The no more states solution

Discussion in 'Israel and Palestine' started by Shusha, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Shusha

Shusha Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,544
    A third possibility for a solution to the conflict would be a "no more states" solution -- where the "occupied" territory is divided between the existing states of Israel, Jordan and Egypt.

One advantage to this might be the dispersing of the more extreme elements into a wider and more accepting population, hopefully reducing the conflict. It seems to me that many, many Arab Palestinians would be content with living in Jordan as part of the Jordanian peoples. (As with every solution, Gaza remains much more of a problem.) Another advantage might be international support for maintaining good relations between the three nations. And none of the countries will have to take on the entire population.

On the other hand, dispersal of extremist elements might turn countries like Jordan the other direction and create a larger war between Israel and Jordan.

And while many Palestinians, possibly even the majority, consider themselves to be no different than Syrians and Jordanians, this solution does prevent Palestinian self-determination.

Thoughts?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Onyx

Onyx Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,101
    That wouldn't be a no state solution. A no state solution would be anarchy, where both Israeli and Palestinians coexisted in a stateless society.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. teddyearp

teddyearp Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,785
    Here's my thoughts. It will not work.

Although Israel is constantly demonized for their 'blockade' of the Gaza strip, no one seems to mention nor demonize Egypt for their blockade of the portion of the Gaza strip that borders their country.

Egypt doesn't want anything to do with them.

At one time, 'Palestinians' living in the west bank were part of Jordan and even given Jordanian citizenship and passports. However, after the six day war and Arafat's creation of a new Palestinian peoples, they actually tried to take over the whole of Jordan from the Hashemite kingdom. Remember Black September?
    Link:Black September - Wikipedia

Jordan no longer wants anything to do with them.

And Jordan isn't demonized here for that either.

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. Toddsterpatriot

Toddsterpatriot Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,720
    Jordan and Egypt don't want Palestinian trouble makers.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. Dogmaphobe

Dogmaphobe Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13,357
    I think Gaza returning to Egypt and the west bank to Jordan is certainingly better than a two state solution.

Since the so-called "Palestinians" are a completely made up people, however, why not a three state solution? Gaza could be one state, the west bank another, and Israel the third. That way, when Gazan terrorists lob rockets into Israel, it would be considered an act of war, and Israel would only need to contend with them on that front. If the west bank needed defining as to territorial boundaries, that would be a separate issue. I see no reason for a bifurcated state as it leads to logistical difficulties, and the clans involved are different.

6. MJB12741

MJB12741 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,809
    Over & over again I have said basically the same thing. Israel must stop their damn Zionist agenda of placating Palestinian demands only to be rewarded with more hatred & rocket missiles & start treating the Palestinians like their own Arab brothers do in Arab countries where there is no Palestinian or Pali supporter hatred, complaints or condemnation. LET THERE BE PEACE ALREADY!

7. Shusha

Shusha Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,544

Sure. I don't disagree. BUT Jordan is not the same as the Jordan of 1967. Jordan has had a chance to grow and develop. And it might be possible to create a semi-autonomous state of Palestine with Jordanian federal jurisdiction that would both support Palestinian independence while providing some guidance and a measure of limitation.

In addition, Israel will continue to ally itself with Jordan -- so it will be the big guys Jordan and Israel who monitor and control any bad behavior on the part of the Palestinians. That is a huge shift from 1967.

And I wholeheartedly agree no one wants anything to do with Gaza. Most understandably.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. Shusha

Shusha Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,544
    Please weigh in on the "two state solution" thread that Lipush started. I'd love your input there. Both the pro-Israels and the pro-Palestine members seem to agree that is the best solution. We've even banged out a reasonable plan for territory and borders, and a few other things. Its the anti-Israel crowd that won't buy that chocolate.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. MJB12741

MJB12741 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,809
    Not a chance. Jordan wants nothing whatsoever to do with Palestinians. How relieved was Jordan to dump them on Israel to deal with after the 67 war.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. teddyearp

teddyearp Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,785
    Not meaning to split hairs, but Jordan didn't actually relinquish (in their mind if nothing else) the West Bank until 1988.

I just wish that Israel could get the control of the Temple Mount out of the hands of the Waqf without creating imagined problems. Because any 'problems' that would portend would be 'imagined'.

• Agree Agree x 3