The Last Third of Life

I think that's the direction my husbands going to take as well. The real drag is that he's only 57! I mean...he can go with early retirement at reduced benefit and so forth, but the bottom line is that he's only 57!

I don't want to sound too Pollyanna here, but this closing of one door could possibly be opening another, even better one. More time to be together, etc.

• Thanks
Reactions: jan
I jumped out at first opportunity at age 55! Company was offering early-out and a sweet package. The spreadsheet I'd maintained for 5 years said there was no point in staying. The contract work started the very next day and I tapered it down for several years before shifting exclusively to pro-bono stuff which provided a place to live for the duration and lots of free time for playing as I never had. Outdoor stuff!

That said, 57 is not too young to abandon traditional work if finances allow and/or there is contract work on the horizon to bridge until pension benefits, especially Medicare, kick in. Health insurance premiums can destroy what looked like a comfortable retirement. Of course working around that is no longer as simple as it once was.

For sure about the health care premiums! As far as finances...we'd planned to pay off the house first...but no...that doesn't seem possible now. But...the workplace has become horrible for my husband! He can't wait to get out of that toxic environment. Such a sad ending at what was once a good company to work for!

So...it occurs to me that I'm probably in my last third of life and frankly, I'm not looking forward to it much. I mean what is there to look forward to anyway? Downsizing, streamlining, simplifying, planning for death, thinking about where you want to be buried...or maybe cremated, getting ill and possibly losing mobility, etc. Basically, it sucks!

The childhood years...oh those were fun! Growing, learning, goofing off, etc! The world was our oyster...just waiting to reveal it's pearl to us! Young adult...yeah, those were good too! Healthy, young, vibrant, looking forward to placing a mark on the world, etc. The kids came along, the house and furnishings, yeah it was all about growth! Even the middle years still had something to reach for...financial stability, vacations, getting the kids through college, etc. But now...with the final third...what is there that's tangible to reach for?

For years and years we boomers led the pack! Where we went and what we did affected the entire economy! It seems as if we're being phased out just as easily as the generations before us were. Our multitudes have become meaningless in our direction, impact and social reformation. It's all about the millenials now while the boomers are pushed aside in the workplace, sometimes being forced into an early retirement in lieu of a cheaper workforce chomping at the bit.

Anything boomer related these days speaks of downer stuff...aging, health issues, retirement (read "fixed income"), etc. No growth, a lack of money and resources, downsizing and death. Oh joy!!! Don't ya just feel the energy rising when thinking about that last third of life? NOT!!!
Two words: That's life.

I AM on my last third. And yeah..it sucks big hairy ones. But I wouldn't want to live forever either.

I think that's the direction my husbands going to take as well. The real drag is that he's only 57! I mean...he can go with early retirement at reduced benefit and so forth, but the bottom line is that he's only 57!

I don't want to sound too Pollyanna here, but this closing of one door could possibly be opening another, even better one. More time to be together, etc.

No...that doesn't sound Pollyanna at all! And you're right...one door closing could mean another is opening and the time together is something we haven't had a whole lot of lately, so that will be a plus. I do try to cling to the positive here...but sometimes it's really difficult.

I don't know...I just feel really old all of a sudden!

So...it occurs to me that I'm probably in my last third of life and frankly, I'm not looking forward to it much. I mean what is there to look forward to anyway? Downsizing, streamlining, simplifying, planning for death, thinking about where you want to be buried...or maybe cremated, getting ill and possibly losing mobility, etc. Basically, it sucks!

The childhood years...oh those were fun! Growing, learning, goofing off, etc! The world was our oyster...just waiting to reveal it's pearl to us! Young adult...yeah, those were good too! Healthy, young, vibrant, looking forward to placing a mark on the world, etc. The kids came along, the house and furnishings, yeah it was all about growth! Even the middle years still had something to reach for...financial stability, vacations, getting the kids through college, etc. But now...with the final third...what is there that's tangible to reach for?

For years and years we boomers led the pack! Where we went and what we did affected the entire economy! It seems as if we're being phased out just as easily as the generations before us were. Our multitudes have become meaningless in our direction, impact and social reformation. It's all about the millenials now while the boomers are pushed aside in the workplace, sometimes being forced into an early retirement in lieu of a cheaper workforce chomping at the bit.

Anything boomer related these days speaks of downer stuff...aging, health issues, retirement (read "fixed income"), etc. No growth, a lack of money and resources, downsizing and death. Oh joy!!! Don't ya just feel the energy rising when thinking about that last third of life? NOT!!!
Two words: That's life.

I AM on my last third. And yeah..it sucks big hairy ones. But I wouldn't want to live forever either.

I'm not talking about wanting to live forever...but to be viable while alive! The health is good...there is no reason for my husband to be forced to leave the workplace...he's very good at what he does. However, in his last couple evaluations he was told that he makes too much money and that the employer would rather have "energetic enthusiasm" rather than "experience" any day. Now to me that's "code" for "you're too old, get out".

I don't know...I just feel really old all of a sudden!

