The Sin of Unbelief

Ever thought that hell is a place where a person won't meet God or Jesus.
All you'll get is rumors how great and wonderful he is.
Maybe that place is hell w/o the fire and brimstone analogies.

No. I think hell is in the here and now, and Jeremiah already lives in it.

Hell is ignorance, prejudice, bigotry, hunger, homelessness, drug addiction, stupidity, violence...the list goes on.

Stay away from people who are operating in the sin of unbelief.

19187019-mmmain.jpg

They weave an evil web with their lies to trap others with and therein take them down to hell with them.

As the saying goes.....
Misery loves company. Do not give them any.

But ask me whether the man who died in unbelief can be saved, and I reply there is no atonement for that man. There is an atonement made for the unbelief of a Christian, because it is temporary; but the final unbelief—the unbelief with which men die—never was atoned for.

But ask me whether the man who died in unbelief can be saved ...

saved from what, and unbelief may well be a sinless Spirit - particularly having not read the bible or disbelieved it's scriptures.

Jeremiah, are all pre Colombian native Americans in hell ... .:cuckoo:

It is written:

Therefore hell hath enlarged herself, and opened her mouth without measure: and their glory, and their multitude, and their pomp, and he that rejoiceth, shall descend into it.
Isaiah 5:14

It is written:

Thy dead men shall live, together with my dead body shall they rise. Awake and sing, ye that dwell in dust: for thy dew is as the dew of herbs , and the earth shall cast out the dead.
Isaiah 26:19

It is written:

Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice, And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.
John 5:28-29

The word Hel and the concept of it were borrowed from Northern European paganism. There is no hell in Jewish thought. There is sheol, which is quite different from the evangelical perception of hell:

She'ol (/ˈʃiːoʊl/ shee-ohl or /ˈʃiːəl/ shee-əl; Hebrew שְׁאוֹל Šʾôl), in the Hebrew Bible, is a place of darkness to which all the dead go, both the righteous and the unrighteous, regardless of the moral choices made in life, a place of stillness and darkness cut off from life and from the Hebrew God.[1]

The inhabitants of Sheol are the "shades" (rephaim), entities without personality or strength.[2] Under some circumstances they are thought to be able to be contacted by the living, as theWitch of Endor contacts the shade of Samuel for Saul, but such practices are forbidden (Deuteronomy 18:10).[3]

While the Old Testament writings describe Sheol as the permanent place of the dead, in the Second Temple period (roughly 500 BC–70 AD) a more diverse set of ideas developed. In some texts, Sheol is considered to be the home of both the righteous and the wicked, separated into respective compartments; in others, it was considered a place of punishment, meant for the wicked dead alone.[4] When the Hebrew scriptures were translated into Greek in ancient Alexandria around 200 BC, the word "Hades" (the Greek underworld) was substituted for Sheol, and this is reflected in the New Testament where Hades is both the underworld of the dead and the personification of the evil it represents.[5]

And there is tartarus and gehenna, which also don't fit the evangelical spin on the idea of hell.

This is a very interesting read:
The Origin and History of the Doctrine of Endless Punishment

Stay away from people who are operating in the sin of unbelief. They weave an evil web with their lies to trap others with and therein take them down to hell with them.

As the saying goes.....
Misery loves company. Do not give them any.

Jeremiah, if you knew what a miserable testimony you give of your supposedly joyful faith, you'd realize that you are doing more to cause unbelief than anyone else on this thread.

Unbelief, you see, has the Cain-mark upon its forehead. God hates it; God has dealt hard blows upon it: and God will ultimately crush it. Unbelief dishonors God. Every other crime touches God's territory; but unbelief aims a blow at his divinity, impeaches his veracity, denies his goodness, blasphemes his attributes, maligns his character; therefore, God of all things, hates first and chiefly, unbelief, wherever it is.

The Sin of Unbelief

But, sirs, the worst fulfillment of this doom is to come! Good Whitefield used sometimes to lift up both his hands and shout, as I wish I could shout, but my voice fails me. "The wrath to come! the wrath to come!"

