The 'Take Care of Me' Society is Wrecking the USA

I would venture to say that it is miniscule. I'm not sure why so many people believe that these YOUNG and ENERGETIC kids want to sit on their asses. NOT SO!

I've asked that question of nutters a hundred times. Never get an answer.

They think they are above flipping burgers or busing tables...........it's not that they don't want to work, they want to make big bucks. If they can't get their way, then they won't do anything.

Even with a college degree you have to start at the bottom, you have to take what's available even if it means picking cotton. They are too good for that, they have degrees!! :rollseyes:

Naturegirl, do you have a degree? If you do, did you start flipping burgers?

I'm lucky to be old enough to have gotten a decent job when they still existed. So we have a nation of people who want "something for nothing"? When there is "nothing" to get, how can you want for something?

You should be thankful that you didn't graduate from high school (and college?) during a global economy.

Yah, there are some spoiled brats out there, but kids these days do NOT have the same opportunities we had. And anyone who believes that they do have the same opportunities, is sniffing glue; and is out of touch with reality.

What an unfortunate existence you must lead if this is your outlook on life.

Enjoy!

Well soggy...what do you see? I see FEW opportunities, unless you have an advanced degree. And even some law school graduates are having difficulty finding jobs.

This is a totally different country than it was 20 years ago. I'm not sure what you do for a living, or your age, but I've seen a pretty grim job market in recent years. My fiance lost a job, due to the contract ending. Is a pharmacist. Has a DOCTOR of pharmacy degree. It took him 2 months to find a job. Was actually a pharmacy instructor at Tulane University years ago. Has an immaculate reputation. What does that tell you?

I pray that things get better....but it's going to take a few years.

Georgia and Alabama had crops that dried up while they had some of the highest unemployment numbers in the country. Don't tell me there are no jobs. There are jobs no one wants to do or think they are beneath them.

Enjoy!

Well soggy...what do you see? I see FEW opportunities, unless you have an advanced degree. And even some law school graduates are having difficulty finding jobs.

This is a totally different country than it was 20 years ago. I'm not sure what you do for a living, or your age, but I've seen a pretty grim job market in recent years. My fiance lost a job, due to the contract ending. Is a pharmacist. Has a DOCTOR of pharmacy degree. It took him 2 months to find a job. Was actually a pharmacy instructor at Tulane University years ago. Has an immaculate reputation. What does that tell you?

Georgia and Alabama had crops that dried up while they had some of the highest unemployment numbers in the country. Don't tell me there are no jobs. There are jobs no one wants to do or think they are beneath them.

So a pharmacist with 20+ years of experience. Has taught at two colleges. 4 years of college. 4 years of pharmacy school, and 2 years of residency. He would be more valuable picking cotton. You're serious?

I've asked that question of nutters a hundred times. Never get an answer.

They think they are above flipping burgers or busing tables...........it's not that they don't want to work, they want to make big bucks. If they can't get their way, then they won't do anything.

Even with a college degree you have to start at the bottom, you have to take what's available even if it means picking cotton. They are too good for that, they have degrees!! :rollseyes:

I would do what was necessary to feed my family and put a roof over their head, yes even if it meant flipping burgers, picking cotton and veggies on farms. My degree is really not a factor in what I would do if I HAD to.

Just because I have a degree doesn't make me superior when it comes to putting food on the table. That's the biggest difference in today's college grads. I started out doing collections in a huge catalog store. Yea, I did what I had to to earn a paycheck and worked my way up.

So a pharmacist with 20+ years of experience. Has taught at two colleges. 4 years of college. 4 years of pharmacy school, and 2 years of residency. He would be more valuable picking cotton. You're serious?

Are you asking if he would want to, I doubt it but what if he had to???

Sorry, unnatural girl.

It was Wall Street that destroyed the world economy.

I have a hard time looking down my nose at poor people on welfare when our biggest banks and corporations get it by the billions.

SNIP:

By MAUREEN MACKEY, The Fiscal Times
January 28, 2012

You’ve played by the rules. Worked hard to put yourself through school. You’ve gotten a decent job and you pay your taxes. You’re faithfully paying down your mortgage and saving money in a 401(k) – all to secure your finances and your future. But now there are a lot more “takers” than “makers” in this country – and the impact is systemic and long-lasting.

A prevalent new “moocher culture” is changing the character of this nation – that’s the core message of A Nation of Moochers: America’s Addiction to Getting Something for Nothing, a new book by Charles J. Sykes, senior fellow at the Wisconsin Policy Research Institute and the author of six previous books.

“This has been the flash point in American politics for the last several years,” Sykes told The Fiscal Times in an interview this week. “In the wake of the Great Recession, we’ve shifted from a culture of celebrating and encouraging those who are productive and hardworking, to a culture where handouts, bailouts, freebies and entitlements dominate. You start to wonder, Why am I paying the freight for those who have been reckless and irresponsible, whether it’s on Wall Street or in Washington or anywhere else in the community? I think we’re becoming a very different nation.”

Excerpts from our conversation with the author follow:

The Fiscal Times (TFT): With so many people out of work and so many suffering – through no fault of their own – how do you draw the line between real need and a so-called “culture of mooching”?
Charles Sykes (CS): That’s obviously the most difficult part, the gray area in the middle. There’s a distinction between needing temporary aid versus using a vast network of dependency as a way of life. Unemployment compensation, for example, is necessary for an amount of time. But when you start getting into 90-plus weeks of unemployment, hasn’t a temporary stopgap now become an excuse for people to avoid taking jobs? A number of economic studies have shown that the longer these benefits are extended, the higher the unemployment rate is. People make a rational calculation that it’s easier to stay on the couch than to get a job that maybe isn’t as great as what they had before.

