The root causes of terrorism

I like to offer my point on this subject Saigon, and hope no one with take it as an excuse for terrorists.
Terrorism derives from feeling of desperation. I compare it to an individual, say a man/father who has given up any hope of reconciliation/settlement/custody by the system and goes on to do something very stupid (resorting to kidnapping/arson/murder)
Again, I am trying to share my understanding and this is no way is meant to condone a cowardly and inhumane act, but just as those who "honor" kill the ones they're supposed to love, brainwashed to think that's the only way of preserving respect, terrorists are taught to believe what they are or will be doing is for the good of the family/tribe/society therefore the right thing to do.
Just my two cents.

I think that is a good point, and one I agree with - and I don't support terrorism either!!

But I do think that to try and stop terror, we also need to try to understand why people become terrorists in the first place, just as a detective might try to think his way through the criminals view of a crime he is investigating.

I also see depseration there...and as I mentioned earlier, I think that comes with poverty.

Root cause? Fear. For Islamic leaders, the fear of freedom.... they see how we live in the west and realize that their own people might want a bit of that too. So, they create a atmosphere of fear and encourage their uneducated to sacrifice themselves for some fantasy that we're out to destroy their religion.

Of course, the left will blame us for our 'meddling', but it seems that even the left can't avoid 'meddling' - like supporting the overthrow of the Libyan government.... call it 'humanitarianism' and pretend that makes it ok.

We did not start this shit.... Islamic religious leaders did.

Fear? Does that explain the actions of McVeigh, Rudolph or Roeder?

Your cause and effect explanation, colored as it is by partisan hackery, is way too simple to explain the root cause of terrorism. Terrorism has existed for all of recorded history and its father is many, never a single cause.

Last edited:
Root cause? Fear. For Islamic leaders, the fear of freedom.... they see how we live in the west and realize that their own people might want a bit of that too. So, they create a atmosphere of fear and encourage their uneducated to sacrifice themselves for some fantasy that we're out to destroy their religion.

Of course, the left will blame us for our 'meddling', but it seems that even the left can't avoid 'meddling' - like supporting the overthrow of the Libyan government.... call it 'humanitarianism' and pretend that makes it ok.

Your cause and effect explanation, colored as it is by partisan hackery, is way to simple to explain the root cause of terrorism. Terrorism has existed for all of recorded history and its father is many, never a single cause.

You may have missed that I referenced Islamic terrorism... I agree that there is no one root cause for all terrorism, but with the Muslims, it's fear. They are afraid of our freedom - their leaders - religious and political are scared of the freedom that the west has will proved more enticing to their people than their current lives.

You can knock off the hysterical hyperbole now. Idiot.

I like to offer my point on this subject Saigon, and hope no one with take it as an excuse for terrorists.
Terrorism derives from feeling of desperation. I compare it to an individual, say a man/father who has given up any hope of reconciliation/settlement/custody by the system and goes on to do something very stupid (resorting to kidnapping/arson/murder)
Again, I am trying to share my understanding and this is no way is meant to condone a cowardly and inhumane act, but just as those who "honor" kill the ones they're supposed to love, brainwashed to think that's the only way of preserving respect, terrorists are taught to believe what they are or will be doing is for the good of the family/tribe/society therefore the right thing to do.
Just my two cents.

I think that is a good point, and one I agree with - and I don't support terrorism either!!

But I do think that to try and stop terror, we also need to try to understand why people become terrorists in the first place, just as a detective might try to think his way through the criminals view of a crime he is investigating.

I also see depseration there...and as I mentioned earlier, I think that comes with poverty.

Terror is a means to achieve control. It is a tool used by individuals and nation-states to gain power. Much like a rebellious teen, it has appeal to those seeking self identity and a purpose different life. So the observation above in re poverty and desperation seems to me to be spot on. But more is needed to motivate a desperate person living in poverty to kill.

There is no stronger motivator then religion and the authority of religious leaders to motivate normal human being to take the life of another. Teaching that taking the life of an evil doer/infidel is just and good by an authority figure grants not only immunity but a sense of reward either in this life, in 'heaven' or in the company of 50 virgins.

That explains why more harm is done in Gods name then in any (other?) criminal enterprise. There will always be terrorists as there will always be men and women of good will. As long as our leaders continue to call all Muslims terrorists, more Muslims will become terrorists. The foolish brouhaha on the alleged building of a Mosque at ground zero is a prime example of what's wrong with our nations response to Nine-Eleven.