My late husband got early retirement when he was around 50, and believe me, I felt the same and I was only 47. Now I'm 65, and oh, to be that young again! :eusa_doh:

If you don't mind me asking...did another door open for him after his retirement?

If you don't mind me asking...did another door open for him after his retirement?

In a way. He kept his early in marriage promise to move from the California desert, to a place of my choice with 4 seasons. Then we bought an old Victorian house that needed fixing up. He fell in love with the people here, and was all agog at the different seasons. He was a much more social man after moving, and I think it was just wonderful for him.

Then he got ALS, and died six years ago. So yes, it was a door that did open for us, but just not in the regular sense.

Not meant to be a downer in any way, although it's probably reading that way. Sorry. :)

• Thanks
Reactions: jan

In a way. He kept his early in marriage promise to move from the California desert, to a place of my choice with 4 seasons. Then we bought an old Victorian house that needed fixing up. He fell in love with the people here, and was all agog at the different seasons. He was a much more social man after moving, and I think it was just wonderful for him.

Then he got ALS, and died six years ago. So yes, it was a door that did open for us, but just not in the regular sense.

Not meant to be a downer in any way, although it's probably reading that way. Sorry. :)

Thank you for sharing that very personal story. I glad you all had that quality time together before he passed. God bless!

Ecclesiastes 1 New International Version (NIV)
Everything Is Meaningless

1 The words of the Teacher,a]'>[a]A)' data-cr="#cen-NIV-17317A"> son of David, king in Jerusalem:B)' data-cr="#cen-NIV-17317B">

2 “Meaningless! Meaningless!”
says the Teacher.
“Utterly meaningless!
Everything is meaningless.”C)' data-cr="#cen-NIV-17318C">

3 What do people gain from all their labors
at which they toil under the sun?D)' data-cr="#cen-NIV-17319D">
4 Generations come and generations go,
but the earth remains forever.E)' data-cr="#cen-NIV-17320E">
5 The sun rises and the sun sets,
and hurries back to where it rises.F)' data-cr="#cen-NIV-17321F">
6 The wind blows to the south
and turns to the north;
round and round it goes,
ever returning on its course.
7 All streams flow into the sea,
yet the sea is never full.
To the place the streams come from,
there they return again.G)' data-cr="#cen-NIV-17323G">
8 All things are wearisome,
more than one can say.
The eye never has enough of seeing,H)' data-cr="#cen-NIV-17324H">
nor the ear its fill of hearing.
9 What has been will be again,
what has been done will be done again;I)' data-cr="#cen-NIV-17325I">
there is nothing new under the sun.
10 Is there anything of which one can say,
“Look! This is something new”?
It was here already, long ago;
it was here before our time.
11 No one remembers the former generations,J)' data-cr="#cen-NIV-17327J">
and even those yet to come
will not be remembered
by those who follow them.K)' data-cr="#cen-NIV-17327K">

Retiring or not, always ask about senior discounts.

I made the mistake of not asking, just assuming it started at 65. Supermarkets where I then lived had one senior discount day each week. On 65th birthday I proudly asked for my senior discount, mentioning the birthday.

The clerk laughed like hell. Told me I had passed up TEN YEARS of 10% off.

Also I had missed out on Free-for-life hunting/fishing/trapping license amd paid for years I didn't have to.

But the best ones didn't start until 65:

Free-for-life registration for one vehicle.

$150,000 exemption against property tax on prime residence.

Only weak one is, where I live now, 10% off for seniors on groceries is only one day each month and only on "house brands". Still, not only does it help when the shopping is pre-planned but also makes it possible to buy a full cart of good stuff for donation to the food bank for just $50!

Spend the last 1/3 of your life

1.) drinking very good red wine
2.) hearing fantastic music
3.) fucking many women
4.) stroking your dog behind the ears and playing catch with him.
5.) enjoying your grandkids

All of the above and travel.

I'm 68, have never been happier, I'm healthy, having the best sex I've ever had (and a lot more often!) and not ready to say bye and fold it up yet.

I posted about a documentary about Gahan Wilson that has been playing on Free Speech TV. He's 80-ish and talked about knowing it wouldn't be long before he was no longer here and that he didn't feel any anguish or fear about it.

My oldest and dearest friend was also my mentor in working with wildlife. He died a couple of years ago at the age of 86. We talked a lot about getting older and I found he had the best attitude I had ever seen. If I can do it as well as he did, I'll be at peace when its my turn.

No matter what your age, life is what you choose to make it.

My oldest and dearest friend was also my mentor in working with wildlife. He died a couple of years ago at the age of 86. We talked a lot about getting older and I found he had the best attitude I had ever seen. If I can do it as well as he did, I'll be at peace when its my turn.

That's what I would call "dying well".

I'd love to get some other opinions about what it means to "die well".

Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on that sad height,
Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.

Dylan Thomas

No everything is all rosey but maybe that is what you need to hear so I'll keep my mouth shut.

Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on that sad height,
Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.

Dylan Thomas

Outstanding setting of this for solo tenor, Trombone Quartet and String Quartet by none other than:

Igor Stravinsky

(This is cool, you can see the notes go by.....)

Forum List

Back