The Origin of Life

DOTR

Gold Member
Oct 24, 2016
It is undeniable that life started once on Earth. Only once. A one time event never repeated.
What are the implications of that fact?

It is undeniable that life started once on Earth. Only once. A one time event never repeated.
It is deniable. It may have started more than once, or it may have come from an outside source.

It is deniable. It may have started more than once, or it may have come from an outside source.

Whatever or whichever. As far as Earth is concerned life took hold exactly once. A little odd isn’t it?

Whatever or whichever. As far as Earth is concerned life took hold exactly once. A little odd isn’t it?
One is an odd number.... It's is also the loneliest number.

Why?

there is an approximate time life began on Earth that for all intense and purpose has never stooped - are you saying that process could not still be possible. it may have been due to extreme ideal conditions that are no longer present due in part to the life that did evolve.

since 98% of all creatures went extinct.

Where did all the new creatures come from?

I find it incredibly imposable that all mammals came from saber toothed moles.

Funny image :)

there is an approximate time life began on Earth that for all intense and purpose has never stooped - are you saying that process could not still be possible. it may have been due to extreme ideal conditions that are no longer present due in part to the life that did evolve.

Im not saying that the process isn't still possible. I'm saying that it isn't happening...possible or not. And that leads to some very interesting speculations.
Science lags in the popular mind no matter what they tell you. We are long past Darwin's "warm little pond". Didnt happen that way. We are past thinking that it was an amazing one in a gazillion chance that took place after billions of years of bumping and cooking and shuffling molecules. We now know life was established for 90% of the history of the Earth if not more. Blink of an eye almost...within a few hundred million years of Earth's cooling off.

And we know it happened once and only once on Earth. Never before and never since. (The ones to watch and read on this are Nick Lane and Peter Mitchell.) ATP Synaphase is the key to this idea. As important to biology as the speed of light is to physics.
And, for other reasons, we can be fairly sure there is no life anywhere else in the Universe. I'll leave that alone for now though.
Buy why only once? Thats the question with philosophical ramifications to me. Scientifically it is unexpected. As you said "whats changed"? And as far as I know there are no theories addressing it.

Last edited:

Im not saying that the process isn't still possible. I'm saying that it isn't happening...possible or not. And that leads to some very interesting speculations.
Science lags in the popular mind no matter what they tell you. We are long past Darwin's "warm little pond". Didnt happen that way. We are past thinking that it was an amazing one in a gazillion chance that took place after billions of years of bumping and cooking and shuffling molecules. We now know life was established for 90% of the history of the Earth if not more. Blink of an eye almost...within a few hundred million years of Earth's cooling off.

And we know it happened once and only once on Earth. Never before and never since. (The ones to watch and read on this are Nick Lane and Peter Mitchell.) ATP Synaphase is the key to this idea. As important to biology as the speed of light is to physics.
And, for other reasons, we can be fairly sure there is no life anywhere else in the Universe. I'll leave that alone for now though.
Buy why only once? Thats the question with philosophical ramifications to me. Scientifically it is unexpected. As you said "whats changed"? And as far as I know there are no theories addressing it.
You seem to know things that are not knowable. In other words, assumptions,not facts.

You seem to know things that are not knowable. In other words, assumptions,not facts.

Ive asked for assumptions..implications...philosophical speculations...based on what we do know. If you dont have any then whats the use? Move along.

All life today can be traced back to a common ancestor but there is no reason to believe it was the only life. There may have been many successful beginnings even though only one line survived. It is also possible that more than one line became incorporated as pieces of the cell that we know today.

Probably not relevant to the OP since either evolution or God could be the source of what we see today.

Ive asked for assumptions..implications...philosophical speculations...based on what we do know. If you dont have any then whats the use? Move along.
But you start by stating “facts” that are not known to be facts.

Did biogenesis occur one time and only one time on Earth? I don’t know the answer to that.

since 98% of all creatures went extinct.

Where did all the new creatures come from?

I find it incredibly imposable that all mammals came from saber toothed moles.
upload_2017-12-1_18-8-21.png

Life is considered to be continuous.
An assumption to be questioned.
I did and it's right.
Okay...have fun with your unverifiable facts.

Life is considered to be continuous.
An assumption to be questioned.
I did and it's right.
Okay...have fun with your unverifiable facts.
Do you know of anyone besides yourself who believes life has been interrupted? As in not continuous?

Forum List

Back