Congress Just Made It Officially Legal To Kill Hibernating Bears

58e9435a16000021004d97d0.jpeg

The law rolls back Alaska’s ban on killing the vulnerable bears, along with wolf cubs in dens. It also allows for hunters to target the animals from helicopters.

Hunters in Alaska can now track and kill hibernating bears thanks to a U.S. House and Senate resolution rolling back Obama-era regulations against the practice.

President Donald Trump signed the bill into law on Monday, which rolled back Alaska’s ban on killing the vulnerable bears, along with wolf cubs in dens. It also allows for hunters to target the animals from helicopters.

The Republican-sponsored legislation impacts 76.8 million acres of federally protected national preserves across Alaska.

Sens. Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska) and Dan Sullivan (R-Alaska) took to the Senate floor last month to denounce the previous rule that the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service issued in August.

Murkowski called it “bad for Alaska, bad for hunters, bad for our native peoples, bad for America,” and a “direct attack on states’ rights.”

In Sullivan’s argument, the lawmaker said the change was for Alaskans “who value hunting as a deep part of their culture.”

The Humane Society of the United States condemned the rollback.

More: Congress Just Made It Officially Legal To Kill Hibernating Bears

Kill hibernating bears? Kill wolf cubs in dens? Helicopters? That doesn't sound like hunting to me. It sounds like extermination. Does "fair chase" require too much effort these days?

So maobama bent over for the econazis and it got reversed. Your title should have read:

Congress Just Made It Officially Legal To Kill Hibernating Bears Again

maobamas regime rammed many regulations through on the way out the door and congress is using the CRA to void them, there's another half dozen or so bills still pending. Good on congress.

Actually this was an issue a few years back. Our local wolf pack started killing dogs in the neighborhood and crossed the line when they attacked a woman walking her dog behind my house and ate the golden out of his collar while she beat on them with sticks. We needed to kill that alpha, he was leading the pack into neighborhoods to prey on human pets. The feds wouldn't let us take him out humanely - a single shot from a plane - so instead we had to fuck around with laying traps that other animals and maybe even people might blunder into. Thankfully we did kill him, and a few others of the pack that probably didn't need to die but for them stepping into the trap first... Just sayin'

What does that have to do with murdering hibernating bears while they sleep?

On 3 April 2017, President Trump signed H.J. Res. 69, a joint U.S. House and Senate resolution nullifying Obama-era regulations banning the use of certain “predator control” hunting methods on the 76.8 million acres of federally-protected national preserves across Alaska.

The repealed restrictions were enacted in 2016 by the Fish and Wildlife Service after years of disputes between the U.S. government and the state of Alaska over the legality of such practices as bear baiting, hunting via aircraft, killing hibernating bears, and “denning” (killing wolves, coyotes, and offspring in their dens) on or near federally protected lands.
In reality, however, most of those practices were already prohibited to sport hunters under Alaska law, and some of them, including hunting coyotes in their dens and killing hibernating bears and cubs, were permitted to subsistence hunters even under the federal regulations.

President Trump Signs Bill Lifting Ban on 'Predator Control' Hunting Practices in Alaska

Sounds to me like a states rights vs federal overreach thing to me.

GOOD , there are more than enough bears and wolves in Alaska !!

Maybe, but they were there before humans. Don't they have rights?
. The Gators down in Louisiana are just as vulnerable, and there are plenty of them. The hunters can only kill and tag so many per season. It is like it is with any hunting, where as a thinning of the heard has to take place or the animals will start becoming a serious problem to human areas, crops, fisheries, and territories. Now if I were hunting, it is that I couldn't or wouldn't kill an animal while it sleeps or is vulnerable in that way. Did the bill contain other regs that we're more focused upon, and this more than the other specifics in the regs that prompted the bill maybe ??? Trump might not have known about that part of it when signed it.. hmmm..

Last edited:
Hunters who support this are cowardly dogs. They don't have the guts to hunt animals without help that makes it unfair. Animals may not have rights but we have the duty to be good stewards of the environment.

I just wonder if anything is safe from the Republican Party and their extreme views. To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, I didn't leave the Republican Party. it left me. I am beginning to think that the Republicans need to lose the House and I do think it could happen. The Republicans give Democrats more material for 30 second ads every week.

. The Gators down in Louisiana are just as vulnerable, and there are plenty of them. The hunters can only kill and tag so many per season. It is like it is with any hunting, where as a thinning of the heard has to take place or the animals will start becoming a serious problem to human areas, crops, fisheries, and territories. Now if I were hunting, it is that I couldn't or wouldn't kill an animal while it sleeps or is vulnerable in that way. Did the bill contain other regs that we're more focused upon, and this more than the other specifics in the regs that prompted the bill maybe ??? Trump might not have known about that part of it when signed it.. hmmm..

As per usual - I doubt Trump had a clue about what he was signing. And I doubt he cares.

The deplorables have taken over.
---------------------------hopefully for the next 8 years and after those those 8 years , 8 more years with Mike Pence MR.Clean !!

Last edited:
On 3 April 2017, President Trump signed H.J. Res. 69, a joint U.S. House and Senate resolution nullifying Obama-era regulations banning the use of certain “predator control” hunting methods on the 76.8 million acres of federally-protected national preserves across Alaska.

