The Relevance of Feminism Now

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by Sky Dancer, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Sky Dancer

Sky Dancer BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,164
    We still don't have complete pay equity between women and men. We continually struggle to keep reproductive rights for women.

The ERA bombed. What is the relevance of feminism today?

Surely we can't have lost it to Limbaugh's Feminazi Rhetoric.

Are we ready for a woman President?

Discuss.

2. catzmeow

catzmeow BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,974
    Pay is determined by market factors, not gender. As long as women continue to opt out of education and choose fields like education and nursing versus medicine and engineering, they will be paid less. Women with college degrees in urban areas earn more than their male peers. Women who want to earn more than men already can.

Feminism is unnecessary at this point in time. The gender war is over. Women won.

Rush Limbaugh has a constitutionally protected right to self-expression, but his opinions are basically irrelevant. No one cares. Women are equal--if they want to be.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  3. Sky Dancer

Sky Dancer BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,164
    There continues to be a disproportionately low number of women in politics, we still have gender stereotyping in advertising, rape and domestic violence continue to thrive.

Feminism is still relevant.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  4. Politico

Politico Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,491
    None.....

5. catzmeow

catzmeow BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,974
    Maybe we have disproportionately low numbers of women in politics because women are generally too smart to get into the pigpen and play with the pigs.

I don't consider these issues which require a movement to solve. I think your generation of feminists needs to go gently into that good night and retire from service.

Most women no longer relate to your movement, and don't wish to be portrayed as victims of male patriarchy.

6. Luddly Neddite

Luddly Neddite Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,829
    Women are still paid less than men FOR THE SAME WORK and the current war on women by the right will keep it that way for a long time to come.

Blacks got the vote before women did and people of any and all color AND women are still considered second class citizens. I don't expect to see a woman president any time soon.

There will always be racists and there will always be people who want to control women's reproduction, birth control and pay.

Will there ever be a time when equal rights for ALL humans, ALL Americans is irrelevant? I don't think so.

On the plus side, there's this -

Arizona's new abortion law blocked by court

7. catzmeow

catzmeow BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,974
    There are mechanisms in place to challenge this issue in civil court and win major settlements.

The war on women is hyperbole designed to scare women into voting for partisan morons. I don't buy it from either side.

There are any number of women I'd vote for in a presidential election, sadly, most of them are too smart and ethical to run.

And there will be race hustlers and professional female victims who whine about discrimination versus getting out there and handling their business. The race hustlers and professional victims are only flogging their own relevance, they aren't helping women like me.

8. Sky Dancer

Sky Dancer BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,164
    The loss in income for women due to pay inequality adds up to an average of $383,000 over a lifetime. That is $383,000 of lost buying power for almost half the population of the United States; not to mention that (forgive the stereotype) women are major influencers of buying decisions and often big shoppers.
    Sanjay Sanghoee: Why Gay Marriage and Women's Rights Are Critical for the Elections

9. Pho_King

Pho_King BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +104
    Women make just as much, and often more, than men, when one accurately compares salary and performance and experience.

10. Luddly Neddite

Luddly Neddite Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,829
    catzmeow
    My grandmother marched with the suffragettes. She knew Eleanor Roosevelt. They said the same thing to her.

Do you think they should have been obedient little girls and obeyed their wishes?