Congress Just Made It Officially Legal To Kill Hibernating Bears

Why did the Federal Government need to stick their nose in it?

Alaska Fish and Game knows much better than a bunch of fat assed urban dwellers who wouldn't last one day alone in Last Frontier State

On 3 April 2017, President Trump signed H.J. Res. 69, a joint U.S. House and Senate resolution nullifying Obama-era regulations banning the use of certain “predator control” hunting methods on the 76.8 million acres of federally-protected national preserves across Alaska.

The repealed restrictions were enacted in 2016 by the Fish and Wildlife Service after years of disputes between the U.S. government and the state of Alaska over the legality of such practices as bear baiting, hunting via aircraft, killing hibernating bears, and “denning” (killing wolves, coyotes, and offspring in their dens) on or near federally protected lands.
In reality, however, most of those practices were already prohibited to sport hunters under Alaska law, and some of them, including hunting coyotes in their dens and killing hibernating bears and cubs, were permitted to subsistence hunters even under the federal regulations.

President Trump Signs Bill Lifting Ban on 'Predator Control' Hunting Practices in Alaska

Sounds to me like a states rights vs federal overreach thing to me.

The key words are "76.8 million acres of federally-protected national preserves". BTW, the people of Alaska didn't buy Alaska - U.S. taxpayers did.

The United States purchased Alaska from the Russian Empire on March 30, 1867, for 7.2 million U.S. dollars at approximately two cents per acre ($4.74/km2). The area went through several administrative changes before becoming organized as a territory on May 11, 1912. It was admitted as the 49th state of the U.S. on January 3, 1959.[5]

Alaska - Wikipedia
Basically this is Trump letting Alaska decide how to handle their own problems without liberals sticking their noses into it.
I don't like the hunting of any animals of any kind, but for some crazy reason it seems to have caused them to flourish instead of starve during the winter because of depleted food supplies.

Then let Alaska buy those 76.8 million acres from the federal government - then they can have all the states' rights they want.
I don't think you understand. Trump basically turned it over to the state. He figures it's none of his business.
The state will enforce poaching laws.

Poaching laws? You mean like murdering hibernating bears and baby wolf pups in their dens.

Alaska Fish and Game knows much better than a bunch of fat assed urban dwellers who wouldn't last one day alone in Last Frontier State

Did Alaska Fish and Game make the decision?

By the way, the federal government bought Alaska.

Did Alaska Fish and Game make the decision?

Yes. And this dipshit overruled them...

b6f.jpg

On 3 April 2017, President Trump signed H.J. Res. 69, a joint U.S. House and Senate resolution nullifying Obama-era regulations banning the use of certain “predator control” hunting methods on the 76.8 million acres of federally-protected national preserves across Alaska.

The repealed restrictions were enacted in 2016 by the Fish and Wildlife Service after years of disputes between the U.S. government and the state of Alaska over the legality of such practices as bear baiting, hunting via aircraft, killing hibernating bears, and “denning” (killing wolves, coyotes, and offspring in their dens) on or near federally protected lands.
In reality, however, most of those practices were already prohibited to sport hunters under Alaska law, and some of them, including hunting coyotes in their dens and killing hibernating bears and cubs, were permitted to subsistence hunters even under the federal regulations.

President Trump Signs Bill Lifting Ban on 'Predator Control' Hunting Practices in Alaska

Sounds to me like a states rights vs federal overreach thing to me.

The key words are "76.8 million acres of federally-protected national preserves". BTW, the people of Alaska didn't buy Alaska - U.S. taxpayers did.

The United States purchased Alaska from the Russian Empire on March 30, 1867, for 7.2 million U.S. dollars at approximately two cents per acre ($4.74/km2). The area went through several administrative changes before becoming organized as a territory on May 11, 1912. It was admitted as the 49th state of the U.S. on January 3, 1959.[5]

Alaska - Wikipedia
Basically this is Trump letting Alaska decide how to handle their own problems without liberals sticking their noses into it.
I don't like the hunting of any animals of any kind, but for some crazy reason it seems to have caused them to flourish instead of starve during the winter because of depleted food supplies.

Then let Alaska buy those 76.8 million acres from the federal government - then they can have all the states' rights they want.
I don't think you understand. Trump basically turned it over to the state. He figures it's none of his business.
The state will enforce poaching laws.

Poaching laws? You mean like murdering hibernating bears and baby wolf pups in their dens.
Exactly. That's what your story says. Those are already against Alaskan state laws.

58e9435a16000021004d97d0.jpeg

The law rolls back Alaska’s ban on killing the vulnerable bears, along with wolf cubs in dens. It also allows for hunters to target the animals from helicopters.

Hunters in Alaska can now track and kill hibernating bears thanks to a U.S. House and Senate resolution rolling back Obama-era regulations against the practice.

President Donald Trump signed the bill into law on Monday, which rolled back Alaska’s ban on killing the vulnerable bears, along with wolf cubs in dens. It also allows for hunters to target the animals from helicopters.

The Republican-sponsored legislation impacts 76.8 million acres of federally protected national preserves across Alaska.

Sens. Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska) and Dan Sullivan (R-Alaska) took to the Senate floor last month to denounce the previous rule that the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service issued in August.

Murkowski called it “bad for Alaska, bad for hunters, bad for our native peoples, bad for America,” and a “direct attack on states’ rights.”

In Sullivan’s argument, the lawmaker said the change was for Alaskans “who value hunting as a deep part of their culture.”