TFT: Isn’t it a big leap to go from someone on unemployment to a wholesale expansion of dependency?
CS: If we have hungry children, of course we as a compassionate society have an obligation to take care of them. But I think we’re going through a massive concerted effort to expand the number of people who are dependent, who are looking to the government to buy them free breakfast, lunch and dinner, far beyond any reasonable definition of genuine need.

TFT: Is this new learned helplessness, as you describe it, a replacement for the employed-for-life, taken-care-of-for-life notion that many in earlier generations have known?
CS: Maybe. But ultimately the use of other people’s money and the vast expansion of benefits won’t substitute for what used to be provided for by the private sector. You can certainly understand the attraction of the bailouts, the freebies, the handouts, the dependency – for people who are nervous about the economy. But some politicians play upon this anxiety by promising things that are ultimately unaffordable and unsustainable. This endless promise that there’s always enough money in someone else’s pocket won’t work. It’s very seductive in some ways, but it’s not a solution to our economic problems, and it’s changing the culture and character of our society. It’s not the self-reliance and sense of independence and industry that our nation was founded on.

TFT: You worry about the children and the young people coming up.

read it all here.
The 'Take Care of Me' Society is Wrecking the USA

Welfare for the wealthy is where we should start.

Why should the idle rich, who don't work, pay taxes at a lower rate than people who do work?

Sorry, unnatural girl.

Keep on believing that, the reality is DC destroyed the world economy. The politicians taking the payoffs for their friends. And no, greed and corruption are not partisan. :doubt:

I know someone. Lost his six figure sales job last year and refuses to take anything for less. Owns 2 homes and a boat. Should we help pay his mortgages? His kids' tuition? And if so, for how long? Infinitely?

So....is your answer......1?

While your anecdotal example seems entirely contrived......I don't think this guy is the demon outlined in the OP.

your avatar has nice boobies.

I have a hard time looking down my nose at poor people on welfare when our biggest banks and corporations get it by the billions.

Unatural girl has been brainwashed by the Republicans Blame the Poor campaign.

Meanwhile the idle rich like Romney loot American companies, ship their jobs overseas, and stash their millions in the Cayman Islands.

That still does not give any of them the right to demand what others have rightfully earned. They need to suck it up and put boots on the ground and look for work regardless of what excuses the left uses to encourage them to do otherwise.
Yeah......just like those.....

.....huh????

:eusa_whistle:

Clinton/Warren-that would be AWESOME!!!

It would be like having Obama just stay in the oval office.

I'm lucky to be old enough to have gotten a decent job when they still existed. So we have a nation of people who want "something for nothing"? When there is "nothing" to get, how can you want for something?

You should be thankful that you didn't graduate from high school (and college?) during a global economy.

Yah, there are some spoiled brats out there, but kids these days do NOT have the same opportunities we had. And anyone who believes that they do have the same opportunities, is sniffing glue; and is out of touch with reality.

Enjoy!

I graduated from college back in the eighties... it took MONTHS to find a job and when I did, it was 1,400 miles away.

Shit happens... not to mention, kids are wasting a lot of time, and money, getting even advanced degrees in totally worthless curriculums. Ya wanna PHD in Post Bolshevik Vagaina Studies? GREAT!!!!! But don't bitch when the loans come due and the only job you are qualified for is Starbucks.

I would do what was necessary to feed my family and put a roof over their head, yes even if it meant flipping burgers, picking cotton and veggies on farms. My degree is really not a factor in what I would do if I HAD to.

Just because I have a degree doesn't make me superior when it comes to putting food on the table. That's the biggest difference in today's college grads. I started out doing collections in a huge catalog store. Yea, I did what I had to to earn a paycheck and worked my way up.

Oh, I agree, wholeheartedly. I'm talking about when you graduated from college. Did you flip burgers, or were you fortunate enough to find something that used your degree, or training?

I know a lady who lost her pharmaceutical sales job and opted to collect unemployment and just be a stay at home mom until the gravy train ends.

It's a lot more prevalent than you think.

I think it's ridiculous to blame this sort of thing on the people who take advantage of it. Blame the idiots who create and maintain the state dependency. This woman is choosing the best option in a shitty situation, and as important as being at home with your kids is, I'd do the same damned thing.

You don't like the things that the rules afford people? Change the rules. Don't blame people making perfectly rational decisions.

I think what she meant was, it would be better if he picked cotton while waiting for something better to open up instead of complaining about no jobs when obviously there are jobs but people choose not to do them.

Enjoy!

I graduated from college back in the eighties... it took MONTHS to find a job and when I did, it was 1,400 miles away.

Shit happens... not to mention, kids are wasting a lot of time, and money, getting even advanced degrees in totally worthless curriculums. Ya wanna PHD in Post Bolshevik Vagaina Studies? GREAT!!!!! But don't bitch when the loans come due and the only job you are qualified for is Starbucks.

OMG!!! :lol: Now THAT'S funny! Pharmacy is different. You would be surprised-if you don't know many pharamacists-how many lives they save on a daily basis; when a physician or a nurse calls in an incorrect order. I've heard horror stories. Or when a nurse doesn't know how to mix an infusion. They are there for a reason, and are very necessary.

He worked hard to get to where he is.

Sorry, unnatural girl.

not_this_shit_again.jpg

I think what she meant was, it would be better if he picked cotton while waiting for something better to open up instead of complaining about no jobs when obviously there are jobs but people choose not to do them.

Oh, he's also a paramedic...which he does for "fun". That's how we met. He absolutely LOVES EMS work, and works at it every chance he gets. Not lazy AT ALL! And is just as conservative as you guys.

Forum List

Back