The root causes of terrorism

Terrorism is the last gasp resort of a minority in the attempt to overthrow an opposition or system of government they view as not in keeping with their minority view points. As a rule, man is docile and content on preservation of ones life and living conditions regardless of the circumstances of their existence. The very real prospect of fear generated by acts of terrorism is the underlying fact in why dictatorships and repressive minority supported governments exist and flourish. Terrorist's prey on the weak and distraught to do their bidding and remain hidden in locations that afford maximum protection without betraying their identity until after an act is completed, release information claiming responsibility, credit, then slink back into the shadows. In an educated environment, with the free ability to speak and share thoughts without fear of physical repression is the remaining weapon in the fight terrorism.

I don't think that is true - I think most people in Europe (in particular countries like France, Holland etc) appreciate enormously the massive contribution made by the US in defeating Hitler.

I'd guess people in Libya are also fairly happy with the US help in getting their country back.

But in other instances, such as Somalia, the US have gone in with poor intelligence and a bad strategy, and that hasn't won too many hearts and minds.

Sure....it's our fault.

I was speaking mostly of Islamic countries.

Somalia is run by various clans. They don't like each other. We got in the middle of a civil war and stopped it. Once we stopped it the troubles started.

Kuwait was only grateful for a short while after we liberated them, most of them are now back to being anti American assholes.

Maybe so.....but how many terrorist attacks have taken place in Kuwait?

Basically..yeah.

No American would put up with a foreign military base on American soil..yet it expects the world to put up with American bases..or governments chosen by Americans.

Sorta silly.
As in the case of Somalia the world begged us to help. So we help and the locals start shooting at us because the danger is past and because we're infidels we're unwelcome.

The only country I remember that appreciated what we did for them almost unanimously has been Kuwait.

I have a longer memory than that.

I spent most of 93' in Somalia so so is mine.

Sure....it's our fault.

I was speaking mostly of Islamic countries.

Somalia is run by various clans. They don't like each other. We got in the middle of a civil war and stopped it. Once we stopped it the troubles started.

Kuwait was only grateful for a short while after we liberated them, most of them are now back to being anti American assholes.

There was actually a few on our troops before we invaded Iraq.

Faylaka Island attack - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Officials: Kuwaiti cop shot U.S. soldiers - CNN

Let's go to the movies. Seen Khartoum (1966)? Chuck Heston as British General Gordon gets his head cut off, in the 1886 Mahdi rebellion, incited after Jews migrated to Palestine, 1882, with many westerners spouting Zionist intent, to make a Jewish state.

Heston also gets his head cut off, in El Cid (1961), as the defender of Vienna, against Suleiman the Magnificent.

The Christians and Muslims have been battling, since the Christians invaded the Middle East, in the 1100s. They had to fuck off, until after the industrial revolution, when Zionism was introduced, as a way to a downlow, modern Crusade. So now, Jews are involved, as bulldozing, modern Crusaders, trying to start WWIII.

Muslims aren't idiots; they can see Christians and Zionist Jews, operating, against the laws of the US, with British Imperial policy, since the 1880s. Shit happens, then more shit happens. We aren't done, at all. And the costs are mounting up, for the Crusades.

Chuck Heston used to get his head lopped, in movies, which related to this.

In MTV's Jackass, the Movie, the late Ryan Dunn puts a little, light-blue, toy car in his butt, to signal the end of that movie. Dunn was in a movie with Steve-O this, Bam Margera that, and you know they saw the Democrats coming down the road. Politicians including Democrats put a little AIPAC driver in their butts, which keeps them walking funny, their whole careers.

Ryan Dunn nearly killed a carload of people, in 1995, and in 2011, he went driving, drunk, so he and his friend Zack died in a wreck. RIP, little, blue, toy car sketch. The dying is not done, yet.

Seriously, you don't have a clue about this subject.

Basically..yeah.

No American would put up with a foreign military base on American soil..yet it expects the world to put up with American bases..or governments chosen by Americans.

Sorta silly.

I'm not so sure about that. I believe there is a percentage of Americans that are so invested in global economics that they would easily tolorate if not welcome foreign intervention to protect thier interests. It wouldn't come packaged as traditional foreign military because THAT would be too confrontational but foreign non the less.

