The Religion of Peace and Love

Christianity is not the contemporary problem. Islam is.

Seemed a problem when the FLDS was doing things the Bible said to do. Seemed a problem in Waco with the Branch Davidians. Seemed a problem just recently with a church beating to death a boy because he wanted to leave the church.

You've got to be kidding, or insane. There is no degree of comparison to the wholesale execution of Christians and the constancy of global terrorism perpetrated by the Islamists, and their obvious intent to overwhelm and undermine the West by sheer numbers.

At least, again, not to any rational mind.

I love how this one reverts right back into the old good/evil dichotomy, and then ironically tosses in the word "rational".

"When we do it they're outliers; when they do it it's their evil nature". :rolleyes:

Have another cherry.

dt_131216_cherry_picking_fruit_250x188.jpg

Christianity is not the contemporary problem. Islam is.

Seemed a problem when the FLDS was doing things the Bible said to do. Seemed a problem in Waco with the Branch Davidians. Seemed a problem just recently with a church beating to death a boy because he wanted to leave the church.

You've got to be kidding, or insane. There is no degree of comparison to the wholesale execution of Christians and the constancy of global terrorism perpetrated by the Islamists, and their obvious intent to overwhelm and undermine the West by sheer numbers.

At least, again, not to any rational mind.

I love how this one reverts right back into the old good/evil dichotomy, and then ironically tosses in the word "rational".

"When we do it they're outliers; when they do it it's their evil nature". :rolleyes:

Have another cherry.

dt_131216_cherry_picking_fruit_250x188.jpg

I'm surprised any try to refute when confronted by incontrovertible facts like this. :) Especially since doing so requires they refute their own Bibles. I mean duh. :)

So why have a Bible in the first place if much of it is decidely not-love?

The Bible is a wonderful book because there is a lot of truth/data in it about God. The second thing that makes it worthwhile is that it records mankind's relationship with God, from man's point of view. What we have today, that they did not have then, is perspective and hindsight. We can see where they strayed, and where they were spot on. We have recordings of history and culture--and how they saw God in their midst.

I believe that one day there will be undeniable empirical proof of God, and people of later times will read our books about our history and culture, and they will be wondering, "Why didn't they write about God in their midst? Why didn't they include God? Why did the Bible end in the first century? Why the blank? Why didn't they continue the story?"

We can look back at Biblical times and think, "They saw something--and they got some of it wrong." People of the future might look back on our times and marvel we didn't see a thing (that, of course, with hindsight, they are able to see).

So why have a Bible in the first place if much of it is decidely not-love?

The Bible is a wonderful book because there is a lot of truth/data in it about God. The second thing that makes it worthwhile is that it records mankind's relationship with God, from man's point of view. What we have today, that they did not have then, is perspective and hindsight. We can see where they strayed, and where they were spot on. We have recordings of history and culture--and how they saw God in their midst.

I believe that one day there will be undeniable empirical proof of God, and people of later times will read our books about our history and culture, and they will be wondering, "Why didn't they write about God in their midst? Why didn't they include God? Why did the Bible end in the first century? Why the blank? Why didn't they continue the story?"

We can look back at Biblical times and think, "They saw something--and they got some of it wrong." People of the future might look back on our times and marvel we didn't see a thing (that, of course, with hindsight, they are able to see).

So what establishes the Bible's claims as truthful facts and evidence? Are older written documents about God. And newer ones. Why are those dismissed, but one in particular accepted?

Nope. A simple matter of history and human behavior of the times.

So what establishes the Bible's claims as truthful facts and evidence? Are older written documents about God. And newer ones. Why are those dismissed, but one in particular accepted?

Have you noticed that the Bible sometimes contain more than one version of the same story? I wouldn't say older/newer documents are dismissed or are of no value. Some have tremendous value and are incredibly interesting. (And some are merely funny, probably more satirical or the work of skeptics than anything else.)

The Bible would merely have existed as a history and artistic work of ancient Jews had it not been for Jesus of Nazareth, and writers (especially Matthew) who saw in the story of Jesus' life an overshadowing of Jewish history. For Matthew, all of Jewish history pointed to this man: To know the history of one was to know the history of the other.

If you have ever read the comparisons of Abraham Lincoln to John Kennedy, you will understand the type of thing that Matthew saw in his day with Jesus and the Jewish nation.

