A Pastor transformed himself into a homeless person

I don't see any reason to make this into any kind of conspiracy theory. I have visited many churches that were very much like the one described in the OP. Those who looked like they would fit in with everybody else are greeted, welcomed and treated nicely. Others not so much. Again the difference between 'doing' church and BEING the Church. All congregations have not learned that.
What does "doing church" mean? Is it about playing the old hypocrisy card where Christians have to live up to a higher standard while agnostics, jihadists, satanists and abortionists escape scrutiny?

I don't see any reason to make this into any kind of conspiracy theory. I have visited many churches that were very much like the one described in the OP. Those who looked like they would fit in with everybody else are greeted, welcomed and treated nicely. Others not so much. Again the difference between 'doing' church and BEING the Church. All congregations have not learned that.
Jesus said many are called but few are chosen

Many are attracted to Him and attempt to follow Him but then when the road gets bumpy and it looks like a losing thing to do ALL he said, many bail.

And all who continue to follow Him will experience hardships in doing so, which Jesus warned about, calling it the narrow way. It is not easy "liking" the downtrodden who often are smelly and just unattractive. But as the old rock song put it

Deep inside we're all the same

Many are attracted to Him and attempt to follow Him but then when the road gets bumpy and it looks like a losing thing to do ALL he said, many bail.

And all who continue to follow Him will experience hardships in doing so, which Jesus warned about, calling it the narrow way. It is not easy "liking" the downtrodden who often are smelly and just unattractive. But as the old rock song put it

There are really crazy people out there who murder people in houses of worship. If you think you can trust your life to an old rock song you are in for a rude awakening. We are not all the same inside. Try entering the White House or a decent restaurant or a Hollywood movie set while pretending to be homeless. You will find yourself in the street or worse. Nobody can be like Jesus but Lefties quote Jesus when they want accuse Christians of hypocrisy.

I believe the rock song is wrong. I do not believe that deep inside we are all the same. And the fact is some churches become so focused on doing church they forget to be the Church. That is all I am saying. And I know from long experience that I am right.

What does "doing church" mean? Is it about playing the old hypocrisy card where Christians have to live up to a higher standard while agnostics, jihadists, satanists and abortionists escape scrutiny?
No. "Doing church" instead of being the Church has nothing to do with any of the hate language directed at Christianity. "Doing Church" is all about comfort, appearances, ambiance. Everything should be proper, look right and run smoothly. The Pastor is expected to conform to particular expectations. The congregation becomes comfortable with people who dress and think and behave as the others do and those are the ones that will be welcomed warmly into the congregation. Most donations go to hiring the 'perfect staff', maintenance of the property so that the lawn is manicured, the choir is elegantly robed, and the building looks amazing inside and out. Anything that ruffles the surface of a perfect pond is not acceptable.

None of that is bad in itself. But when that is what the congregation mostly is, it is only doing church, not being the Church that feeds the hungry, welcomes the stranger, visits those in prison, spreads the Gospel etc.

No. "Doing church" instead of being the Church has nothing to do with any of the hate language directed at Christianity. "Doing Church" is all about comfort, appearances, ambiance. Everything should be proper, look right and run smoothly. The Pastor is expected to conform to particular expectations. The congregation becomes comfortable with people who dress and think and behave as the others do and those are the ones that will be welcomed warmly into the congregation. Most donations go to hiring the 'perfect staff', maintenance of the property so that the lawn is manicured, the choir is elegantly robed, and the building looks amazing inside and out. Anything that ruffles the surface of a perfect pond is not acceptable.

None of that is bad in itself. But when that is what the congregation mostly is, it is only doing church, not being the Church that feeds the hungry, welcomes the stranger, visits those in prison, spreads the Gospel etc.
Look around, Christian ministries feed the hungry and minister to impoverished foreign nationals every day. Tradition and ceremony is important even if you don't understand it. Every sane person wants comfort, ambiance and appearance to count for something. Why single out Christian Churches?

Last edited:
Look around, Christian ministries feed the hungry and minister to impoverished foreign nationals every day. Tradition and ceremony is important even if you don't understand it. Every sane person wants comfort, ambiance and appearance to count for something. Why single out Christian Churches?
You are completely missing the point here and I don't know how to explain it any better. Those who know understand perfectly what I am saying. If you had any clue about my background working for the church you wouldn't even suggest I'm singling out Christian Churches. The OP is about a specific Christian congregation that needed a wake up call. I think they got one and will be the much better for it.

You are completely missing the point here and I don't know how to explain it any better. Those who know understand perfectly what I am saying. If you had any clue about my background working for the church you wouldn't even suggest I'm singling out Christian Churches. The OP is about a specific Christian congregation that needed a wake up call. I think they got one and will be the much better for it.
A wakeup call from a specific tolerant Christian Church that offered a clown dressed as a homeless person a place in the congregation? What's the point again?

I don't think you even read the OP. Do have a pleasant evening.
You can't let this go and neither will I. I read the O.P and it criticized a Christian congregation for apparently moving an alleged "homeless man" to a different seat during services? Is there anything else?

You can't let this go and neither will I. I read the O.P and it criticized a Christian congregation for apparently moving an alleged "homeless man" to a different seat during services? Is there anything else?
If that's all you got out of the story you either didn't read it or you seriously need a crash course in reading comprehension.

If that's all you got out of the story you either didn't read it or you seriously need a crash course in reading comprehension.
Cold and dirty stares? Is that what you base your opinion on? It seems to me that the Christian church goers acted in an appropriate way. What have you gotten out of the story?

Forum List

Back