THE HOMELESS ---- OUR SHAME

Sonny Clark

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2014
Gadsden Alabama
It may not be our most pressing cause, but it's certainly one of our more urgent responsibilities, and one of humane duty and conscious consideration for our fellow man. We, as a society, have created a perception and attitude that those less fortunate deserve the hardships and mistreatment meted to them as a product of their own doing. We judge without full knowledge of their background and the possible tragedies they endured over time. The following story contains many truths and the realization that homelessness is a shame on us all. Yes, we could do better for our fellow man, and we should.

On patrol with Skid Row s angel cop - CNN.com

Please read the entire article so that you can see and understand that in the wealthiest nation on Earth, poverty and homelessness is common place, and that most of it is neglected as well as accepted. The story is well written, and paints a picture of human despair and hopelessness. It also tells of a cop that has dedicated himself to this cause, and considers it his duty and responsibility.

With all of the wasteful spending by all levels of government, there's no excuse for not addressing homelessness, and actively seeking doable workable solutions. After all, we do spend untold multi-$Millions on the care and support of illegal immigrants. Why not care for our own first?

For every "poor person with a tragic story" there are multiple numbers of losers in line to take advantage of assistance programs and benefits. As with all big government programs there is no effort to sort and verify the two groups...so the taxpayer gets hosed and the pol gets reelected and the LIBTARDS get to feeeeeeeel good.

There are lots of homes and apartments out there and work to be done so buying or renting is a possibility for those who care to pursue it. They can share a place like I did when poor. The shame is in those pretending America is at fault. How shameful when immigrants can come here and do OK. Some much more than OK.

• Banned
For every "poor person with a tragic story" there are multiple numbers of losers in line to take advantage of assistance programs and benefits. As with all big government programs there is no effort to sort and verify the two groups...so the taxpayer gets hosed and the pol gets reelected and the LIBTARDS get to feeeeeeeel good.
But, even though there are so-called "losers" that you're referring to, we can't simply throw a blanket over the entire lot and classify all as "losers". There are many that have dealt with situations and circumstances beyond their control. During the recent recession/depression, many families, yes, women and children became homeless through no fault of their own. Also, not everyone is mentally able to cope with adversity and hardship. They simply give up. In addition, our socioeconomic environment doesn't afford everyone equal opportunity. For many, the deck is stacked against them from the beginning. Some suffer from mental issues, others have physical issues that keeps them from advancing in life.

Regardless of the judgment we pass on them, we should at least give them the benefit of the doubt and attempt to help them become active and productive members of society. I agree that all can not be helped, and they will forever be a sore spot on society. But, many can be helped and encouraged to better themselves. We owe it to those wanting a better life, to assist them in doing so. Remember, we're talking about families, women and children, and those with either mental or physical handicaps. Saying "all" are deserving of their lot in life, is unfair, unjust, and inhumane. Because some are drug addicts, prostitutes, and just pain worthless, doesn't mean "all" should be ignored, discarded, and classified as "one". As a civil and humane society, we owe them a chance to regain dignity and a feeling of self-worth. We have the resources, why not use those resources to help fellow Americans?

Society doesn't owe anyone shit. The nuts need to be locked up and the rest can prey on suckers or find work. Many choose to drop out and are victims only of themselves.

• Banned
There are lots of homes and apartments out there and work to be done so buying or renting is a possibility for those who care to pursue it. They can share a place like I did when poor. The shame is in those pretending America is at fault. How shameful when immigrants can come here and do OK. Some much more than OK.
There's a huge difference between these people and illegal immigrants. When it comes to illegal immigrants, we feed them, house them, employ them, educate them, and give them health care, all with taxpayers' dollars. Yes, America is at fault in many of the cases. There are families homeless as a direct result of the recent recession/depression. We have women and children homeless because they suffered financial hardships in recent years. America is at fault because we've taken away self-supporting opportunities for many citizens. That's exactly why we have so many receiving some form of government assistance. America has not provided living wage opportunities that cover all education and skill levels.

And, as our population grows at its present rapid pace, this problem is going to get worse, much worse. We'll continue to have tent cities, shelters running over, food pantries with empty shelves, and street people. The homeless, poor, and less fortunate, will grow in number due to the lack of self-supporting opportunities that cover all education and skill levels. Yes, it's shameful that we give illegal immigrants more than we give many American citizens. And, illegal immigrants get way more news coverage, public attention, and financial assistance than many Americans get. Our system even neglects homeless Vets and homeless children. We are considered to be a civil and humane people, yet we allow some to die on our streets due to inhumane treatment and filthy conditions. It is our responsibility to correct this social injustice.

