The Olmec Stone Heads.

Besides, ocean travel at this point in our history seems a little far fetched, no?
The Vikings hitting England was a major milestone in our history....
They're finding more and more "far fetched" ocean travel between Asia and the Pacific Islands, and between Europe and the islands in the Atlantic. Maybe there were better mariners than we think.
We are talking almost 4000 years ago.
So? We are finding advanced civilizations in the M.E. older than that. If they could build giant monuments why couldn't they build a boat large enough to sail the ocean? The ocean "belt" current may have been known long before we "rediscovered it" in the 1500's.
Oh,I agree. We find new stuff all the time. Finding the Viking stuff up north was a huge blow. I am just going by what we actually understand and what we have found, not theories.
You also have to consider how scared people would have been. Like I said earlier, the Vikings hitting England was a big deal. At that time, conquest wasn't on everyones minds. At least from what we know. European records will show they were mind blown over the Vikings as well. And they were extremely advanced compared to the Viking savages.

Thor Heyderdahl's voyage somewhat proved such travel was possible.

Thor Heyerdahl’s Kon-Tiki Voyage - History in the Headlines
That was just few decades ago. We are talking before Jesus.
He did the voyage using pre-Columbian tools to build a pre-Columbian raft to prove his theory that travel between South America and Polynesia was possible.
You cant recreate mindsets, intelligence and culture.

Not all Olmec Art was the Olmec Giant heads.

A lot of Olmec Art looked East Asian.

hb_1979.206.1134.jpg

jade.jpeg
Olmec-Art-baby.jpg
There's a ruin somewhere in Peru? I think? with faces of all different races embedded in the walls. I've seen it on Ancient Aliens (don't laugh--I watch it sometimes for the ruins and stuff, not the alien theory).
It seems to me we have no choice but to conclude that there were world travelers there.

I agree about Ancient Aliens...it's got a lot of history, as long as you can ignore the weirdness.

Besides, ocean travel at this point in our history seems a little far fetched, no?
They're finding more and more "far fetched" ocean travel between Asia and the Pacific Islands, and between Europe and the islands in the Atlantic. Maybe there were better mariners than we think.
So? We are finding advanced civilizations in the M.E. older than that. If they could build giant monuments why couldn't they build a boat large enough to sail the ocean? The ocean "belt" current may have been known long before we "rediscovered it" in the 1500's.
Oh,I agree. We find new stuff all the time. Finding the Viking stuff up north was a huge blow. I am just going by what we actually understand and what we have found, not theories.
You also have to consider how scared people would have been. Like I said earlier, the Vikings hitting England was a big deal. At that time, conquest wasn't on everyones minds. At least from what we know. European records will show they were mind blown over the Vikings as well. And they were extremely advanced compared to the Viking savages.
Who was scared? The natives, the Vikings or the Europeans? I don't understand. Why were the Europeans mind blown about the Vikings?
You know the Vikings kept the Americas close to their vest because they were fishermen, right? How many fishermen tell you where their best fishing spot is? (Doesn't happen)

Who was scared? The natives, the Vikings or the Europeans? I don't understand. Why were the Europeans mind blown about the Vikings?
You know the Vikings kept the Americas close to their vest because they were fishermen, right? How many fishermen tell you where their best fishing spot is? (Doesn't happen)
Sailors used to be scared to go out to sea. If they couldn't see the coast line anymore, they would turn around.
BAck then they believed in huge sea monsters and the sun boiled the ocean. They didn't understand the shape of the earth. SO many things to consider....

The Vikings weren't scared. That's why they lead the way for oceanic travel. They believed the "Gods" were on their side. If they were going to leave for a raid, and it was storming, they wouldn't leave. If it was decent weather, it was on!

Not in the least! Ocean travel was quite common millennium before Columbus. Coca in Egypt is one indisputable example

Not in the least! Ocean travel was quite common millennium before Columbus. Coca in Egypt is one indisputable example
The coca wasn't completely verifiable. The only chemical from that mummy that 100% verifiable was nicotine. Egypt had nicotine. They just didn't have Tobacco.

The coca wasn't completely verifiable. The only chemical from that mummy that 100% verifiable was nicotine. Egypt had nicotine. They just didn't have Tobacco.

