The only law that will disarm criminals, is a TOTAL BAN on guns, followed by confiscation

He allowed access.

And you know this how?

That's very common, especially in the South.

Perhaps. I knew from elementary school where Dad's guns were. Never for a moment in my wildest dreams did I consider touching them without his permission.

Perhaps it's not the guns after all.

Still, we as a Society have decided we don't want adults giving children cigarettes, alcohol, fireworks, etc...

There are serious safety concerns involved. If you're gonna hand a child a firearm, you need to go through a more stringent monitored process. Maybe a special license or something. There has to be more accountability. And i think age restrictions are probably necessary now. A 9yr old doesn't need a firearm. I strongly support the 2nd Amendment, but there's room for reasonable compromise.

What if the NRA and the gun nuts stop standing on the neck of the CDC and allow a thorough study of gun violence, its causes and solutions?

Then we might be able to craft effective legislation.

Unless the NRA simply wants more gun violence in order to sell more guns, causing more gun violence, and the sale of more guns.

How does studying gun violence make the guns go away, Holmes?
How does studying anything help you understand it better? We have institutions here in our human society called SCHOOLS. Schools are places people attend and there they study things. People get an intellectual handle on those things so they may understand them better and, in most cases, develop solutions for problems based on that intellectual handle.

Perhaps you would benefit by attending a school.

He allowed access.

And you know this how?

Perhaps. I knew from elementary school where Dad's guns were. Never for a moment in my wildest dreams did I consider touching them without his permission.

Still, we as a Society have decided we don't want adults giving children cigarettes, alcohol, fireworks, etc...

There are serious safety concerns involved. If you're gonna hand a child a firearm, you need to go through a more stringent monitored process. Maybe a special license or something. There has to be more accountability. And i think age restrictions are probably necessary now. A 9yr old doesn't need a firearm. I strongly support the 2nd Amendment, but there's room for reasonable compromise.

Still, where in this case is there an indication that the father gave this child a firearm?

I had a rifle at age 9, as did my son. It was properly stored in both cases.

The problem is a lack of moral training in modern society, not the guns themselves. This kind of behavior in society was extremely rare among children and adults alike prior to the mid-20th Century.

What if the NRA and the gun nuts stop standing on the neck of the CDC and allow a thorough study of gun violence, its causes and solutions?

Unless the NRA simply wants more gun violence in order to sell more guns, causing more gun violence, and the sale of more guns.

How does studying anything help you understand it better?

What can be said or studied that has not been said or studied ad infinitum?

The problem is not guns, but the failure of modern society to understand human nature, and that it has dispensed with all effective moral training.

Relativity sounds fair, but prevents nothing.

The liberals have made countless laws restricting guns. Some places are even called "gun free zones" by them. Yet that is where nearly all of the mass shootings take place.

It is becoming increasingly clear that their laws don't work.

Some of them have even admitted frankly that the only countries that have managed to reduce these mass shootings, are the ones that enact a virtual 100% ban on guns in civilian hands: England, China, Japan, Australia, etc. The fact that crime continues to increase in most of those countries, is carefully not examined by the liberals.

And yet, with the evidence before them, they continue to push for more gun laws. It's obvious what their real goal is: Knowing the laws they call for won't work, they want the 100% ban in this country, too.

And even that 100% ban will only work if we also enact a massive police state, where squads of armed police regularly invade and search every house, looking for guns.

Keep this in mind the next time some politician calls for "reasonable gun restrictions" or some other tired talking point. He knows it won't work. But it's the next step he wants on the way to his real goal.

What other reason could he have for continuing to push for more gun laws?

You are quite incorrect. No degree of suppressive government can disarm criminals. Even if a 100% confiscation were successfully executed, criminals would still have the ability to create their own guns. Let's not forget, firearms are a nearly 1000 year old technology.

He allowed access.

And you know this how?

Still, where in this case is there an indication that the father gave this child a firearm?

The problem is a lack of moral training in modern society, not the guns themselves. This kind of behavior in society was extremely rare among children and adults alike prior to the mid-20th Century.

9yr olds don't need firearms. But if you believe they do, then i think it's logical and reasonable for you to go through a more stringent monitored process before providing firearm access to a child.

We currently have reasonable and logical restrictions on adults giving children cigarettes, alcohol, fireworks etc... I see no reason why we shouldn't apply the same approach to giving children firearms.

The problem is not guns, but the failure of modern society to understand human nature, and that it has dispensed with all effective moral training.

Why does America suffer disproportionally from gun violence? What has been the effect of flooding our nation with guns? How do the mentally frazzled obtain guns? What type of guns are used most often in instances of gun violence? How has the advent of semi-automatic firing systems coupled with high capacity ammunition magazines effected mass shooting incidents? Are guns in a home a greater potential danger than not having guns at home? How are guns in homes secured? What are the true numbers of accidental shootings compared with intentional shootings?

Can it be truly said precisely what the problem with guns is? Are we arguing from anecdote and hammer headed political stances, or facts and truths?

The NRA must stop blocking gun violence studies.

