The Making of Another Major Motion Picture Masterpiece: A Novel By Tom Hanks

It's the director not the actors responsibility to see that the scenes are tied together to make a single coherent story. Band of Brothers is a miniseries with 10 episodes, 8 directors, and 7 writers. So it's not surprising that episodes would lack continuity. I think Hanks is more interested in creating scenes that tell stories rather than movies that tell stories. The movie he is most known for, Forest Gump is a series episode with little continuity.
Hanks did not act in Band of Brothers. He was one of the writers and the one of the exec producers. Exact opposite in Forrest Gump. He only acted in it.

And I loved Forrest Gump the movie. Don’t agree about the non-continuity. It tied very well together.

Hanks did not act in Band of Brothers. He was one of the writers and the one of the exec producers. Exact opposite in Forrest Gump. He only acted in it.

And I loved Forrest Gump the movie. Don’t agree about the non-continuity. It tied very well together.
He played in it but he had just a cameo role.

Why should you care what these people are in real life?
I never understood why people become so upset when they learn that the giant actor on the screen that they adore is a real person who says and does a lot of stupid things, dresses like a bum, and doesn't care. Just because he is great actor does not make a him a person. We pay money to see the actor not real person.
I don't, and am not.
All I said is perhaps Hanks should go back to staying out of the public like he did for years.

This is Tom's first novel and it should be his last unless he learns that story is critical in a good novel. This book is about making of a movie. It begins in 1947 with a child who will have a part in the creation of Another Major Motion Picture Masterpiece 60 years latter. Throughout the book we get vignettes of the many people who will have some part in creating the movie. However, there are no heroes nor villains. I guess Bill Johnson, the director would be the protagonist. What is good in the book is Tom's writing about the various characters, sometimes funny but always interesting. What is bad, is there really isn't much a thread tying all these vignettes together. Flashbacks in the novel destroys any thread so it's almost like reading short stories.

The message Tom wants to share with us is that making movies is about the people and the lives of the people that make them and how these people work or don't work together. You won't learn much about the process of movie making but you will get Tom's take on how the people behind the scenes determine the results.

The book is available both in text and audio. Tom narrates most of the book which probably makes it more interesting than the text
I started reading the book. Tom Hanks always was one of my all time favorite actors.

When you get to be a super rich super star you can pick any project you want even if it's a loser.
Yep, a 66 year old 2 time academy award winner with 8 nominations and 450 million dollars can create what he pleases and I think that is exactly what Tom Hanks is doing. He can chose projects he like with little concern for the money or the accolades. He has had plenty of both. If I were him, I would probably do the same thing.

Yep, a 66 year old 2 time academy award winner with 8 nominations and 450 million dollars can create what he pleases and I think that is exactly what Tom Hanks is doing. He can chose projects he like with little concern for the money or the accolades. He has had plenty of both. If I were him, I would probably do the same thing.
A self centered ego trip on steroids.

A self centered ego trip on steroids.
I think he's doing what most actors do once they get to the top and don't see any direction to go but down. About a century ago the comedian, Eddie Cantor said, "It takes 20 years in show business to become an overnight success." That is probably true for most movie stars. I think it was Glen Campbell who said, "After 30 years in the business, I am now an overnight success." That was not the case with Tom Hanks. At 21 he got his first paid acting job in the play, Taming of the Shrew. Seven years latter he was starring in his first movie, Splash. At 66, he doesn't need to make a name for himself, he's done that. Now he's free to chose whatever role he wants. I 'don't think that is being self centered or egotistical.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back