It is not the wrath now you have to fear, but the wrath to come; and there shall be a doom to come, when "ye shall see it with your eyes, but shall not eat thereof."

Methinks I see the last great day. The last hour of time has struck. I heard the bell toll its death knell—time was, eternity is ushered in; the sea is boiling; the waves are lit up with supernatural splendour.

I see a rainbow—a flying cloud, and on it there is a throne, and on that throne sits one like unto the Son of Man. I know him.

In his hand he holds a pair of balances; just before him the books,—the book of life, the book of death, the book of remembrance. I see his splendour, and I rejoice at it; I behold his pompous appearance, and I smile with gladness that he is come to be "admired of all his saints."

But there stands a throng of miserable wretches, crouching in horror to conceal themselves, and yet looking, for their eyes must look on him whom they have pierced; but when they look they cry, "Hide me from the face." What face? "Rocks, hide me from the face." What face? "The face of Jesus, the man who died, but now is come to judgment."

But ye cannot be hidden from his face; ye must see it with your eyes: but ye will not sit on the right hand, dressed in robes of grandeur; and when the triumphal procession of Jesus in the clouds shall come, ye shall not march in it; ye shall see it, but ye shall not be there.

Oh! methinks I see it now, the mighty Saviour in his chariot, riding on the rainbow to heaven. See how his mighty coursers make the sky rattle while he drives them up heaven's hill.

A train girt in white follow behind him, and at his chariot wheels he drags the devil, death, and hell.

Hark, how they clap their hands.

Hark, how they shout. "Thou hast ascended up on high; thou hast led captivity captive." Hark, how they chant the solemn lay, "Hallelujah, the Lord God omnipotent reigneth." See the splendour of their appearance; mark the crown upon their brows; see their snow-white garments; mark the rapture of their countenances; hear how their song swells up to heaven while the Eternal joins therein, saying, "I will rejoice over them with joy, I will rejoice over them with singing, for I have betrothed thee unto me in everlasting lovingkindness."

But where are you all the while? Ye can see them up there, but where are you? Looking at it with your eyes, but you cannot eat thereof.

The marriage banquet is spread; the good old wines of eternity are broached; they sit down to the feast of the king; but there are you, miserable, and famishing, and ye cannot eat thereof.

Oh! how ye wring your hands. Might ye but have one morsel from the table—might ye but be dogs beneath the table. You shall be a dog in hell, but not a dog in heaven.
The Sin of Unbelief

But to conclude. Methinks I see thee in some place in hell, tied to a rock, the vulture of remorse gnawing thy heart; and up there is Lazarus in Abraham's bosom.

You lift up your eyes and you see who it is. "That is the poor man who lay on my dunghill, and the dogs licked his sores; there he is in heaven, while I am cast down.

Lazarus—yes, it is Lazarus; and I who was rich in the world of time am here in hell. Father Abraham, send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, to cool my tongue."

But no! it cannot be; it cannot be. And whilst you lie there, if there be one thing in hell worse than another, it will be seeing the saints in heaven.

Oh, to think of seeing my mother in heaven while I am cast out! Oh, sinner, only think, to see thy brother in heaven—he who was rocked in the selfsame cradle, and played beneath the same roof-tree—yet thou art cast out.

And, husband, there is thy wife in heaven, and thou art amongst the damned. And seest thou, father! thy child is before the throne; and thou! accursed of God and accursed of man, art in hell.

Oh, the hell of hells will be to see our friends in heaven, and ourselves lost. I beseech you, my hearers, by the death of Christ—by his agony and bloody sweat—by his cross and passion—by all that is holy—by all that is sacred in heaven and earth—by all that is solemn in time or eternity—by all that is horrible in hell, or glorious in heaven—by that awful thought, "for ever,"—I beseech you lay these things to heart, and remember that if you are damned, it will be unbelief that damns you.

If you are lost, it will be because ye believed not on Christ; and if you perish, this shall be the bitterest drop of gall—that ye did not trust in the Saviour.

The Sin of Unbelief

No. I think hell is in the here and now, and Jeremiah already lives in it.

exactly........

