The Policy Positions that Have My Vote Going to Obama

Discussion in 'Politics' started by IndependntLogic, Jun 22, 2012.

1. IndependntLogic

IndependntLogic Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +399
    I am an Independent. I voted for Reagan twice and Bush (the good one, not the idiot) twice. I strongly disapprove of a LOT Obama and the Dems have been up to over the years. So it's a matter of the lesser of two (or three) evils.

I really don't see much difference between Romney and Obama so for me, it comes down to 3 policy positions.

1. Too Big to Fail. Sure, the Dems contributed to the housing crisis. No dispute there. But Gramm-Leach-Bliley is what made the banks too big to fail. It undid Glass-Steagel and the very reasons we were given that AIG etc... couldn't be allowed to fail. The Dems tried to pass a stronger bill but the Repubs watered down Dodd-Frank etc... The Dems are again talking about strengthening DF / The Volcker Rule. The Dems and Romney have sworn to get rid of Dodd-Frank and replace it with.... nothing. WTF???

2. Offshoring Jobs and Revenues. The law that was originally passed to give legitimate deductions for a company moving from say, Ohio to SC, has given tremendous tax advantages for sending jobs overseas. The Dems want to clarify it and limit it to domestic moves only. The Repubs oppose this. Same with offshoring revenues. Right now, a product made in the USA, sold ONLY in the USA and ONLY to Americans, results in zero taxes through loopholes that allow techniques like the "Double Irish". The Dems want to close that loophole. Again, the Repubs oppose this.

So this is a thread about policy positions. Again, the extreme whackjobs on the Left or Right will just sling insults because they're so weak and lacking in knowledge on the issues, it's all they have. I'd love to see some decent posts on how policy positions influence voting decisions. I wish there were more people who think that way but even a few would be a refreshing change of pace from the usual.

2. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221

1. How did GLB make banks too big? Give details and actual examples of what you think happened so intelligent people might have a chance to either agree with you or point out what you are misunderstanding.
    2. That is complete BS, there is no tax break for moving jobs out of the country because the US is the only country in the world that charges income tax on foreign earnings when you move them back into the country.
    3. I thought you sad 3, did you forget how to count?
    This thread is actually about your delusions.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  3. Texanmike

Texanmike Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +88
    So wait. Taxing money that was made outside of the country, which will dissuade that money from ever coming back into the country, is a good idea?

Mike

4. IndependntLogic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +399
    Apparently you don't understand what " made in the USA, sold ONLY in the USA and ONLY to Americans" means.

5. Avorysuds

Avorysuds Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,141
    You could always be a real man and vote for someone you like, even if they can't win... If you vote for a problem, even if it's "lesser" then you are still part of the problem. You have more options than Dem/Rep, in fact you can vote for a different Dem than Obama and a different Rep than Mitt.

No one is forcing you to vote either way, in fact no one is forcing you to vote at all... This is not a "If I had to pick one" situation.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. flacaltenn

flacaltenn USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13,421
    I stopped reading at:::

Figured that about quantified the accuracy of whatever psychic prediction this was gonna be..

7. IndependntLogic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +399
    I agree with that. I have never seen a politician I agreed with on everything - or even one that I didn't have several disagreements with.
    I don't see anything about Romney worth voting for. I am a firm statist, so am diametrically opposed to the basic ideology of Libertarian candidates.
    So while I'm not thrilled with either party and have the pipe dream that a 3rd Common Sense party would gain some real power, at this point, Obama and the Dems hold the policy positions I feel are best on the issues I feel are most important.

8. Texanmike

Texanmike Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +88
    No. I understand that quite well. I don't understand what you are promoting though. If you want to require people to make things here and sell them here then you need to make it illegal to import things into this country. Of course, that will result in nobody buying our exports and us not having things like lithium, which is not abundant in the US.

Mike

9. Texanmike

Texanmike Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +88
    What part of the Libertarian ideology do you have a problem with? Why?

Mike

10. Avorysuds

Avorysuds Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,141
    Fair enough, I hope I'm never arrogant enough to tell you or anyone who they should vote for.

You do realize that the only way a third party will ever come about is if people vote for them yes?

If Obama is going to win, it will be without your vote being the deciding vote. If enough people vote for a third party to actually cause Obama to lose you will be looking at a formidable third party by the next election.