It may not be our most pressing cause, but it's certainly one of our more urgent responsibilities, and one of humane duty and conscious consideration for our fellow man. We, as a society, have created a perception and attitude that those less fortunate deserve the hardships and mistreatment meted to them as a product of their own doing. We judge without full knowledge of their background and the possible tragedies they endured over time. The following story contains many truths and the realization that homelessness is a shame on us all. Yes, we could do better for our fellow man, and we should.

Please read the entire article so that you can see and understand that in the wealthiest nation on Earth, poverty and homelessness is common place, and that most of it is neglected as well as accepted. The story is well written, and paints a picture of human despair and hopelessness. It also tells of a cop that has dedicated himself to this cause, and considers it his duty and responsibility.

With all of the wasteful spending by all levels of government, there's no excuse for not addressing homelessness, and actively seeking doable workable solutions. After all, we do spend untold multi-$Millions on the care and support of illegal immigrants. Why not care for our own first?

Well take up collection from all your friends and then chip in your weekly paychecks to give them a helping hand. If you don't then it's YOUR SHAME
Cnn should throw in a few bucks too since they ran the story shouldn't they?

Where are the families of these homeless, why can't they help? My brother after loosing his job last year had to be taken in by me and my family because he lost his home. This is not a responsibility of the government except in the case where the homeless and mentally disturbed. It is the responsibility of the families to help their members out, unless that homeless member is so destructive that he can not be permitted to be taken in my a family member.

• Banned
Society doesn't owe anyone shit. The nuts need to be locked up and the rest can prey on suckers or find work. Many choose to drop out and are victims only of themselves.
In my opinion, I don't think that you're looking at the big picture. It seems that you're throwing a blanket over the whole lot, and classifying "all" by the obvious truths about others. There are many different stories. Each one has their own set of circumstances and tragic situations. Remember, there are a lot of women and children homeless, including some of our Vets. Not everyone that is homeless, has created their present situation. We're quick to pass judgment without knowing each individual story. We don't know the number of homeless with psychological and physical issues that prevents them from becoming active and productive members of society.

Not all homeless are drug addicts, prostitutes, and career bums. Many are victims of the socioeconomic environment that we've created. The least we can do is to give the benefit of the doubt to those wanting to better their life, and to become active and productive members of society.

Well take up collection from all your friends and then chip in your weekly paychecks to give them a helping hand. If you don't then it's YOUR SHAME
What's really needed, is to change some of the wasteful spending into actual beneficial help via assistance programs. The list of waste and abuse of tax dollars is long. Also, without knowing each individual situation and circumstance, it's very difficult to answer the questions concerning the assistance by family members, to help family members that are presently homeless.

Some homeless people are less able than others.

There is one homeless man in our hospital we're caring for who health has simply deteriorated. He cannot work, so it isn't so easy. I'm a conservative, but I also believe in showing true compassion to those who are far less fortunate than others. For those who are able to work, I'd like to see jobs being provided for them. Part of the problem is how jobs that could be done in America get taken overseas. We should focus on keeping jobs here in America, even if it's jobs that some think are "beneath" us.

Yes some can work while others live in trailer parks getting government cheese and welfare and Medicaid while whining about the government :eusa_whistle:

I am not mentioning any names..steph :eusa_whistle:

I believe in charity. There are some good ones out there:

Habitat for Humanity literally builds homes for families in need.
Salvation Army literally houses many folks who've hit bottom.
Denver Rescue Mission is a local charity that's basically a microcosm of the Salvation Army but an independent charity.

Some homeless folks choose to be homeless. Some are running from the law or personal responsibility. Some seem to thrive on the negative attention they get. Many don't see a need to get a home when it's a lot easier and cheaper to take advantage of all of those free handouts.

Some homeless people also struggle with mental illnesses or behavioral issues.

Denver Rescue Mission is a local charity that's basically a microcosm of the Salvation Army but an independent charity.

