The Real intention of Separation of Church and State

Actually, let's look at the phrase....from Thomas Jefferson's Letter to the Danbury Baptists
Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between Man & his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legitimate powers of government reach actions only, & not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should "make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof," thus building a wall of separation between Church & State.
I'm not sure how you can read that as anything other than Jefferson believing that there was a Seperation based on the 1st ammendment even if the exact phrase isn't there. And since the 1st ammendment was partly based on Jefferson's own work, I'd give him the edge over you over correct interpretation.

Or would you like to share how Jefferson was wrong and the 1st ammendment doesn't create a wall of seperation?

Do we ever get any newbies around here who AREN'T dribbling idiots? ::sigh::

Actually, let's look at the phrase....from Thomas Jefferson's Letter to the Danbury Baptists
Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between Man & his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legitimate powers of government reach actions only, & not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should "make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof," thus building a wall of separation between Church & State.
I'm not sure how you can read that as anything other than Jefferson believing that there was a Seperation based on the 1st ammendment even if the exact phrase isn't there. And since the 1st ammendment was partly based on Jefferson's own work, I'd give him the edge over you over correct interpretation.

Or would you like to share how Jefferson was wrong and the 1st ammendment doesn't create a wall of seperation?

Do we ever get any newbies around here who AREN'T dribbling idiots? ::sigh::

Huh, I'm not seeing your point on the actual argument. If I'm an idiot then you could have refuted my point easily...unless you're more of an idiot. But since you didn't, I'm going to guess that you don't have a point...usually the case when people can only resort to insults.

And cue yet more personal insults and no attempt at all to refute my point.

Amendment 1 is pretty clear here. No laws mean no laws, for or against. In this context I see how a religious symbol should NOT be displayed in a public building even though it is not law but rather policy and government policy should fallow the same precedent as the law. This, however, also protects the right for others to practice their religion openly even on public land. The most obvious infringement on the right I can think of is the systematic and deliberate takedown of religious or bible groups at school. In that case it is the people that are running the religious displays, not the government or the representative of that government.

There's a difference between public land and government property. As soon as the government becomes involved in allowing or disallowing in any way, then it becomes the government's doings. And there are no prohibitions against religious or bible groups at school. The school and the teachers can't run them, though, because that becomes government involvement.

I agree. The problem is that there are provisions that stop school children from forming bible study and religious groups as school clubs. That is where the line has been crossed. At that point they are violating their rights to freely practice their religion. The ALCU has spearheaded the efforts to stop these groups from forming.
It was not put there to force God out so that secular groups can take over and call all of the shots.

Pretty much all school prayer cases were brought about by religious people, not atheists.

? Many of those lawsuits were brought by the ALCU and they can hardly be said to be the voice of religious people. They are mainly an atheist group. I may be incorrect but I can’t find any real support of this statement.

Forum List

Back