The House just voted to allow hunters to kill bears hibernating with their young

basquebromance

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2015
If their decision passes into law, hunters will be allowed to enter dens where bears are hibernating and kill their entire families. They would also be allowed to shoot and kill wolf families, including their pups.

Slaughtering entire families of hibernating bears is cowardly and inhumane. Bears pose no danger to humans or livestock when they're sleeping through the winter. Culling wolf families is a short-sighted plan that will push their numbers toward extinction again.

Please provide a link. Without it we can only comment on your hearsay. Reading the bill in its entirety may provide different and relevant insight into this matter.

pc5o9Kegi_zpstdw5icw9.png

Last edited by a moderator:
It eases obamas regulations and gives control of it back to Alaska. Alaska had laws against it since 94'.

If their decision passes into law, hunters will be allowed to enter dens where bears are hibernating and kill their entire families. They would also be allowed to shoot and kill wolf families, including their pups.

Slaughtering entire families of hibernating bears is cowardly and inhumane. Bears pose no danger to humans or livestock when they're sleeping through the winter. Culling wolf families is a short-sighted plan that will push their numbers toward extinction again.

Heads up. The culling of predators in Alaska is an obligation that the Alaskan government must fulfill by treaty to First Nations.

That's only part of the story, that just says, in effect, "no."

Why not read what they are saying, "no" to?
https://www.fws.gov/policy/library/2016/2016-18117.pdf
27 pages of arguments and regulations that are the State's business, not the federal government's. Do YOU live in Alaska? Why is this any of my state's business, even if I oppose it, why should I care? It's none of my business. It's like me trying to tell Germany how they should manage their wildlife.

These predators endanger First Nations food supplies. AKA caribou. First Nations in Alaska don't have a Kroger's around every corner.

The reason has to do with states rights (like segregation of schools and killing of hibernating animals) and protecting agribusinesses.

For those that don't understand what the cull is about here's a quick link. This is to a cull in Canada, but it's the same for Alaska.

Saulteau First Nations supports wolf cull, chief says
Jonny Wakefield / Alaska Highway News

December 1, 2015

Forestry and oil and gas development in the South Peace have opened up the backcountry with roads and clearings, making ideal hunting grounds for wolves. Photo By Mark Kent
The chief of Saulteau First Nations says he supports the B.C. government's controversial wolf cull, saying the program is needed to shore up declining moose and caribou populations.

The cull, which enters its second season this winter, will see around 200 wolves shot from helicopters in hopes of preserving dwindling caribou populations.

"Moose, caribou, everything is getting hammered by (wolves)," Saulteau Chief Nathan Parenteau told the Alaska Highway News at a signing ceremony with provincial government ministers Nov. 22.

Forestry and oil and gas development in the South Peace have opened up the backcountry with roads and clearings, making ideal hunting grounds for wolves. Right-of-ways and roads built for the Site C dam are expected to put even more pressures on ungulate populations in the region.

"Site C isn't even done yet," Parenteau said. "Oil and gas and forestry, and the access that's created for wolves, creating new roads and pathways for them to follow, it's allowed their populations to skyrocket.

More at link:

"It's a matter of balance," he said. "We've put it into an area where it's unbalanced, now we have to bring that balance back. Part of that may be a cull."

Saulteau First Nations supports wolf cull, chief says

haven't read it yet, only what the op said, but allowed to kill MOTHER bears with CUBS in their Den, just seems WRONG WRONG AND WRONG????

haven't read it yet, only what the op said, but allowed to kill MOTHER bears with CUBS in their Den, just seems WRONG WRONG AND WRONG????

This is a planned cull that would be directed by Alaska's Fish and Game department I would imagine.This is to protect First Nations food supplies. Oh and baby bears grow up to be very very big bears.

It has nothing to do with First Peoples' food supplies.

Where in blazes did you get that nonsense?

This is a planned cull that would be directed by Alaska's Fish and Game department I would imagine.This is to protect First Nations food supplies. Oh and baby bears grow up to be very very big bears.
I know Tiny but this simply seems wrong to me...I still have not read the articles posted yet....

But killing a mama bear in it's den and it's cubs, while sleeping/hibernating is simply awful, and all the shows I have watched on Alaska and the Natives and the way they respect the lives of all animals, and kill only for food purposes and an immediate threat to their own lives, and thank God for their kills for providing food.... yes, there is some trapping which seems cruel but they not only use their furs for their own coats and blankets for survival, but they will eat the animal if edible and they will use every single part of the animal killed, from making gelatin out of their tendons, string and rope , making tools and jewelry and buttons out of bones....just making the absolute most out of every kill to show their respect and thanks for the animal who gave their life for them...

Doesn't fit or jive, in my head, with killing a mother and her young, while completely peaceful and sleeping. That's hard for me to stomach....
A measure like killing a bear and cubs while sleeping, just does not FIT with all that I thought they were, as human beings living in unison with Nature.

Forum List

Back