The name calling and insults need to stop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah. I guess that you are right. The word “Homosexual” is so long. Fag should suffice. Likewise, some people might not understand the term “Christian”. “Jesus Freak” or “God Squader” is clearly more understandable. A Conservative is a Con. A Republican, another long term, is often shortened to “Repug”.

"God Squader?" LMAO. You seem to be really up on your labels for Christians.

Yes. Pesky little god squad members is an appropriate term for Christians.

Gee.. You don't sound like you're using derrogatory terms to merely prove a point at all.. You just sound downright bitter..

Outta get that fixed, eh? Life's too short. :)

Gee.. You don't sound like you're using derrogatory terms to merely prove a point at all.. You just sound downright bitter..

Outta get that fixed, eh? Life's too short. :)

No. I’m just playing GunnyL’s game. I know many offensive and derogatory terms but even in jest, I feel uncomfortable and “dirty” to display them. It just is not my style. I guess that you guys win the name-calling game. Congratulations.

I respectfully disagree, I think fag, jesus freak, god squader, and con are offensive. Infact, I can use the word liberal in a derogatory way. It always depends on your audience, you might have a gay friend, who doesnt care if you use the word fag, or a black guy who doesnt mind you saying nigga. But it dependants, their is no 1 set of rules, it really dependants on your audience.

But in my opinion, its not ok to say, well, i dont find it offensive, but if you do, screw you, because i dont. You can disagree, but when youre around people, if you offend them they wont hang out with you, trust me, i have learned this the hard way, which is why im in communication class, i mean sometimes, you dont mean to offend and its not your fault.

Yeah. I guess that you are right. The word “Homosexual” is so long. Fag should suffice. Likewise, some people might not understand the term “Christian”. “Jesus Freak” or “God Squader” is clearly more understandable. A Conservative is a Con. A Republican, another long term, is often shortened to “Repug”.

True, some people are very hypocritical. It is not ok, in my opinion for blacks to use the n word, and then say, others cant say it, to me the word is offensive, regardless of who says it. Words matter, and they can hurt, and being sensitive, (NOT overly sensitive) to peoples feelings and not trying to offend them is a good thing, and then if you accidently offend them just apologize and if they dont accept your apology, thats their problem.

When a word is supposedly offensive just because it exists and in any and all context YET the people it is so "offensive" too freely use it not as an offensive term, use it in music, literature, daily greetings, speech, etc etc.... I find it hard to believe it is very offensive at all.

I just think people should use common sense, and not be overly sensitive. Its a very fine line, and like with everything else, common sense, and knowing your audience is what applies.

No. I’m just playing GunnyL’s game. I know many offensive and derogatory terms but even in jest, I feel uncomfortable and “dirty” to display them. It just is not my style. I guess that you guys win the name-calling game. Congratulations.

:eusa_naughty: Actually, tis you who has called more names on this board in just two posts to this thread, than I have in ANY discussion with you. Ever. My guess is that you like feeling "dirty". :cool:

What game is that? You mean the one where I've been just sitting here pulling your chain? Only takes a 3-letter-word.:cool:

No it is not appropriate, is it rather quite offensive.

It's only offensive if you allow it to be. It's a label. Does it change your beliefs in any way?

If one is secure in one's beliefs/stances, then one shouldn't worry about waht those trying to destroy those beliefs call you. Reacting is EXACTLY what they want.

:eusa_naughty: Actually, tis you who has called more names on this board in just two posts to this thread, than I have in ANY discussion with you. Ever. My guess is that you like feeling "dirty". :cool:

Look, you dumb broad. I was just proving my point through exaggeration. As for that likely Repug, he can go on name-calling for all I care. It just shows his class.

Look, you dumb broad. I was just proving my point through exaggeration. As for that likely Repug, he can go on name-calling for all I care. It just shows his class.

Class has nothing to do with calling something what it is. But I DO consider calling something everything but what it is in the hopes of not offending the overy-sensitive lacking in spine. Your overly-sensitive sensibilities are not going to dictate how I choose to speak.

As far as "he" is concerned, calling something what it is not is a whole different ballgame. I am not a Republican and never have been.

Thankfully, I don't live my life according to the dictionary. I do not let it define people, or things for me, but rather use my own intelligence and thought power to make up my mind...

So you essentially make up your own definitions for all words?

Congratulations on having a philosophy that renders communicating with you impossible and useless. Except you don't, actually, because usually you follow the dictionary and the accepted meanings of words. You just don't want to this time because you can't admit you are wrong.

posted by gunny
Class has nothing to do with calling something what it is. But I DO consider calling something everything but what it is in the hopes of not offending the overy-sensitive lacking in spine. Your overly-sensitive sensibilities are not going to dictate how I choose to speak.

Overly sensitive? Its calling being respectful. Just as you don't go around calling people ******, bitch, ****, etc, etc, fag is a very disrespectful word to use. It is not that its not PC, its that it is blatantly offensive. PC is calling someone African American instead of black. Respect is calling someone gay or homosexual instead of fag. Respect is calling someone Jewish instead of ****, and black instead of ******.

It's only offensive if you allow it to be. It's a label. Does it change your beliefs in any way?

If one is secure in one's beliefs/stances, then one shouldn't worry about waht those trying to destroy those beliefs call you. Reacting is EXACTLY what they want.

Which is why certain offensive labels are censored on this board, right?

Overly sensitive? Its calling being respectful. Just as you don't go around calling people ******, bitch, ****, etc, etc, fag is a very disrespectful word to use. It is not that its not PC, its that it is blatantly offensive. PC is calling someone African American instead of black. Respect is calling someone gay or homosexual instead of fag. Respect is calling someone Jewish instead of ****, and black instead of ******.

One of my more endearing traits is I don't pretend to be something I'm not, and nobody's got to guess what I'm thinking. I see no reason to show respect for something I do not respect.

One of my more endearing traits is I don't pretend to be something I'm not, and nobody's got to guess what I'm thinking. I see no reason to show respect for something I do not respect.

Show respect because they are a human being.

Which labels would that be? And how were they censored?

c unt. And it comes out as stars when you type it.

You keep playing that game, even when I did not post something to you. Who is pulling whose chain and who is getting worked up over name-calling? Look. Different terms are used for the same thing. There is the offensive term “fag” to suit your bias -

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/fag

Offensive Slang
Used as a disparaging term for a homosexual man.

rather than the inoffensive term “homosexual” or “gay”.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/homosexual

One who is sexually attracted to members of your own sex.

Petty name-calling certainly does show one’s class and character. I have an excellent spine. I do call things what they are. A homosexual is a homosexual. A heterosexual is a heterosexual. I call things what they are and I do it without resorting to derogatory and offensive name-calling.

As far as "he" is concerned, calling something what it is not is a whole different ballgame. I am not a Republican and never have been.

Okay. So I stand corrected. You are not a Republican. By the way: I’m not dictating how anyone is to speak. Don’t throw the “free speech” argument at me. I’m simply giving my opinion as you are giving yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back