Running through the Bible we have stories of people who had an experience of God. I think many of us "put up" with all the other stuff in the Bible (i.e., laws and disputes) to hear and understand the experiences that people, down through the ages, had of God. Jewish scripture covers a few thousand years, and over these few thousand years, one might point out that relatively speaking, there are very few stories of experiences of God. What, an experience happens every thousand years or so? I do not think this is the case. I think people of every age have had experiences of God, but the ones that made it into print were those that were so incredible they became memorable.

The stories in print tell every man's story in one form or another. It tells of an experience of God others can relate to because of their own experience; or, they testify that an experience of God is indeed possible. I was just a tiny tyke when I got it into my little head I wanted to be one of those people who had an experience of God--and I got the idea from the Bible (the toddler version, of course). I don't think I'm unique in this. I think everyone dreams/pursues an experience/encounter with God, and that is why the Bible continues to be so well read. The parts that are not clear experiences of God are skimmed over, and do not receive the attention of the former.

Have you noticed that the Bible sometimes contain more than one version of the same story? I wouldn't say older/newer documents are dismissed or are of no value. Some have tremendous value and are incredibly interesting. (And some are merely funny, probably more satirical or the work of skeptics than anything else.)

The Bible would merely have existed as a history and artistic work of ancient Jews had it not been for Jesus of Nazareth, and writers (especially Matthew) who saw in the story of Jesus' life an overshadowing of Jewish history. For Matthew, all of Jewish history pointed to this man: To know the history of one was to know the history of the other.

If you have ever read the comparisons of Abraham Lincoln to John Kennedy, you will understand the type of thing that Matthew saw in his day with Jesus and the Jewish nation.

Running through the Bible we have stories of people who had an experience of God. I think many of us "put up" with all the other stuff in the Bible (i.e., laws and disputes) to hear and understand the experiences that people, down through the ages, had of God. Jewish scripture covers a few thousand years, and over these few thousand years, one might point out that relatively speaking, there are very few stories of experiences of God. What, an experience happens every thousand years or so? I do not think this is the case. I think people of every age have had experiences of God, but the ones that made it into print were those that were so incredible they became memorable.

The stories in print tell every man's story in one form or another. It tells of an experience of God others can relate to because of their own experience; or, they testify that an experience of God is indeed possible. I was just a tiny tyke when I got it into my little head I wanted to be one of those people who had an experience of God--and I got the idea from the Bible (the toddler version, of course). I don't think I'm unique in this. I think everyone dreams/pursues an experience/encounter with God, and that is why the Bible continues to be so well read. The parts that are not clear experiences of God are skimmed over, and do not receive the attention of the former.

May not have agreed with well, most of that, but appreciated reading it. :)

May not have agreed with well, most of that, but appreciated reading it. :)

Grin. Merely one person's thoughts, experience, and opinion! Still, I do believe the reason most pursue faith and the Bible is because they honestly are seeking God. He remains our greatest treasure hunt.

There are really only 2 religions:

(1) You worship God
(2) You worship yourself

That's all there is really.

You are absolutely correct, Bonzi. Thank you for making it so clear and simple. Folks try to make it all so complex, typically.

10 When thou goest forth to war against thine enemies, and the LORD thy God hath delivered them into thine hands, and thou hast taken them captive,
11 And seest among the captives a beautiful woman, and hast a desire unto her, that thou wouldest have her to thy wife;
12 Then thou shalt bring her home to thine house; and she shall shave her head, and pare her nails;
13 And she shall put the raiment of her captivity from off her, and shall remain in thine house, and bewail her father and her mother a full month: and after that thou shalt go in unto her, and be her husband, and she shall be thy wife.
14 And it shall be, if thou have no delight in her, then thou shalt let her go whither she will; but thou shalt not sell her at all for money, thou shalt not make merchandise of her, because thou hast humbled her.
15 If a man have two wives, one beloved, and another hated, and they have born him children, both the beloved and the hated; and if the firstborn son be hers that was hated:

- Deuteronomy 21, KJV

So according to God we can kidnap women in wars, force them to marry us, and if after raping them we don't want them afterall kick em out to go on their merry way. And we can have more than one wife.

Funny, seem to recall ISIS catching a lot of grief for doing what our own Bibles say to do? Musta been the atheists complaining huh?
Let's see...for someone who pretends to be smart, you're an idiot.
He can't have sex with her until she goes through the initial 30 days of mourning.
If he finds her unattractive he releases her into the population and she is cared for as a Gahr (non-Jews have to be cared for amongst the Jewish population)
If he marries her, he can never divorce her.
But that presumes you actually read the verses.
Did I mention you're an idiot?

