The importance of "soul food" in your diet!

Lub dat stuff.
Sweepatata pie.
Posssum an sweet bread.
Pickud pig fee and picku egg.
Reeeebz and conebreh.

Seriously. I like all that stuff.
YouTube - Eddie Murphy - Buckwheat stand up

i hate when people pretend they know southern...

no one has offered me a damned possum belly in ages...

pickled eggs go with beets.....not pickled pigs feet

no one has cornbread with ribs....baked beans , tater salad, cole slaw but not cornbread

which is always served with fish...fried fish damn it....you always served bread with fish in case a bone gets caught in the throat the bread will dislodge it. (does anyone really believe that will happen)

watermelon is served on raging hot days with a shaker of salt

I've never been a big fan of "soul food". I guess that makes me a racist. Uuuummmmmmmm..................
(Of course it could have something to do with extremely limited exposure and what exposure there was involved the mess hall cooking chitterlings once a month.)

o i dont do chitterlings
I don't either! My first experience was walking past the mess hall kitchen area when they were being prepped. I caught a big whiff and suddenly lost my appetite! If breakfast hadn't have been digested already I would have lost it also.
I do like collards with vinegar, those are good.

i can remember when hogs were slaughter in the fall.....when you had a good freeze...everyone would gather and salughter hogs...

you can credit blacks with bbq ...

I'm cooking venison stew tonight.

It's in the oven now. Potatoes and carrots later. Seasoned with salt, pepper and bay and nothing else. I have rosemary, but that won't work with the bay. I might put some thyme in.

I think I'll skip the thyme and put in worcestershire sauce and a brown gravy mix!

So here's the recipe:

Elk stew meat (whoops, its' not venison)
flour
salt
pepper
garlic
bay leaf
oil
potatoes
carrots
worcestershire sauce
brown gravy mix

dredge the meat and fry until brown. Liberally salt and pepper, a little garlic if you like.

Put in casserole and add water and bay leaf. Cook, covered, in slow oven (I cooked @ 325 for about a half hour, then turned down to 250) well we're going on 3 hours.

When I go home I'll add gravy packet, worcestershire sauce and veggies, including some onion and cook until they're tender. maybe an hour.

How about some Seoul food?

kimchi1lrg.jpg

Forum List

Back