The repealed restrictions were enacted in 2016 by the Fish and Wildlife Service after years of disputes between the U.S. government and the state of Alaska over the legality of such practices as bear baiting, hunting via aircraft, killing hibernating bears, and “denning” (killing wolves, coyotes, and offspring in their dens) on or near federally protected lands.
In reality, however, most of those practices were already prohibited to sport hunters under Alaska law, and some of them, including hunting coyotes in their dens and killing hibernating bears and cubs, were permitted to subsistence hunters even under the federal regulations.

President Trump Signs Bill Lifting Ban on 'Predator Control' Hunting Practices in Alaska

The key words are "76.8 million acres of federally-protected national preserves". BTW, the people of Alaska didn't buy Alaska - U.S. taxpayers did.

The United States purchased Alaska from the Russian Empire on March 30, 1867, for 7.2 million U.S. dollars at approximately two cents per acre ($4.74/km2). The area went through several administrative changes before becoming organized as a territory on May 11, 1912. It was admitted as the 49th state of the U.S. on January 3, 1959.[5]

Alaska - Wikipedia

It is quite reasonable to assume that Trump had no idea what was in it. All he wanted was something he could sign and brag about. However Trump is fully complicit in the assault on ordinary people. He suspended a rule that would have required financial advisors to but their clients' interests above their own. That is a rule that was needed. He suspended a rule that would have required airlines to disclose hidden fees when a customer buys a airline ticket. That should be a no-brainer rule.

It is quite reasonable to assume that Trump had no idea what was in it. All he wanted was something he could sign and brag about. However Trump is fully complicit in the assault on ordinary people. He suspended a rule that would have required financial advisors to but their clients' interests above their own. That is a rule that was needed. He suspended a rule that would have required airlines to disclose hidden fees when a customer buys a airline ticket. That should be a no-brainer rule.
------------------------------------------------- Trumps kids are gun owners and hunters and so the President knows what the deal is . Concerning airline tickets and that other financial rule you mention as i roll my eyes , well , let the buyer BEWARE BBee !!

thank you for the History on Alaska . Those Russians messed up same as the French and Lousiana and the 'mexican' with 'guadalupe hidalgo' eh Lakhota ??

Maybe Alaska would like to purchase those 76.8 million acres - at today's prices for real estate.

From the OP:

Rep. Don Young (R-Alaska), who introduced the measure, argued that states’ rights were being infringed upon by the rule.

“We have to recognize this is not about the little polar bears, the little grizzly bears or wolves on television, this is about the state’s right to manage — not allowing the federal government to do so,” Young said in testimony in February. “We want to be able to take and manage our fish and game for the sustainable yield — so that our fish and game will be there forever.”

Brett Hartl, government affairs director at the Center for Biological Diversity, said killing predators in such a “cruel, unsportsmanlike fashion is outrageous.”

. Sounds as if these rules or regs were put through on bills that had many other regs involved, so when redacting the worst of these regs, then it is probably catching these other add on's up in the redactions. It's the same when bills get passed or brought to the floor for a vote, where as the bills are sometimes packed with add on's/pork that need the popularity of a bill to get the not so popular parts of a bill to be passed also. I imagine the redactions are of the same effect only in reverse.

The key words are "76.8 million acres of federally-protected national preserves". BTW, the people of Alaska didn't buy Alaska - U.S. taxpayers did.

The United States purchased Alaska from the Russian Empire on March 30, 1867, for 7.2 million U.S. dollars at approximately two cents per acre ($4.74/km2). The area went through several administrative changes before becoming organized as a territory on May 11, 1912. It was admitted as the 49th state of the U.S. on January 3, 1959.[5]

Alaska - Wikipedia
Basically this is Trump letting Alaska decide how to handle their own problems without liberals sticking their noses into it.
I don't like the hunting of any animals of any kind, but for some crazy reason it seems to have caused them to flourish instead of starve during the winter because of depleted food supplies.

Alaska - Wikipedia
Basically this is Trump letting Alaska decide how to handle their own problems without liberals sticking their noses into it.
I don't like the hunting of any animals of any kind, but for some crazy reason it seems to have caused them to flourish instead of starve during the winter because of depleted food supplies.

Then let Alaska buy those 76.8 million acres from the federal government - then they can have all the states' rights they want.

Hunters who support this are cowardly dogs. They don't have the guts to hunt animals without help that makes it unfair. Animals may not have rights but we have the duty to be good stewards of the environment.

I just wonder if anything is safe from the Republican Party and their extreme views. To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, I didn't leave the Republican Party. it left me. I am beginning to think that the Republicans need to lose the House and I do think it could happen. The Republicans give Democrats more material for 30 second ads every week.
-------------------------------------------------------- nobody cares about this stuff outside of YOU and liberal / dem message board readers except that Lakhota just posted this news . Now after Lakhotas reporting a few or many lib dems are suddenly aware and want to pick on the President . Course , even on this board there are some that like the idea and some that don't like the idea . Its the same in the general public except that most of the general public will never KNOW BBee !!

Alaska - Wikipedia

Then let Alaska buy those 76.8 million acres from the federal government - then they can have all the states' rights they want.
I don't think you understand. Trump basically turned it over to the state. He figures it's none of his business.
The state will enforce poaching laws.

Forum List

Back