Last edited:

Your cause and effect explanation, colored as it is by partisan hackery, is way to simple to explain the root cause of terrorism. Terrorism has existed for all of recorded history and its father is many, never a single cause.

You may have missed that I referenced Islamic terrorism... I agree that there is no one root cause for all terrorism, but with the Muslims, it's fear. They are afraid of our freedom - their leaders - religious and political are scared of the freedom that the west has will proved more enticing to their people than their current lives.

And you can go to hell. Hysterical hyperbole is exactly what you posted by claiming a single cause for (Islamic) terrorism. They hate our freedom? Bullshit, and nothing more than a parrot of GWB's speech writer.

Try to be real once in a while.

Terror is a means to achieve control. It is a tool used by individuals and nation-states to gain power. Much like a rebellious teen, it has appeal to those seeking self identity and a purpose different life. So the observation above in re poverty and desperation seems to me to be spot on. But more is needed to motivate a desperate person living in poverty to kill.

There is no stronger motivator then religion and the authority of religious leaders to motivate normal human being to take the life of another. Teaching that taking the life of an evil doer/infidel is just and good by an authority figure grants not only immunity but a sense of reward either in this life, in 'heaven' or in the company of 50 virgins.

That explains why more harm is done in Gods name then in any (other?) criminal enterprise. There will always be terrorists as there will always be men and women of good will. As long as our leaders continue to call all Muslims terrorists, more Muslims will become terrorists. The foolish brouhaha on the alleged building of a Mosque at ground zero is a prime example of what's wrong with our nations response to Nine-Eleven.

Very, very good points.

I especially like the part about angry teens, because in terrorists we see that same lack of self-reflection that teeangers have - just rage, determination, purpose and self-belief.

Just my two cents.

If that is the case.....why are so many terrorists rich.....like Osama Bin Laden?

From this I can't tell whether you support the role the US played in tossing out Ghadaffi or not....

I think it was a good move myself - it seemed to represent the will of the Libyan people, and didn't cost a single US life.

Gaddaffi green lighted the bombing of a plane over lockerbie. He needed a dirt nap for that. Instead Bush accepted blood money and a promise not to develop nukes.

That..was unacceptable.

The Lockerbie bombing happened in Dec. of 1988. What did Bush have to do with that?

Btw, folks like you whine about Bush jr going after Saddam and giving him the end of a rope, calling it illegal and all that rubbish....and you cheer Obama killing Gaddaffi indirectly, or killing Al Qaeda members and their friends and family.

Read it again..

U.S. to renew ties with Libya - World news - Mideast/N. Africa - msnbc.com

And yep..we cheer Obama. He was responsible for the deaths of REAL LIVE terrorists involved in REAL attacks against this nation and her people.

Saddam was a US plant..turned into a whipping boy.

^And this is why conservatives have no idea how to combat terrorism..

How ever there is a "kernel" of truth in it. Of course the poster will never ever figure it out.

The foot cause of TERRORIS< everywhere on earth and in every time that it has reared its head is always the same bloody thing.

The government in charge sucks.

The foot cause of TERRORIS< everywhere on earth and in every time that it has reared its head is always the same bloody thing.

The government in charge sucks.

Possibly...but if that were the root cause, we'd be seeing a lot of terror in China, and we aren't.

What do you think drives people to commit acts of terror?

Is it a sign of genuine commitment to a political cause or devotion to a religion?

Or is it more of an unfocsed attack driven by poverty and hopelessness? Or a reaction against genuine oppression?

I don't think there is any one answer to this, and in most cases I think racist historical indoctrination, religious bias, political disenfranchisement and poverty are all key elements. To end terror, we would have to address all of those factors.

Wat we do know is that terror occurs around the world, apparently regardless of skin colour, religion or nationality. There have been terror movements everywhere from Macedonia to South Africa, from Peru to Congo, from Mozambique to Pakistan.

But what most of these countries do have in common is poverty.

While there have been terror cells born out of middle class ennui (Germany, Japan), by far the overhelming majority of terror movements are born out of the slums. They are driven by rage, and a sense of bitterness that others have it better.

Having spent a bit of time in the worst parts of cities like Jakarta, Soweto, Beirut and Kigali, I can understand this.