The Humane Society of the United States condemned the rollback.

More: Congress Just Made It Officially Legal To Kill Hibernating Bears

Kill hibernating bears? Kill wolf cubs in dens? Helicopters? That doesn't sound like hunting to me. It sounds like extermination. Does "fair chase" require too much effort these days?
Just tell the progressives a hibernating bear is just like a fetus then they will have no problem killing them, hell, they'll probably get the government to pay for it and let all elementary school kids know about it incase they ever want to kill a little bear.

Apparently the people in Alaska can't survive a they have to cheat. This is not hunting, this is barbarism. This is one time that I agree with Obama. The state is not always the entity that knows best. They can be corrupted by politics.

The law rolls back Alaska’s ban on killing the vulnerable bears, along with wolf cubs in dens. It also allows for hunters to target the animals from helicopters.

Hunters in Alaska can now track and kill hibernating bears thanks to a U.S. House and Senate resolution rolling back Obama-era regulations against the practice.

President Donald Trump signed the bill into law on Monday, which rolled back Alaska’s ban on killing the vulnerable bears, along with wolf cubs in dens. It also allows for hunters to target the animals from helicopters.

The Republican-sponsored legislation impacts 76.8 million acres of federally protected national preserves across Alaska.

Sens. Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska) and Dan Sullivan (R-Alaska) took to the Senate floor last month to denounce the previous rule that the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service issued in August.

Murkowski called it “bad for Alaska, bad for hunters, bad for our native peoples, bad for America,” and a “direct attack on states’ rights.”

In Sullivan’s argument, the lawmaker said the change was for Alaskans “who value hunting as a deep part of their culture.”

Kill hibernating bears? Kill wolf cubs in dens? Helicopters? That doesn't sound like hunting to me. It sounds like extermination. Does "fair chase" require too much effort these days?
Washington Redskin
You should not speak of what you do not understand… Stay out of the fire water

You city folk know NOTHING about this. We've been managing our wildlife forever, without assistance from federal bureaucrats who live in fucking DC and know zip zero zilch about anything up here. Leave us and our wildlife alone, they are key to our tourism, we're not letting them get wiped out, nor are we going to let you idiots in big cities endanger the health of their numbers through your unknowledgeable bullshit. We take good care of them; that's why wolves, grizzlies, browns, blacks, linx, fox, hell even Polar's in Alaska are not endangered under our care. We have bears and wolves and linx and fox who come regularly into our yards, by choice, not by any stupid laws you dolts in the lower 48 put through. You fucked up the wildlife in the lower 48, you tried to "manage it" and look at what you did down there; you almost extincted the wolves, cougars, etc. Stay out of it, our guys know what they are doing way better than you idiots.

Sometimes you have to take out a sow or a male to improve the health of the population, they get diseases and shit, we cull them - and it's a hell of a lot safer for humans, and more humane for the bear, to kill them while they are down for the winter. You don't have a clue what a grizzly can do to a person, they will eat you even after you shoot them, they're like fucking crack addicts with how many bullets it takes - It's unnecessary when one well placed bullet ends all the suffering and danger.

I already explained the wolves, a single target taken from the air because it's fucking forest and you can't catch them, they're shadows, and the "bad" ones, the ones who develop a taste for dog, or worse for human, you gotta take them out, you can't let them teach the entire pack that shit, it goes on for years, generations of them and home owners will wipe out the entire pack, from a plane we can take out just the one; the sick one, or the one who's leading the pack into eat pets who have zero defenses because of human's domesticating them.

Sometimes it is necessary.

Despite the supposedly "crying" grizzly in the injun's OP, I have no problem with locating and killing problem bears whatever they're doing at the moment. Kind of surprising since the gorebal warming lunatics were telling us bears have stopped hibernating because of higher temps. Bears hibernate because there is little to no food in the dead of winter. So the OP inadvertently brings more doubt about their claim that the arctic is being "destroyed" because we drive SUVs. Add to that a curled-up bear is more difficult to kill since its vitals aren't exposed and you have a scenario that eludes common sense.

A person shooting a hibernating bear is no more a hunter than a serial rapist is a ladies' man.

...and I am not an anti-hunter and probably in my lifetime hunted as much or more than any of the RW posers on this forum.

A person shooting a hibernating bear is no more a hunter than a serial rapist is a ladies' man.

...and I am not an anti-hunter and probably in my lifetime hunted as much or more than any of the RW posers on this forum.

First off, a miserable prick like you doesn't have success hunting...not ever. In my opinion there is nothing "sporting" about any kind of hunting unless your game is able to shoot at you first. With that being said, a "hibernating" bear is no less dangerous because they're not really asleep and can come out of their den in a furious charge. I know a guy who de-dened a black bear in northern Michigan and almost lost his life but for having a pal with him who grabbed a broken branch and clubbed the bruin into submission.

First off, a miserable prick like you doesn't have success hunting...not ever. In my opinion there is nothing "sporting" about any kind of hunting unless your game is able to shoot at you first. With that being said, a "hibernating" bear is no less dangerous because they're not really asleep and can come out of their den in a furious charge. I know a guy who de-dened a black bear in northern Michigan and almost lost his life but for having a pal with him who grabbed a broken branch and clubbed the bruin into submission.

Oh my, still hurting I see.

Oh my, still hurting I see.

From what....?

Winning the WH/Senate/House/SCOTUS

Yeah...he's in real pain.

Forum List

Back