The Space Shuttle Landed This Morning

I hope the Republicans make this their 2012 mantra: The middle class is overpaid! If every would just agree to become poorer we'd all be better off!:clap2:

Ask yourself this question, "Is the UAW better off now than it was 4 years ago?"

Yes indeed, the UAW is far better off - their largest companies are stable and gaining market share.

Taxpayers lose $1.3 billion as govt. exits Chrysler - Jul. 21, 2011

And at such a small cost too

there is nothing as worse as to see someone lament and hate for no real reason. The NASA program has other pans in the fire. At least no one died in this journey. The shuttles are old and dangerous.

so are the ones they will be using in the meantime........

The Soyuz system is actually the safest in manned space flight history. Until we have, if ever, a replacement for the aging shuttle fleet... or until commercial endeavors can do the job safely and cost effectively, I'm fine with hitching a ride with the Russians for a while. Good for international relations too.

and poof 3,9000 people become instantly unemployed. As soon as they wrap things up in Orlando and Houston that number grows to ten thousand. Way to go obiedoodle now you want the taxpayer to pony up 60Billion to Russia to send one of our guys to the space station. You're so fucking brilliant.

Why does obama hate America?

Why do you insist on blaming Obama for shutting down a 30 year old shuttle program that was already past it's prime? This was 'planned' before Obama was elected.

Technically, it's just another Bush policy he maintained or continued, you know?

If you want to be pissed at Obama about the other NASA budget and program cuts, I'm right there with you.

It happened on his watch. He could have stopped it.

What part of AGING... NO LONGER AS SAFE... OUTDATED TECHNOLOGY... etc do you fail to comprehend?

I'm a devout conservative, registered Republican, and have been following the space program since I watched the first Apollo-Soyuz missions from the electronics department of a local retailer as a kid.

That being said, I have ZERO problem with closing down the shuttle program. It's the right time.

The problem is not the shuttle program shutting down. It's 30+ years old now, well past it's useful and SAFE lifespan. It needed to be shut down.

The problem is not funding the replacement, and cutting funding for NASA and the program in general.

Congress is fully capable of refunding NASA. Shoot the Boner an E-mail.

Already have. Emailed Obama when he froze the budget for NASA... emailed my local congressman and senator as well.

The decision to cease shuttle flight was made seven years ago, barely a year after the Columbia tragedy. President Barack Obama nixed President George W. Bush's lunar goals, however, opting instead for astronaut expeditions to an asteroid and Mars.

Last-ditch appeals to keep shuttles flying by such NASA legends as Apollo 11's Neil Armstrong and Mission Control founder Christopher Kraft landed flat.

It comes down to money.

Last space shuttle comes home, ends 30-year era - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -

We have to move forward at some point.
We were going to, but Obama killed the vehicles that were going to replace the shuttle.

which is where my support for his actions in this thread ends. As I stated previously, there should be money budgeted for a replacement. We have one option already developed. There were other options as well. All gone from the budget cut.

Oh, so now we're Joe Constitutionalist.

You sure you want to go down this road?

Yes, enlighten me.

It falls under the "Good and Commerce" clause.

Why do you Democrats hate science?

Thanks. I appreciate the time you took out of your busy day to research that on my behalf.

Whether or not it applies to the space program who knows but the way you people throw the constitutionality of government programs around, I figured I 'd give it a shot.

And by the way, I'm a big fan of the space program, constitutionally guaranteed and provided or not.

How unAmerican of him. America has had space superiority for decades and now with this usurper acting as president, he officially ended it this morning with the last shuttle landing. Obama cancelled the shuttles earlier as well as the Constellation program ending our capability to get into orbit with any American space vehicle. The Russians who can't be trusted has been given space superiority by Obama and it puts America's national security at serious risk. The Russians now has the capability to go into orbit and dismantle any of our satellites at will. This should be a wakeup call to Americans of what this Article 2 Section 1 Constitutional violater has done. What we need now is a person as president who loves our country with pride and patriotism who want to restore what Obama has taken away from us, American exceptionalism. That person is Sarah Palin.

Diss Vidaniya: Shuttle Ends 50 Years of U.S. Space Flight as Russia Trumpets 'Era of Soyuz'

Read more: Diss Vidaniya: Shuttle Ends 50 Years of U.S. Space Flight as Russia Trumpets 'Era of Soyuz' - FoxNews.com

merged with existing thread.

Last edited:
Yes, enlighten me.

It falls under the "Good and Commerce" clause.

Why do you Democrats hate science?

Thanks. I appreciate the time you took out of your busy day to research that on my behalf.

Whether or not it applies to the space program who knows but the way you people throw the constitutionality of government programs around, I figured I 'd give it a shot.

And by the way, I'm a big fan of the space program, constitutionally guaranteed and provided or not.

I think the founders would have been big proponents of manned space flight as well; all real American are. I can see the Space Program falling under the General welfare clause; the Robert Byrd Memorial Library and Knot Making Center -- not so much

I know I am.

I worked on the design of some of the audio systems for the shuttle back in the '70s. I would imagine they've upgraded a lot of the systems by now but still the fleet is old tech.

Maybe when St Sarah gets elected by a landslide in 2012 and all is right with the world again we can go back to putting money into a new and improved vehicle.

Until then, maybe we should concentrate on taking care of things here on earth.

When Obama is done deleveraging controling ownership of the US Government to foreign debtholders, I wonder what foreign owners will do with their newly acquired US Military?

I worked on the design of some of the audio systems for the shuttle back in the '70s. I would imagine they've upgraded a lot of the systems by now but still the fleet is old tech.

Maybe when St Sarah gets elected by a landslide in 2012 and all is right with the world again we can go back to putting money into a new and improved vehicle.

Palin will be proud to highlight American exceptionalism as evidenced by the Space Program

there is already another thread on this.

Also, this is a stupid thing to be pissed at Obama about. There are many other more important issues he's screwed us over on.

The shuttle is 30 + years old. Technologically outdated, becoming more unsafe.

We can hitch a ride with Russia for people and materials until the commercial entities are ready to take over.

And please... anyone saying this is a slap in the face, or that Obama slammed the door, or whatever... this was planned under Dubbya, remember?

We have to move forward at some point.
We were going to, but Obama killed the vehicles that were going to replace the shuttle.

which is where my support for his actions in this thread ends. As I stated previously, there should be money budgeted for a replacement. We have one option already developed. There were other options as well. All gone from the budget cut.
Yup. For the first time in over half a century, the United States has no way to get a human being into orbit.

That is not progress, Mr. President.

Palin will be proud to highlight American exceptionalism as evidenced by the Space Program

"American exceptionalism" sounds a lot like that Master Race crap Hitler used to spew.

Forum List

Back