It can not be easy to grow up amongst the rocks and desert of Southern Lebanon and look south across the well-watered fields and beautiful homes of Northern Israel. And while better educated people might look to themselves to do better, I can understand that many young people just feel anger.

I'm not a big believer in aid projects and even less in just handing out money, but I do think the ultiate solution to poverty lies in improving living standards in places like Gaza, Uganda and the Sudan.

Do you agree?

btw. I put this into thr ME sectio, but consider it a global topic.

This OP is all over the place.

First of all, it is of course completely ridiculous to say that terrorism is something universal and to try to throw together all sorts of very different things under the heading of terrorism. The old-style terrorism of the PLO and various Palestinian nationalist organisations is completely different from the jihadi terrorism of Al Qaeda, Hizbollah, etc. And both are different from the urban guerilla terrorism of the RAF or Red Brigades. To group all of these things together is simply stupid.

Second, the idea that terrorism has anything to do with poverty is really completely ridiculous. The poor are far too busy trying to survive. And I have yet to hear about any terrorist movement of the homeless in Western countries or the truly poor in for example the Congo. If it was true that terrorism had anything to do with poverty, then most global terrorist movements would be based in Central Africa. Quod non.

Obviously terrorist movements sometimes prey on poor people to recruit them for their cause. But that is something completely different from seeing poverty as the root cause of terrorism.

Overal there are 3 strands of terrorism:

1) Some terrorist movements are primarily political in origin: anarchist, far left or far right. They seek to affect political change through destruction and terrorism. They are - in essence - local police and security problems, usually confined to one country. Examples: RAF, Red Brigades, GRAPO, FARC, etc. These groups are usually also relatively small. Effective repression can destroy them.

2) Some terrorist movements are nationalist movements, trying to use terror to advance the cause of a certain etnic group or nation. These movements are very diverse. Some have a fairly broad base and develop into quasi-armies. Sometimes these movements also strike internationally to gain attention for their cause (Palestinians are an obvious example). Because they usually have more definite goals than the political movements, a compromise is sometimes possible. Examples: IRA, ETA, PKK, PLO, Tamil Tigers, Corsican nationalists, etc.

3) The jihadi terrorist movement is in a class all of its own. Its motivation is not political or national but fanatical religious and global. Its aims are to destroy everyone standing in the way of its global vision. It has been raging now for about 35 years. It is bound to remain one of the major global challenges for the coming decades.

First of all, the word "terrorism" is totally subjective.

Because, as they say, "One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter".

I am sure the great American patriot and fighter for freedom George Washington was considered a terrorist by the British. As were all of the Founding Fathers and every one of them would have been hanged if caught.

As for those who say ME so called terrorist hate the West for their "Freedom" is just idiotic.

The people of the ME want their own cultural and religious "Freedom" without interference from the West.

They do not want Western style immoral secular "Freedom" being forced on them.

The jihadi terrorist movement is in a class all of its own. Its motivation is not political or national but fanatical religious and global. Its aims are to destroy everyone standing in the way of its global vision. It has been raging now for about 35 years. It is bound to remain one of the major global challenges for the coming decades.
Seriously, you don't have a clue about this subject.

Last edited:
The jihadi terrorist movement is in a class all of its own. Its motivation is not political or national but fanatical religious and global. Its aims are to destroy everyone standing in the way of its global vision. It has been raging now for about 35 years. It is bound to remain one of the major global challenges for the coming decades.

Basically..yeah.

No American would put up with a foreign military base on American soil..yet it expects the world to put up with American bases..or governments chosen by Americans.

Sorta silly.

Basically..yeah.

No American would put up with a foreign military base on American soil..yet it expects the world to put up with American bases..or governments chosen by Americans.

Sorta silly.

You really have no knowledge of the world do you?

Basically..yeah.

Sorta silly.

I'm not so sure about that. I believe there is a percentage of Americans that are so invested in global economics that they would easily tolorate if not welcome foreign intervention to protect thier interests. It wouldn't come packaged as traditional foreign military because THAT would be too confrontational but foreign non the less.

Take the attempt by the Bush administration to sell off our ports to Arab and other countries right after 9/11. Our ports are a critical aspect to U S security yet there was major preasure from inside our country to bend to the will of certain outside economic forces and governments to give up control of our ports to those percieved that "owned" American investment.

Forum List

Back