She thinks that by not believing that God became a human being it is a sin when the exact opposite is true, to believe that God became a human being is in itself sinful. She is right about one thing though. If scripture is true, the wages of sin are death.

her hysterics, confusion, and detachment from reality are evidence that she has her reward already.

Last edited:
THE GOSPEL PRODUCES DIFFERENT EFFECTS. It must seem a strange thing, but it is strangely true, that there is scarcely ever a good thing in the world of which some little evil is not the consequence.

Let the sun shine in brilliance—it shall moisten the wax, it shall harden clay; let it pour down floods of light on the tropics—it will cause vegetation to be extremely luxuriant, the richest and choicest fruits shall ripen, and the fairest of all flowers shall bloom, but who does not know, that there the worst of reptiles and the most venomous snakes are also brought forth? So it is with the gospel.

The Two Effects of the Gospel

But ask me whether the man who died in unbelief can be saved, and I reply there is no atonement for that man. There is an atonement made for the unbelief of a Christian, because it is temporary; but the final unbelief—the unbelief with which men die—never was atoned for.

But ask me whether the man who died in unbelief can be saved ...

saved from what, and unbelief may well be a sinless Spirit - particularly having not read the bible or disbelieved it's scriptures.

Jeremiah, are all pre Colombian native Americans in hell ... .:cuckoo:
That's in the Book of Mormon. But you can ask Jeri. He loves the Mormons. Especially Joseph Smith.
Jere does not like Mormonism in the slightest, ty. I, however, love Mormon the Mormon people, having been around them almost all of my love and having come to know them. I believe God has a glorious and wondrous work to perform amongst them. :) Simply get to know Jesus, ty, and you will be fine. Same with Jere. As for the gnostics, ask yourself, "have they joy in their lives?"

It is a fact that the gospel of Jesus Christ will increase some mens damnation at the last great day.

Again, I startle at myself when I have said it; for it seems too horrible a thought for us to venture to utter—that the gospel of Christ will make hell hotter to some men than it otherwise would have been.

Men would all have sunk to hell had it not been for the gospel. The grace of God reclaims "a multitude that no man can number;" it secures a countless army who "shall be saved in the Lord with an everlasting salvation;" but, at the same time, it does to those who reject it, make their damnation even more dreadful. And let me tell you why.
indent.gif

First, because men sin against greater light; and the light we have is an excellent measure of our guilt. What a Hottentot might do without a crime, would be the greatest sin to me, because I am taught better; and what some even in London might do with irnpunity—set down, as it might be, as a sin by God, but not so exceeding sinful-would be to me the very height of transgression, because I have from my youth up been tutored to piety.

The gospel comes upon men like the light from heaven. What a wanderer must he be who strays in the light! If he who is blind falls into the ditch we can pity him, but if a man, with the light on his eyeballs dashes himself from the precipice and loses his own soul, is not pity out of the question?

"How they deserve the deepest hell,
That slight the joys above!
What chains of vengeance must they feel,
Who laugh at sov'reign love!"

It will increase your condemnation, I tell you all, unless you find Jesus Christ to he your Saviour; for to have had the light and not to walk by it, shall be the condemnation, the very essence of it, This shall be the virus of the guilt—that the, "light came into the world, and the darkness comprehended it not;" for "men love darkness rather than light, because their deeds are evil."

Again: it must increase your condemnation if you oppose the gospel.

If God devises a scheme of mercy, and man rises up against it, how great must be his sin?

Who shall tell the great guilt incurred by such men as Pilate, Herod, and the Jews? Oh! who shall picture out, or even faintly sketch, the doom of those who cried, "Crucify him! Crucify him!"

And who shall tell what place in hell shall be hot enough for the man who slanders God's minister, who speaks against his people, who hates his truth, who would, if he could, utterly cut off the godly from the land?

Ah! God help the infidel! God help the blasphemer! God save his soul: for of all men least would I choose to be that man.

Think you, sirs, that God will not take account of what men have said?

One man has cursed Christ; he has called him a charlatan.

Another has declared, (know that he spoke a lie) that the gospel was false.

A third has proclaimed his licentious maxims, and then has pointed to God's Word and still, "There are worse things there!"