First, it's not just one isolated, contaminated mummy. Second, it was coca AND nicotine and it was found in the lungs and stomach of the mummies. It's obvious, the Egyptians traded with the Americas.

First, it's not just one isolated, contaminated mummy. Second, it was coca AND nicotine and it was found in the lungs and stomach of the mummies. It's obvious, the Egyptians traded with the Americas.
Can I get a link for that?

The main problem I personally have with the notion that ancient Egyptians would have valued cocoa or tobacco etc and they were indeed traded or brought from the America's on a rather regular basis, then how or why would they have not cultivated those things at some point?

Think about it. I know tobacco etc is grown in Africa now. They certainly would have certainly sought ways to cultivate it then. I mean they knew how to farm that is for sure. If they were setting off on regular trade with the America's, and they valued those things so much so that they buried them in tombs with mummies, would they have not just grown it here instead of fetching it from waaay over yonder?

There's a link from Wiki that covers this

Pre-Columbian trans-oceanic contact theories - Wikipedia

"A television show reported that examination of numerous Sudanese mummies undertaken by Balabanova mirrored what was found in the mummy of Henut Taui.[120] Balabanova suggested that the tobacco may be accounted for since it may have also been known in China and Europe, as indicated by analysis run on human remains from those respective regions. Balabanova proposed that such plants native to the general area may have developed independently, but have since gone extinct.[120]Other explanations include fraud, though curator Alfred Grimm of the Egyptian Museum in Munich disputes this.[120] Skeptical of Balabanova's findings, Rosalie David, Keeper of Egyptology at the Manchester Museum, had similar tests performed on samples taken from the Manchester mummy collection and reported that two of the tissue samples and one hair sample did test positive for nicotine.[120] Sources of nicotine other than tobacco and sources of cocaine in the Old World are discussed by the British biologist Duncan Edlin.[121]"

I can imagine that coca and nicotine were worth a fortune to the Egyptians.

Not on topic, but evidence of travels pre-Columbus is: 1421. The book is combination of detective story and historic novel and complies a massive amound or evidence, artifacts and DNA to back up its main thesis

New PBS Documentary, "1421: When China Discovered the World," Re-writes Global History in 2004 | PBS About

"A television show reported that examination of numerous Sudanese mummies undertaken by Balabanova mirrored what was found in the mummy of Henut Taui.[120] Balabanova suggested that the tobacco may be accounted for since it may have also been known in China and Europe, as indicated by analysis run on human remains from those respective regions. Balabanova proposed that such plants native to the general area may have developed independently, but have since gone extinct.[120]Other explanations include fraud, though curator Alfred Grimm of the Egyptian Museum in Munich disputes this.[120] Skeptical of Balabanova's findings, Rosalie David, Keeper of Egyptology at the Manchester Museum, had similar tests performed on samples taken from the Manchester mummy collection and reported that two of the tissue samples and one hair sample did test positive for nicotine.[120] Sources of nicotine other than tobacco and sources of cocaine in the Old World are discussed by the British biologist Duncan Edlin.[121]"

Not on topic, but evidence of travels pre-Columbus is: 1421. The book is combination of detective story and historic novel and complies a massive amound or evidence, artifacts and DNA to back up its main thesis

New PBS Documentary, "1421: When China Discovered the World," Re-writes Global History in 2004 | PBS About
What would your theory be as to why they would not have grown such valuable crops in Egypt instead of setting off on great journeys to bring it back from the Americas?

There is no historical data that shows that those things were grown anywhere in Africa prior to 1492. Unless, there is something.

Even if there was something, then those crops would have been abundant enough that there would be NO QUESTION. Meaning, those things would have certainly been cultivated and grown on a rather mass scale.

Right?

Something about it is missing and does not make sense in regards to the notion that those things were brought to Africa from the Americas.

Also, if they did do that on a regular basis and they decided the most efficient way was to import it and not cultivate it, and those things were brought to Egypt on a rather regular basis, then how did it take so long for so many to not know about the missing continent?

There are aspects about the mummies being buried with these things that are not fitting logically. Those are just two things.

