The Relevance of Feminism Now

Women are still paid less than men FOR THE SAME WORK and the current war on women by the right will keep it that way for a long time to come.

Blacks got the vote before women did and people of any and all color AND women are still considered second class citizens. I don't expect to see a woman president any time soon.

There will always be racists and there will always be people who want to control women's reproduction, birth control and pay.

Will there ever be a time when equal rights for ALL humans, ALL Americans is irrelevant? I don't think so.

On the plus side, there's this -

Arizona's new abortion law blocked by court

The loss in income for women due to pay inequality adds up to an average of $383,000 over a lifetime. That is $383,000 of lost buying power for almost half the population of the United States; not to mention that (forgive the stereotype) women are major influencers of buying decisions and often big shoppers.
Sanjay Sanghoee: Why Gay Marriage and Women's Rights Are Critical for the Elections

And, its women who get stuck paying for everything for their children if their marriage fails and the children's father chooses to ignore the court ordered child support. Next, we will hear about how the mothers can take their ex to court but look how well that has worked for teepotter Joe Walsh who has said he can't pay because he makes ONLY $100+K a year. He even said he would vote against his kids staying on their mother's health insurance just because it came from the AFFORDABLE Care Act.

I am stunned that anyone could be against equal rights for women. Don't those people have wives? mothers? daughters? (No, I don't mean lushbo. I'm certain he does not have a mother and never has.)

Who is against equal rights for women?

Not buying into a so-called "feminist" agenda is not the same as opposing equal rights for women.

The problem is that women's movements are a farce. Look at the N.O.W. They are not for the advancement of women and their issues, they are a promotional wing of the Democrat Party. If they really cared about women and women's issues they would fight for all women instead of just liberal women and the result would be that we'd be closer to equality.

Anti-woman women. Amazing. Anti-feminist==opposed to equal rights/pay for women.

What cracks me up are the "former feminists". They remind me of ex-smokers.

"Feminism is hated because women are hated. Anti-feminism is a direct expression of misogyny; it is the political defense of women hating."

Andrea Dworkin

I don't think there is any such thing as a "former feminist". Both men AND women can be in favor or equal rights for both sexes and those who say they used to believe in feminism (equal rights) really never were. They just hid behind the label.

But, you do have a point - its scary and sad to see women who are against women. Makes me remember that its women who hold their daughters down for clitoral "circumcision" and was women who forced their daughters to have their feet bound in China.

OTOH, I used to smoke and dammit all, smoke all you want but NOT in MY air! Shit in your home/office/public place but not in mine. So, I guess that makes me a rabid ex-smoker.

Pay is determined by market factors, not gender. As long as women continue to opt out of education and choose fields like education and nursing versus medicine and engineering, they will be paid less. Women with college degrees in urban areas earn more than their male peers. Women who want to earn more than men already can.

Feminism is unnecessary at this point in time. The gender war is over. Women won.

Rush Limbaugh has a constitutionally protected right to self-expression, but his opinions are basically irrelevant. No one cares. Women are equal--if they want to be.

Great post, CM!

Today is the 24th anniversary of the Rush Limbaugh Show,
and you don't get that far, if you aren't significant to both genders in different degrees, in my opinion. :)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OED48wRHOpI]The Rush Limbaugh Show 24th Anniversary - YouTube[/ame]

Anti-woman women. Amazing. Anti-feminist==opposed to equal rights/pay for women.

"Feminism is hated because women are hated. Anti-feminism is a direct expression of misogyny; it is the political defense of women hating."

Andrea Dworkin

Tis kind of thinking reminds me of the "pro abortion = opposed to children. Why do you hate children" bs that is frequently trotted out. It is truly amazing that in a supposedly clean zone, such trolling is permitted.

Hmmm, well, looks like some disagree but I still say that REAL Americans fighting for EQUAL RIGHTS for ALL Americans is never and will never be "irrelevant".

JMO, but this is not and will never a "partisan" question or issue.

No matter who you voted for, its a very basic AMERICAN value - Equal Rights For ALL Americans.

Hmmm, well, looks like some disagree but I still say that REAL Americans fighting for EQUAL RIGHTS for ALL Americans is never and will never be "irrelevant".

No matter who you voted for, its a very basic AMERICAN value - Equal Rights For ALL Americans.

I ask again, who opposes equal rights for all Americans? (edit: other than Americans who have forfeited some of their rights, such as felons)

Last edited:

Andrea Dworkin

Tis kind of thinking reminds me of the "pro abortion = opposed to children. Why do you hate children" bs that is frequently trotted out. It is truly amazing that in a supposedly clean zone, such trolling is permitted.

I think that's just a weapon. If you are in favor of basic reproductive rights for women (as well as for men - WHY are they NEVER responsible for pregnancies???)

Anyway, if you are in favor of equal rights, then you must hate children.

Its like the holy rollers at your front door. They have these scripted replies that are designed to get you off guard and keep you there.

Fact is, they really don't have an opinion -- Other that the one they were given. A lot like Mittens.

If we are talking ONLY about the op, "Is feminism irrelevant?", the answer will always be NO because, equal rights is a basic tenet of American belief.

