The Melting Pot

1702271436665.png

when an elected Congressperson in the United States removes the American flag and replaces it with the Palestinian flag, there is no melting pot. She does not represent Americans and advertises that she's not American.

My great grandparents put gramps on the boat when he was in his teens, all the lowest most unaccommodating decks

He arrived at ellis island , only to meet ........>>>>

View attachment 871012
which resulted in him being placed in uniform, and sent back across the pond

the fam joke being, the first word of english he learned was 'DUCK!'

~S~
the fam joke being, the first word of english he learned was 'DUCK!'

Its tougher in the 21st Century

now migrants have to learn complete sentences such as

“when do I get my free Obama phone?”

FWIW, I went to parochial schools, 1-12, in the fifties and sixties, and I was taught that "melting pot" was a pejorative or sarcastic expression. The ideal metaphor was "mosaic," where elements of the native culture are retained during assimilation, thus creating a colorful fabric of society. Pittsburgh, my home town, has (had) a score of different ethnic neighborhoods, all with their own churches, social clubs, and businesses. We still have churches that were overtly and proudly built by German immigrants, Poles, Ukrainians, Slovenians, Chinese, and so on.

But they all knew what team they were playing for. When it came to war, they volunteered in massive numbers - even Germans - to serve their adopted country.

Would the same thing happen now with the Iranians, Syrians, Serbians, and so on?

You mean illegal border jumping greasers who have no business here other than mooching off of taxpayers
This "mooching" angle is the most ridiculous thing ever. Immigrants do NOT qualify for almost any welfare, and they work harder than YOU ever have in your life.

This "mooching" angle is the most ridiculous thing ever. Immigrants do NOT qualify for almost any welfare, and they work harder than YOU ever have in your life.

Soon after Arrival they are given clothes, a phone, food, water, $5K per person, plane ticket, motel, catered food 3X daily for how long? 90 days? 1 year? no one knows. We pay but they won't tell us how much or what we are "paying" for. The sum of initial freebies is more than they would pay in Income Taxes at a $15/hr job over 10 years if they decide to work someday. It is costly. In fact.....you don't pay Tax at all at low income - STD deductions.

Last edited:
FWIW, I went to parochial schools, 1-12, in the fifties and sixties, and I was taught that "melting pot" was a pejorative or sarcastic expression. The ideal metaphor was "mosaic," where elements of the native culture are retained during assimilation, thus creating a colorful fabric of society. Pittsburgh, my home town, has (had) a score of different ethnic neighborhoods, all with their own churches, social clubs, and businesses. We still have churches that were overtly and proudly built by German immigrants, Poles, Ukrainians, Slovenians, Chinese, and so on.

But they all knew what team they were playing for. When it came to war, they volunteered in massive numbers - even Germans - to serve their adopted country.

Would the same thing happen now with the Iranians, Syrians, Serbians, and so on?
You've a little tenure on me DG, but i can recall the same scenario , late 60's into 70's

We may have come from all walks of life, all corners of this rock

But they were all willing to take one for the team

Vs, asking for one these days.....

~S~

Forum List

Back