, is that we had it a LOT easier...so we don't need to break our arms patting ourselves on the back. I worked two jobs (back when there were jobs) and put myself through college.....due to my less than spectacular high school GPA...therefore not qualifying for any financial assistance (because I would've rather have been playing drums or writing dirty notes in class). And I didn't want or need it.

Raise up your head and look around you. The world that we are living in NOW, is nothing like the world that we set out to "conquer". It would be so easy to label them all as entitlement brats, but it isn't that simple. One of the biggest employers when I graduated high school, and when most of us graduated from high school, was manufacturing. That is GONE! It's in 2nd and 3rd world countries, or computers or robots are doing what humans used to do.

All I'm saying, is that we need to cut them some slack. I encourage many of them to go into healthcare or funeral service (not joking). Both have pretty good job security. People are always going to get sick and people are always going to die.

And in their defense, perhaps my generation and the previous generation have not done a good job as role models. Children learn what they live. If you have an unruly child-unless there is something organic going on with them-you partially have yourself to blame.

I have no children. I'm a generation X'er, and I'm not sure that we have done a very good job setting an example. Now I'm not speaking of EVERY ONE of us; but many of us.

I see plenty of Help Wanted signs around my town too. Does this mean that the "welfare" people aren't taking them? No. As if the employers have no standards and all "welfare" recipients are qualified for every one of these jobs.

Typical lazy wingnut logic.

What he is right about is that there are jobs that they won't take. They don't want to work. That simple. By and large, they are the minority.

Forum List

Back