The Last Third of Life

Interesting choice of words I think...there is a decline going on. We spend our lives accumulating and towards the end (or in that last third) we give it all away and downsize. What was it all for? Why the incline only to lead to a decline? Why can't we just ride the incline until the moment of death and then look forward to the fast drop like that of a rollercoaster? I mean, what a rush, right?

Why do we still have the same societal standards and norms that were in place 100 years ago? Why must there be a decline at all?

Your final descent can be a rush!

Suicide by Roller Coaster Discovery News

As one well into the final quarter.....

The first half of that FQ is for play. For travel. For doing the stuff you wanted to but felt you couldn't afford.

The last half of the FQ is for putting things in order. Or for making sure those who deserved to be screwed over actually do get screwed over. Sometimes that's difficult.

The hardest part is working out how to die the very day your lawyer tells you bankruptcy is all that's left.

Without forcing the issue.

Trips this year will include:

Peru
New England
England
Israel/Jordan
Possibly Rome or Istanbul

Want any pictures from those places? I do take requests and never charge for them.

I'd love to see the pictures of your travels! But you're right though...bankruptcy is the end game and we'll all wind up living with our children while they change our diapers! I mean...talk about a decline!!!!! Dignity and all in the end...GONE!

With a lot of Boomers being forced into retirement by corporations before their own choosing it seems to me that we are dancing to society's music and I ain't likin' the beat much! Make no mistake, age discrimination is alive and well in the workplace nowadays! The corporations can get the millenials much cheaper than paying for all the experience of a seasoned worker such as a boomer. So...we march to the dated beat of a society that is antiquated.

The first half of that FQ is for play. For travel. For doing the stuff you wanted to but felt you couldn't afford.

The last half of the FQ is for putting things in order. Or for making sure those who deserved to be screwed over actually do get screwed over. Sometimes that's difficult.

The hardest part is working out how to die the very day your lawyer tells you bankruptcy is all that's left.

Peru
New England
England
Israel/Jordan

Want any pictures from those places? I do take requests and never charge for them.

I'd love to see the pictures of your travels! But you're right though...bankruptcy is the end game and we'll all wind up living with our children while they change our diapers! I mean...talk about a decline!!!!! Dignity and all in the end...GONE!

With a lot of Boomers being forced into retirement by corporations before their own choosing it seems to me that we are dancing to society's music and I ain't likin' the beat much! Make no mistake, age discrimination is alive and well in the workplace nowadays! The corporations can get the millenials much cheaper than paying for all the experience of a seasoned worker such as a boomer. So...we march to the dated beat of a society that is antiquated.
Eh, just start a business and flip da bird to the corporate tools...

Peru
New England
England
Israel/Jordan

I now do contract work, work when I want and the great thing they don't care how old you are they need a specific job done and if you have the skills you work .Me, I work maybe 3- 5 months a year as a contract Engineer

Interesting choice of words I think...there is a decline going on. We spend our lives accumulating and towards the end (or in that last third) we give it all away and downsize. What was it all for? Why the incline only to lead to a decline? Why can't we just ride the incline until the moment of death and then look forward to the fast drop like that of a rollercoaster? I mean, what a rush, right?

Why do we still have the same societal standards and norms that were in place 100 years ago? Why must there be a decline at all?

Your final descent can be a rush!

Suicide by Roller Coaster Discovery News

Now that's a trip! Serious food for thought, that one! Dude needs to get it up and running!

I now do contract work, work when I want and the great thing they don't care how old you are they need a specific job done and if you have the skills you work .Me, I work maybe 3- 5 months a year as a contract Engineer

That part WAS great. Set any price and let them decide how badly they want the job done. Sometimes amazing.

Then be real selective and only do pro-bono stuff (mine was broadcast engineering) for good causes and good people. After almost 20 years of that it's tapering off though one of the first transmitters I installed on that basis is almost ready to be replaced!

Last edited:
The the final quarter people "make allowance for your age". You can count each day a success if you make one person happy. Or, you can count any day as a failure if you fail to piss someone off. Either way. Some days, both.
We can see your swings,,,had your case of manopause yet???

That part WAS great. Set any price and let them decide how badly they want the job done. Sometimes amazing.