The liberals have made countless laws restricting guns. Some places are even called "gun free zones" by them. Yet that is where nearly all of the mass shootings take place.

Some of them have even admitted frankly that the only countries that have managed to reduce these mass shootings, are the ones that enact a virtual 100% ban on guns in civilian hands: England, China, Japan, Australia, etc. The fact that crime continues to increase in most of those countries, is carefully not examined by the liberals.

And yet, with the evidence before them, they continue to push for more gun laws. It's obvious what their real goal is: Knowing the laws they call for won't work, they want the 100% ban in this country, too.

And even that 100% ban will only work if we also enact a massive police state, where squads of armed police regularly invade and search every house, looking for guns.

Keep this in mind the next time some politician calls for "reasonable gun restrictions" or some other tired talking point. He knows it won't work. But it's the next step he wants on the way to his real goal.

Ya, how'd Prohibition do banning and destroying alcohol? Illicit drugs? Bans don't work.

Why does America suffer disproportionally from gun violence?

Why does Japan suffer disproportionally from charcoal burning suicide? Why does Iraq suffer disproportionately from bomb violence?

Every culture has it's preferred modes to exact various end products. No matter how much liberals insist on obsessing over the mode, you will never escape that the end product will still be effected.

Yeah, that would do it...because criminals always obey the law! ROFLOL!

Marijuana was banned and is still either banned or highly regulated.

Yet 26 million pounds of just marijuana are illegally smuggled into the United States every year.

Even if firearms were banned and every gun was confiscated...criminals would have guns. Only law abiding citizens would be disarmed.

Why does America suffer disproportionally from gun violence?

Why does Japan suffer disproportionally from charcoal burning suicide? Why does Iraq suffer disproportionately from bomb violence?

Every culture has it's preferred modes to exact various end products. No matter how much liberals insist on obsessing over the mode, you will never escape that the end product will still be effected.
Saying that America has a love affair with guns and the resulting violence is merely a byproduct of that love affair is both irresponsible and foolishly simplistic. It is unacceptable that students get killed, innocent children die, populations in cities must be shot and people needlessly die because some Americans have had pleasurable e peri ended with guns and admire the bravado guns provide to the delusional and the irresponsible.

Yet 26 million pounds of just marijuana are illegally smuggled into the United States every year.

Even if firearms were banned and every gun was confiscated...criminals would have guns. Only law abiding citizens would be disarmed.
26 million pound imported? Ar you sure? Isn't most of the marijuana consumed in America grown in America?

Do guns grow like marijuana?

26 million pound imported? Ar you sure? Isn't most of the marijuana consumed in America grown in America?

Do guns grow like marijuana?

"Calculating the total amount of marijuana available in a given year based on the amount seized during that year necessarily provides only a rough estimate. If only 10 percent of illicit drugs are seized in any given year, then, based on the figure of 2,412,365 pounds of marijuana seized in 2002, one could estimate that in 2002 the total amount of marijuana that traffickers succeeded in smuggling into the country was roughly 24 million pounds, or about 10,889 metric tons. If one doubles that amount to take into account the domestic production of marijuana that was not seized, then the total amount would be closer to 22,000 metric tons."(30)

The Supply of Marijuana to the United States
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Give me one hour, I'll make you a gun. Me personally. That one hour includes the trip to the local hardware store.

He allowed access.

And you know this how?

9yr olds don't need firearms. But if you believe they do, then i think it's logical and reasonable for you to go through a more stringent monitored process before providing firearm access to a child.

We currently have reasonable and logical restrictions on adults giving children cigarettes, alcohol, fireworks etc... I see no reason why we shouldn't apply the same approach to giving children firearms.

Interesting. You skipped over the most salient part of my reply.

How does studying anything help you understand it better? We have institutions here in our human society called SCHOOLS. Schools are places people attend and there they study things. People get an intellectual handle on those things so they may understand them better and, in most cases, develop solutions for problems based on that intellectual handle.

Perhaps you would benefit by attending a school.

Um...I didn't say studying gun violence doesn't tell you anything about gun violence, I said it doesn't get rid of the guns. Studying solar flares doesn't get rid of solar flares.

I mean duh. What grade did you drop out?

Why does America suffer disproportionally from gun violence? What has been the effect of flooding our nation with guns? How do the mentally frazzled obtain guns? What type of guns are used most often in instances of gun violence? How has the advent of semi-automatic firing systems coupled with high capacity ammunition magazines effected mass shooting incidents? Are guns in a home a greater potential danger than not having guns at home? How are guns in homes secured? What are the true numbers of accidental shootings compared with intentional shootings?

Can it be truly said precisely what the problem with guns is? Are we arguing from anecdote and hammer headed political stances, or facts and truths?

The NRA must stop blocking gun violence studies.

What studies have they blocked?

Please. Let them preach this all they want to. Just this week alone, Obama and Hillary have all but insured that no gun owner, hunter, collector, etc., will vote for any Democrat candidate. That's a lot of votes they have lost just this week.

Forum List

Back