We still don't have complete pay equity between women and men. We continually struggle to keep reproductive rights for women.

The ERA bombed. What is the relevance of feminism today?

Surely we can't have lost it to Limbaugh's Feminazi Rhetoric.

Are we ready for a woman President?

Discuss.

1. too many women I know are still subject to bullying abuse based on gender, and more prone to have perceptions and opinions devalued by EITHER men OR OTHER WOMEN who aren't aware how easy this is to do. there is something in our socialization that perpetuates the habit of letting men/boys speak out of turn and impose their opinions, while women are expected to ask or speak in private etc. I see this happen all the time, even among individuals and with groups which CLAIM to be sensitive about gender issues; it is a flaw in our social conditioning.

2. as for a woman "president" the system itself of electing representatives depends too much on bullying by majority rule by partisan politics. more women serve in positions that are "appointed" rather than elected. so unless we overcome that bias which makes people unequal in general, people who can't afford the political and financial leverage to get elected have just had to find ways to serve in unelected roles to get work done, while those who play the politics take turns fighting to credit or discredit themselves. this game is independent of gender, and precludes leaders of either gender from elected positions! the politics is patriarchal in design, but it discriminates against both men and women.

Last edited:
The loss in income for women due to pay inequality adds up to an average of $383,000 over a lifetime. That is $383,000 of lost buying power for almost half the population of the United States; not to mention that (forgive the stereotype) women are major influencers of buying decisions and often big shoppers.
Sanjay Sanghoee: Why Gay Marriage and Women's Rights Are Critical for the Elections

And, its women who get stuck paying for everything for their children if their marriage fails and the children's father chooses to ignore the court ordered child support. Next, we will hear about how the mothers can take their ex to court but look how well that has worked for teepotter Joe Walsh who has said he can't pay because he makes ONLY $100+K a year. He even said he would vote against his kids staying on their mother's health insurance just because it came from the AFFORDABLE Care Act.

I am stunned that anyone could be against equal rights for women. Don't those people have wives? mothers? daughters? (No, I don't mean lushbo. I'm certain he does not have a mother and never has.)

RW women are against equal rights for women. I think they came out of petri dishes and don't have mothers, sisters, wives, nieces. These women think they have penises. They are male identified women.

I'm for, "may the best person for the job, get it."

Where it gets partisan is where people rally around pet issues per group or affiliation.

We can't fight every battle out there, so people pick their favorite to focus on.

One group may pick on the prochoice issue as defending that particular interest group from oppression by some other opposing group, and demand equal protection under law.

Another group does the same with gun rights as sacred territory the govt cannot touch.

People want equal rights where they see it affects their values they feel are threatened.
It's easy to recognize when you can relate to the issue or group.

It is harder to stand up for equal rights when you disagree with that group or issue.
Suddenly equal protection of the laws is something the other group has more of,
and you are the one fighting for your equal protection from the other oppressing it!

RW women are against equal rights for women. I think they came out of petri dishes and don't have mothers, sisters, wives, nieces. These women think they have penises. They are male identified women.

I'm for, "may the best person for the job, get it."

Absoluley.

And, black, white, brown, male, female, other === they all get paid the same for THAT job.

Women haters like MessiahRushie are just jealous of women because they feel inferior and feel the need to try to drag women down to their level.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTDvCLAT8hg]Man Smart, Woman Smarter (live) - Harry Belafonte - YouTube[/ame]

evidently you all aren't ready for a woman President...you had a chance and they ended up kicking her to the curb for A MAN..

as for the rest..not all women think they are being denied anything..just the feminizes are never happy no matter..rather sad

evidently you all aren't ready for a woman President...you had a chance and they ended up kicking her to the curb for A MAN..

as for the rest..not all women think they are being denied anything..just the feminizes are never happy no matter..rather sad

Well, I don't know what a "feminizes" is but I do know that it makes sense to vote for the most qualified candidate.

Some will suck up to scum like lushbo and that's their right. More intelligent voters will not and THAT is their choice as well.

Go where your conscience leads you.

We still don't have complete pay equity between women and men. We continually struggle to keep reproductive rights for women.

The ERA bombed. What is the relevance of feminism today?

Surely we can't have lost it to Limbaugh's Feminazi Rhetoric.

Are we ready for a woman President?

Discuss.

The ERA bombed because it was redundant. Women were already protected as citizens of the United States under the 14th amendment.

Yes we are ready for a woman President and we have been for a long time. They just havent won yet.

Pelosi 2012!

Choosing Obama over H. Clinton was not a choice of MAN over WOMAN. It was based on who presented a better argument in the debates and WHO the Dems thought could beat McCain.

I also think the idea that we would go from Bush to Clinton to Bush to Clinton may have been a little too elitist sounding for some. A bit like an American aristocracy. So that may have played a role as well.

Its a shame that you should think that Hilary was kicked to the curb because of her gender. She was NOT kicked to the curb. The Dems still have great respect for Hilary and if she chose to run again in 2016, they would most likely rally around her as there seem to be no new Dem leaders rising at this time.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back