Then do be real selective and only do pro-bono stuff (mine was broadcast engineering) for good causes and good people. After almost 20 years of that it's tapering off though one of the first transmitters I installed on that basis is almost ready to be replaced!
TV or radio?

[/QUOTE]
I now do contract work, work when I want and the great thing they don't care how old you are they need a specific job done and if you have the skills you work .Me, I work maybe 3- 5 months a year as a contract Engineer[/QUOTE]

I think that's the direction my husbands going to take as well. The real drag is that he's only 57! I mean...he can go with early retirement at reduced benefit and so forth, but the bottom line is that he's only 57! To me that seems way too early for a company to start pushing someone out, but it's been happening for about 2 years now...the company just wants cheaper help...that's the bottom line.

It just seems strange that at this company the official retirement age is 62...and at our age a full retirement from social security doesn't happen until we're 66 1/2. So...there are a lot of mixed signals in todays society about at what age one should be expected to retire. However, I've never heard of 57 being a normal age for a company to start turning the screws. Although this particular one did go bankrupt in the past and is looking for anyway to save a penny.

Ok...I know...TMI! Sorry!

I now do contract work, work when I want and the great thing they don't care how old you are they need a specific job done and if you have the skills you work .Me, I work maybe 3- 5 months a year as a contract Engineer[/QUOTE]

I think that's the direction my husbands going to take as well. The real drag is that he's only 57! I mean...he can go with early retirement at reduced benefit and so forth, but the bottom line is that he's only 57! To me that seems way too early for a company to start pushing someone out, but it's been happening for about 2 years now...the company just wants cheaper help...that's the bottom line.

It just seems strange that at this company the official retirement age is 62...and at our age a full retirement from social security doesn't happen until we're 66 1/2. So...there are a lot of mixed signals in todays society about at what age one should be expected to retire. However, I've never heard of 57 being a normal age for a company to start turning the screws. Although this particular one did go bankrupt in the past and is looking for anyway to save a penny.

Ok...I know...TMI! Sorry![/QUOTE]

Many company's start turning the screws at 50, a lot of older people contract, the days of 30 years and out is over in this country, They can also pay the younger cheaper and feed em more bull shit and control them

The the final quarter people "make allowance for your age". You can count each day a success if you make one person happy. Or, you can count any day as a failure if you fail to piss someone off. Either way. Some days, both.

Well yeah...I'm personally looking forward to that senior discount at some point! But it somehow seems a bit soon for that...but then again...

Ok...I know...TMI! Sorry![/QUOTE]

Many company's start turning the screws at 50, a lot of older people contract, the days of 30 years and out is over in this country, They can also pay the younger cheaper and feed em more bull shit and control them[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I gave up trying to return to corporate rat race after stopping my company due to health, so another business start up for me...or I could do general contracting, but, I am so burned out doing contractor work for the past 25 years..

Dealing with a couple of the above in one go.....

Radio or TV?

First radio then TV then TV (studio) equipment. The latter provided the most fertile ground for contract work. Very lucrative contract work but the best part of that was the provision in all my contracts that there would be no bullshit meetings required. Just do the job. The pro-bono suff, only radio....both studio and transmitter and only analog. Too late in life to clutter up the mind with anything more digital than a CD player.

I jumped out at first opportunity at age 55! Company was offering early-out and a sweet package. The spreadsheet I'd maintained for 5 years said there was no point in staying. The contract work started the very next day and I tapered it down for several years before shifting exclusively to pro-bono stuff which provided a place to live for the duration and lots of free time for playing as I never had. Outdoor stuff!

That said, 57 is not too young to abandon traditional work if finances allow and/or there is contract work on the horizon to bridge until pension benefits, especially Medicare, kick in. Health insurance premiums can destroy what looked like a comfortable retirement. Of course working around that is no longer as simple as it once was.

[/QUOTE]
Many company's start turning the screws at 50, a lot of older people contract, the days of 30 years and out is over in this country, They can also pay the younger cheaper and feed em more bull shit and control them[/QUOTE]

With people living longer nowadays that just seems way too early to turn the screws. We live longer, we're in better health, but we're pushed out to pasture at an earlier age! I don't know, but something seems very wrong with this societal model.

Forum List

Back