The Reagan in Romney

Listening

Gold Member
Aug 27, 2011
While some of my conservative colleagues are criticizing the Romney campaign for one thing or another, I want to make a distinct point that is largely being overlooked: Mitt Romney is the most fiscally conservative Republican standard-bearer since Ronald Reagan.

Looking back through his speeches, interviews, and programmatic proposals, I see an emphasis on economic freedom, free enterprise, low tax rates, deep federal spending cuts, and free trade, and a free-market approach to tough social problems, such as health care, education, and poverty. Meaning no disrespect to George W. Bush, John McCain, Robert Dole, and George H. W. Bush, not one of these former Republican leaders was the consistent and comprehensive free-market advocate that Romney has been.

Ah Larry Kudlow.....what a guy !

We are at the point where this country no longer wants these things because to many people stand to lose the cash from the government.

It's a darn shame that Romney didn't get here 12 years ago.

Reagan has got into Romney.

That's the pink vote going to Romney.
My gawd, that man will stoop to anything to get a few extra supporters.

While some of my conservative colleagues are criticizing the Romney campaign for one thing or another, I want to make a distinct point that is largely being overlooked: Mitt Romney is the most fiscally conservative Republican standard-bearer since Ronald Reagan.
And that statement makes you an idiot. Ron Paul is a republican...

I guess it depends which "Reagan" you are talking about.

The Reagan that Conservatives have made up in their own minds, or the one who was actually president from 1981-1989.

The one that actually existed comprimised with Democrats, raised taxes after realizing they had been cut too far, appointed moderates to SCOTUS, gave Amnesty to 3 million illegal aliens, occasionally did things that Israel didn't like (such as selling AWACs to the Saudis and throwing Jonathan Pollard in the Klink for life), made arms control deals with the Russians... and so on.

Romney certainly won't be that guy. Mostly because he won't get elected.

Then Romney will do what Reagan did, raise taxes eleven times and help keep Social Security solvent. Sounds fine with me.

Newsflash: Ronald Reagan Raised Taxes (You Idiots) | Firedoglake

"Faced with looming deficits, Reagan raised taxes again in 1983 with a gasoline tax and once more in 1984, this time by $50 billion over three years, mainly through closing tax loopholes for business. Despite the fact that such increases were anathema to conservatives–and probably cost Reagan’s successor, George H.W. Bush, reelection–Reagan raised taxes a grand total of four times just between 1982-84."

Looking back through his speeches, interviews, and programmatic proposals, I see an emphasis on economic freedom, free enterprise, low tax rates, deep federal spending cuts, and free trade, and a free-market approach to tough social problems, such as health care, education, and poverty. Meaning no disrespect to George W. Bush, John McCain, Robert Dole, and George H. W. Bush, not one of these former Republican leaders was the consistent and comprehensive free-market advocate that Romney has been.

We are at the point where this country no longer wants these things because to many people stand to lose the cash from the government.

All were/are evangelists in the church of government has the answers.

So Romney will nearly double the debt like Reagan did?

There are no free-market approaches to tough social problems, such as health care, education, and poverty. Because there is no such thing as a free market. All markets are constructed. Think of the stock exchange. It has rules. Every market has rules.

Yep, he wants to cut taxes for the rich, increase defense spending, and pretend that will balance the budget.

The Reagan that Conservatives have made up in their own minds, or the one who was actually president from 1981-1989.

The one that actually existed comprimised with Democrats, raised taxes after realizing they had been cut too far, appointed moderates to SCOTUS, gave Amnesty to 3 million illegal aliens, occasionally did things that Israel didn't like (such as selling AWACs to the Saudis and throwing Jonathan Pollard in the Klink for life), made arms control deals with the Russians... and so on.

Maybe you missed the term "pragmatic proposals" ?

In the end, Reagan did a lot of things I didn't agree with. If you read Eyewitness to Power by David Gergen, you get a sense of what happened during that time.

Romney will come at compromise from a conservative perspective.

Reagan was charismatic and was able to connect with voters. And he wasn't "conservative" in the modern sense of the word.

Mitt Romney? The funny never ends.

Obama was charismatic and look what we got! Charisma can be a fooler.

Correction.....Obama IS charismatic. Mitt isn't. Neither is Ryan.

You bet he is....

"You didn't build that....somebody else did" is enough to get a lot of people pretty excited about seeing him gone in January.

And anyone can get the leeches of society excited with the promise of more government goodies (i.e. Obamadollars).

Maybe you missed the term "pragmatic proposals" ?

In the end, Reagan did a lot of things I didn't agree with. If you read Eyewitness to Power by David Gergen, you get a sense of what happened during that time.

Romney will come at compromise from a conservative perspective.

I lived through the Reagan years.

But I'll agree, he was pragmatic. He realized that you couldn't deport 3 million people, so assimilating them was more practical. He realized Israel had its own agenda, and didn't kow-tow to them. (Another great example- when he went to Bittburg Cemetary and the Zionist Cabal was upset that there were like three Nazis buried there. He went anyway.)

Romney, well, he seems intent on appeasing people who don't like or trust him..

Obama was charismatic and look what we got! Charisma can be a fooler.

Correction.....Obama IS charismatic. Mitt isn't. Neither is Ryan.

You bet he is....

"You didn't build that....somebody else did" is enough to get a lot of people pretty excited about seeing him gone in January.

And anyone can get the leeches of society excited with the promise of more government goodies (i.e. Obamadollars).

Guy, guy, guy, this is just where you guys get stupid.

The majority of us actually work for the guys who think they built that, but really, we did.

Forum List

Back