"The solution is to change minds and hearts"

MarcATL

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2009
I've noticed more than a few Conservative USMB posters utilize, apparently the latest meme "The solution is to change minds and hearts" when referring to things such as serving gays in businesses open to the public and dealing w/gun violence rampant in America.

Really?

How would "changing minds and hearts" have worked for the civil rights movement?

We don't live in a vacuum folks, "changing minds and hearts" wouldn't improve a single, solitary thing WITHOUT being followed by some legislative action.

Unless you can show me a time in America's history where "The solution is to change minds and hearts" actually worked I call BS.

I've noticed more than a few Conservative USMB posters utilize, apparently the latest meme "The solution is to change minds and hearts" when referring to things such as serving gays in businesses open to the public and dealing w/gun violence rampant in America.

Really?

How would "changing minds and hearts" have worked for the civil rights movement?

We don't live in a vacuum folks, "changing minds and hearts" wouldn't improve a single, solitary thing WITHOUT being followed by some legislative action.

Unless you can show me a time in America's history where "The solution is to change minds and hearts" actually worked I call BS.

Meanwhile they want to take their surrogate penises with them everywhere they go changing hearts and minds.

ChipotleGuns.jpg

Really?

Meanwhile they want to take their surrogate penises with them everywhere they go changing hearts and minds.

ChipotleGuns.jpg

Look at those two losers -- I wonder if that's what the nutters on USMB look like.

No wonder they're so angry, they never get laid.

Really?

ChipotleGuns.jpg

Look at those two losers -- I wonder if that's what the nutters on USMB look like.

No wonder they're so angry, they never get laid.

I'd certainly feel safer if they were in the same restaurant as me.

Really?

Used to be the Irish couldn't get a decent job to save their lives. as they became more acculturated to America that went away.
The legal part of the Civil Rights Movement sucked. It brought a spurious equality at the price of liberty and freedom. If they had never passed legislation people would have eventually quit discrimianting as discrimination is in fact very expensive.

Really?

ChipotleGuns.jpg
Tweedledee-Tweedledum-alice-in-wonderland-25961671-800-400.jpg

Really?

Martin Luther King worked every day of his life to change hearts. He even argued that, ultimately, that was the only real solution to the problem. He believed in laws to protect people, but he also believed in the power of change.

Any other questions, idiot?

Last edited by a moderator:
Changing minds and hearts doesn't work with legislative action either. The civil rights legislation proved that.

Changing minds and hearts doesn't work with legislative action either. The civil rights legislation proved that.

I dunno.
Ask any kid in the South today if they think it's OK to have separate water fountains or bathrooms for blacks and whites and they'll look at you like you're nuts. But that was norm 50 years ago.

Really?

You care about legislative action? You have a president who does what he wants with or without legislative action in the name of "fundmentally transforming" a nation. Get off your horse on legislative action and process. That part has been fundamentally transformed. Clap for your side.

Which is why MLK thught the important part was chaning the hearts after the legislation was in effect. The problem is that, after he was killed, assholes like Sharpton took over and threw away the idea of changing hearts for gaining power.

Really?

When did GAYS become a race as it relates to 'Civil Rights'?

*FAIL*:eusa_hand:

MLK greatest legacy and gift to America was that he changed the hearts and minds of white Americans. By following the examples of Christ and Gandhi in orchestrating a peaceful movement, he disarmed white resistance. By refusing to take the road of violence, he forced whites to take pause and take the measure of this brave man. To consider what this movement meant for all Americans.

Had he chosen to attempt his goals with violence, he would have sparked a race war that could have killed untold numbers on both sides and left a wound that may never have healed.

MLK's greatest gift to America was that he took the first bold steps in freeing white Americans from blind hate. As the wall he helped crack slowly fell down, relations improved. I've had the honor and a privilege to be born at the exact time to have watched this unfold. MLK earned a hallowed place among the greatest of Americans in history.

And now we have Obama.:evil:

Really?

I think the only way change is implemented is through a change in minds and hearts. Sometimes that change does not come easily. Take slavery for the first example. Do you think that the southern slave owner thought of the slaves a men? Do you think if his daughter was taken an put into slavery he would not have a problem with the institution? No hearts needed changed and those hearts were changed in the north then in the south after a number of years, then all men were created equal did apply. How we got to the point was a rocky road for sure but until the black man was seen as a man equality would never be realized. White people did have all the power and until men like King changed the hearts and minds of white people the black people would never see equality.

So yes, until hearts and minds are changed nothing good ever comes. The alternative is FORCING people to accept the will of another. That never has a good ending.

Really?

I think the only way change is implemented is through a change in minds and hearts. Sometimes that change does not come easily. Take slavery for the first example. Do you think that the southern slave owner thought of the slaves a men? Do you think if his daughter was taken an put into slavery he would not have a problem with the institution? No hearts needed changed and those hearts were changed in the north then in the south after a number of years, then all men were created equal did apply. How we got to the point was a rocky road for sure but until the black man was seen as a man equality would never be realized. White people did have all the power and until men like King changed the hearts and minds of white people the black people would never see equality.

So yes, until hearts and minds are changed nothing good ever comes. The alternative is FORCING people to accept the will of another. That never has a good ending.
King didn't change the hearts of men, he changed the hearts of SOME.

The Legislation that followed put that change of heart into more broader effect.

Really?

Likening the civil rights movement - where people went from SLAVERY to outright rejection to the 'horrors' the gays have to face like being denied a cake from one out of a thousand bakers is utter idiocy.

There is not comparison and there certainly isn't discrimination even one millionth of what blacks faced throughout that time. When were gays denied the right to vote? Own property? sit on the bus?

the singular right that was denied was the right of marriage. Wrong? Yes. Close to being denied voting, property, family, access to law, self determination and even life all legally? Not in the same ballpark.

MLK greatest legacy and gift to America was that he changed the hearts and minds of white Americans. By following the examples of Christ and Gandhi in orchestrating a peaceful movement, he disarmed white resistance. By refusing to take the road of violence, he forced whites to take pause and take the measure of this brave man. To consider what this movement meant for all Americans.

Had he chosen to attempt his goals with violence, he would have sparked a race war that could have killed untold numbers on both sides and left a wound that may never have healed.

MLK's greatest gift to America was that he took the first bold steps in freeing white Americans from blind hate. As the wall he helped crack slowly fell down, relations improved. I've had the honor and a privilege to be born at the exact time to have watched this unfold. MLK earned a hallowed place among the greatest of Americans in history.

And now we have Obama.:evil:
It's pretty sad to see that the only way the majority of white America would come to love, or at least partially like a black man is when he totally prostrates himself and subjects himself to the beatings, blows and whims of them.

The ones that stand up for themselves, like what the modern day Tea Party is doing, they see as hateful (read Malcolm X), the ones that sit and take blows and beg for you to understand their position...that's who you like. And not even fully, because many whites still find reason and cause to besmirch MLK.

Sad, very sad.

[MENTION=31703]williepete[/MENTION]

Last edited:

Really?

Martin Luther King worked every day of his life to change hearts. He even argued that, ultimately, that was the only real solution to the problem. He believed in laws to protect people, but he also believed in the power of change.

Any other questions, idiot?

Then how come you were utterly clueless about exactly the same sentiment in that mindless Twitter thread you started, idiot?

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum List

Back