A fourth has abused God's ministers and held up their imperfections to radicals.

Think you God shall forget all this: it the last day? When his enemies come before him, shall he take then by the hand and say, "The other day thou didst call my servant a dog, and spit on him, and for this I will give thee heaven!"

Rather, if the sin has not been cancelled by the blood of Christ, he will not say, "Depart, cursed one, into the hell which thou didst scoff at; leave that heaven which thou didst despise; and learn that though thou saidst there was no God, this right arm shall teach thee eternally the lesson that there is one; for he who discovers it not by my works of benevolence shall learn it by my deeds of vengeance:

therefore depart, again, I say!"

It shall increase men's hell that they have opposed God's truth. Now, is not this a very solemn view of the gospel, that it is indeed to many "a savour of death unto death?"

Yet, once more. I believe the gospel make some men in this world more miserable than they would be.

The drunkard could drink, and could revel in his intoxication with greater joy, if he did not hear it said, "All drunkards shall have their portion in the lake that burneth with fire and brimstone."

How jovially the Sabbath-breaker would riot through his Sabbaths, if the Bible did not say, "Remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy!" And how happily could the libertine and licentious man drive on his mad career, if he were not told,

"The wages of sin is death, and after death the judgment!" But the truth puts the bitter in his cup; the warnings of God freeze the current of his soul.

The gospel is like the skeleton at the Egyptian feast. Though by day he laughed at it, by night he will quiver as the aspen leaf, and when the shades of evening gather around him, he will shake at a whisper.

At the thought of a future state his joy is spoiled, and immortality instead of being a boon to him, is in its very contemplation the misery of his existence.

The sweet wooings of mercy are to him no more harmonious than peals of thunder, because he knows he despises them. Yea, I have known some who have, been in such misery under the gospel, because they would not give up their sins, that they have been ready to take their own lives. Oh! terrible thought!

The, gospel is "a savour of death unto death!"

Unto how many here is it so? Who are now hearing God's Word to be damned by it? Who shall retire hence to be hardened by the sound of the truth?

Why, every man who does not believe it; for unto those that receive it, it is "a savour of life unto life," but to unbelievers it is a curse, and a savour of death unto death."

Demonstrating by example what must be done with those who reject the offer of salvation and instead use the opportunity to blaspheme God and question His goodness - I am now putting TNHarley and Breezewood on ignore.

This is what we are to do with those who speak damnable lies about God and refuse to repent.

It is written:

I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes: I hate the work of them that turn aside; it shall not cleave to me.
Psalm 101:3

Cast out the scorner, and contention shall go out; yea, strife and reproach shall cease.
Proverbs 22:10
This is what we are to do with those who speak damnable lies about God and refuse to repent.

... and refuse to repent

repent what, Drama Queen ?

Cast out the scorner, and contention shall go out; yea, strife and reproach shall cease.
Proverbs 22:10

Cast out the scorner ... and contention shall go out; yea, strife and reproach shall cease.

th

christianity at it's finest, Jeremiah.

If the OP truly believed then the OP would not have
1)allowed the fallen one to lead her opposite the 10 commands. By & through the created idol which brings us to
2)will not lose the grip of that create idol thus does not believe in the Shiloh & the path & guidance to the proper way.
3)would not try and grab people away from the Hebrew God and teachings to lead them to her idol and opposite path and direction.
4)if she believed then she would not need to spend her time doing what her magic man is supposed to snap his fingers, do a ballet twirl and taDah, do himself.

1)allowed the fallen one to lead her opposite the 10 commands. By & through the created idol which brings us to
2)will not lose the grip of that create idol thus does not believe in the Shiloh & the path & guidance to the proper way.
3)would not try and grab people away from the Hebrew God and teachings to lead them to her idol and opposite path and direction.
4)if she believed then she would not need to spend her time doing what her magic man is supposed to snap his fingers, do a ballet twirl and taDah, do himself.View attachment 82523

4)if she believed then she would not need to spend her time doing what her magic man is supposed to snap his fingers, do a ballet twirl and taDah, do himself.

View attachment 82523

Forum List

Back