20 He that sacrificeth unto any god, save unto the LORD only, he shall be utterly destroyed.

- Exodus 22, KJV

Not only are there other deities, but if you worship one you should be killed. So much for freedom of religion.

At least Muslims have 'there shall be no compulsion in religion.' True, they're not very good about actually doing it, but at least it's there.

"Allah says: “Let there be no compulsion in religion. Truth has been made clear from error. Whoever rejects false worship and believes in Allah has grasped the most trustworthy handhold that never breaks. And Allah hears and knows all things.” [Sûrah al-Baqarah: 256]"
“Let there be no compulsion in religion.” | IslamToday - English

That's right...A Jew CANNOT commit Idol Worship.
Did I mention you're an idiot?

(1) You worship God
(2) You worship yourself

What about polytheism? What about nature worship? Or worshiping nothing and striving to overcome the ego?

10 When thou goest forth to war against thine enemies, and the LORD thy God hath delivered them into thine hands, and thou hast taken them captive,
11 And seest among the captives a beautiful woman, and hast a desire unto her, that thou wouldest have her to thy wife;
12 Then thou shalt bring her home to thine house; and she shall shave her head, and pare her nails;
13 And she shall put the raiment of her captivity from off her, and shall remain in thine house, and bewail her father and her mother a full month: and after that thou shalt go in unto her, and be her husband, and she shall be thy wife.
14 And it shall be, if thou have no delight in her, then thou shalt let her go whither she will; but thou shalt not sell her at all for money, thou shalt not make merchandise of her, because thou hast humbled her.
15 If a man have two wives, one beloved, and another hated, and they have born him children, both the beloved and the hated; and if the firstborn son be hers that was hated:

- Deuteronomy 21, KJV

So according to God we can kidnap women in wars, force them to marry us, and if after raping them we don't want them afterall kick em out to go on their merry way. And we can have more than one wife.

Funny, seem to recall ISIS catching a lot of grief for doing what our own Bibles say to do? Musta been the atheists complaining huh?
You have truly become Satan's puppet, Delta. Dancing just as fast as you can for him. The music does not last much longer.

(1) You worship God
(2) You worship yourself

What about polytheism? What about nature worship? Or worshiping nothing and striving to overcome the ego?

Those things are your "God" then.

The being I worship has been called "YHWH", "God", "Allah", and a myriad of other names.

Still... I do less to create quarrels and instigate violence between those of differing spiritual/ religious systems, and more to mend the bridges between them, so that all might understand that there is beauty and strength to be found in any religion... and also, to help people see that there are many paths of "God" and not just what they have been led to believe by humans who would use God's name for social control, indoctrination and manipulation.

Last edited:

(1) You worship God
(2) You worship yourself

I do less to create quarrels and instigate violence between those of differing spiritual/ religious systems, and more to mend the bridges between them, so that all might understand that there is beauty and strength to be found in any religion... and also, tell help people see that there are many paths of "God" and not just what they have been led to believe by humans who would use God's name for social control, indoctrination and manipulation.

She is the equivalent of Balaam from the Bible.

(1) You worship God
(2) You worship yourself

The being I worship has been called "YHWH", "God", "Allah", and a myriad of other names.

Still... I do less to create quarrels and instigate violence between those of differing spiritual/ religious systems, and more to mend the bridges between them, so that all might understand that there is beauty and strength to be found in any religion... and also, to help people see that there are many paths of "God" and not just what they have been led to believe by humans who would use God's name for social control, indoctrination and manipulation.

Understood. But let me ask you this.....

Is it possible for there to be one way to God (through Jesus) and people that believe this NOT use it for social control etc.?

I believe I am one of those people.

Just because I believe you (anyone!) need Jesus for salvation doesn't mean I demand/insist or try to push others to believe the same. Do you see the difference?

10 And the man that committeth adultery with another man's wife, even he that committeth adultery with his neighbour's wife, the adulterer and the adulteress shall surely be put to death.
- Leviticus 20, KJV

Funny how we never hear about this one.

- Deuteronomy 21, KJV

So, how long has it been since Christians operated by these Old Testament rules?

Think we could find numerous examples of Christians in the US following their Bibles literally. Hear about on the news pretty regularly like this church that beat a kid to death for wanting to leave the church.

Regularly? "like THIS church that beat a kid to death for wanting to leave the church"? That's regularly happening?

Forum List

Back