Some homeless folks choose to be homeless. Some are running from the law or personal responsibility. Some seem to thrive on the negative attention they get. Many don't see a need to get a home when it's a lot easier and cheaper to take advantage of all of those free handouts.

Agreed, a lot of them choose to live that way but as you said there are a lot Charitable organizations out there to give anyone a helping hand. I also agree with Wake. we need more jobs to stay in THIS COUNTRY. This government could do something about that instead they just keep regulating them to death where they LEAVE. I don't know where it ends.

Agreed, a lot of them choose to live that way but as you said there are a lot Charitable organizations out there to give anyone a helping hand. I also agree with Wake. we need more jobs to stay in THIS COUNTRY. This government could do something about that instead they just keep regulating them to death where they LEAVE. I don't know where it ends.

One more point: As long as we continue to allow illegals to flow into this nation, unhindered, then we can expect America's current homeless situation to remain status quo (or worse). As long as the illegals continue taking the jobs that could go to currently unemployed Americans then there can only be one logical conclusion -- unemployed and homeless Americans.

I've always thought that I would thrive as a homeless person. I'm attracted to simplicity. I'm an avid camper and accomplished hiker. I've got hella survival skillz. I have a solar charger for my iPhone. I would get a gym membership where I could shower whenever I want. That reduces my cost of living to 3 total bills- food, phone and gym.

And, I actually might be headed that way. I like the idea of being totally off the grid, in terms of participating in social programs. I've opted out of Obamacare. I don't think I'll be collecting Social Security or Medicare if I survive to senior citizenship. That's not my bag.

In traditional Hindu society, they have what they call the 4 stages of man.
  • The First Ashrama - "Brahmacharya" or the Student Stage
  • The Second Ashrama - "Grihastha" or the Householder Stage
  • The Third Ashrama - "Vanaprastha" or the Hermit Stage
  • The Fourth Ashrama - "Sannyasa" or the Wandering Ascetic Stage
In two years after my daughter goes off to college, I'll enter the Hermit Stage. I'll sell my house and get a cabin with a loft. Eventually, I'll transition into the wandering holy man stage. It's just a different mentality, a different way of thinking, the total antithesis of what we as Americans regard as shameful.

What's really needed, is to change some of the wasteful spending into actual beneficial help via assistance programs. The list of waste and abuse of tax dollars is long. Also, without knowing each individual situation and circumstance, it's very difficult to answer the questions concerning the assistance by family members, to help family members that are presently homeless.

What is really needed is a expansion of Bush's faith based initiatives. No matter how well intended you are the government sees people as numbers, no passion or compassion. They will spew money out to numbers without regard to actual need. It is a total waste of time and money because poverty feeds on poverty. The more we prob up poverty the more it grows. It is only natural that people will elect to not work when they do not have too work.

We need to get those people work, if they can't work then they need treatment. We need to help them with the end goal of them supporting themselves. One thing we could do which would be fairly painless is pay the same amount to a poor family regardless of the numer of children. That would be incentive not to have more children then what could be afforded. It could be phased in.

In my opinion, I don't think that you're looking at the big picture. It seems that you're throwing a blanket over the whole lot, and classifying "all" by the obvious truths about others. There are many different stories. Each one has their own set of circumstances and tragic situations. Remember, there are a lot of women and children homeless, including some of our Vets. Not everyone that is homeless, has created their present situation. We're quick to pass judgment without knowing each individual story. We don't know the number of homeless with psychological and physical issues that prevents them from becoming active and productive members of society.

Not all homeless are drug addicts, prostitutes, and career bums. Many are victims of the socioeconomic environment that we've created. The least we can do is to give the benefit of the doubt to those wanting to better their life, and to become active and productive members of society.
You're reading way more into my posts. I'm capable of speaking my mind. I didn't call them all losers, nuts or druggies. I said society doesn't owe them anything. Period. Society owes it to itself to police up the problem ones and put them somewhere. The society is still there for those who make the effort to join it. You can give all your money away if you want, just don't try to force the your sense of obligation onto me.

I've always thought that I would thrive as a homeless person.

My friend, that is foolish thinking. You don't want to be homeless. Especially when in your older years. I have seen it. I have cared for it. I have treated their wounds, their illnesses, and their disabilities. You don't want to do that.

Thriving as a minimalistic person, however...

I'm an actual minimalist, and have been thriving from it. Big difference from being homeless.

Forum List

Back