The no more states solution

Discussion in 'Israel and Palestine' started by Shusha, Mar 18, 2017.

1. montelatici

montelatici Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,559
    Only the UK and Pakistan recognized the occupation of Palestine (WB) by Jordan. A Palestinian (former Palestinian soldier who had defended Palestine against the Zionists) assassinated Jordan's king in response to the annexation. The Palestinians disliked Jordanian occupation as much as Israeli occupation.

Egypt never annexed Palestine (Gaza).

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. yiostheoy

yiostheoy Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,000
    Ah murder ... yes ... the game of kings.

It is easy to give the order.

It is easy to pull the trigger.

It is easy to die.

It is hard to be the wife and kids of the dead man.

3. montelatici

montelatici Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,559
    Israel has perpetuated the conflict by continuing its occupation of the West Bank. Gaza and East Jerusalem without ever giving any indication that it would withdraw and allow the creation of a truly sovereign Palestinian state. In fact, in all of its offers it has demanded the permanent control of borders, air space and territorial see and the basing of occupation troops in Palestine forever. With the transfer of its population to the occupied territories it has made the establishment of a Palestinian state impossible, so now either Israel continues to be an Apartheid state, or it gives the vote to all the people it controls and becomes a secular, democratic state.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. yiostheoy

yiostheoy Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,000
    Spam bot.

Ignore list.

Eat sh!t and die, Spam Bot.

5. montelatici

montelatici Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,559
    Is that another death threat?

6. Shusha

Shusha Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,315
    My hunch is since many Palestinians feel there is no difference between them and their Syrian and Jordanian brothers and sisters, one of two things will happen -- either Jordan eventually absorbs them all and the West Bank becomes permanently part of Jordan or the Palestinians actually get their shit together and achieve a peaceful independence or semi-independence.

It seems to me -- and I think you agree -- that the Palestinians have fewer grievances against Jordan than against Israel and it shifts the psychological battle off the Arab Muslim vs Jew-the-eternal-enemy paradigm. It also makes this sort of an internal Arab/Muslim alliance issue which puts a different spin on things. I suspect the strongly aligned Arab/Muslim world is heading for a deep split between the extremists and the more moderate.

The risk taken, of course, is that the Jordanians have to be secure enough that the Palestinians wouldn't try to pull another coup d'etat -- either violently or politically. The risk is that when the split happens the Palestinians will fall to the side of the extremists. BUT I think that is much less likely to happen if we can take them off the us-against-the-Jews line.

Israel and the international community would have to strongly support Jordan. The problem is I'm not sure what we could do to sweeten the pot for Jordan. She doesn't have enough incentives, yet, to got this route.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Humanity

Humanity Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,280
    Yes,, I can see how this could work... I am not sure that either Palestinians or Israelis, perhaps more so Israel, would ever consider a solution...

However, what, exactly, are you proposing as the West Bank? Back to 1949 Armistice Line? To include East Jerusalem?

8. Shusha

Shusha Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,315
    More or less what I would have been proposing in the two state solution. Land swaps for major Jewish built up areas.

Jerusalem, of course, will be the sticky point. Always has been. I just can't see letting the Old City go for the Jewish people. I just can't. I think it is imperative that Israel retain sovereignty over the Old City and the Holy Place. What I would like to see in an ideal situation would be for Jerusalem to be divided more-or-less on lines of ethnicity as much as possible, with an access corridor of some sort to provide Palestinian/Jordanian guarantee of access and worship at Haram al-Sharif. But I honestly don't know if that is geographically possible. I assume it is, if people have the will to do it. I mean, they do the whole divided Holy Place in Hebron now, why not in Jerusalem too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. teddyearp

teddyearp Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,771
    Interesting. I have now researched the 1979 Egypt-Israel peace agreement and can find nothing of the sort. Maybe you can help with a credible source/link?

Furthermore, now that you mention that agreement, I will add what I did find:
    Just like Gaza.
    Oh but wait, there's more:
    So, unless you can link something substantial to prove your claim, I hope this is the end of the deflection to the Egypt-Israel peace agreement.

Oops, almost forgot my substantiation: Israel & Egypt Make Peace

10. teddyearp

teddyearp Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,771