Henut Taui - Wikipedia
Fairly short article I just found

What would your theory be as to why they would not have grown such valuable crops in Egypt instead of setting off on great journeys to bring it back from the Americas?

There is no historical data that shows that those things were grown anywhere in Africa prior to 1492. Unless, there is something.

Even if there was something, then those crops would have been abundant enough that there would be NO QUESTION. Meaning, those things would have certainly been cultivated and grown on a rather mass scale.

Right?

Something about it is missing and does not make sense in regards to the notion that those things were brought to Africa from the Americas.

Also, if they did do that on a regular basis and they decided the most efficient way was to import it and not cultivate it, and those things were brought to Egypt on a rather regular basis, then how did it take so long for so many to not know about the missing continent?

There are aspects about the mummies being buried with these things that are not fitting logically. Those are just two things.
From what I just now gathered, that one scientist is the one that found them. From a few mummies. Another scientist tried to go and re-test it and she couldn't. They weren't there.
Im not saying he is a fake but that raises eyebrows. For sure.
They have done tests on other mummies and found nothing but nicotine. Which is something they had.
I still cant fathom people traveling the ocean in 2000-100 AD give or take.
There is absolutely no other proof of ocean travel during that time other than tests this ONE guy made.

Right?

From what I just now gathered, that one scientist is the one that found them. From a few mummies. Another scientist tried to go and re-test it and she couldn't. They weren't there.
Im not saying he is a fake but that raises eyebrows. For sure.
They have done tests on other mummies and found nothing but nicotine. Which is something they had.
I still cant fathom people traveling the ocean in 2000-100 AD give or take.
There is absolutely no other proof of ocean travel during that time other than tests this ONE guy made.
Nicotine, from what I understand is in A LOT OF PLANTS.

6 Common Food with Nicotine Content | About Testing

Tomato

It has an average of 7.1 -7.3 ng/g wet weight. It means there is a 7.1 ng of nicotine in ever 1 gram of tomato. Findings also show that the nicotine level decreases as the tomato ripens. Tomato, belonging to the Solanaceae family, is found to possess a nicotine alkaloid called tomatine.

Eggplant

Eggplants (aubergines) have a concentration of 100 ng/g of nicotine. It is second highest next to tobacco among the nightshade family where nicotine alkaloids are commonly present. In simple terms, 10 kg of eggplant have the same nicotine content of a stick of cigarette.

Teas

According to research, green and black teas also contain small amounts of nicotine whether regular or decaffeinated. Studies show that black teas appears to have a non-detectable to 100ng /g nicotine concentration.

Peppers and Capsicums.

Peppers and capsicums also contain solanine and solanadine, nicotine alkaloids, just like the other nightshade family plants. Common peppers have a solanine concentration of 7.7 – 9.2 mg per 100 grams of serving.

Cauliflower

Surprisingly, even cauliflowers, which are not part of the nightshade family, also contain nicotine. Research findings gave cauliflower a nicotine content of 16.8 ng/g.

-------------------------

Again, there are just things that make little sense with the notion that ALL of these things were imported from the Americas without cultivating them if they were indeed so valuable.

Does it make sense?

After reading some stuff, I came across this is little piece of interesting information.

I came across this little piece about the Mali Empire. During the 1300s.

The Mali Empire: Perhaps more than coincidentally, North African sources describe what some consider to be visits to the New World by a Mali fleet in 1,311. (15) According to these sources, 400 ships from the Mali Empire discovered a land across the ocean to the West after being swept off course by ocean currents. Only one ship returned, and the captain reported the discovery of a western current to Prince Abubakari II; the off-course Mali fleet of 400 ships is said to have conducted both trade and warfare with the peoples of the western lands. It is claimed that Abubakari II abdicated his throne and set off to explore these western lands. In 1324, the Mali king Mansa Musa is said to have told the Arabic historian, Al-Umari that "his predecessors had launched two expeditions from West Africa to discover the limits of the Atlantic Ocean."

Old World - New World Contact.

Right?

Why aren't we growing coca and tobacco everywhere?

Right?

Why aren't we growing coca and tobacco everywhere?
We don't have to worry about it now.. We trade.
Back then, it would seem more feasible to learn how to grow it instead of rowing for a year.
Pure opinion, of course.

Forum List

Back