Take the attempt by the Bush administration to sell off our ports to Arab and other countries right after 9/11. Our ports are a critical aspect to U S security yet there was major preasure from inside our country to bend to the will of certain outside economic forces and governments to give up control of our ports to those percieved that "owned" American investment.

You've got a point. What I should have said was "most" Americans..wouldn't put up with it. One has to remember some conservatives feel entirely different about the country and it's assets. It was Reagan..that privatized the ports..after all.

Both attacks happened 10 years ago.

We've been in Kuwait since we kicked Saddam out of there. Since 91'. We'll be there as long as they feel they need us there. I figure if Israel bombs Iran we may launch something from there. We've been training their military and providing support and they've returned the favor by giving us a strategic outpost close to the Saudi oil-fields.

I got along pretty well with all of the troops I helped train. They were good people.

Obama needs to solve Palestine issue in his 2nd term. And complete the "re-deployment" from Middle-East. A lot of tensions will cease to exist.

Simple "good and evil"-thinking is much easier, off course.

Obama needs to solve Palestine issue in his 2nd term. And complete the "re-deployment" from Middle-East. A lot of tensions will cease to exist.

Obama has no chance of solving things as they stand.

I think the only chance will come should a Labour government in Israel ever have a strong mandate, and be faced with genuinely moderate leadership in the WB. Neither seem on the cards.

I got along pretty well with all of the troops I helped train. They were good people.

Most 'people' anywhere are when you get to know them as people rather than stereotypes or prejudice.

Agreed. And it's no surprise to me that most of the racist garbage here posted by both sides, but particularly by the resident anti-Arabs, is posted by people whose only "knowledge" is from stereotypes and prejudice.

Racial hatred simply doesn't stand up to close examination.

Arte -

I honestly hope not, because that would more likely mean world war than global peace.

I'd rather see the root causes for terror addressed than let the wound fester and spread.

The Irish conflict didn't end by killing all Catholics, and neither has genocide proved a solution anywhere else that I can think of.

First of all, IRA terrorism is something completely different than the global jihadi terrorism. The goals of IRA terrorists (and of ETA, PLO, etc.) are defined and limited. They can be acceptable or unacceptable, but they don't form an existential threat. Global jihadi terrorism does form an existential threat and does not have limited goals. Its goal is to kill or subjugate all non-believers.

Second, I'm not advocating any kind of genocide. Nor am I targeting any ethnic group. I'm just being realistic about the scope of the threat. You don't honestly believe that Jihadi terrorism is limited to a few hundred people, do you. It's a substantial threat that will take many more decades to defeat. And this will involve killing hundreds of thousands of jihadi terrorists and their supporters.

Third, the root cause of jihadi terrorism is that they want to destroy or subjugate all non-believers. There is no middle ground here. Eliminating them is the only possible answer.

Jihadi terrorism does not find its roots in the Palestinian issue.

I agree, but it is fuel to the fire, and were the Palestinian issue to be resolved, it would weaken the case of Isamic leaders who attempt to portray the US and Israel as colonialist enemies of Islam.

I agree, but it is fuel to the fire, and were the Palestinian issue to be resolved, it would weaken the case of Isamic leaders who attempt to portray the US and Israel as colonialist enemies of Islam.

It's impact on jihadi terrorism would be zero. The only possible effect would be to add further fuel to jihadi terrorism because any peace deal would be seen as a betrayal by jihadi terrorists and their supporters.

Last edited:

Most 'people' anywhere are when you get to know them as people rather than stereotypes or prejudice.

Agreed. And it's no surprise to me that most of the racist garbage here posted by both sides, but particularly by the resident anti-Arabs, is posted by people whose only "knowledge" is from stereotypes and prejudice.

Racial hatred simply doesn't stand up to close examination.

Well, I think a lot of that hatred would go away if they'd just stop trying to kill us. It tickles me when I hear an Arab supporter complain about their image taking into account their recent history. The racist garbage you speak of are simply reacting to current events. Reading the headlines about yet another terrorist attempt in the United States, and reading about an explosion in Iraq this weekend is not changing any hearts and minds.

I've always known that Palestine was an excuse for Arabs to complain. They could end the problem in a matter of months if they wanted to.....but they don't.

Forum List

Back