The name calling and insults need to stop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was unaware of that. I don't use the word, so I've never had occasion to notice.

I was unaware of it as well until I tried to type it to make a point.

Fag does not mean the same thing as homosexual. Fag means "homosexual which I disapprove of". And really, get over yourself. You can refer to something without constantly stating that you disapprove of it. In fact, you really should...for a lot of reasons.

Are you ok with people saying Kikes, ******, spics, etc? If not, then what is the difference?

You keep playing that game, even when I did not post something to you. Who is pulling whose chain and who is getting worked up over name-calling? Look. Different terms are used for the same thing. There is the offensive term “fag” to suit your bias -

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/fag

Offensive Slang
Used as a disparaging term for a homosexual man.

rather than the inoffensive term “homosexual” or “gay”.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/homosexual

One who is sexually attracted to members of your own sex.

Petty name-calling certainly does show one’s class and character. I have an excellent spine. I do call things what they are. A homosexual is a homosexual. A heterosexual is a heterosexual. I call things what they are and I do it without resorting to derogatory and offensive name-calling.

Okay. So I stand corrected. You are not a Republican. By the way: I’m not dictating how anyone is to speak. Don’t throw the “free speech” argument at me. I’m simply giving my opinion as you are giving yours.

I'm not throwing a "free speech" argument at you. I addressed self-censorship; which, while related to free speech, is not a free speech argument in and of itself.

You choose to censor yourself. I censor myself. On this specific topic, I would say I am the liberal and you the conservative.

Words do not define class and character ... actions do.

Now I want you to think about this REAL hard, matts .... we've gone round and round over the topic of homosexuality for several years, and how often have I used any other terms than "homosexuals" or "gays" to define them?

I use inciteful words ONLY when I wish to incite, and I'm rather surprised you haven't snapped to that fact. The only times I have ever insisted that I will call homosexuals "fags" is when I have you ro someone like you trying to lecture me on how I'm supposed to act according to YOUR rules.

My entire argument here is I'm not going to be told what I can and cannot say based on somebody else's arbitrary self-censorship because they are afraid to they might offend someone. And THAT is NOT having a spine. It's allowing others to dictate your behavior.

I was unaware of it as well until I tried to type it to make a point.

Fag does not mean the same thing as homosexual. Fag means "homosexual which I disapprove of". And really, get over yourself. You can refer to something without constantly stating that you disapprove of it. In fact, you really should...for a lot of reasons.

Are you ok with people saying Kikes, ******, spics, etc? If not, then what is the difference?

Nothing to get over. I refer you to my post preceeding this one.

You assuming to know what I think is a far more prevalent problem here than what I actually think.

I'm not throwing a "free speech" argument at you. I addressed self-censorship; which, while related to free speech, is not a free speech argument in and of itself.

You choose to censor yourself. I censor myself. On this specific topic, I would say I am the liberal and you the conservative.

I disagree...words define them as well. All we have here is words and I think I can definitely differentiate between the class and character of several board members.

I use inciteful words ONLY when I wish to incite, and I'm rather surprised you haven't snapped to that fact. The only times I have ever insisted that I will call homosexuals "fags" is when I have you ro someone like you trying to lecture me on how I'm supposed to act according to YOUR rules.

You can act however you want...but don't be surprised when people condemn you for acting incitefully.

My entire argument here is I'm not going to be told what I can and cannot say based on somebody else's arbitrary self-censorship because they are afraid to they might offend someone. And THAT is NOT having a spine. It's allowing others to dictate your behavior.

Of course others dictate your behavior. Language is created by others, not by you. The things you say were created by someone else. You say bread to mean that doughy thing we eat because someone else defined that. Its not about allowing others to dictate your behavior. Me and Matt are saying you should act a certain way, not because we arbitrarily feel its good, but because it is disrespectful, class-less, etc, etc not too. Why these things matter is because I, and I believe him, both think that you are not inherently disrespectful, class-less, etc. Hence we use those terms to show how you using the word fag, while yes you have a right to say it, exhibits a disharmony between your character as shown by other actions, and your character as shown by that particular action.

I was on the recieving end of that word, incorrectly and very hurtfully for a number of years when I was younger. Because of certain circumstances beyond my control the perception was that I was gay...hence a "fag". It was used by homophobes and kids in middle school who hadn't grown up yet. I got beat up a few times because of it. I'm not telling this because I want any sympathy, I don't. Merely to try and get you to realize that it is a word that can do great damage to people, and yes that is partially why I take offense to it. You think "har har, I am inciting people and pissing them off for fun, go me", but to some it is actually very hurtful. And no not in a "omg I disagree with you, shut up" sort of way...in a "people hate me because I want to be happy" sort of way...which is really pretty fucked up. I've had friends who are gay who don't have to deal with this shit that often...but when they do it visibly shakes them. Its scary for two young women or men who are walking along the side of the road holding hands to have some guys in a pickup truck go roaring by and scream "fags" out at them. Hell its scary to me and I'm straight for fucks sake.

If you want to associate yourself with that type of behavior, go for it. But realize that is what people who are in the gay community, or know about the gay community, will associate you with. Its not about being thin skinned Gunny...its about a whole lot more than that.

Actions and statements both reveal character. Words mean things and reveal just as much about a person as his behavior – perhaps more so. People are more inclined to monitor their behavior more than they monitor what comes out of their mouths.

This reminds me of the many “fighting words and “Freudian Slips” that politicians make.

Now I want you to think about this REAL hard, matts .... we've gone round and round over the topic of homosexuality for several years, and how often have I used any other terms than "homosexuals" or "gays" to define them?

Right off hand, I have not found many, if any at all.

I am not lecturing you on how to follow “my rules”. I am merely giving you my opinion on people who use offensive terms when they could just as easily use neutral terms in making their argument.

