The Pentagon’s $10-billion bet gone bad

yes all you could do is make it as competitive as possible

$10 billion over a decade is $1 billion a year in failed R&D

Those projects are exceptionally futuristic and high risk. This is what we called Star Wars technology under Reagan. R&D like that is rarely 100% successful or 100% failure. Not being 100% successful does not mean the project was a 100% failure

You may not end up with a deployable defense system but you still learn things and develop new technologies that may be used in the next weapons system or in the civilian world

yes silly liberals called it Star Wars to mock it and now it is a critical defense system and will become more so in the future as weapons proliferate.

It still can't be done today 35 years after Reagan proposed it

Big ships are protected and Israel is protected with Iron Dome. The progress has been slow but huge.
Iron Dome works great but it is not space based like Reagan proposed.

Still not Star Wars

1) who cares if its space based????????
2) West Coast is actually protected by a limited ballistic-missile defense system based primarily around satellites, in space.

$10 billion over a decade is $1 billion a year in failed R&D

Those projects are exceptionally futuristic and high risk. This is what we called Star Wars technology under Reagan. R&D like that is rarely 100% successful or 100% failure. Not being 100% successful does not mean the project was a 100% failure

You may not end up with a deployable defense system but you still learn things and develop new technologies that may be used in the next weapons system or in the civilian world

yes silly liberals called it Star Wars to mock it and now it is a critical defense system and will become more so in the future as weapons proliferate.

It still can't be done today 35 years after Reagan proposed it

Big ships are protected and Israel is protected with Iron Dome. The progress has been slow but huge.
Iron Dome works great but it is not space based like Reagan proposed.

Still not Star Wars

1) who cares if its space based????????
2) West Coast is actually protected by a limited ballistic-missile defense system based primarily around satellites, in space.

Space based is the only way to knock out ICBMs

Even Reagan knew that

Even Reagan knew that

1) who cares?????????? what is your subject??
2) now they are thinking lasers right after launch before MIRV's are deployed in space.
Where are the lasers staged?

The main laser, located in a turret on the aircraft nose, could be fired for 3 to 5 seconds, causing the missile to break up in flight near the launch area. The ABL was not designed to intercept TBMs in the terminal, or descending, flight phase. Thus, the ABL would have had to have been within a few hundred kilometers of the missile launch point. All of this would have occurred in approximately 8 to 12 seconds.[citation needed]

who knows and who cares??

Last edited:
duplicity is also a trademark of the pentagone

RqWSfx7.gif

Even Reagan knew that

2) now they are thinking lasers right after launch before MIRV's are deployed in space.

The main laser, located in a turret on the aircraft nose, could be fired for 3 to 5 seconds, causing the missile to break up in flight near the launch area. The ABL was not designed to intercept TBMs in the terminal, or descending, flight phase. Thus, the ABL would have had to have been within a few hundred kilometers of the missile launch point. All of this would have occurred in approximately 8 to 12 seconds.[citation needed]

So you have to deploy laser equipped planes to every potential ICBM site including submarines at the time of launch for it to work?

Even Reagan knew that

So you have to deploy laser equipped planes to every potential ICBM site including submarines at the time of launch for it to work?

well I suppose there are many deployment platforms so that would not be necessary but SAC used to keep B-52 in the air all the time so they were always close to target and could not get caught on ground.

Even Reagan knew that

well I suppose there are many deployment platforms so that would not be necessary but SAC used to keep B-52 in the air all the time so they were always close to target and could not get caught on ground.

In the air in enemy territory? I don't thinks so

In the air in enemy territory? I don't thinks so

they would fly as close as possible then turn back. there was always fear that human error would cause one plane one day to complete the mission by mistake.

kaz said:
You have to pay people more when they don't work than when they do? Explain how that works.

One third of the Federal Workforce was sent home during the Republican shutdown

They were paid for not working

No shit vagina. I mean Virginia.

I know you're stupid and all, but that isn't the question. I've explained this to you several times. You stated the government spent $26 billion MORE when it was shut down than when it operated.

I keep asking how they can spend more money to not operate than to operate. You keep coming back with employees were paid even though they didn't work. OK, but that isn't spending MORE money. How do you not grasp that?

kaz said:
You have to pay people more when they don't work than when they do? Explain how that works.

I know you're stupid and all, but that isn't the question. I've explained this to you several times. You stated the government spent $26 billion MORE when it was shut down than when it operated.

I keep asking how they can spend more money to not operate than to operate. You keep coming back with employees were paid even though they didn't work. OK, but that isn't spending MORE money. How do you not grasp that?

Show where I said they spent $26 Billion more?

I said it cost $26 Billion per GAO

kaz said:

So your argument was that federal employees didn't sit and push paper and we lost all that bureaucracy? That's what you were arguing? All the wonderful things federal employees sitting in office buildings do for us? That's what you were arguing this whole time?

Just wow. OMG, we lost THAT! String up the Republicans, that is just EVIL! We paid for bureaucracy we didn't get! O-M-G!

:lmao:

I couldn't make you up

kaz said:

So your argument was that federal employees didn't sit and push paper and we lost all that bureaucracy? That's what you were arguing? All the wonderful things federal employees sitting in office buildings do for us? That's what you were arguing this whole time?

Just wow. OMG, we lost THAT! String up the Republicans, that is just EVIL! We paid for bureaucracy we didn't get! O-M-G!

:lmao:

I couldn't make you up

Like it or not, there was a job to do and Republicans paid them not to do it

I work for DoD as a contractor and saw the Federal Employees sent home. We had to defer important testing that had been planned for a year. People deployed around the country were sent home even though their job wasn't done

All because of Republican butthurt over Obamacare

But then again, all you care about is the parks

Like it or not, there was a job to do and Republicans paid them not to do it

Those papers weren't going to push themselves and the economy wasn't going to crush itself with regulation, ay big guy? LOL, you're a tool.

And you are full of shit. Obama shut er down over leftists causes, you don't give a shit. Just another lame, hypocritical hack leftist attack for the cause.

Republicans and Democrats couldn't agree. Well duh, dar, that's the job of the Republicans to cave. Yeah.

So...the Pentagon wasted $10 billion in an attempt to develop state of the art R&D to keep us safer

The Republicans wasted $26 Billion in a Government shutdown because they were still butthurt over Obamacare

All because of Republican butthurt over Obamacare

So being against something is "butt hurt?" That is your standard? So your pro-choice position is just butt hurt over abortion laws? Being against Iraq is just your butt hurt over Iraq?

But then again, all you care about is the parks

My point was Obama intentionally played politics. That was pretty clear

I work for DoD as a contractor and saw the Federal Employees sent home. We had to defer important testing that had been planned for a year. People deployed around the country were sent home even though their job wasn't done

Also a tip, I'd stop letting them test on you. Seriously

Forum List

Back