The need to make churches pay tax

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course they are.

They all take in revenue and claim expenses. They just get a pass on taxes

As do other non-profits.

They are not a for profit organization, i.e. what most people consider "business"
As I said there should be no special status given to any business.
If you want to run a non profit business then all you have to do is show zero profit on your returns every year.

Not a business.

The business of religion is bigger than Apple and Google combined.

Denying that is almost as dumb as believing in the magic man in the sky

And here is the crux of your position. You are just an anti-religious bigot.

How progressive of you.

Not antireligious at all you can believe whatever you want and I can think it's stupid.

BUT that does not change the fact that by making laws that favor religions and giving them special tax treatment violates the first amendment

esp since they do not endorse the Johnson Amendment but Trump said he repealed it, it may be in the new tax cut , who knows.

Evangelical Faux Churches are popping up everywhere and they serve drinks under the pretense of "Communion". (we have on in our town)

Dan Johnson the Rep who just committed suicide used his home as a tax exempt church, not all were welcome, and they sold beer and drinks under the pretense of Communion, but he didn't quite sell beer, he lied and said it was a donation.

You can read and research the The Pope's Long Con , google it.

Since we can't maintain the division of Church and State, we need to start making churches pay tax, esp those Evan ones on TV.

I hope when the Dems get in and they will, they do this.

Faux preachers have abused this tax free status for far toooo long.

You want separation of church and state yet want them.to pay taxes say what?

esp since they do not endorse the Johnson Amendment but Trump said he repealed it, it may be in the new tax cut , who knows.

Evangelical Faux Churches are popping up everywhere and they serve drinks under the pretense of "Communion". (we have on in our town)

Dan Johnson the Rep who just committed suicide used his home as a tax exempt church, not all were welcome, and they sold beer and drinks under the pretense of Communion, but he didn't quite sell beer, he lied and said it was a donation.

Since we can't maintain the division of Church and State, we need to start making churches pay tax, esp those Evan ones on TV.

You do understand that making laws that give churches special treatment violates the first amendment don't you?

As do other non-profits.

They are not a for profit organization, i.e. what most people consider "business"
If you want to run a non profit business then all you have to do is show zero profit on your returns every year.

Not a business.

How progressive of you.

Not antireligious at all you can believe whatever you want and I can think it's stupid.

BUT that does not change the fact that by making laws that favor religions and giving them special tax treatment violates the first amendment

How does it violate the 1st if it applies to all religions?

How does it violate the 1st if the same things are granted to non-religious non-profits?

You have an axe to grind, stop trying to hide it. Again, very progressive of you.

Not a business.

How progressive of you.

How does it violate the 1st if the same things are granted to non-religious non-profits?

You have an axe to grind, stop trying to hide it. Again, very progressive of you.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

See that bold part?

The special tax treatment for religion is a law that respects establishments of religion by giving them special treatment

And those televangelists do pay taxes on their own incomes, it's the Church itself that's treated as non-profit.
Why should it be?

Non-profit battered women's shelters pay property taxes. Churches don't. Why shouldn't they?

Then no separation of church and state

The Constitution does not say anything about the separation of church and state it says

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

You do understand that making laws that give churches special treatment violates the first amendment don't you?

Then Once again no separation of church and state ...

Not a business.

How progressive of you.

See that bold part?

The special tax treatment for religion is a law that respects establishments of religion by giving them special treatment

and taxing them could prevent free exercise by making it impossible for them to perform their tasks.

I noticed you didn't bold that part.

Then Once again no separation of church and state ...
There is no such separation specified in the Constitution

Not a business.

How progressive of you.

See that bold part?

So Sharia law is allowed?

And those televangelists do pay taxes on their own incomes, it's the Church itself that's treated as non-profit.
Why should it be?

Non-profit battered women's shelters pay property taxes. Churches don't. Why shouldn't they?

The Constitution does not say anything about the separation of church and state it says

Yea it was in Jefferson letters and latter ruled constitutional ..

How progressive of you.

See that bold part?

and taxing them could prevent free exercise by making it impossible for them to perform their tasks.

No it wouldn't.

As I said all any business has to do is show no profit at the end of the year and they will pay no taxes.

Why should it be?

The Jefferson letters are NOT the Constitution

Making laws that give religion special treatment violates the first amendment

How progressive of you.

See that bold part?

No it wouldn't.

As I said all any business has to do is show no profit at the end of the year and they will pay no taxes.

They have to do it as part of their exemption. They are not exempt from the paperwork.

How progressive of you.

See that bold part?

So Sharia law is allowed?

Again there is nothing in the Constitution that states the church and state must be separate.

But then again if congress passes a law that is based on a particular religion that that is also a violation of the first amendment

Why should it be?

The Jefferson letters are NOT the Constitution

Making laws that give religion special treatment violates the first amendment

They get the same treatment as any other non-profit, they just have an easier time with the justification part.

See that bold part?

No it wouldn't.

They have to do it as part of their exemption. They are not exempt from the paperwork.

NO business should have any special exemption. A nonprofit can carry its revenue from one year to another therefore they make a profit.

SO get rid of the nonprofit exemption completely and businesses that want to be non profit can show ZERO profit every year on their tax returns and not carry large sums of money from year to year tax free.

The tax exemption of churches is an example of how we've twisted the first amendment against its purpose. Taxing churches the same way everyone else is taxed isn't, as you've suggested, a concession to mingling Church and State. It's a crucial element of keeping them separate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back