I’m not even a moderator on this board. Again, I am merely giving my opinion about those who stoop to name-calling.

Nothing to get over. I refer you to my post preceeding this one.

You assuming to know what I think is a far more prevalent problem here than what I actually think.

I am interpreting what you think from what you say. If I've made an incorrect interpretation, feel free to correct me. But realize that language is a shared medium and you do not have exclusive control over definitions.

Actions and statements both reveal character. Words mean things and reveal just as much about a person as his behavior – perhaps more so. People are more inclined to monitor their behavior more than they monitor what comes out of their mouths.

This reminds me of the many “fighting words and “Freudian Slips” that politicians make.

Right off hand, I have not found many, if any at all.

I am not lecturing you on how to follow “my rules”. I am merely giving you my opinion on people who use offensive terms when they could just as easily use neutral terms in making their argument.

I’m not even a moderator on this board. Again, I am merely giving my opinion about those who stoop to name-calling.

You're kind of missing my point. Who is and is not a moderator is irrelevant. I was not speaking in the context of who can say what on USMB. I was speaking in the context of your presuming to tell me what is right and wrong, when in actuality, you have been put on the other side of the fence from your usual position. You're arguing a conservative POV against a liberal one. Food for thought.

You haven't found many because as I stated, I don't make a habit of using inciteful language without a purpose.

I am interpreting what you think from what you say. If I've made an incorrect interpretation, feel free to correct me. But realize that language is a shared medium and you do not have exclusive control over definitions.

I have not tried to control any definitions. Instead of assuming, you could just ask instead of accusing. Probably takes the same amount of time and bandwidth.;)

You're kind of missing my point. Who is and is not a moderator is irrelevant. I was not speaking in the context of who can say what on USMB. I was speaking in the context of your presuming to tell me what is right and wrong, when in actuality, you have been put on the other side of the fence from your usual position. You're arguing a conservative POV against a liberal one. Food for thought.

You haven't found many because as I stated, I don't make a habit of using inciteful language without a purpose.

Okay. Okay. I’m getting tired of this. Perhaps I am making a mountain out of a molehill. I guess that the point that I am trying to make is that I think that people who resort to using offensive terms in their debates show low class. I do not think that you use “fag” in your posts except to incite comment. I still that that such tactics are petty and beneath you.

I am not trying to dictate what people may and may not say. I am simply giving my opinion on the matter. People can say what they want to say.

Okay. Okay. I’m getting tired of this. Perhaps I am making a mountain out of a molehill. I guess that the point that I am trying to make is that I think that people who resort to using offensive terms in their debates show low class. I do not think that you use “fag” in your posts except to incite comment. I still that that such tactics are petty and beneath you.

I am not trying to dictate what people may and may not say. I am simply giving my opinion on the matter. People can say what they want to say.

Your opinion is noted. I'm just trying to decide whether or not I want to start calling YOU a NeoCon.:rofl:

What have I assumed exactly?

It appears by your responses that you have assumed I am some gay-bashing, knuckledragger who considers homosexuals subhuman, and that I am out to deprive them of their rights. Calling me a homophobe in one post would be a good indicator of this.

I am none of those things simply because I refuse to accept homosexuality as normal behavior.

Look, you dumb broad. I was just proving my point through exaggeration. As for that likely Repug, he can go on name-calling for all I care. It just shows his class.

Was "dumb broad" another "exaggeration" on your part? For somebody that doesn't name call, you're getting quite adept at name-calling. :D

So you essentially make up your own definitions for all words?

Congratulations on having a philosophy that renders communicating with you impossible and useless. Except you don't, actually, because usually you follow the dictionary and the accepted meanings of words. You just don't want to this time because you can't admit you are wrong.

I am MORE than capable of admitting when I'm wrong. I don't mince words, I don't beat around the bush. In ANY case. Just because you find it impossible to seperate "blacks" from "*******" (which are two entirely different classes) doesn't mean the rest of the world is as ignorant. As for "fags", there are no seperate classes - one either is, or one is not. Period.

It appears by your responses that you have assumed I am some gay-bashing, knuckledragger who considers homosexuals subhuman, and that I am out to deprive them of their rights. Calling me a homophobe in one post would be a good indicator of this.

I am none of those things simply because I refuse to accept homosexuality as normal behavior.

You are gay bashing, knuckledragger...well what the hell is that anyway...I highly doubt you consider them subhuman, and we haven't talked about rights at all.

I actually didn't call you a homophobe.

And its not normal, but neither is being a marine. Normality is nothing to be proud of.

I am MORE than capable of admitting when I'm wrong. I don't mince words, I don't beat around the bush. In ANY case. Just because you find it impossible to seperate "blacks" from "*******" (which are two entirely different classes) doesn't mean the rest of the world is as ignorant. As for "fags", there are no seperate classes - one either is, or one is not. Period.

You apparently aren't capable, at least in this case.

And its not that I find it impossible to separate the two "classes", its that the rest of the world does not recognize your arbitrary distinction that exists solely in your own head. It was already shown that by an objective standard, you were incorrect. Then you claimed that you didn't need to follow other people...that you were a true individual! But now you are saying that it is me that is different from society? The world does not agree with the arbitrary definition you've made up. This was shown via a dictionary, which, in case you didn't know, is taken as the general standard for defining our words.

You lost this one girl. Admit it and move on.

You are gay bashing, knuckledragger...well what the hell is that anyway...I highly doubt you consider them subhuman, and we haven't talked about rights at all.

I actually didn't call you a homophobe.

And its not normal, but neither is being a marine. Normality is nothing to be proud of.

There is NOTHING abnormal about being a Marine. And I'll have you know my knuckles are several inches above the ground.:eusa_whistle:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back